8th September 2008, 06:33
Pathetic this season.

Discuss.

pino
8th September 2008, 06:35
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129301

F1boat
8th September 2008, 07:47
I think that "pathetic" is a bit harsh for a driver who won two races. I think, however, that he is really frustrated this season, because Massa is beating him and that's why he is either not motivated or too reckless. After yesterday, I think that his chance of repeating the championship title are gone, but I hope that he will do well and help Massa win the championship.

pino
8th September 2008, 07:49
I think that "pathetic" is a bit harsh for a driver who won two races...

...and was leading a very difficult race with 2 laps to go ;)

ShiftingGears
8th September 2008, 08:50
I was hoping for 4 Belgian victories in a row so much. I was quite disappointed with the final result.

Although I think it underlines the point that the McLaren is the better car under wet conditions.

ioan
8th September 2008, 09:22
With 10 or so laps to go, the Austrian commentator, a pretty poor one, was saying that Kimi either won his races in Spa or he didn't finish.

He was right on this one too.

SivoxII
8th September 2008, 09:37
To be honest, I've never really warmed to Kimi, but I felt for him today. Such a great effort under the tiitanic pressure he must be under, only to end up in the wall at such a late stage of the race.

So clearly Massa is now Numero Uno in Ferrari.

Garry Walker
8th September 2008, 10:48
Very unlucky this season. Lost 3 wins due to idiotic circumstances.

Qualifying troubles are evident, race pace is still the best in F1. But in todays f1 that matters little.

555-04Q2
8th September 2008, 11:27
I felt sorry for him when he went into the wall and it was evident his race was over, he really had a very strong race up until that point, probably his strongest of the season. But you have to finish the race to make it count.

His qualifying and race pace has been poor this year (except for some fastest lap which counts for nothing in my book) and he is languishing in fourth spot on the WDC standings. His #2, Massa, is destroying him this season. He needs to shape up and soon.

Garry Walker
8th September 2008, 11:31
His qualifying and race pace has been poor this year (except for some fastest lap which counts for nothing in my book)

His qualifying has been awful, but his racepace has almost without exception been very very good.

555-04Q2
8th September 2008, 11:35
His qualifying has been awful, but his racepace has almost without exception been very very good.

Hard to tell as most times he has been stuck behind "slower" cars after qualifying badly. He has shown some pace on occasion once he has a clear piece of track which gave him some fastest laps.

Garry Walker
8th September 2008, 11:37
Hard to tell as most times he has been stuck behind "slower" cars after qualifying badly. He has shown some pace on occasion once he has a clear piece of track which gave him some fastest laps.

Exactly, he has mostly been stuck behind slow cars, but almost without exception, the moment he has clear space, he is very fast in the race.
Faster than Massa, usually. But Massa is much better in qualifying. The fastest in F1 in that regard at the moment.

ShiftingGears
8th September 2008, 11:43
Exactly, he has mostly been stuck behind slow cars, but almost without exception, the moment he has clear space, he is very fast in the race.
Faster than Massa, usually. But Massa is much better in qualifying. The fastest in F1 in that regard at the moment.

Definitely. 8 fastest laps this year is no fluke. But it's frustrating seeing him in this position - it isn't like he isn't capable.

ioan
8th September 2008, 12:00
Qualifying troubles are evident, race pace is still the best in F1. But in todays f1 that matters little.

Especially when that race pace is there only for 10% of the race.

Garry Walker
8th September 2008, 14:26
Especially when that race pace is there only for 10% of the race.

The race pace is there all the time. The problem is being stuck behind slower cars.

It is imperative for him to solve that problem and if he manages that, it will be awfully hard for other drivers to beat him.

jens
8th September 2008, 18:13

Again this "The Fastest" talk. Our former TV F1 commentator once (about 1,5 years ago I think) said that Kimi is the fastest driver of all times. :laugh:

Dave B
10th September 2008, 12:12
The race pace is there all the time. The problem is being stuck behind slower cars.

It is imperative for him to solve that problem and if he manages that, it will be awfully hard for other drivers to beat him.
Qualify better or learn to overtake. How hard can it be? Massa and Hamilton seem to manage it :p

ioan
10th September 2008, 13:02
Another thing that people seem to forget is that most of those fastest laps from Kimi were achieved towards the end of the races, when the track offers the best conditions for such a feat and the car it's light, unlike other drivers like Hamilton and Massa who seem to get the best of their material before the last pitstop, when they push each other hard.

So yeah, fastest lap means squat as long as you finish outside of the podium and half a minute behind your team mate, just ask BMW about Heidfeld's fastest laps.

jens
10th September 2008, 18:12
IMO fastest lap as such is not a meaningful statistical method to really analyze anything... "Fastest lap" is a good example, how statistics can create flawed conclusions.

For example Kovalainen has 2 fastest laps to his name in 2008 against Hamilton's 0, but I doubt there are many people, who believe Heikki is actually the faster of the two McLaren drivers... Ayrton Senna managed less than 20 fastest laps during his career, so he must have been a slow driver... Etc.

janneppi
10th September 2008, 18:16
The fast laps mostly indicate that Kimi likes to see how fast he can push the car when he is the clear air, if it's faster than anyone elses, even the better.

rabf1
10th September 2008, 19:30
"Ayrton Senna managed less than 20 fastest laps during his career, so he must have been a slow driver"

Going for pole is when you need the fastest single lap, which Senna was the best at.

Fastest race lap is the most irrelevant statistic as far as I am concerned.

DexDexter
10th September 2008, 21:49
Qualify better or learn to overtake. How hard can it be? Massa and Hamilton seem to manage it :p

How many World Championships have they won?

yodasarmpit
10th September 2008, 22:04

None, but I'm sure if you googled you could have found that out by yourself :)

jens
11th September 2008, 09:55
Fastest race lap is the most irrelevant statistic as far as I am concerned.

Exactly my thoughts.

555-04Q2
11th September 2008, 11:30

Exactly. If the two comparably lowly paid non-WDC's can do it, whats up with the current WDC :?:

gloomyDAY
20th September 2008, 03:03
Forget what anyone says! This is why I love Kimi:

I don’t know what time the race is. Is it in the evening? Good. I enjoy evenings and night time more anyhow. I like to sleep until noon every day so for me this seems the perfect venue. I am more awake in the evenings than in the mornings. :laugh: I guess he just found out that the race at Singapore is at night.

markabilly
20th September 2008, 19:02

:laugh: I guess he just found out that the race at Singapore is at night.

"I like to sleep until noon every day so for me this seems the perfect venue"

That explains it

I was wrong. :( so sorry....
--I thought he had ADD!!!

My guess would be more like to sleep in until about 1:15 pm, then wakes up enough to set fast lap and get out of the car....

He should win, no problem @ singaport. If not, he can always drink a port...

21st September 2008, 11:02

:laugh: I guess he just found out that the race at Singapore is at night.

I am going to give Kimi the benefit of the doubt and assume he is taking the urine out of the interviewer.

Mind you, the alternative option wouldn't surprise me either.

Rollo
22nd September 2008, 00:19

One of them was an exhaust which worked itself loose, one of them was being smacked up the arse by a piece of idiotic driving and the other was caused by trying to drive in conditions akin to being in the bottom of a bathtub with all the water still in.

It's not a "terrible" season. It's not brilliant by recent Ferrari standards but compared to the other 19 competitors out there, at least half of them would be well chuffed if they had the season that Kimi has had.

Garry Walker
24th September 2008, 13:38
QUOTE=jens;528977]Again this "The Fastest" talk. Our former TV F1 commentator once (about 1,5 years ago I think) said that Kimi is the fastest driver of all times. :laugh: [/QUOTE]

I don`t think Kimis "natural pace" or whatever, is the fastest at all. Instead, his ability to manage his tyres over a stint (I remember Newey saying he was prost-like in that regard), be amazingly consistent and be at his maximum pace all the time through a race are what make him so incredibly fast over a race. But over a qualifying lap, those abilities don`t count for as much.

ArrowsFA1
26th September 2008, 08:21
Just had to chuckle at this piece (http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/70836) on Autosport.com where the author is talking about team/drivers sticking largely to European time while in Singapore. With reference to Kimi Edd Straw says:

Everyone seems to have their own approach to GPT, but one driver doesn't have to change his thinking one iota is world champion Kimi Raikkonen, whose philosophy makes a lot of sense.
"I'm not worried about that," declared Kimi, a Finn through and through. "I sleep when I feel like it, I wake up when I feel like it."
This probably explains why Kimi didn't share the rest of the paddock's interest in timekeeping. His policy of sleep when you want is certainly an inspiring one, although there were suggestions that extending this to dozy spells during races before waking up to set fastest laps is a step too far.

:laugh: