PDA

View Full Version : Will DC reach the end of the season?

SivoxII
8th September 2008, 00:59
Just heard about this today, so wonder if anyone has any more news on the situation. Is it a team decision, or has DC made a commitment elsewhere?

It was nice to see him battle with Rubens today though! :)

ShiftingGears
8th September 2008, 08:53
I don't see much point in keeping him - DC was battling with the Hondas while Webber was battling in the top 6.

SivoxII
8th September 2008, 09:30
In today's race yes! ... but previous outings have been a lot closer, especially in qualifying. The last few times, DC has actually been generally quicker, where Mark seemed to nail a quicker time on the death of Q2.

I like both guys, but feel for DC having never made World Champion, with his time almost up.

jens
8th September 2008, 17:09
Coulthard's season has crashing-wise been actually worse than that highly-criticized Sato's 2005 season (who had only two collisions with other drivers that year - Michael and Jarno), so I wouldn't mind him seeing to go before the end of the season. In some way it looks like DC doesn't care any more (career is soon over anyway and he doesn't need to prove himself to anyone) and hence he has turned into such dangerous driver on the circuit.

SivoxII
8th September 2008, 18:14
"hence he has turned into such dangerous driver on the circuit"

Sorry, but that's total crap!!! .... DC is one of the safest drivers out there. If you check the history books, most incidents have involved people crashing into him in the RB. The only exception being his tangle with one driver a while back (can't remember who?) ... and the other 50/50 was the incident with Massa a good few races ago.

jens
8th September 2008, 22:25
Well, the only incident this year, where I'd say Coulthard was basically free of responsibility, was the collision with Glock at Barcelona.

But DC has made at least two bonehead moves this year (on Vettel and Fisichella) plus there have been several collisions, where his mirror usage should have been better (Massa, Barrichello). Also there was a controversial accident with Button.

One of the safest drivers? I certainly don't have that feeling, when I'm watching a race. If someone is near DC, the excitement will rise. :) For example when at Valencia DC was behind that Force India I was almost sure he'll hit him if he already seemed to move out of the slipstream. And he of course did.

Storm
9th September 2008, 06:45
The end of the season can't come quick enough as with DC around most mid-field cars run the risk of crashing into him in an overtaking move.

He was never that good, yes he was a decent enough driver but even with a fantastic car at his disposal he never could deliver (the title)

Sivox what decision are you talking about? DC is retiring but staying on as a consultant with RBR.

SivoxII
10th September 2008, 06:58
.. the decision to leave the cockpit before the end of the season, wondered if it was his personal decision or the teams?

As far as DC's driving ability, I'd agree that he never reached world championship potential, he was the "nearly man" on a couple of seasons, namely his time at McLaren when he battled with Schumy.

Yes, he has been responsible for some incidents, where others have been 50/50 ... in my opinion, that's no different from most top end drivers over the years (including Damon Hill) ... but to call a driver of his experience and character "a dangerous driver" is simply ridiculous.

truefan72
12th September 2008, 02:57
danger is what danger does

if he gets into a lot of crashes and is prone to be involved in an incident , I'd call that dangerous. If you run the risk of your race being ended because you are tailing him and are about to pass him, or if he is tailing you and trying to pass you at ridiculous spots then I'd call that dangerous.
He may be a nice guy, willing to speak his mind, but in 2008 he's been by far the most dangerous driver to be around.

tintop
12th September 2008, 04:57
[quote="SivoxII"]

:) :) :) :) :) Press manager???

wmcot
12th September 2008, 08:37
Sorry, but that's total crap!!! .... DC is one of the safest drivers out there.

Two words - Spa 1998!

ioan
12th September 2008, 11:24
Two words - Spa 1998!

Nah, Melbourne 2007!

Or maybe Melbourne 2008?

The two words list is very long in DC's case!

PolePosition_1
12th September 2008, 12:11
In today's race yes! ... but previous outings have been a lot closer, especially in qualifying. The last few times, DC has actually been generally quicker, where Mark seemed to nail a quicker time on the death of Q2.

I like both guys, but feel for DC having never made World Champion, with his time almost up.

Well, he didn't win any championships despite having a race winning car majority of his career.

In all the years he had a race winning car, his team-mates got 33 wins to his 13. I think that tells a big story by itself.

What DC has is exceptional technical and communication skills. This with his ability to be consistant but not quite a challenge for the number 1 driver, he has been able to be a very successful driver.

Though I would say these days he is only in F1 for his development skills and his reputation as a strong driver (which is past really).

Though I like DC, and will be sad to see him leave F1, I've never seen him as F1 World Championship material.

wmcot
13th September 2008, 08:16
Nah, Melbourne 2007!

Or maybe Melbourne 2008?

The two words list is very long in DC's case!

I picked Spa 1998 because I don't think one driver has ever been more responsible for more monetary damage in the form of wrecked cars before the first corner! :)