PDA

View Full Version : Most underrated corners in F1 history

FIA
7th September 2008, 22:25
What corners or sections are the most underrated in Formula 1 or other motorsports.

My thoughts:-

Ascari - Buenos Aries (a 90" corner which starts and ends with a nasty bump)
Waite - Albert Park (a blind left/right double header)
Turn 3/4 - Montreal (a blind right/left with a nasty wall at the end of T4)
Estoril - Magny-Cours (a fast left, then a 180" right which is very fast)
Schumacher S - Nurburgring (a blind uphill fast left/right just wicked)

Any others

Miatanut
10th September 2008, 04:00
On an F1 sim I have, Grand Hotel Hairpin at Monaco is tough to take quickly without bringing the back end around, even though it's one of the slowest corners of the season.

wmcot
10th September 2008, 06:45
Ralf would probably say turn 2 at Indy!

cosmicpanda
10th September 2008, 11:10
Turn 2 at the Hungaroring is quite underrated, and for good reason.

wedge
10th September 2008, 11:51
For me the most under-rated corners are the right-left hairpins at Indy. I call it a technical challenge but most will disagree and call it Mickey Mouse.

The dog-leg just before the back straight in Bahrain. Very technical, almost identical to Mulsanne Corner where its about taking enough speed and getting your line right for the quick kink and then braking deep enough for the hairpin.

Apart from Monaco I think low speed corners are extremely under-rated. The quick stuff offer a different challenge. Trying to take a corner near flat is different to picking your braking points, deciding when to get back on the throttle, deciding how much throttle input so as not to spin the rear wheels.

Also the quick stuff relies more on aero, not just he bravery and the size of your ball whereas the slow stuff relies more on mechanical grip and therefore driver skill.

FIA
10th September 2008, 20:38
[quote="wedge"]For me the most under-rated corners are the right-left hairpins at Indy. I call it a technical challenge but most will disagree and call it Mickey Mouse.quote]

I have to agree, but I felt if I put it. I would get critisised (brave person!)

blito
10th September 2008, 21:45
Clearways at Brands Hatch. Yes i know it hasnt been used for F1 for 22 years but its one damned awsome corner, especially on racing sims such as Grand Prix Legends :D

Easy Drifter
10th September 2008, 22:08
The Chute into Moss corner (4 into 5a) at Mosport. Why 4 hasn't been officially named the Chute I do not know as all the drvers used to call it that.

Shifter
11th September 2008, 01:09
Estoril at Magny Cours is a monster of a corner!

How about the Piratella at Imola?

I found when playing F1: Championship Edition with a wheel and pedal set that turns 12 and 13 (sudkurve) at the Hockenheimring were the biggest challenges. What setup makes a car work well on the rest of the Hockenheim makes the stadium chicane then the double apexing 12 and 13 into one corner downright hairy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DNzq9AMlVg

fugariracing
11th September 2008, 04:55
nice thread. i have always had a challenge on sims with turns one and two at interlagos, the senna esses. just getting on the brakes in time after the long straight, a left-hander that goes downhill into the right-hander that falls away. there's always a lot of action into that corner, and many times it winds up in wrecks.

FIA
11th September 2008, 22:02
Actually you have a point about Mosport.

I love Mosport and Watkins Glen because of the clay or whatever it is that is used on the corners at these circuits, it gives the corners a camber feel to them.

I also love the close walls at Montreal and Albert Park, very underrated.

blito
11th September 2008, 22:53
The Chute into Moss corner (4 into 5a) at Mosport. Why 4 hasn't been officially named the Chute I do not know as all the drvers used to call it that.

Raced Mosport on Grand Prix Legends many times and that bit is pretty fantastic :)

markabilly
12th September 2008, 01:42
The entire corkscrew, all the way to the bottom of the hill, before the improvements.

While many rate it highly, believe me, until you go through it at speed, with the tummy in the throat..and then about half down, realize that you can really go much faster than everyone else and pass folks, only to realize the last turn is going from a turn with great camber and turning into a blind corner, with the camber becoming "off camber" and the radius is now decreasing, and all that speed that made you feel you really needed, just will not go away fast enough, and there is the dirt, the wall....and this is the bottom......the top is even more scary as you come up blind and then down you go......well afterwards, I have to say even with the rating that many give it, it is still underated (or was underated before it was improved...)