PDA

View Full Version : Official NHL/hockey thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

A.F.F.
6th December 2006, 17:51
Since we have so many good goalies in NHL at the moment, I think I'm entitled to start this new thread :)

Norrena was amazing. Second shutout in a row with 42 saves against Colorado. Nice :D

schmenke
6th December 2006, 18:16
Toskala of the Sharks is playing well. And Kiprusoff recorded his 4th shutout of the year with a 3-0 win against the 'Canes yesterday.
The NHL could use a few more of those Finnish net-minders :up: :D

Leafs lose 5-2 against Atlanta :D . They blew a 2-0 lead in the thrid :D
BTW, where's raikk... I wanna see his new sig :D

harvick#1
6th December 2006, 18:18
Go Aves, although they suck this year :(

schmenke
6th December 2006, 18:22
Go Aves, although they suck this year :(

Wanna swap goalies? :p : :D

harvick#1
6th December 2006, 18:23
yeah, now since Jose is injured I believe. thats really the only reason why Colorado keeps losing is because of the goalies, theyre horrible

schmenke
6th December 2006, 18:28
Well, Aebischer isn't exactly playing well either :s . Huet is far more impressive for the Habs IMO.

BTCC2
6th December 2006, 19:07
I'm a big fan of ice hockey, unfortunately it hasn't got the reputation it deserves in England. I'm a season ticket holder for Newcastle Vipers who are currently 10th in the Elite League. We have a big game coming up against Hull Stingrays on Sunday which is an important game to win if we are to move away from the bottom of the league. I'm pretty confident after a good display in the 5-3 win over Cardiff Devils, that we will win.

Always wanted to know, how is the British leauge thought of in USA, have you even herd of it???

cal
6th December 2006, 19:22
What about Holmqvist, he is doing pretty okay this season. Lundqvist will shine again, don't you think?

BTCC2: I'm not from USA, but I haven't heard of your league though I knew you had one. There was an English guy playing in our league a few years ago... around 2001-2002 I think. Can't remember his name, think it was David something, but he was playing for Djurgården if that rings any bells for you.

BTW, I guess your signature is supposed to be Swedish, but it doesn't make much sense! Haha!

cal
6th December 2006, 19:28
And yes, before someone asks: I realize my name looks much longer here than it did when I made it. I'm going to ask someone to change it. :)

BTCC2
6th December 2006, 19:43
There was an English guy playing in our league a few years ago... around 2001-2002 I think. Can't remember his name, think it was David something, but he was playing for Djurgården if that rings any bells for you.

BTW, I guess your signature is supposed to be Swedish, but it doesn't make much sense! Haha!

Not sure of the player

And my signiture is supposed to say "Nobody knows what this says" what does it say?

cal
6th December 2006, 19:56
Not sure of the player

And my signiture is supposed to say "Nobody knows what this says" what does it say?

I says "Nobody knowing what this saying".

"Nobody knows what this says" would translate to "Ingen vet vad som står här"

schmenke
6th December 2006, 19:59
I'm a big fan of ice hockey, unfortunately it hasn't got the reputation it deserves in England. I'm a season ticket holder for Newcastle Vipers who are currently 10th in the Elite League. We have a big game coming up against Hull Stingrays on Sunday which is an important game to win if we are to move away from the bottom of the league. I'm pretty confident after a good display in the 5-3 win over Cardiff Devils, that we will win.

Always wanted to know, how is the British leauge thought of in USA, have you even herd of it???

To be honest BTCC2, I did not realise that the U.K. had a professional league. How many teams in the league?

BTCC2
6th December 2006, 20:01
10. he says quietly as people look back and see that my beloved team are infact last. Although we nearly won last year and probably should have. We will get better, we have a lot of new players.

1 Belfast Giants 37
2 Coventry Blaze 30
3 Nottingham Panthers 23
4 Sheffield Steelers 22
5 Manchester Phoenix 22
6 Hull Stingrays 20
7 Basingstoke Bison 19
8 Cardiff Devils 16
9 Edinburgh Capitals 15
10 Newcastle Vipers 13

Is the table

cal
6th December 2006, 20:36
BTCC2, are there any Scandinavians in your league?

BTCC2
6th December 2006, 20:49
There is Johan Molin who is from Sweden
but there are loads of players from Ukraine and Slovakia. USA and Canada are also very heavily represented, infact there is very few British players.

A.F.F.
7th December 2006, 09:32
Ducks won again :up: Selänne has gone up like a rocket in personal stats over the couple last months.

veeten
7th December 2006, 14:50
Go Caps! :D

schmenke
7th December 2006, 15:50
Say it ain't so Joe!
Nieuwendyk hangs 'em up after 20 years. He was one of the best centremen around and a highly respected player :up:

Sirius
8th December 2006, 19:02
Since we have so many good goalies in NHL at the moment, I think I'm entitled to start this new thread :)

I'm looking forward to the days when Martin Brodeur of the New Jersey Devils breaks both Patrick Roy's wins record and Terry Sawchuk's shutout record.

He has been an amazing goalie and has shown unwavering loyalty to a team that was once dubbed NHL's "Mickey Mouse" franchise.

Sirius

harvick#1
8th December 2006, 19:21
this is what I don't get about Colorado, they get shut out to Columbus, then they beat San Jose 5-2. WTF can you guys not play one-offs and just play hard every game

Sirius
8th December 2006, 19:29
Ducks won again :up: Selänne has gone up like a rocket in personal stats over the couple last months.

If Anaheim continues on this pace, the record for fewest losses in a season held by the Montreal canadians may be in serious jeopardy.

Looks around to see if schmenke is lurking about the forums... :uhoh:

Sirius

harvick#1
8th December 2006, 19:31
be very afraid of Schmenke, the Habs best and only fan :p :

schmenke
8th December 2006, 19:36
:p :

Habs won again last night :D :up:

At this rate the team is on track for a 100pt season :D :up:

Sirius
8th December 2006, 20:38
:p :

Habs won again last night :D :up:

At this rate the team is on track for a 100pt season :D :up:

That is usually the benchmark for the better teams schmenke.

I'm glad to see Guy Carbonneau behind the Habs bench as coach this season because he was a player I admired for many years. As a player, he was of inestimable value to the Habs in many areas of the game. He was a tireless worker and fierce competitor on the ice and that will have earned him the respect of the current players from the beginning.

A great addition to the team.

Sirius

A.F.F.
8th December 2006, 20:47
be very afraid of Schmenke, the Habs best and only fan :p :

No no no, I'm Habs fan too :wave:

However, I support Ducks and Panthers as well so my opinion doesn't count I guess :erm:

raikk
8th December 2006, 23:42
Man the Leafs are just BLOWING! havent won in 6 games! nothing positive about this at all! Anyways we play Detroit.. we are known to make comebacks against Western teams! Time to step it up boys and make it to the playoffs to show the world what u got!

schmenke
8th December 2006, 23:54
Hehehe... Welcome back raikk. Love the new sig :D :p :

A.F.F.
9th December 2006, 12:44
If Anaheim continues on this pace, the record for fewest losses in a season held by the Montreal canadians may be in serious jeopardy.

Looks around to see if schmenke is lurking about the forums... :uhoh:

Sirius

It seem that they will :up:

I just hope they don't crash and burn when it's time for playoffs. You know, Ottawa Syndrome ;)

canada
10th December 2006, 07:07
Oh my! 7 games now for the Leafs... I think I might cancel my airline tickets to the Stanley Cup parade...

A.F.F.
10th December 2006, 10:45
Nice night for Dallas, very white and blue considering all the goals was made by Finns ;)

Sirius
10th December 2006, 18:15
I have just read a news story this morning saying that the daughter of Montreal Canadiens' GM Bob Gainey was swept off a sailing vessel during a storm off Cape Cod, Massachusettes few days ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/12/10/gainey-ship.html

It looks rather grim for his daughter at this point, however let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that by some miracle she is still alive.

Sirius

largs eagle
11th December 2006, 01:18
What about Holmqvist, he is doing pretty okay this season. Lundqvist will shine again, don't you think?

BTCC2: I'm not from USA, but I haven't heard of your league though I knew you had one. There was an English guy playing in our league a few years ago... around 2001-2002 I think. Can't remember his name, think it was David something, but he was playing for Djurgården if that rings any bells for you.

Is it David Longstaff who is currently with the Newcastle Vipers??

BTCC2
11th December 2006, 17:24
Yes it is. I just found that out yesterday, I didn't know he played in sweden because he played for a Swiss team before Newcastle.

BTCC2
11th December 2006, 17:26
Oh and by the way we beat Hull Stingrays 3-1 yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!

raikk
12th December 2006, 03:53
Oh my! 7 games now for the Leafs... I think I might cancel my airline tickets to the Stanley Cup parade...

No ****! There is still hope tho but the Leafs need to get their heads out of their asses and quick In 3 weeks I'm goin to 2 Leafs games! should be just brilliant!

jslone
12th December 2006, 05:29
How the hell can my boys loose a 4 goal lead?I know we have not been good in shootouts this year but there was no defense,right now the Caps suck.

harvick#1
12th December 2006, 05:49
come on Aves, get a damn goalie

its becoming a shame, they were better off with Abey

A.F.F.
12th December 2006, 08:29
Ducks doing pretty good :D

Panthers doing pretty bad :mark:

And Habs in the middle between :up:

I'm reasonable happy :)

canada
13th December 2006, 04:21
Woot woot! Leafs win! Leafs win! This is like our mini Stanley Cup for us!!!

Also, all the best to Boston Bruins rookie Phil Kessel who has been diagnosed, and operated for cancer. It has been a tough week for hockey with this and Bob Gainey's daughter.

raikk
13th December 2006, 08:02
Woot woot! Leafs win! Leafs win! This is like our mini Stanley Cup for us!!!

Also, all the best to Boston Bruins rookie Phil Kessel who has been diagnosed, and operated for cancer. It has been a tough week for hockey with this and Bob Gainey's daughter.

Yes indeed... Phil Kessel has testicular cancer and fortunetly it is one of the more cureable cancers... I hope everything goes alright with him and my
condolonces go with Bob Gainey..

On another note the Leafs have finally won! Thank god and good riddens is all I have to say! Heres to smooth sailing from now till playoffs!

schmenke
13th December 2006, 16:29
...condolonces go with Bob Gainey..

Ditto.

On a brighter note, his boys won against the Bruins. Samsonov finally scores, not one, but two :up:

tstran17_88
15th December 2006, 05:19
Preds shut out Ottawa 6-0 tonight! :D

tstran17_88
15th December 2006, 05:22
And Steve Sullivan had a natural hat trick! :D

A.F.F.
15th December 2006, 10:13
Seriously, Philly needs to start winning like NOW !!! :mad:

DocF225
15th December 2006, 15:07
Rangers won their fifth in a row last night. Lundqvist made 43 saves. He's allowed 7 goals in the 5 wins after allowing the same number in the previous two games.

veeten
17th December 2006, 03:38
Seriously, Philly needs to start winning like NOW !!! :mad:

well, it won't be against the Caps, as they lost 4-1. Nitty getting shelled... Zubris, Ovechkin & Co. "lightin' the lamp",... and Kolzig killing off any chances for Philly to score.

Sorry, A.F.F. ... looks like the Flyers get 'grounded' again. ;)

Oh, also... Go Caps! :D

canada
17th December 2006, 04:06
Well, the Leafs certainly took it to the Rangers tonight. What do you guys think of running up the score 9-2 with a really late 2 man advantage? As for Darcy Tucker, hopefully his hand injury won't keep him sidelined any length of time. I think him being out could hurt more than when Sundin was out. This guy is pure energy and goals right now.

raikk
18th December 2006, 05:48
Well, the Leafs certainly took it to the Rangers tonight. What do you guys think of running up the score 9-2 with a really late 2 man advantage? As for Darcy Tucker, hopefully his hand injury won't keep him sidelined any length of time. I think him being out could hurt more than when Sundin was out. This guy is pure energy and goals right now.

and what about Kyle Wellwood and Alexi Ponikarovsky! If that isn't domination I don't know what is! When I go to Toronto in a week I will deffinetly buy me self a Wellwood jersey :) ..

2 weeks till I go to ACC to watch Leafs play Ottawa and Boston!! should be great! :D

harvick#1
18th December 2006, 17:37
damn Theodore, ruined a three game winning streak, Colorado needs to get someone else, even their backup is better than Theodore

A.F.F.
18th December 2006, 17:46
Sorry, A.F.F. ... looks like the Flyers get 'grounded' again. ;)

Yep :(

Flyers and Panthers are seeing daydreams about playoffs.

God for bid Habs and Ducks are ruling :bounce: :up:

schmenke
18th December 2006, 18:05
...Habs ...are ruling :bounce: :up:

Ya! :D Koivu kicked @ss against the Penguins on Saturday :D
Montreal looked good on the power play :up:

schmenke
20th December 2006, 16:37
Well, Raycroft was not at all sharp last night :s 7 - 3 loss to the Panthers with Belfour in nets... ouch! I can't imagine what it feels like to be a Leafs fan right now... bunch of pylons they are :p :

The Avs benched Theodore and managed a one-goal win in Deadmonton.

Meanwhile, in Buffalo, the Habs blow by the Sabres 5 -2 :D Good to have Higgins back :D :up:

harvick#1
20th December 2006, 18:34
Brunette got the hat trick from 3 powerplay goals :D

thank god the aves benched Theodore, he ruined a winning streak from Budaj, hes won 4 games in a row now, but they can score 7 on Edmonton, but only 1 on Chicago :s

schmenke
22nd December 2006, 17:59
Another road win for the Habs! :bounce: This time in Philly :up:
Lots of depth to that Habs team. 2nd and 3d lines scoring :up:

Mark in Oshawa
23rd December 2006, 07:40
Man..I didn't know we had an NHL thread. Great to see it. First off BTCC, I did know about the British league and I would love you to put the table on here the odd time and a link to any webpages they may have. I know I would recognize a few names from that league, since the odd NHL player did go there (Theo Fleury for one) as their careers winded down. Marty McSorley also went there at one point.

As for what is going on in the NHL right now, I can honestly say the Leaf's are making me nuts, so less said about them the better.

For the Finn's that started this thread, you have much to be proud of, you have put some fantastic goalies out there and Finland is becoming known as a goalie factory the same way Quebec used to be when Patrick Roy lead the way as a number of French Canadian superstars hit the league.

Hey, since this is the NHL thread, ok..name your current and all time favourite players.

My current favourite player? Jarome Iginla and Dion Phanuef ( love both, Calgary is my other team to cheer for when the Leaf's go AWOL") and my favourite player of all time is Bobby Orr.

A.F.F.
23rd December 2006, 10:21
I have to admit I didn't see this "goalie-phenomenon" coming at all. I mean I knew all along we had a good goalie training but now we have like what, eight active NHL goalies and more to come. And not just an avarage goalies. I'm talking about goalies like Kiprusoff, Toskala, Niitymäki and Lehtonen. Also Bäckström and Norrena who are strongly taking over hte first spot in their team. :)

That leads me to another matter. The juniors are about to start their tournament in Stockholm next tuesday. Tuukka Rask will be Finnish number one goalie who I guss will be the next goalie promise to NHL :) Too bad Leafs sold his rights, right Raikk ;)

I can't name just one favourite player in NHL so I take the liberty to name three :D Teemu Selänne who is proved to be more than just a sniper. Saku Koivu, the captain of Habs, who is IMO the greatest hockey player ever been :up: And Olli Jokinen, also captain of his team.

My all time favourite player has to Peter Forsberg.

Tomi
23rd December 2006, 10:46
Yes its nice to see that the Habs are doing well after so many years, the Finnish goalies gets top coaching from very young age, that maybe explaine their success, all the teams here has a goalie coace, usually a former top goalie.
My current favorite player is Koivu the older one, alltime is more difficult, Bobby Orr, Börje Salming, Jari Kurri, its really difficult to choose, different times has its own stars.

veeten
24th December 2006, 05:00
Good game by Sundin, but...

Leafs lose to the Caps, 3-2.

Merry Christmas, raikk... :p :

oh, and... Go Caps! :D

harvick#1
24th December 2006, 18:18
my favorites are Joe Sakic :D , Milan Hedjuk, Pavel Bure (what a demon with speed), Wayne Gretzky.

also Aves beat the Blackhawks finally :bounce: its a cause for celebration. Theodore got a surprising win :mark:

tstran17_88
27th December 2006, 05:11
I used to like the Blackhawks when I was a kid...Tony Esposito and Stan Mikita were my fav's.

Now my fav's are Jordin Tootoo, Ryan Suter & Paul Kariya. Also, I like Brian Rolston & Pavol Demitra from the Wild too.

A.F.F.
29th December 2006, 22:51
All Hail to Philly :bounce: They've finally won :eek:

harvick#1
30th December 2006, 02:44
:beer:

Mark in Oshawa
30th December 2006, 03:33
I have to admit I didn't see this "goalie-phenomenon" coming at all. I mean I knew all along we had a good goalie training but now we have like what, eight active NHL goalies and more to come. And not just an avarage goalies. I'm talking about goalies like Kiprusoff, Toskala, Niitymäki and Lehtonen. Also Bäckström and Norrena who are strongly taking over hte first spot in their team. :)

That leads me to another matter. The juniors are about to start their tournament in Stockholm next tuesday. Tuukka Rask will be Finnish number one goalie who I guss will be the next goalie promise to NHL :) Too bad Leafs sold his rights, right Raikk ;)

I can't name just one favourite player in NHL so I take the liberty to name three :D Teemu Selänne who is proved to be more than just a sniper. Saku Koivu, the captain of Habs, who is IMO the greatest hockey player ever been :up: And Olli Jokinen, also captain of his team.

My all time favourite player has to Peter Forsberg.

AFF, my friend you are a good man and you love hockey, but Saku isn't the GREATEST ever Finnish player much less all time everywhere. Greatest Finn ever on skates is Jari Kurri IMO.

As for the Leafs losing Rask, no it wasn't that big a loss, since they have Raycroft now for Rask, which helps them in the now, and they still have Justin Pogge, who was the best goalie by far in last years Junior World Championship.

Rask didn't look too good when Belarus beat you guys either. Iam just glad to see someone in Europe actually pays attention to the world junior championship. It is a Christmas ritual here on TV and we love it but by the empty seats in European venues for this event, I am always shocked....

A.F.F.
30th December 2006, 06:42
AFF, my friend you are a good man and you love hockey, but Saku isn't the GREATEST ever Finnish player much less all time everywhere. Greatest Finn ever on skates is Jari Kurri IMO.

As for the Leafs losing Rask, no it wasn't that big a loss, since they have Raycroft now for Rask, which helps them in the now, and they still have Justin Pogge, who was the best goalie by far in last years Junior World Championship.

Rask didn't look too good when Belarus beat you guys either. Iam just glad to see someone in Europe actually pays attention to the world junior championship. It is a Christmas ritual here on TV and we love it but by the empty seats in European venues for this event, I am always shocked....

By all means Mark :)

Jari Kurri has made a huge influence in Finnish hockey and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was Saku's biggest idol. But like you said, IMO, I still think Saku is the greatest. Not necessarily skillwise but the whole package, the attitude, fairplay, leadership which probably the biggest reason.

Btw. did you know that when the strike occured and many players played in Europe, Saku returned to his home team TPS, in the first games not only the audience honored him but also opposite team players AND the coach :eek: That was worth to see.

About junior hockey. That is a shame, really, if people don't pay attention to it. It's where the next Jagrs, Crosbys, Haseks etc come from :mark: Basicly it might be the first international break for youngsters.

harvick#1
31st December 2006, 05:41
Phoenix opened up a can of whoop-ass on San Jose 8-0. :eek:

Roenick even got a hat-trick :beer:

Mark in Oshawa
31st December 2006, 08:21
AFF, Junior hockey to Canadians is like football (American style) is to the people in Texas. It is a religion, and when the world Junior tourney starts every year, TSN up here gets massive ratings for every game Canada plays, and very good ratings for all the other games that get aired. Household names have been made by some of the players in this tourney who then never have made the NHL but Iam sure have had a lot of beer bought for them for their heroics in the World Juniors.

Saku is a great leader, I wont dispute that. I was just impressed by his coming back from Cancer and having a career again, and his comeback from his eye injury. That said, Saku plays for the Canadiens, and for me to cheer for the Canadiens just wont happen. Us Leaf fans have to have some standards!!!!

A.F.F.
31st December 2006, 09:53
That said, Saku plays for the Canadiens, and for me to cheer for the Canadiens just wont happen. Us Leaf fans have to have some standards!!!!

Well, maybe you can secretly cheer for Saku and the Habs after the playoffs start since Leafs won't probably make it ;) :p :

BTCC2
2nd January 2007, 16:36
First off BTCC, I did know about the British league and I would love you to put the table on here the odd time and a link to any webpages they may have. I know I would recognize a few names from that league, since the odd NHL player did go there (Theo Fleury for one) as their careers winded down. Marty McSorley also went there at one point.

OK then current Elite League Standings

Belfast Giants 45
Coventry Blaze 37
Nottingham Panthers 32
Cardiff Devils 30
Basingstoke Bison 29
Manchester Phoenix 28
Sheffield Steelers 28
Hull Stingrays 27
Newcastle Vipers 23
Edinburgh Capitals 23

Newcastle are finally off bottom and the only way is up for us now.

http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/ is the leagues website.

BTCC2
2nd January 2007, 16:47
What sort of crowds do you get in NHL, obviously you will get more than we do over here as the Vipers average about 900. But do you fill your arenas.

As you can see from these pictures we barely get enough people to fill the front couple of rows. http://www.newcastlevipers.com/gallery/v1/viewer.php?id=2688

And here are some match highlights of a game vs Hull Stingrays. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVgIj47wZrs

veeten
5th January 2007, 02:50
end of the 2nd period,... Washington 4, Montreal 1.

Knocker69
5th January 2007, 03:17
What sort of crowds do you get in NHL, obviously you will get more than we do over here as the Vipers average about 900. But do you fill your arenas.

Well, in the hockey mecca :D of Tampa, FL, this season we rank 3rd in the NHL with an average attendance of 19,828.

NHL attendance stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007)

veeten
5th January 2007, 03:39
the final, Washington-5, Montreal-1.

you know what they say about paybacks, eh schmenke?... ;) :D

(one week ago, Montreal-4, Washington-1)

schmenke
5th January 2007, 16:07
Didn't see the game but I watched some of the highlights. Huet didn't look too sharp whereas Kolzig made some awesome stops. Pretty lame penalty call on Koivu though :hmph: . Changed the course of the game :p :

Leafs score 10 goals against the Bruins! :s hock: Who woulda thunk that that team is capable of scoring that many :p :

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2007, 18:18
Didn't see the game but I watched some of the highlights. Huet didn't look too sharp whereas Kolzig made some awesome stops. Pretty lame penalty call on Koivu though :hmph: . Changed the course of the game :p :

Leafs score 10 goals against the Bruins! :s hock: Who woulda thunk that that team is capable of scoring that many :p :

The Leafs lit up the Rangers 3 weeks ago for 9, and they scored in bunches against Ottawa earlier this year as well. They have their nights where they score, and then they get killed other nights. IN short, the Leaf's are a .500 team and are playing like one. Great one night, sucking the next.

BTCC, for your interest, NHL teams in Canada pretty much always sell out with crowds of 18000 to 20000 and in most cities, tickets are hard to get. Most American markets you can get into a game relatively easy, although in places like Detroit or Philadelphia, you might have a hard time.

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2007, 18:22
2 -1 USA over Sweden in the Bronze game at the World Junior Tournament as I type this. Only an hour or so away before Canada plays Russia for the Gold. I guess I wont get nothing constructive done this afternoon!!!

schmenke
5th January 2007, 18:43
... I guess I wont get nothing constructive done this afternoon!!!

Ditto :D

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2007, 19:14
Schmenke, the best part of Christmas and New Year's is the world juniors, is it not??

GO CANADA GO!!!

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2007, 19:16
Just a note to all you Non-Canadians reading this. Canada is an anal retentive country when it comes to Hockey. IF we lose this thing, we will all be catatonic for days, whining about how our hockey programs are not producing star's and quality teams. We will need to lie down on the couch and bare our souls. Yet in almost every other sport this country plays, if we win we like it, if we lose, oh well but that is sport. It is only hockey that makes us this crazy!! Bear with us...it too shall pass....

schmenke
5th January 2007, 19:44
... IF we lose this thing, we will all be catatonic for days, whining about how our hockey programs are not producing star's and quality teams. ....

Followed by a full government inquiry! :D

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2007, 20:47
Schmenke, it don't look like that will happen, Canada is up 4 - 0 in the second!!!!

Gotta love another good pasting of the Russians. They had Ovechikin two years ago, we knocked him out of the game. Last year, they had Malkin crying. This year, well the Russians have a good all around team, but the result is looking simliar. They just cant take 60 minutes of aggressive forechecking and ill temper from our boys.

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2007, 21:48
Now 4-2 in the Third and a parade going to the penalty box. Iam sweating this out to the end....

schmenke
5th January 2007, 21:53
4 - 2 after two! :s hock:

schmenke
5th January 2007, 22:26
Cancel the inquiry! Canada is GOLD!!!! :D :bounce:

A.F.F.
5th January 2007, 22:47
Congrats Team Canada :up:

Your future in hockey seem as bright as the golden medal :)

veeten
5th January 2007, 22:58
Just a note to all you Non-Canadians reading this. Canada is an anal retentive country when it comes to Hockey. IF we lose this thing, we will all be catatonic for days, whining about how our hockey programs are not producing star's and quality teams. We will need to lie down on the couch and bare our souls. Yet in almost every other sport this country plays, if we win we like it, if we lose, oh well but that is sport. It is only hockey that makes us this crazy!! Bear with us...it too shall pass....

... '06 Winter Olympics were a grand example of this. :p ;)

veeten
5th January 2007, 22:59
happy Canadians. :D :D :D

:)

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2007, 23:28
Canada wins 4-2 in a penalty filled game filled with some suspect calls, but the Russians never gave up and good on them. They looked more like a team then the superstar lead sucks that folded under pressure the last two times they faced the Canadians....

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2007, 23:31
... '06 Winter Olympics were a grand example of this. :p ;)

I saw that mess coming a long way off. If you win in 2002, you cannot take the same guys back and expect to win again. 2010 will be the acid test though. How they are picked and who goes will be years of coffee shop discussions, but as long as we have Sid the kid, Luongo and a few other young Canadian stars, we should be ok on home ice.

2006 sucked, but the glow from 2002 was so warm, I kind of took it in a better light...

raikk
10th January 2007, 04:26

Hello I'm back from Toronto! I went to 2 Leafs games (one against Ottawa the other against Boston (5-1 Victory) But the Leafs have been very up and down and are deffinetly playing like a 500 team now.. If the Leafs want to get to the playoffs they better get off their asses and play their heart out!

although it really hurts haveing Wellwood Tucker,Ponikarovsky and Peca out of the line up.....

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2007, 05:56
Raikk, that is the joy of a .500 team. They look good for 2 periods and get pummelled in the last 3 minutes of the third. Raycroft is part of the problem, he is an ok journeyman it appears, and Leaf's fans are more used to having Belfour and Joseph just stoning teams cold. I think in many ways this Leaf's team is no worse than the previous ones, but the superstar in net isn't there. Raycroft tries hard, is a good kid, but he cant do it full time as the star on the horizon. He needs to find a way to find that winning way he had in his Calder year.

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2007, 05:57
Hey AFF, I see tonight that Koivu got his 500th point tonight. He was given a Standing Ovation by the Bell Centre faithful and I cant think of a nicer guy and more worthy man to honour in many ways. He is alright, for a Hab. Problem is, the Hab's won!!! Geeze I just find the Montreal Canadiens annoying, forgive me!!! Maybe if the Leafs would quit flirting with .500 and take a good winning streak I would just chill out....

Valve Bounce
10th January 2007, 06:04

Norrena was amazing. Second shutout in a row with 42 saves against Colorado. Nice :D

Well, that sure as hell beats one shut out in a row. :p :

raikk
10th January 2007, 07:14
Raikk, that is the joy of a .500 team. They look good for 2 periods and get pummelled in the last 3 minutes of the third. Raycroft is part of the problem, he is an ok journeyman it appears, and Leaf's fans are more used to having Belfour and Joseph just stoning teams cold. I think in many ways this Leaf's team is no worse than the previous ones, but the superstar in net isn't there. Raycroft tries hard, is a good kid, but he cant do it full time as the star on the horizon. He needs to find a way to find that winning way he had in his Calder year.

Very valid points but last year Belfour was not there for us.. I think Raycroft is doing a better job this year then Belfour did last year. The only brilliant goaltending we had last year was Aubin in the last 11 game stretch. Raycroft is a good goalie but he does not make game winning saves, he makes great ones at certain times but then theres the one that flutters harmlessly by him. The Leafs were gambleing when they went after Raycroft and although he has not been bad he has not been spectacular either. Aubin is also having some trouble but maybe thats because he's the back up and not the starter.

A.F.F.
10th January 2007, 08:14
Hey AFF, I see tonight that Koivu got his 500th point tonight. He was given a Standing Ovation by the Bell Centre faithful and I cant think of a nicer guy and more worthy man to honour in many ways. He is alright, for a Hab. Problem is, the Hab's won!!! Geeze I just find the Montreal Canadiens annoying, forgive me!!! Maybe if the Leafs would quit flirting with .500 and take a good winning streak I would just chill out....

I fail to see any problem, the Habs won :D

Anyways, cheers Mark :up: I was glad to notice the same thing. Another benchmark for Koivu and nice that fans honoured him but Saku is a team player first and I'm sure their won warmed him more than his individual achievement. :)

A.F.F.
10th January 2007, 08:15
Well, that sure as hell beats one shut out in a row. :p :

C'mon Valve, I was being optimistic that time :D

schmenke
10th January 2007, 16:10
... Problem is, the Hab's won!!! ....

After losing three straight... :mark:

veeten
10th January 2007, 21:07
Caps had the brooms out last night, with a 6-2 win and a 4-0 sweep for the season against the Flyers. :)

2 goals by "Alexander the Great", just after he was announced to be on the starting team in the All-Star game in Dallas. :) :up:

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2007, 21:19
Veeten, your Caps are coming along nicely. I wish like heck Kolzig was a younger man, he might have a shot at Stanley if he can hang on with that young team in front of him maturing. Alex has proven to have the royal jelly. He has come a long way from the Ovechekin that Canada pounded into the boards at the World Junior Tourney Gold medal game in North Dakota. He was a bit of a punk then, and the Canadians took great offense to his hot dogging against the US in the Semi-finals. He learned a great lesson that time, and now is turning into one of the best players in the league and a good leader. He seems like a good kid really. You guys deserve to see someone that good after the dreary years you have had to endure...

veeten
10th January 2007, 21:34
true, and the last Capital that was on the starting team in the All-Star game was Langway. That says a lot there, with the players they've had in the past. :\

The best part is that both him and Crosby will be on the front line. Should be good to see who they choose to defend more heavily. ;) :D

Olie has been making some fantastic stops this year, and the team taking better advantage of power plays this season has helped loads. :)

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2007, 22:34
It is the all star game, so I suspect no one will stop the Alex and Sid show!!!!

I just wish the owners of Washington or Pittsburgh would lose their minds and trade one of them to my beloved Leafs. Of course, the Leafs wouldn't succeed probably anyhow, they find ways to screw up even the best deals!!!!!!

raikk
11th January 2007, 08:05
true, and the last Capital that was on the starting team in the All-Star game was Langway. That says a lot there, with the players they've had in the past. :\

The best part is that both him and Crosby will be on the front line. Should be good to see who they choose to defend more heavily. ;) :D

Olie has been making some fantastic stops this year, and the team taking better advantage of power plays this season has helped loads. :)

Even more interesting is that ovetchkin will be on the same line as Daniel Briere! (just a back ground for ppl who don't know already)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lnw3bou2NA&mode=related&search=
and then Briere stabbed Ovechkin with the end of his stick when he scored a goal..

Mark in Oshawa
11th January 2007, 20:47
Raikk, don't show that to Don Cherry, he thinks only Euro players are stick happy goons!!!

Off coruse, Briere wears a visor...that is it...

harvick#1
11th January 2007, 20:58
It is the all star game, so I suspect no one will stop the Alex and Sid show!!!!

Joe Sakic's wristers will stop them :D

Mark in Oshawa
11th January 2007, 21:20
No Joe wont stop them, he is going to keep up. There is no defense in an all star game. The goalies should be handed a blindfold and a cigarette....

canada
12th January 2007, 03:48
Well raikk, the Leafs beat the Sabres for ya on your birthday. Is there a better reason for you to now get drunk (illegally)?

Mark in Oshawa
12th January 2007, 05:29
Funny, when the Leaf's were a really top team in the East, and Buffalo sucked, going down the QEW was like going to death valley, they could never win. Now that the Leaf's more or less suck, and the Sabres are the class of the East, Toronto wins in Buffalo. I think being a Leaf fan is the first step in becoming a Bi-Polar patient in a mental ward!!!

A.F.F.
12th January 2007, 11:26
:up: Teemu Selänne was on fire last night, three goals.

Gotta agree with Mark, AllStar game put defence in the bad light since there ain't any. Not to mention goalies. But it's a good show. :up:

Mark in Oshawa
12th January 2007, 16:24
Oh the goalies are there AFF, just they don't get any love....

Teemu...nice fellah, I had him in my hockey pool for 2 years and he did nothing....I traded him to another guy for the spot in the draft he had ( and he finished last allowing me to pick Sidney Crosby) and NOW he takes off and plays well.

I like Selanne, always did. Great guy, great personality, plays the game the right way....good on him for having success now.

schmenke
12th January 2007, 17:42
Well harvick, the Avs were pummeled by the Cowtown boys last night. Pretty poor defence when all 7 Calgary goals were scored even-strength :s
I can't remember the last time that Calgary scored so many goals... :mark:

Oh, and the Habs won in Philly :D

raikk
12th January 2007, 23:23
Well raikk, the Leafs beat the Sabres for ya on your birthday. Is there a better reason for you to now get drunk (illegally)?

haha ya its a nice present but unfortunetly I had work and even then I can't ''legally'' drink but that wont stop me :p : Wellwood might not even play next saturday against the Pens! jesus this is a prolooonged injury! Also Leafs play the crows on Saturday! Get ready to walk downtown Vancouver with your Leafs jersey! :D :D I have 15 smackers on the game too :D

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2007, 09:13
Raikk, Vancouver needs to lose sooner or later...just don't know which Toronto will show up...

And Schmenke, they got those 7 goals WITHOUT Iginla. I still think if they limp into the playoffs they will be a miserable team to have to deal with....

A.F.F.
13th January 2007, 09:40
Damn right they will. When the going gets tough, Kipru gets going. :D

harvick#1
13th January 2007, 17:28
Well harvick, the Avs were pummeled by the Cowtown boys last night. Pretty poor defence when all 7 Calgary goals were scored even-strength :s
I can't remember the last time that Calgary scored so many goals... :mark:

Oh, and the Habs won in Philly :D

the aves don't have a good goalie, Budaj is ok, but Theodore is horrible, I thikn they should've kept Abie, or they need to trade Theo for someone good

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2007, 20:08
Now Harvick, you are a good lad, but I cant stand the Av's outside of Sakic...

I have never been a fan of teams which have singular last names, such as Avalanche, Wild, Heat, etc. IT is just too 90's!!!!

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2007, 23:58
Gotta like Today in Canada, the CBC is doing their "Hockey Day in Canada" special. Hockey from Noon to after midnight. No other network covers a sport for one day with the respect and love that the CBC does today.

Not that I need to see all the "special" stories they inflict on us, but with the 3 NHL all Canadian matchups...I gotta say I am in hockey heaven!!!

raikk
14th January 2007, 05:14
me and schmenke both need pretty strong drinks to forget our teams horrid games!

Mark in Oshawa
14th January 2007, 06:56
Raikk, I agree. My only consolation is that after 30 years of being a Leaf's fan, I always have another team that is my choice to enjoy and cheer for. For the first years as a fan, I was a Bruin's fan, and up till Ballard died, I couldn't watch a Leaf's/Bruin's fan with anyone I knew because I would be cheering for Boston (Bobby Orr #1 and all that ) but as the Leaf's were reborn into the 20th century with Ballard gone, I became a full blown Leaf's fan.

Except In the last few years, I have really took a shine to the Flames. Always had a soft spot for them in the 90's too when they won their Cup. That Lanny McDonald thing kind of was the reason I guess, and as they have come on the last few years, they are my other team. Tonight, without Iginla they still beat Edmonchuk so hey, silver lining in the cloud time.....

I am not 100% loyal I guess, but after 40 years, there will not be a Stanley Cup parade on Yonge this year either.....so I have to find some way of staying interested....

Of course, someone wiseacre would demand I cheer for the Habs, but c'mon, I am not completely without scruples!!!

A.F.F.
14th January 2007, 11:05
I'm not sure but i think The habs fans has some sort of standards who to ask to support the team.

The reason I said I'm not sure is that I don't consider myself being a HC fan since I support many other hockey teams as well. However, I can understand "the patriotism" for cheering a certain team/s when it comes to hockey. I mean, I wouldn't see myself cheering for Jokerit here in Helsinki since I've always been a fan of HIFK.

Which brings to my mind a funny thing that happened 12 years ago. I was studying in Scotland back then and I lived in a dorm which was full of local teenagers. That, and their passion for soccer, prevented me relating them any more than I had to. One night the whole dorm seemd empty. I saw one Danish guy in the hallway and asked where is everybody. He said they're all in TV-room. I checked the closest TV-room and there they were, watching a football game (soccer that is ) Celtic vs. Galsgow rangers. When the match ended there was a huge fight in the hallway, close to a small riot. The result had been a tie. :dozey:

God for bid hockey fans rarely beat each others for sake the game.

Mark in Oshawa
14th January 2007, 18:48
Hockey fans always have a good natured ribbing that goes with it. One of my best friends is a Hab's fan. It just is the way it is. Canadians know where to draw the line......goes with our politeness I guess...

Sirius
16th January 2007, 04:52
Also Leafs play the crows on Saturday! Get ready to walk downtown Vancouver with your Leafs jersey! :D :D I have 15 smackers on the game too :D

It was a game to forget for you and the rest of the Leafs fans raikk, however I have to say that my interest in the league these days is rather lacking. I haven't watched too many games since the lockout ended, but when I do, I watch games that are filled with one penalty after the other, and the game between the Canucks and Leaf this past weekend was one big parade to the penalty box. I suppose I shouldn't really complain about it because we did win the game in the end, however I'm trying my best to warm up to this new brand of hockey these days but it is very difficult.

Anyways back to the game. Luongo did keep us in the game during the early stages, however as a Leafs supporter you sure aren't going to win many games when you give up 5 power play goals. It must be frustrating for you Leaf fans these days because you come off a great game against Buffalo and then get blown away by the Canucks. Ahh...the joys and sorrows of sport.

Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
The Sabres are the class of the East

They have been playing very well all year and I like the fact they have brought up their players through the draft and have acquired few players through free agency. They should be a good team for many years, that is unless the league decides to change the rules again. :(

Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
They got those 7 goals WITHOUT Iginla. I still think that if they limp into the playoffs they will be a miserable team to deal with...

I think Calgary is one of those teams that can overcome the loss of a player such as Iginla. I say this because they are an extremely hard working team that plays as a unit. We know that Darryl Sutter has instilled a solid work ethic in all his players and it clealry shows night after night. They are always very tough to play against come the playoffs.

Sirius

Mark in Oshawa
16th January 2007, 05:00
It was a game to forget for you and the rest of the Leafs fans here on the forum raikk, however I have to say that my interest in the league these days is rather lacking. I haven't watched too many games since the lockout ended, but when I do, I watch games that are filled with one penalty after the other, and the game between the Canucks and Leaf this past weekend was one big parade to the penalty box. I suppose I shouldn't really complain about it because we did win the game in the end, however I'm trying my best to warm up to this new brand of hockey these days but it is very difficult.

Sirius

I think the parade to the penalty box will subside in the next few years. As time goes on, guys will quit doing the mickey mouse stuff that gets you a penalty for dragging a stick on a body and getting nailed for hooking, or pulling your arm on a guy and getting called for holding. You have years and years of guys water-skiing, bulldogging, boarding, interfering, tripping, elbowing and general mayhem that used to be allowed within reason. IT made watching hockey a wrestling match without Vince McMahon.

So it is the other way now, I can understand your frustration, but last time I looked, guys with talent were not being penalized by the Wade Belak's and Bryan Marchments of hockey. People who have talent now can get to the net. As for the defense in front of the net clearing guys, you will notice they are doing and getting to do some of that, within reason. Just the cross checking and sticking a blade in the guys ribs are now automatic calls.

I prefer THIS hockey to the wrestling match stuff we had before the lockout, and as an avid fan of Junior A, I have noticed that it really makes a huge difference to the guys in the CHL. OF course, I am biased, I get to see John Tavares here in Oshawa, and he is just flying...as a 16 year old.

Sirius
16th January 2007, 05:26
I hope these parades end soon otherwise they will be many disgruntled fans who will turn their backs on the game for good. I'm all for improving the product on the ice, but some of these games are unbearable. I know what you are probably saying and that is don't watch hockey if you don't enjoy it. It is difficult to turn your back on a game that you've watched for many, many years now. I, like you are a true hockey fan and letting go of this game would be tough thing to do altogether. I do still have hope though!

It comes as no surrpise to me that old habits are hard to break for these players and it seems as though no one is immune. One of Bettman's protestations was that the players will soon learn not to hook, hold and interfere with other players, however judging by the number of power plays, I would say that the message isn't getting through as of yet. If I were an advertiser, I know where I'd be buying my advertising space...right in the penalty box!

I am glad that they are letting the players battle in front of the net because for the life of me I can't imagine players just floating around the goal crease completely unimpeded all night long.

I used to love watching Scott Stevens play because he played with such fierce intensity and that intensity is missng from the game in my eyes.

Sirius

A.F.F.
19th January 2007, 00:51
Is it finally safe to say that we won't be seeing Philly in play-offs? :dozey:

Mark in Oshawa
19th January 2007, 06:20
A.F.F., they wont partially because Bobby Clarke the GM of the Flyers was such a big fan of the old style of hockey. He built a team to play clutch and grab in a NHL where speed is king and holding, clutching and mugging your opponent is not allowed...and it shows this year as they just suck.

Sirius, I understand you hate all the power plays and the constant parade to the box, but Bettman is right sooner or later they will get it, or they will be out of the league. Part of the reason guys hold and hook is because they cant stop the other players in any other way. Scott Steven's, your favourite example would do just fine because he had the talent and skills to play in today's NHL. Hitting isn't down, Dion Phanuef is still laying out people not paying attention legally. Speed is up, creative play making is up, just the mugging of the talented players is down. Any time you give the less talented players room outside the rules to take way the creativity of the talented, you are making it a game of rugby.

Watch hockey films from 20 or 30 years ago. Hooking and holding were a lot less, but as the league got watered down, the ref's were told to over look a lot of it. Not now, they call everything for the reason that if you dont', every hook and every hold becomes a judgement call a ref cannot reliably make. It is easier and more fair to say if you grab a guy, that is holding, and if you hook a guy, that is hooking. If you do not take these measures, the boys will be water skiing again. My brother-in-law has been a ref for 23 years in minor hockey. He is licensed to ref games as high as the CHL. He would have made a go at an NHL career if other issues didn't intercede. The other brother did referee in the OHL when Gretzky was with the Soo Greyhounds. Both of them have told me that what is happening now is the first time the rule book has been enforced and backed up by head office.

I love hockey and did a lot less before they changed things. It used to drive me crazy when Mats Sundin or Mario Lemieux would have some schlep hacking, slashing and generally mugging them as they tried to make a play. Heck, they would get that when they didn't have the puck. THAT is interference according to the rules. Really all the ref's are doing is calling the rules in the book as they were written. It is THAT simple.

For the first time, referee's are not being asked to define grey areas. By putting the onus on the players to not hook, hold or put their stick on another player, they put it on the players to play the game according to the rules. There is no gray area for coaches to complain about. You want better hockey, wait for players who have grown up not playing interference hockey to come along. Notice smaller players are now getting a fair chance to get a career. No longer are big stooges with long arms and slow feet going in the first round. No, the hockey is improving all the time....

raikk
19th January 2007, 08:17
Leafs start winning streak! up to 2 now :)

tstran17_88
21st January 2007, 04:39
A.F.F., they wont partially because Bobby Clarke the GM of the Flyers was such a big fan of the old style of hockey. He built a team to play clutch and grab in a NHL where speed is king and holding, clutching and mugging your opponent is not allowed...and it shows this year as they just suck.

Or possibly the Flyers are just a bunch of goons with Forsberg leading the troops?

tstran17_88
21st January 2007, 04:41
Leafs start winning streak! up to 2 now :)
And then it ends against the Penguins! :p :

raikk
21st January 2007, 04:54
anyone want to start a petition with me to make the Leafs tank for the next 4 years? :)

schmenke
21st January 2007, 06:32
And then it ends against the Penguins! :p :

Big time!

Meanwhile the Habs climb the standings with a win against the Sabres :D

tstran17_88
21st January 2007, 06:50
Big time!

Meanwhile the Habs climb the standings with a win against the Sabres :D Go Leafs! :laugh:

tstran17_88
21st January 2007, 06:52
BTW guys...who's the best team (record wise) in the NHL right now? :D

raikk
22nd January 2007, 02:43
lol tstran.. preds probally the most underated team in the league...
Leafs need to get a consistant goalie above anything else at the trade deadline! way to go JFJ you traded our future allstar goalie for the next cloutier... wonderful..

Mark in Oshawa
22nd January 2007, 07:58
anyone want to start a petition with me to make the Leafs tank for the next 4 years? :)

They don't get Pogge in net in the next 2 years, and they will be in the tank!!!

Actually to be fair, Raycroft stole two games in Florida, and had no help Saturday against the flightless waterfowl. Raycroft is an ok goalie, no more, and there is no guarntee Tukka Rask was/is gonna be a super star. Junior phenoms can flame out too easily.

I think JFJ has done a poor job of managing his money. If he didn't over pay for McCabe (no good in his own end, one dimensional) and Kubina ( not worth Kaberle money)he would have the money to acquire some salary before the trade deadline. Now he has no money, and he might have to trade Sundin (not a good idea but if you are rebuilding, it might be good to let him win a cup somewheres) to get some money freed up. Then again, when management wouldn't give him more than a one year contract, it said he had to win now, and that ALWAYS leads to bad decisions when you have a so-so lineup. The only REALLY smart thing he has done is hire Paul Maurice. The guy could get a gallon of juice out of a lemon.....

Mark in Oshawa
22nd January 2007, 08:03
Oh one more thing. Apparently the long feud between the Leaf's and ex-star Dave Keon appears to be over. Apparently when they honour the 67 Leafs team later in Febuary, he said he will show up. I can just imagine the ovation he will get, because he is a mythical figure to those 60's fans....Alas, I was too young to remember that last Stanley Cup win, I was only 2!

raikk
23rd January 2007, 02:53
Oh one more thing. Apparently the long feud between the Leaf's and ex-star Dave Keon appears to be over. Apparently when they honour the 67 Leafs team later in Febuary, he said he will show up. I can just imagine the ovation he will get, because he is a mythical figure to those 60's fans....Alas, I was too young to remember that last Stanley Cup win, I was only 2!

ahh yes.. It's a good thing to.. he was arguably the best player the Leafs ever had..

On a related note it is reported that Wellwood is goiung to have surgery and will be out indeffinetly 6-8 weeks.... DOH! I think Kyle Wellwood has many of the qualities that Keon has which is why he is one of my fave players int he NHL today...

Sirius
23rd January 2007, 04:47
Sirius, I understand you hate all the power plays and the constant parade to the box, but Bettman is right sooner or later they will get it, or they will be out of the league. Part of the reason guys hold and hook is because they cant stop the other players in any other way.

I wouldn't say that I hate the power plays Mark. It's just that some of these penalties are absolutely ridiculous! The delay of game penalties for one example, are a joke. YES, some delay of game penalties are justified, however there are far too many that border on the side of stupidity. Now, in the case of the holding calls, I do agree that if a player takes one hand off his stick and uses it to hold another, he should be penalised and that is fine, however some of these hooking calls are laughable. I guess you could say that the skilled players have all the ice they need now, however I miss the days when a player had fight through traffic. Yeah...the skilled player is great when there is no one bothering him, but let see just how good he is when his life is made a little miserable by a forceful yet effective checker. I saw nothing wrong with a player taking his stick and whacking another player on the side of his pants. All within reason of course! Now if he really hooks, and I mean really hooks another player, then he gets a penalty. All the league needed to do was to call the game properly, then we wouldn't be in this awful transitional stage we are in today. Today's game is all about who has the best specialty teams.

In theory, Bettman's plan for a cleaner and faster game is all fine and dandy if the players are willing change their habits, but unfortunately I think many of these player's habits are instinctively ingrained in their being, and with that being said, I think the players still have quite a way to go. The younger players who are working their way up to the NHL are obviously in a much better situation because they will most certainly find the transition easier for various reasons. Old habits are hard to break.

I sure as hell hope that every hard working two-way player doesn't find himself out of a job because it's these such players who hold teams together when the going gets tough. I DO NOT want to see a league full of Sidney Crosbys and Jaromir Jagrs.

I wanted to see a coaching staff devise a system that could beat the trap because a trapping team has every right to play that way if they choose. I wanted to see a team beat a trapping team on a regular basis so as to force the trapping team into changing their approach to the game. I guess the Devils made them do it! ;)

Sirius

Mark in Oshawa
23rd January 2007, 06:56
Well, you and I are not that far apart, but like I said, the odd smack on the pants turns into slashes and or hooks real easy.

Give it about 5 years when all the guys out of junior have been playing with these rules and start to filter in to the league. Something HAD to be done, because what was happening was just crap.

As for watching a guy fight off checks, if a player knows how to use his body, he can stick himself in the way in a way that wont get a penalty. As for the delay of game thing, well, I learned playing hockey a long time ago to dump a puck off the boards, and as a defenseman I never once put it over the glass. I cant understand what some of these guys are doing, but I agree, it is a lame penalty...

Sirius
25th January 2007, 04:25
Well, you and I are not that far apart

You are right Mark, we really aren't that far apart at all. :up:

The important part in all of this is that the game is going in the right direction, albeit very slowly.

Now, if the league could rid themselves of that little runt Gary Bettman, the league would be really going in the right direction.

Sirius

Mark in Oshawa
25th January 2007, 08:53
Here here, I second that. Gary is a Toad, and I would love to take half the idiots in the US running teams and put the muzzle on them. The vote to put the sched back so every team plays everyone else at LEAST once fell by one vote. That jerk Lou Lamiorello said there was nothing wrong with the sched. He doesn't think so because he gets the Rangers, Islanders and Philly in his building for 12 out of 40 dates a year, and knows they are his only guarantee sellouts.....meanwhile we see Crosby not enough, out west doens't see Crosby save once every 3 years...and the Leaf's don't get to do their annual trip out west.

It just is a joke....but, hey under Bettman the NHL is more irrelevant than ever, yet the product is actually improving. Take away finally enforcing the rule book, and he has done NOTHING good....

A.F.F.
25th January 2007, 09:12
Jere Lehtinen from Dallas is a two-way player with capital letters and I read an interview where he said NHL feels good the way it does now. However, he mentioned there are still too many powerplays but if they find a way to get rid of them, it's better than years. :mark:

Mark in Oshawa
25th January 2007, 09:50
Well, if the players don't like Powerplays, they know how to stop it. The players always spout this crap about "policing the game themselves" but the reality of it is, if we left it to them, it would be the law of the jungle....

Lets face it, they complain when the ref's didn't do anything but call the most obvious muggings, then they complain when they call everything. Here is a clue, they complain!!!

Hockey players are funny people,and good ones, but they have some wacky views of how the world works...

A.F.F.
25th January 2007, 10:06
To be honest, I'm nowhere near qualified to say how NHL works right now because I cannot see the games, therefore I follow it mainly from their website. And as we now, the figures often tell only the half of the truth.

One thing is sure though... my hips don't lie.

Sirius
26th January 2007, 04:26
The players always spout this crap about "policing the game themselves" but the reality of it is, if we left it to them, it would be the law of the jungle....

Hey Mark, come on now...didn't you enjoy Slapshot? ;)

We will definately have to have a serious discussion about Lou Lamoriello. The man is a hockey genius...plain and simple.

AFF, I think most of us are just glad the allstar break is done so we can get back to some serious hockey.

Sirius

A.F.F.
26th January 2007, 09:36
You got that right Sirius. The playoffs are closer every day :)

schmenke
28th January 2007, 03:55
Sigh... what'll it be raikk? :dozey:

Mark in Oshawa
28th January 2007, 11:17
Schmenke...gotta quit betting on the Habs in Toronto. You will learn someday....

Sirius, Lou is a genius as far as judging talent, and understanding where the league is often going, but he looks after his team first, and not the league's interest. He thinks there is nothing wrong with a sched that only takes Sidney Crosby to Western Cities (and by extention, Ovechkin, Malkin and other young stars in the east) once every 3 years. Of course, it works well for the Devils, only one western road trip a year, most of the games within bus range, all his rivals for one third of his games. Ya...it works out well for him, but I think the league needs to look beyond this rivalry stuff. The Rivalries are best because of a playoff beating or two, not meeting in the middle of Febuary playing out the string.....

BTCC2
28th January 2007, 19:16
Hi guys,

Is anyone going to the world Championships this year ?

A.F.F.
28th January 2007, 21:00
Hi guys,

Is anyone going to the world Championships this year ?

Yes there is. Every frigging year.

raikk
29th January 2007, 09:44
woooot we win! ok schmenke your siggy will go as follows..
''Habs tickets: $120 ,Beer(s) for the game $17 : Seeing the Habs get owned by the Leafs: Priceless ''

:)

BTCC2
29th January 2007, 17:22
Yes there is. Every frigging year.

I still don't know whether or not I am going to be going.

I mean I don't want to sound pesemistic but I know that Great Britain are going to be rubbish again. Also Division 1 is in Slovenia and I don't really know if I could get there.

A.F.F.
29th January 2007, 17:55
I still don't know whether or not I am going to be going.

I mean I don't want to sound pesemistic but I know that Great Britain are going to be rubbish again. Also Division 1 is in Slovenia and I don't really know if I could get there.

I do have to apologize. I read your previous post;" Is there going to be World championships this year?". And I answered that. Sorry :angel: :)

BTCC2
29th January 2007, 20:01
No problem A.F.F.

Sirius
30th January 2007, 04:18
Schmenke...gotta quit betting on the Habs in Toronto. You will learn someday....

Sirius, Lou is a genius as far as judging talent, and understanding where the league is often going, but he looks after his team first, and not the league's interest. He thinks there is nothing wrong with a sched that only takes Sidney Crosby to Western Cities (and by extention, Ovechkin, Malkin and other young stars in the east) once every 3 years. Of course, it works well for the Devils, only one western road trip a year, most of the games within bus range, all his rivals for one third of his games. Ya...it works out well for him, but I think the league needs to look beyond this rivalry stuff. The Rivalries are best because of a playoff beating or two, not meeting in the middle of Febuary playing out the string.....

Well Mark, I would only think it natural for a GM to look after his team first and foremost.

I would have to disagree with you on your point about Lou not having the league's best interests at heart. Firstly, he was an instrumental figure during the recent lockout that saw him partake in several important meetings between the two sides. He was asked by the Union to help in the negotiations process and that along with the fact that he belongs to the NHL's negotiating committee would lead one to believe that he does have the league's best interests at heart. So to suggest that he doesn't have the league's interest at heart is a little erroneous if you ask me, but hey, believe what you will. Secondly, the unbalanced schedule was arranged not only to increase the rivalries between teams but to also cut costs for some of the smaller market teams. Not every team can sellout their building like the Leafs you know.

And lastly, the Devils have played many seasons with plenty of travel out west and they were still a very successful franchise. This is the one point that will continually bother me and that is this nonsense about the travel. Yeah...the west may have to travel to different time zones more often, but good god, these are professional atheletes who are supposed to be in great shape. Travel is part of the game, and if you don't like it, move to another city. There is obviously going to be some differences in travel time and the like, however that is something no one can really do anything about now can they? It sure didn't seem to bother the talent laden Edmonton Oiler teams of the 80's. The Devils and other teams in the east cannot keep apologising for the fact that they have less travel than others. That is life.

Now after that Mark...aren't you happy that your Leafs beat the Habs?

Sirius

harvick#1
1st February 2007, 02:31
can you believe what Gary is thinking?

enlarging the nets for next year :mark:

thats stupid and just about every hockey fan thinks that.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd February 2007, 18:30
Gotta love that that Habs cant beat the Leafs, and I wont disagree entirely Sirius in some of the good things Lou has done.

That said, if the greater good of the league conflicts with the Devils, then he isn't for the league in that case.

AS for enlarging the nets, no...shrink the goalie pad another inch in width (it will still protect the goalie), make the blocker an inch less in width, and tigthen up the goalie sweater some, and then leave it alone.

Gary wont be happy until he stage manages the league into a hole so deep no one will see daylight, and then he will still say attendance and ratings are up.

Gary, the net is 4 x 6. Live with it. If in Lacross they can score by the dozen into a smaller net with a bigger goalie, surely to heck they can figure out this problem without making the net bigger.

I like hockey just the way it is now. He has tinkered, enough.

schmenke
2nd February 2007, 19:43
Iggy to return tonight :up:

raikk
2nd February 2007, 23:30
Iggy to return tonight :up:

bandwagoner :p : but wow thats pittsburgh vs Montreal game was great! and what a hit by Armstrong!
Leafs up to 3 in winning streak, penalty killing,goaltending PP has been great for us! keep it up and we will get rewarded! :up:

Mark in Oshawa
3rd February 2007, 07:27
Schmenke is going to the dark side cause he knows his Habs are taking on water, and he is living in the city where the Flames are building another solid playoff team....

The think is Schmenke is from Montreal, so I cut him slack as a Hab's fan, but most of the Hab's fans I grew up with are the biggest band wagon jumpers of all. I grew up in the shadow of the Leaf's nation, and yet Hab's fans with no connection to Montreal sprung up based purely on the 70's era Habs in my age group. Great team then for sure, but that don't mean a life long devotion to em is justified, but then again, maybe the Leaf's don't deserve that either...oh never mind..lol

raikk
5th February 2007, 01:49
wow what an amazing win against the sens! Sundin and Pohl were outstanding!

AndyRAC
5th February 2007, 12:05
I'm a bandwagon jumper, only started watching NHL in 1990, decided to support Habs. One Stanley Cup win since then, not likely this year bit will make Play offs. Good win over Penguins last night though.

raikk
8th February 2007, 03:28
Wow the leafs extend it to 5 wins in a row!
crazy save by Razor!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aDv7VpbP0o

A.F.F.
26th February 2007, 22:19
How many rounds before the playoffs start ??

The Habs are again fighting for it. Hopefully Koivu will lead them to there.

Panthers out, there's no question :mark:

Ducks suffered some injuries but stull heading strongly :up:

schmenke
26th February 2007, 23:01
About 20 games left in the regular season, I think.

Yeah, typical Habs... a stellar first-half season then they struggle to make the play-offs :mark: . That loss to the Islanders didn't help :s

A.F.F.
27th February 2007, 05:34
Well, as much The Habs suck, they still win Leafs blinfolded if they want :D

Man of the match, Saku Koivu, who else ;)

schmenke
27th February 2007, 16:29
I didn't see the game but it sound like the Habs were lucking to win that one.
They aren't going to last long in the playoffs with goaltending like that.

Anyways, raikk, time for a sig change. Check you PM :D

raikk
1st March 2007, 07:52
Leafs aquire Perreault...... Smyth got traded to the Islanders for Omara Nilsson and a 1st rounder...

harvick#1
2nd March 2007, 20:16
I went to the hawks/aves game last night, and without a doubt, the worst game I've ever witnessed in the 10 years of watching hockey games live.

Both teams looks liked amatuers playing. but the Hawks are already one of them :p :

but play was horrible and there was at least only 5000 fans, about 700 Aves fans :D .

El Sween
3rd March 2007, 19:36
So who has booked their tickets for the London Game in September?

raikk
4th March 2007, 06:03
So who has booked their tickets for the London Game in September?

Ya I hope this will be the beginning of expansion into Europe.. It seems very fitting as some of the best players in the world are Euopean and hockey is big in countries like Russia Sweden Czech Republic Finland ect. ect.. It's even growing in popularity in England I think!

Mark in Oshawa
4th March 2007, 06:59
Raikk, the problem is the teams are owned by North Americans and it is hard to see how you could put a sched together with European cities to play the North American ones. The other issue is of course that if you had say 6 European cities, would there be enough players? Would Europeans tend to stay home? The problems of European expansion would be pretty complicated. A BETTER solution would be a top flight European league with teams in Sweden, Finland,Russia, Czech Republic, Switzerland and Germany, say maybe 12 teams total could reach a level where they could put out a challenge to the NHL teams for a winner take all Final. The economics and player supply right now just wont work I don't think.

raikk
7th March 2007, 03:57
Raikk, the problem is the teams are owned by North Americans and it is hard to see how you could put a sched together with European cities to play the North American ones. The other issue is of course that if you had say 6 European cities, would there be enough players? Would Europeans tend to stay home? The problems of European expansion would be pretty complicated. A BETTER solution would be a top flight European league with teams in Sweden, Finland,Russia, Czech Republic, Switzerland and Germany, say maybe 12 teams total could reach a level where they could put out a challenge to the NHL teams for a winner take all Final. The economics and player supply right now just wont work I don't think.

Thats very true but none the less I hope it happens..I'm sure instead of running around from club to club Forsberg would rather stay in Sweden then a Nashville or Philly.. Forsberg really doesn't have a home other then Sweden...figurativly speaking..

A.F.F.
14th March 2007, 00:56
Again, I'm not sure because I can't see the footage, but by the numbers, it seem that the trade of Niko Kapanen to Phoenix was a good move for him. Looks like he has gotten much more responsibility and icetime :up:

schmenke
19th March 2007, 14:40
You enjoying your sig raikk? ;) :p : :D

Sirius
20th March 2007, 03:13
I went to the hawks/aves game last night, and without a doubt, the worst game I've ever witnessed in the 10 years of watching hockey games live.

The Avalanche have really turned things around as of late and have been one of the hottest teams over the last ten games or so. They are but a few points behind the Flames and are looking to claw their way into the playoffs.

They are playing extremely well now.

Sirius

BTCC2
22nd March 2007, 19:54
I will be going to the London game!!!! (hopefully)

British Elite League Standings:

1. Coventry Blaze 75
2. Belfast Giants 69
3. Sheffield Steelers 66
4. Cardiff Devils 65
5. Nottingham Panthers 62
6. Manchester Phoenix 52
7. Basingstoke Bison 50
8. Newcastle Vipers 45 (Yay, We're moving up!!!)
9. Hull Stingrays 39
10. Edinburgh Capitals 39

Sirius
22nd March 2007, 22:42
I will be going to the London game!!!! (hopefully)

British Elite League Standings:

1. Coventry Blaze 75
2. Belfast Giants 69
3. Sheffield Steelers 66
4. Cardiff Devils 65
5. Nottingham Panthers 62
6. Manchester Phoenix 52
7. Basingstoke Bison 50
8. Newcastle Vipers 45 (Yay, We're moving up!!!)
9. Hull Stingrays 39
10. Edinburgh Capitals 39

Glad to see a hockey fan in England BTCC2.

I was wondering if there was a league website you could direct me to because I'd like to know if the rules and regulations are the same as they are over here in North America? Thanks.

Sirius

BTCC2
23rd March 2007, 22:01
Yeah it's actually annoying being a hockey fan in England.

http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/

schmenke
4th April 2007, 21:08
The race for the last playoff spot in the East is down to the wire!

Habs are hanging on to a precarious hold for 8th spot with two games to play... Against the Rangers on Tursday then Toronto on Saturday! The Habs are one point up on Toronto who play the Islanders on Thursay! :s hock: The Isles still have an outside shot at 8th since the have three games remaining. By my understanding, the Isles would have to win all threee games, or as a minimum, win two with an OT loss (for one point) with both the Habs and Toronto losing their remaining two...

Meanwhile, if the Habs win on Thursday and Toronto looses... :D :up: :D

A.F.F.
8th April 2007, 10:09
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT :mad: Habs blew it.

Congrats Leafs, now all you have to do is wait for Islanders move. The only silver line is that now we might have a chance to get Saku Koivu to World Champions....

schmenke
8th April 2007, 19:05
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT :mad: Habs blew it...

Blew a 5 - 3 lead :mark:
What hurts even more is that it was the Leafs that beat them :arrows:

Oh, well, Go Isles! :D :p :

raikk
8th April 2007, 21:07
Blew a 5 - 3 lead :mark:
What hurts even more is that it was the Leafs that beat them :arrows:

Oh, well, Go Isles! :p :

you know what that means schmenke! :D :D

''Kovalev will be diving for golf balls this summer''

your new siggy u have to support till the leafs play the habs again! :biglaugh:

Mark in Oshawa
9th April 2007, 00:41
Gotta love last night eh Schmenke? I was passing through Montreal on the way home Saturday morning, and the sports station there was full of people bad mouthing the Leafs as if the Habs were some superior entity, but I can tell you this much. Us Leaf fans know our team has a few warts and need a lot of holes filled. Habs fans are delusional in Montreal. They figure the rookie goalie and Kovalev trying were all they need. The Habs are as bad as the Leafs and in many ways worse. Gutless is a word I thought of.....soft is another.

Last night was like watching two derliects fighting in an alley for a quarter that is about to roll down the drain....

PSfan
9th April 2007, 00:57
Man that Isles/Devils game must have been tuff on the leaf fans. I missed most of it due to the champcar race, but man... Isle's with a 2-0 lead with 10 mins to go. Devils tieing it in the last second... Isles winning in a shoot-out... Lucky I'm not a leafs fan, I go threw enough mood swings on my own... :p :

Mark in Oshawa
9th April 2007, 01:23
Being a Leaf's fan is hell, but they didn't deserve to make the playoffs with their play this season. When they lost that last game on the Island, they put their fate in Ted Nolan's hands, and he will be a contender for coach of the year. Anyone who can get Yashin and Satan to play meaningful hockey when their backs are to the wall must be a magician.

It sucks that the Leafs wont make the show, but at least the Raptors are in the playoffs in the NBA.

Plus, I am hoping to see my Oshawa Generals get to the OHL finals.....

A.F.F.
9th April 2007, 11:11
Anyone who can get Yashin and Satan to play meaningful hockey when their backs are to the wall must be a magician.

With Yashin I can understand but how do you figure with Satan?

Then again, maybe Isle coach got a consultation from Dumledore himself :p :

BTCC2
9th April 2007, 15:01
Well, Newcastle Vipers season ended last week.

And I have to admit that that was one of the worst seasons we've ever had, especialy with all of the pre-season promise after winning the playoffs in 2006. We had a lot of new players, that the club said would move us forwards, but in reality we've taken HUGE steps back from last season. I am NOT happy!!!

On a happier note, I fly off to Slovenia this Saturady for the World Championships, GB play Japan on Sunday. We will no doubt lose again! The only game in our group that I think we will win is the game against Romania. We will lose against Japan, Slovenia, Lithuania and Hungary (Maybe). Still I can't wait!!!

schmenke
9th April 2007, 15:48
...your new siggy u have to support till the leafs play the habs again! :biglaugh:

Not bloody likely! :p :
Season is over for the both of us pal :p :
I'm riding a different wagon now :D

raikk
10th April 2007, 07:36
pfff double crosser lol

Mark in Oshawa
10th April 2007, 20:12
Schmenke is learning what US Leaf fans have had to learn. When your team doesn't make the playoffs, you adopt a new one for the playoff drive!!

Schemenke and I might even get on the same page on this one if he starts cheering for the Flames. They are my second team for sure. Cant stand Marc Crawford so I wish ill will on the nucks, and as for the Senators...well they are Ottawa, they will find a way to screw this up. Sad, because I like the ownership there and love the city itself.

Mark in Oshawa
10th April 2007, 20:14
Now, just reading the paper, I see my Oshawa Generals are now down 2 games to none against Belleville Bulls in the OHL Eastern Conference playdowns....now THAT sucks!!!!

janneppi
10th April 2007, 20:17
Mhee, in Finnish finals, Helsinki Pakarat lost also the second game, come on Käräpät! :)

A.F.F.
10th April 2007, 22:08
Schmenke is learning what US Leaf fans have had to learn. When your team doesn't make the playoffs, you adopt a new one for the playoff drive!!

I play it even safer. I cheer for a few teams from the start of the season. While habs is gone, go Ducks :bounce:

BTCC2
10th April 2007, 23:13
Sorry if this is a realy stupid question. But do what do you think the chances of the GB Elite Leagues best team (Coventry Blaze) beating the NHLs wekest team are.

I don't really know how much better NHL teams are because Ice Hockey in England recieves no media coverage at all( unless you're in Coventry, where it gets loads).

Tomi
10th April 2007, 23:16
Sorry if this is a realy stupid question. But do what do you think the chances of the GB Elite Leagues best team (Coventry Blaze) beating the NHLs wekest team are.

I don't really know how much better NHL teams are because Ice Hockey in England recieves no media coverage at all.

no chance what so ever, :)

BTCC2
10th April 2007, 23:20
Blaze are VERY good though. I think it would be closer than you might expect.

Tomi
10th April 2007, 23:24
Blaze are VERY good though. I think it would be closer than you might expect.

really how did they do in european cup?

A.F.F.
10th April 2007, 23:26
This year the weakest team was Philadelphia Flyers. Coventry Blaze, being very good and better, would stand no chance against Flyers.

BTCC2
10th April 2007, 23:29
I wasn't aware that they were in it.

schmenke
10th April 2007, 23:31
...Schemenke and I might even get on the same page on this one if he starts cheering for the Flames. They are my second team for sure. ...

Kinda hard not to get caught up in the playoff hype in this city :D However, I do really think that the Flames are a long shot. Can't see them getting past the Wings, especially with the quality of their play in the past few games :s

Buffalo - Detroit final is what I'm betting on in my playoff pool ;) :D

BTCC2
10th April 2007, 23:32
really how did they do in european cup?

I wasn't aware they were in it.

This year the weakest team was Philadelphia Flyers. Coventry Blaze, being very good and better, would stand no chance against Flyers.

Come on, in a one off game against an NHL team you have no idea how fired up the players would be, are you trying to say that there isn't the slightest possibilty that they would win?

Tomi
10th April 2007, 23:39
I wasn't aware they were in it.

Come on, in a one off game against an NHL team you have no idea how fired up the players would be, are you trying to say that there isn't the slightest possibilty that they would win?

no possibility

A.F.F.
10th April 2007, 23:59

Not trying to be rude or anything but yes.

EDIT: NHL players, should they be fired up or not, have their professional pride towards hockey. No way they would take it easy, not even after a long and lost season.

BTCC2
11th April 2007, 00:17
Well I still disagree. :D :D

I know NHL players are in a differnt league standard wise to GBEL players but in a one off game I think Coventry Blaze would give the Flyers a run for their money. The GBEL players would have their pride at stake as well, they would not want to be embarresed in front of the whole of North America by getting hammered 10-0.

BTCC2
11th April 2007, 00:43
Oh I also forgot to tell you that a couple of months ago we (Newcastle Vipers) signed Ian Fraser!!!

He's so good. Was he any good in the NHL?

Mark in Oshawa
11th April 2007, 04:49
Iain Fraser was the captain of the Oshawa Generals when they won the Memorial cup, and was a property of the Islanders in the NHL. I don't think he actually made it to the regular season and likely only played a bit in the AHL. You can look up past players in the hockey data base that is on the net, but it is a few years behind right now.

BTCC, If you think your Vipers can beat an NHL team, I think you are crazy. Understand that as "bad" as the Flyers look, they have about 6 young guys that would tear the British league apart, and their goalie, Martin Biron is light years ahead of the British league. Being bad in the NHL isn't really THAT bad. I have looked over rosters on many different levels of leagues looking for familiar names that I know from watching Major Junior and the NHL, and I can tell you that the British League has about 5 or 6 players I have even HEARD of. That means if they were drafted in the NHL, they were likely 5 or 6 rounds deep when they were picked, and they didn't stay in the NHL system. I can tell you that if you sifted through a hundred of those guys, you might find ONE that maybe got overlooked. As bad as the Flyers have been this year at times, they wouldn't lose to any team in the British league. The British league is close to where the ECHL is, which is to say, 2 levels below the NHL, and that is no shame believe me.....Heck, the Senior A Whitby Dunlops nearby me, an amateur team look like world beaters, but I know they have no one who made the show and would get killed playing an NHL team. They would likely be at a par with the British Hockey league. When a grad of that league makes the NHL, then I will look at saying the British league maybe has upgraded in levels of ability.

It isn't that I want to knock the league BTCC, on the contrary, I would love for some players from the UK to really make an impact, but I know that league just doesn't have the depth of talent to be taken too seriously. NHL players are just increments faster in their decision making and skating than some players in the AHL, but that increment would make all the difference. The ECHL and British League is filled with guys who couldn't stick around in the AHL.....so you do the math. It isn't a great difference, but it is enough to make any match up a blow out.

jarrambide
11th April 2007, 05:19
Being a Leaf's fan is hell, but they didn't deserve to make the playoffs with their play this season. When they lost that last game on the Island, they put their fate in Ted Nolan's hands, and he will be a contender for coach of the year. Anyone who can get Yashin and Satan to play meaningful hockey when their backs are to the wall must be a magician.

It sucks that the Leafs wont make the show, but at least the Raptors are in the playoffs in the NBA.

Plus, I am hoping to see my Oshawa Generals get to the OHL finals.....
You big CRY BABY, you think is bad beeing a Leaf´s fan?, I have a friend who lives in Phily, try beeing a Flyer´s fan (I love the logo I have to admit), that is hell my friend, the worst team in all the NHL.
A while ago (a while ago means, many, many, many years) he asked me why everty time I went to Phily I wanted to attend a few flyer´s games, I had to tell him the truth, I love the fact you can get great seats by arriving 20 or 30 minutes before game time.

A.F.F.
12th April 2007, 12:42
Way to go Ducks :up: One down, three to go.

raikk
14th April 2007, 00:24

I don't really know how much better NHL teams are because Ice Hockey in England recieves no media coverage at all( unless you're in Coventry, where it gets loads).

sorry not a chance... this GB Elite team may be good but thats only against teams in its own confrence/division.. you do not realize how good an NHL team is until you see one for your self.. I'm pretty sure that probally any CHL team could probally beat them too.. Unfortunetly GB really does not have very much of a hockey culture and that affects how the players play because they will not have much influence due to the lack of coverage of hockey in GBR..

It is like comparing Canadian footie players to GB/European foot ball players... There is no way that team Canada would beat even the worst of English league teams...

I hope:
Minny
Pitts
Nashville
Dallas
Buffalo
NJD
ATL
Det/CAL(don't care which one)

get past the first round..

raikk
14th April 2007, 01:08
You big CRY BABY, you think is bad beeing a Leaf´s fan?, I have a friend who lives in Phily, try beeing a Flyer´s fan (I love the logo I have to admit), that is hell my friend, the worst team in all the NHL.
A while ago (a while ago means, many, many, many years) he asked me why everty time I went to Phily I wanted to attend a few flyer´s games, I had to tell him the truth, I love the fact you can get great seats by arriving 20 or 30 minutes before game time.

Actually the leafs have put them selves in one of the worst spots.. at least the Flyers get a top 5 draft. The leafs are stuck with not getting a chance to compete in the Playoffs and a 13th round pick.. Don't get me wrong that 13th round pick will probally make the NHL and be talented but not superstar material.. On the contrary the leafs did have a very exciting season despite no making the playoffs.. their up tempo game really impressed me and made them to be one of the more exciting teams to watch in the NHL.. But still the season will be considered as many as a failure... the weight of 40 cupless years do not sit well with the organization and the fans..

BTCC2
14th April 2007, 12:09
you do not realize how good an NHL team is until you see one for your self.

I am going to go to a Florida Panthers game when I'm there in 2009.

I fly to Slovenia at 6:00PM GMT for the World Championships tonight !!!!

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2007, 21:45
I am not a baby, I am a Leaf's fan, which likely is worse. I however, unlike many in the Leaf's Nation know exactly how screwed up my team is after the last 2 years of JFJ Jr.'s reign as the general manager. We are being squeezed under the salary cap by bad management and useless overpaid players. Bryan McCabe and Pavel Kubina should have NEVER been signed and the Leaf's would have been far smarter to rebuild this year, and maybe yes, finish down where the Flyers are.

The Flyers may suck to some people, but in the last few months of the season, they started playing decent hockey once they got past the reality they wouldn't make the playoffs and traded Forsberg. What is more, when they picked up Martin Biron, they got a goalie that finally is of the level of being a number one goalie in the league.

No, I am not a cry baby Jose, I bemoan the fact the Leaf's are not going anywhere for a while, but I realize that to get good, sometimes you have to be REALLY bad sometimes, but the idiots running the Maple Leafs haven't figured this out yet. I will have to wait....for competant management to come along, but I do know it will come when the idiots running the Leafs finally realize the errors of their ways and hire a top flight manager and let him actually run it. Personally, I would take everyone who has anything to do with the hockey team above the coach and fire the lot of them. Including the ownership. One of the great reasons the Toronto has struggled is inept managers and owners...and the corporate managers that own the team right now care more about the profits the Leaf's nation generates rather than giving them a cup. Why I stay a fan, I guess I have no idea. I think just is too hard to change after all these years....but I will be cheering on the Flames and the Sabres.....now THAT will be a final!

AndyRAC
14th April 2007, 21:52
Anybody to win the Cup except the Devils, oh boy are they boring to watch, might be effective but not good for promoting the game.

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2007, 23:24
PS, Jose, the Flyers still will always suck to me. Any town that would boo Santa Claus and would likely boo safe landings at the airport deserves to have sports teams that draw derision from the rest of the continent. Philly fans are just over the top for being obnoxious.....

If anyone remembers, this is the town where some stupid fool kept leaning over the glass hurling abuse on Tie Domi and pouring his beer (inadvertently) over Domi. The glass gives way, the idiot falls in to the penalty box WITH Domi (or rather on top of him), and then Domi figures after that he has to be under attack and beats the crap out of the idiot. Now I cannot STAND Tie Domi, but when this loser actually sued Domi, I actually felt for Domi...for an instant anyhow.....THAT guy is your typical Philly Fan....

A.F.F.
15th April 2007, 09:40
I'm DISAPPOINTED with Thrashers :down:

jarrambide
15th April 2007, 16:48
PS, Jose, the Flyers still will always suck to me. Any town that would boo Santa Claus and would likely boo safe landings at the airport deserves to have sports teams that draw derision from the rest of the continent. Philly fans are just over the top for being obnoxious.....

If anyone remembers, this is the town where some stupid fool kept leaning over the glass hurling abuse on Tie Domi and pouring his beer (inadvertently) over Domi. The glass gives way, the idiot falls in to the penalty box WITH Domi (or rather on top of him), and then Domi figures after that he has to be under attack and beats the crap out of the idiot. Now I cannot STAND Tie Domi, but when this loser actually sued Domi, I actually felt for Domi...for an instant anyhow.....THAT guy is your typical Philly Fan....
See, try to be a fan of a team that sucks, they do suck, they will always suck, thats is my point, that is hard, real, real hard, at least you get to be a fan of a team which is not hated by the majority of NHL fans and have a healthy attemdance, I was no kidding about the fact that I go to Flyer´s games when I´m in Phily because you get good seats if you decide to go on the last minute, Flyer´s games are great when every other plan fails.

schmenke
16th April 2007, 15:46
Flames are down 2 - 0. They are playing like they have lead feet :mark: No offense whatsoever :down:
Wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit take them in 4 :dozey:

A.F.F.
16th April 2007, 16:17
yep, nice figures last night. Kiprusoff: 3-51 Hasek: 1-15

raikk
17th April 2007, 01:10
I am not a baby, I am a Leaf's fan, which likely is worse. I however, unlike many in the Leaf's Nation know exactly how screwed up my team is after the last 2 years of JFJ Jr.'s reign as the general manager. We are being squeezed under the salary cap by bad management and useless overpaid players. Bryan McCabe and Pavel Kubina should have NEVER been signed and the Leaf's would have been far smarter to rebuild this year, and maybe yes, finish down where the Flyers are.

The Flyers may suck to some people, but in the last few months of the season, they started playing decent hockey once they got past the reality they wouldn't make the playoffs and traded Forsberg. What is more, when they picked up Martin Biron, they got a goalie that finally is of the level of being a number one goalie in the league.

No, I am not a cry baby Jose, I bemoan the fact the Leaf's are not going anywhere for a while, but I realize that to get good, sometimes you have to be REALLY bad sometimes, but the idiots running the Maple Leafs haven't figured this out yet. I will have to wait....for competant management to come along, but I do know it will come when the idiots running the Leafs finally realize the errors of their ways and hire a top flight manager and let him actually run it. Personally, I would take everyone who has anything to do with the hockey team above the coach and fire the lot of them. Including the ownership. One of the great reasons the Toronto has struggled is inept managers and owners...and the corporate managers that own the team right now care more about the profits the Leaf's nation generates rather than giving them a cup. Why I stay a fan, I guess I have no idea. I think just is too hard to change after all these years....but I will be cheering on the Flames and the Sabres.....now THAT will be a final!

While I agree with you that JFJ has over paid many of his players he has some what rebuilt the leafs prospect pool again... Before JFJ was GM the leafs had 1 top prospect.. the former GM kept trading our future away for older guys and more experiance.. While McCabe and Kubina have gotten more then they deserve I do feel that they have made the leafs better defensively then last year.. JFJ's smartest signing was Paul Maurice his up tempo game will pay off in the future when the leafs have more finnish and goaltending... JFJ's worst trade was Raycroft for Rask..Biron got a traded for a 2nd round pick while we trade what is arguably one of our best goalies for an average streaky goaltender..I think we could of got more for Rask..

In a way though you knew that the Leafs could not have both Pogge and Rask and that eventually you would have to trade one of them.. unfortunetly we did not get as much as we would of liked to get for Rask but that happens... I give JFJ a C.. for building up our prospects ,signing Paul Maurice as coach but over paying players and the Rask-Raycroft deal..

raikk
17th April 2007, 01:12
Flames are down 2 - 0. They are playing like they have lead feet :mark: No offense whatsoever :down:
Wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit take them in 4 :dozey:

The grass is always greener in Nashville :D

A.F.F.
18th April 2007, 06:13
WTF happened to Kari Lehtonen? :eek: Rangers won 7-0.

Woodeye
18th April 2007, 08:31
WTF happened to Kari Lehtonen? :eek: Rangers won 7-0.

It seems that he's starting a career as a hoover salesman...

schmenke
18th April 2007, 15:54
Flames are back in it but I still think that the Wings will take the series... :dozey:

raikk
21st April 2007, 06:21
The grass is always greener in Nashville :D

apparently not :s hocked:

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2007, 17:15
Boy oh boy...I was rooting for Nashville, and the Sharks just took em out. This year is getting to be one interesting playoff, and we will have some really good matchups in round two. What gets me is Vancouver just hanging on like a barnacle with their goalie winning games for them over a really tough Dallas team. Goalies make or break teams, but man...I never saw Vancouver getting past Dallas, and it appears it may happen...

A.F.F.
22nd April 2007, 00:06
Yep, I never thought Rangers had a chance against Thrashers and they just run over them :mark:

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2007, 03:49
Speaking of nasty things, I watched the Detroit Calgary game on the Saturday, Calgary better get their head's out of their collective tushes or they will be golfing by mid week. That was ugly and pointless....

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2007, 07:35
Well, Kipper, Iginla and the boys will be making tee times for Wednesday or so I figure.....tight game with Detroit, but when you get outshot almost 3 to 1 over 4 plus periods of hockey, you cant live forever. Much better game to watch however...the chippy crap gets old and is pointless...

schmenke
23rd April 2007, 15:57
Gawd, you should here the harsh talk in this town now... :s Ugly, and if you ask me unfair ('scuse the pun :mark: ), talk about axing Playfair. Plus speculations now abound about shaking up the Flames with trades, specifically Iginla and/or Kiprusoff. I can't see that happening... :mark:
Kipper did the best that he could with the lousy defence that he had in front...

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2007, 19:23
Kipper was a1, and the defense isn't the issue Schmenke, they lack two good forward lines. That last game said it all. They were massively outshot and from what I saw, it was Iginla trying to carry the team on his back. Tanguay played well and after he and Iginla, I just didn't see any real talent on this team up front. Any team that gets outshot that badly and has that much trouble carrying the rush is in trouble.

I do think they could upgrade on defense, but there are 4 untouchables IMO. Iginla, Kipper, Tanguay and Phanuef. How you improve is beyond me, but if you trade one of these four, you better get a hell of a replacement.

schmenke
23rd April 2007, 20:13
Well, Amonte was brought into the team to provide some more offensive depth but he's been mediocre at best. But you're right, the Iggy-Tanguay-Langkow line, along with Kipper, has been pretty much carrying the team all season.

Nonetheless, the fans are screaming for a scapegoat and I fear Playfair's days are numbered... :mark:

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2007, 21:16
Playfair did the best he had. Calgary never really got quicker and more offensively minded when the rules crackdown hit....Playfair doesn't deserve the ax, but I wonder if Sutter may do it anyhow to shut up the racket from the fans. It is a crappy way to manage, but a lot of GM's do it...

schmenke
23rd April 2007, 21:39
...It is a crappy way to manage, but a lot of GM's do it...

Tell me about it... I'm a Habs fan remember :mark: :p :

Mark in Oshawa
24th April 2007, 04:06
Schmenke..lol...at least the management in Montreal knows when the fans are unhappy, here in Ontario, the Leaf's are run by people who just count the money and laugh....

jarrambide
24th April 2007, 05:12
Lets see, out of the 16 teams that made the play offs only 3 were Canadian, Calgary, Vancouver and Ottawa, which means 15 U.S. teams made the play offs, out of the 8 that will get to the next phase, 6 U.S. teams are already in the next phase, and only one canadian team, Vancouver and Dallas are still playing their series, which means that as much as 7 teams from the U.S. can be in the next phase, but the funny part is that not a single post on this page (13 posts) is from anyone from the U.S., 11 posts are from Canadians, and the other 2 are from guys from Finland, in fact, this will be the 14th post and I´m from Mexico.

They have almost every team in the league but no fans?, a few cities like Detroit and Boston love their hockey teams but some cities like L.A., Arizona and Miami couldn´t care less about their hockey teams.

jarrambide
24th April 2007, 05:12
Lets see, out of the 16 teams that made the play offs only 3 were Canadian, Calgary, Vancouver and Ottawa, which means 15 U.S. teams made the play offs, out of the 8 that will get to the next phase, 6 U.S. teams are already in the next phase, and only one canadian team, Vancouver and Dallas are still playing their series, which means that as much as 7 teams from the U.S. can be in the next phase, but the funny part is that not a single post on this page (13 posts) is from anyone from the U.S., 11 posts are from Canadians, and the other 2 are from guys from Finland, in fact, this will be the 14th post and I´m from Mexico.

They have almost every team in the league but no fans?, a few cities like Detroit and Boston love their hockey teams but some cities like L.A., Arizona and Miami couldn´t care less about their hockey teams.

Mark in Oshawa
24th April 2007, 05:58
Jose, it is nuts aint it? What it is that hockey fans in the US are actually more in number than you realize, but with all the sports in the US, they have short attention spans once their team is out. Also, sunbelt teams are often fairweather fans at best. No, the Canadians on here talk about the hockey because it is part of cultural DNA. Show me most Canadians of the generation Schmenke and I grew up in, and I will show you someone who either played hockey or lived for Saturday night when their team was playing on Hockey Night in Canada or both.

Americans treat hockey as a fun sport, one they enjoy, and in areas like Minnesota, Michigan, Upstate NY and New England it can be a passion, but in Canada, we bleed hockey. The reason the NHL isn't in more Canadian cities is because the economics of the sport when you have multimillion dollar payrolls has priced it out of all but 6 cities in Canada. That said, the economics are not working in many American cities, but it is the dirty little secret the NHL wont admit. They would rather sell the game to rich disinterested Americans and fail than give it to a few more Canadian markets and make a little less. Winnipeg, Quebec and possibly another two teams could easily fit into the Greater Toronto Area, and all make money if the NHL was not at the 45 million dollar payroll level. Alas, things have gotten out of us Canadians control, but it wont change the fact no other nation takes as much pride or love in the sport, and plays it with passion. We are just happy that other countries outside the US now love it and care about it to a level that we can understand. The ironic part is, the US actually has more people playing at some level of hockey than you would guess at, they are only behind Canada slightly in total number of players in organized leagues...

jarrambide
24th April 2007, 06:28
Mark, you seem to love hockey, and by your comments it seems to me that you now well the different minor leagues of hockey (you have talk about the Oshawa generals for example).

I live in Monterrey, Mexico, which means that I don´t have any U.S. cities with NHL teams close to my city, so I don´t attend NHL games that often, but I live close to San Antonio, so I like to attend games of the AHL. I´m relocating to Houston, Texas, they don´t have an NHL team but they have a AHL team (a very bad one, the Aeros were dead last), and driving 3 hours to Dallas to catch a NHL game will not happen very often.

How good is the AHL compared to the rest of the minor leagues?, how good is the AHL overall?, is it like AAA vs Major League comparison?

A.F.F.
24th April 2007, 07:33
The playoffs are so not going like I predicted. The end of round one, Dallas out. :mark: And it doesn't help us a bit with the championships since we have too many forwards in Team Finland already. What we need is strong defence. And a good goalie. Not Kari Lehtonen.

Mark in Oshawa
24th April 2007, 17:24
Mark, you seem to love hockey, and by your comments it seems to me that you now well the different minor leagues of hockey (you have talk about the Oshawa generals for example).

I live in Monterrey, Mexico, which means that I don´t have any U.S. cities with NHL teams close to my city, so I don´t attend NHL games that often, but I live close to San Antonio, so I like to attend games of the AHL. I´m relocating to Houston, Texas, they don´t have an NHL team but they have a AHL team (a very bad one, the Aeros were dead last), and driving 3 hours to Dallas to catch a NHL game will not happen very often.

How good is the AHL compared to the rest of the minor leagues?, how good is the AHL overall?, is it like AAA vs Major League comparison?

The AHL is AAA basically. It is pretty good hockey, if not prone to some goon tactics on occasion, but overall, the guys there are just a notch behind the NHL. The thing to remember with this is that means they are still outstanding hockey players. The difference in talent between the NHL and AHL is not that apparent unless you played them one against the other, and with the top talent in the NHL being a lot higher. For the journeyman player though, a lot of AHL guys would be in the NHL if for fate being different.

Note also, since you are moving to Texas, there is minor league hockey in the CHL and ECHL at various cities. Since franchises come and go, I haven't kept up on it, but it is about the AA or A equivalent. It can be a lot of fun, and those guys are hard working guys with no big contracts, so they are hungry and aggressive players.

As for my Generals, well, they were swept in the Eastern Conference Semi's of the OHL in four straight games by the Belleville Bulls. Next year will be different, we have a lot of young guys coming up and John Tavares will be really coming into his own. He broke Wayne Gretzky's record for goals by a 16 year old in the OHL with 72 (Wayne had 70) and with two more years of Junior eligibility left, we will have a Memorial Cup challenger for sure....

jarrambide
24th April 2007, 21:31
Now that you mention CHL and ECHL, Laredo (which is relatively close to Monterrey) has a CHL team, The Laredo Bucks, my cousin who thinks San Antonio is too far to attend a hockey game likes to see the Bucks, and if I´m not wrong I think the Bucks are affilitiaded with The San Antonio Rampage (just like The Rampage is affiliated with Phoenix).

A.F.F.
25th April 2007, 13:26
Ok, the second round is about to start.

Pairs are:

Rangers vs. Sabres
Devils vs. Senators
Ducks vs. Canucks
Red Wings vs. Sharks

I'm personally cheering for Sabres and Ducks the most. I wouldn't mind at all them taking Stanley Cup. The only sad thing about is that should they win, it'll be most certain that Teemu Selänne retires after that. But out of all Finn hockey players, he deserves the cup most :up:

schmenke
25th April 2007, 15:34
Well, the only chance I have in winning my playoff pool is for the Sabres and Wings to go to the finals.
I think the Sabres will do it, but I'm begining to have doubts about the Wings. The Sharks have a younger, more aggressive team and I think they're now fired up for the next round.

schmenke
25th April 2007, 20:28
This has been doing the e-mail rounds recently in Calgary...
Cruel... :s

schmenke
25th April 2007, 20:31
And this pic was taking by my buddy's sister-in-law in Kelowna B.C...
(This one really hurts :mad: )

raikk
28th April 2007, 23:02
And this pic was taking by my buddy's sister-in-law in Kelowna B.C...
(This one really hurts :mad: )

I'm surprised it wasn't of the leafs .. :/

Leafs re-sign Boyd Deveraux for another 2 years....

..I like the Sabres.. and maaybe even Ottawa(belive it or not :s ) Onething I hope for is that the ducks shut up the crowd over here in Vancouver..

Mark in Oshawa
29th April 2007, 00:03
Ducks vs Sabres for the Cup, you hear it here. They are the two best teams, with honourable mention going to the Sharks and Sens.

Schmenke, I have told all my Habfan buddies that they better get used to being just another team, they used up a Century's worth of luck and Karma winning all those cups, but in the "new" NHL, they wont get a sniff.....

BTCC2
30th April 2007, 20:26
Very soon I am going to prescribe to NASN which means i'll finally get to watch live NHL games !!!

schmenke
30th April 2007, 20:59
You going to be awake in the wee hours of the morning to watch them live? :p :

BTCC2
30th April 2007, 23:30
yep.

The times aren't that bad, there's none right in the middle of the night (4-5) they're mostly on earlier (1-2) or later (5-6)

edv
3rd May 2007, 05:45
IT WAS 40 YEARS AGO TODAY I remember that night when the Leafs last won the cup. The Chief scored the empty netter to seal the deal in Game 6.

I remember that year the Leafs played a game in Detroit and thrashed them so hard that Frank Mahovlich left the game in disgust halfway thru the 3rd period. Leafs won 13-0 IIRC.