PDA

View Full Version : Official NHL/hockey thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

dunes
7th May 2010, 01:58
TV don't care...NBC has no ambition of large ratings....unless the Rangers are in the playoffs, they would like Crosby I am sure, but I don't think he moves the needle. It doesn't matter anyhow..the best team wins in a 7 game series. The NHL and TV don't fix things...the players decide it...and if they are stupid enough to take dumb penalties at the wrong time, I don't hold it against the ref...

I was just playing devils advocate.

Look at those wings. Babcock must have woke them up.It'll be hard to win 4 straight. still Franzen with 5 points in this game and its omnly half over.With the score 6-0

I really would have liked to see the ovechkin-crosby show for the cup.But ovechkin is now in his home land playing and we all know what sid's doing-everything.

and no I didn't mean pitt-EDV.

dunes
7th May 2010, 02:41
pitt downed by mont.3-2

dunes
7th May 2010, 03:07
7-1 det Franzen 4 goals
Have these guys finally showed up to play or is San Jose just too relaxed.

Mark in Oshawa
7th May 2010, 03:09
7-1 det Franzen 4 goals
Have these guys finally showed up to play or is San Jose just too relaxed.

They are San Jose, perennial chokers...

dunes
7th May 2010, 03:11

I do remember many times they beat themselves and against det. as well. they could really be triing to get even and having a bad day.They're even losing the fights.

dunes
7th May 2010, 03:27
back to SJ for game 5. finally I can relax and think they've woken up. final
7-1

DavePI2
7th May 2010, 22:36
I went to my first playoff game last night. Had a lot of fun at detroit(sorry san jose fans). Thought I watching history there for awhile. Playoff atmosphere is so awsome. I live in columbus ohio, too bad we will never see anything like that here. I want to wings to win but good luck to the sharks if they don't(and I certainly wouldn't bet against the sharks because of one game). Too bad Franzen didn't get the credit for the first goal, would have been nice to see him get 5. Will be interesting to see if game 5 gets as rough as last night in the 3rd.
If you ever get the chance I highly reccomend going to a michigan hockey game also, craziest fans in sports I have ever seen are at michigan hockey games. At an osu hockey game this year the public address announcers were instructing osu fans on how to do michigan cheers. Oh well osu has stole everything else, they might as well steel those too.

david

tstran17_88
8th May 2010, 01:04

I don't think they'll choke this year. The difference this year is Dany Heatley & moving my boy Joe Pavelski up to the top line with Thornton & Heatley...but they still may not make it past the Blackhawks. The Hawks are really good! They did have a tought time with Nashville, but the Preds have always had the Hawks number.

tstran17_88
8th May 2010, 01:16
My bad...I meant to say that Pav & Heatley play the same line on PP's...the Wisconsin connection. (Sometimes Thornton is on that line as well).

tstran17_88
8th May 2010, 03:26
One thing I thought of. Why do I always get stuck watching eastern conference hockey games on Versus, especially when the Penguins or Capitals are playing, when I want to and live in the western conference hockey market! Sucks ass!

I can think of plenty of players who are big names in the west...Toews, Heatley, Kane, the Sedin's, Thornton & Zetterberg.

dunes
8th May 2010, 06:05
A tough one for Boston tonight. The Bruins had everytyhing going thier way. Able to keep one step up and then overtime anfd everything changed. It sounded like a very close game except for all the penaties in the first period.The game winner scored by Simone Gagne 1st game back in the playoffs too.I'm not knocking any Boston fans {member,My Mom RIP},This was really a cool game to hear driving along the highway.

Dave yuou couldn't be any luckier if you planned it this way. True it could have been curtains and you went to you're 1st playoff game at the Joe.Theres A REASON ITS CALLED HOCKEYTOWN.We in Detroit have a long tradition of enjoying sports no matter who were watching. Just think last year the lions had 3 sellout games.Regaurdless the reason we always come out for a party. Even if it means it'll be the last one of the year.
"Ain't no party like a Detroit party"-Kidd Rock.

The Vancover-Chicago game was a blowout for Chi town. they couldn't do anything wrong.7-4 Chicago. Now back to The windy city for game 5 and It could be season over for Vancover and the twins.

Mark in Oshawa
8th May 2010, 14:56
I don't think they'll choke this year. The difference this year is Dany Heatley & moving my boy Joe Pavelski up to the top line with Thornton & Heatley...but they still may not make it past the Blackhawks. The Hawks are really good! They did have a tought time with Nashville, but the Preds have always had the Hawks number.'

With the talent that team has presented, and how well they have done in the regular season, and how spectacularily they have failed in the post-season, one couldn't call them anything else. If Detroit wins another and makes this a 3-2 series, boy the collars will be tight!!!

No team do you want to see in that situation LESS than the Red Wings. Too many of them remember how to win, and they have a team built to adapt to who they are playing. Also, no team wears it worse for not being able to close the deal worse than the San Jose Sharks.

Mark in Oshawa
8th May 2010, 14:57
A tough one for Boston tonight. The Bruins had everytyhing going thier way. Able to keep one step up and then overtime anfd everything changed. It sounded like a very close game except for all the penaties in the first period.The game winner scored by Simone Gagne 1st game back in the playoffs too.I'm not knocking any Boston fans {member,My Mom RIP},This was really a cool game to hear driving along the highway.

Dave yuou couldn't be any luckier if you planned it this way. True it could have been curtains and you went to you're 1st playoff game at the Joe.Theres A REASON ITS CALLED HOCKEYTOWN.We in Detroit have a long tradition of enjoying sports no matter who were watching. Just think last year the lions had 3 sellout games.Regaurdless the reason we always come out for a party. Even if it means it'll be the last one of the year.
"Ain't no party like a Detroit party"-Kidd Rock.

The Vancover-Chicago game was a blowout for Chi town. they couldn't do anything wrong.7-4 Chicago. Now back to The windy city for game 5 and It could be season over for Vancover and the twins.

Boston will finish them off...Philly is living on borrowed time..I don't think they can do this 3 more times before the Bruins beat them. Not with Rask in net, and not with the way the Flyers are so inconsistent.

dunes
9th May 2010, 07:09
I've never been one to use a missed call for losing a a game- However if the RedWings ever had a chance it was taken away while Franzen lay in San Jose's end cringing in pain for a hit to the head that was not called and The sharks went down the ice to score the game winning goal.All in all it was a really well played game on both sides. The Sharks Missing a Penelty shot,The goalies both were spetacular.
That said Yes it was me who said the Wings wouldn't make it out of this round, and it was me who said They were playing poorly.Even with the rout in Det.The other day; they haven't played up to thier potential in either series.The one I feel bad for is Howard, But I reckon he'll get to redeem himself soon enough.

Pens beat up on Mont as well.2-1 Blowing a shoutout late in the 3rd
Can anyone else feel the excitement?

Mark in Oshawa
9th May 2010, 14:43
I've never been one to use a missed call for losing a a game- However if the RedWings ever had a chance it was taken away while Franzen lay in San Jose's end cringing in pain for a hit to the head that was not called and The sharks went down the ice to score the game winning goal.All in all it was a really well played game on both sides. The Sharks Missing a Penelty shot,The goalies both were spetacular.
That said Yes it was me who said the Wings wouldn't make it out of this round, and it was me who said They were playing poorly.Even with the rout in Det.The other day; they haven't played up to thier potential in either series.The one I feel bad for is Howard, But I reckon he'll get to redeem himself soon enough.

Pens beat up on Mont as well.2-1 Blowing a shoutout late in the 3rd
Can anyone else feel the excitement?
I didn't watch the game, I had on the NASCAR race and then went to bed.....but a missed call? You are a Red Wings fan...it might be a clean hit....but YOU don't see it that way.

The Red Wings gave it a good go...but they slept in the first few games and you cant do that. Kudo's to both teams for playing some good hockey in this series though. Kudos to the Sharks in particular for getting the monkey off their back. Of course, it is about to be beaten to a pulp by the rough and tumble Chicago Black Hawks...

dunes
9th May 2010, 17:01
I didn't watch the game, I had on the NASCAR race and then went to bed.....but a missed call? You are a Red Wings fan...it might be a clean hit....but YOU don't see it that way.

The Red Wings gave it a good go...but they slept in the first few games and you cant do that. Kudo's to both teams for playing some good hockey in this series though. Kudos to the Sharks in particular for getting the monkey off their back. Of course, it is about to be beaten to a pulp by the rough and tumble Chicago Black Hawks...

1st yes I am a Total Wings fan and I would at 1st glance never cry foul but being as I was only able to listen on my xm radio, I only got the commentators snide remark and that pretty much told me enough to cry like a baby.

True as I said before this, They didn't play well enough to get out of this series.
Finally true as well by my accounts the game was played as good as anyone could want to hear or see for a game 5 elimination.Both goalies were fantastic and had many incredible saves to keep both thier teams in it till the end.
Finally Ginny can hold his head high knowing he personally shut down his much agonizing playoff opponet the Wings.
I know Marleau had a lot to do with the win as did Thornton and that kid I can't pronounce.Congrats to the Sharks on thier advancement.I hope they meet Chicago.

dunes
10th May 2010, 04:11
Chicago drops one at home. Series now 3-2 for Chicago. Final 4-1 with an empty netter.

dunes
11th May 2010, 01:37
2-2 2nd period
It appears to be a defensivless game as thus far. Even poor handeling of the puck by the goalies.
Standing ovation for canadian sniper #13,One of the most prolific scorers.who is he.
Mike Camalarri-talk about silent but deadly.

dunes
11th May 2010, 02:19
Whats up with the Bruins. 3rd period 4-0 Philly

dunes
11th May 2010, 02:46
Montreal 4-3 over Pittsburg. Forces game 7 in Pitt.
Wild wide open 3rd period. Lots of chances for pitt Crosby wiffed on 3 one timers in the final 5 minutes.

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2010, 03:12
Swoop...that was a weird one. All I know is the goal Sid got for the first one was a real goal scorer's special, bapping a rebound out of midair like he was hitting a baseball down the line...

Damn Habs are pushing it to 7..and I just about give up on the Bruins..they are making me mental as well.

dunes
11th May 2010, 03:40
Swoop...that was a weird one. All I know is the goal Sid got for the first one was a real goal scorer's special, bapping a rebound out of midair like he was hitting a baseball down the line...

Damn Habs are pushing it to 7..and I just about give up on the Bruins..they are making me mental as well.

It was pretty on the radio as well. The commentator did a nice job describing his ability to find the net and keep his elbows down.
Maybe if he ever quits hockey he could play pro ball.
You know they have medicene for that feeling your getting from Boston.
Still haven't decided on a final yet but I think it'll be a good one with the goalies and stingy defense.

A.F.F.
12th May 2010, 01:10
I hate Montreal....or rather, their fans who are not FROM Montreal.

I thought we were friends :eek:

:)

A.F.F.
12th May 2010, 01:15
I expect Chigago to finish this series off tonite. As I do the same with Boston with Philadelphia.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about Pittsburg but I don't want the Habs to win, not without Saku who gave them so much. So, Penguins is my pick. :up:

harvick#1
12th May 2010, 01:34
the only reason I'm rooting for Montreal.

how cool will it be to see a Chicago/Montreal Stanley Cup Final :D that could be one of the best things to happen for the NHL to have 2 original 6 teams play for the Cup

also I believe alot of us are really tired of hearing how great Pittsburgh and how Crosby is the savior to the NHL

A.F.F.
12th May 2010, 01:44
I thought Ovechkin was the savior of NHL ;)

harvick#1
12th May 2010, 03:19
Ovechkin is gonna be the Lebron James in the NHL, all that talent, but all the selfish play will never get you a championship

A.F.F.
12th May 2010, 04:51
Ovechkin is gonna be the Lebron James in the NHL, all that talent, but all the selfish play will never get you a championship

I know. It's the modern Russian curse. But it will get you media interest and fans. And that's what NHL likes a lot :)

Mark in Oshawa
12th May 2010, 05:05
the only reason I'm rooting for Montreal.

how cool will it be to see a Chicago/Montreal Stanley Cup Final :D that could be one of the best things to happen for the NHL to have 2 original 6 teams play for the Cup

also I believe alot of us are really tired of hearing how great Pittsburgh and how Crosby is the savior to the NHL

That is just it though, he is. Off the ice, he is humble, he makes the team around him better, he plays hard, and has a flair for the dramatic.

AS for a Chicago/Montreal Cup...gag me...I will take Chicago vs Boston. I hate Montreal THAT much.....not so much the City, but the fans of the team that live here in Ontario......

How many Montreal fans does it take to change a life bulb? 24...one to change it, and the other 23 to tell you how good that lightbulb was over all the other light bulbs..

A.F.F.
13th May 2010, 17:45
Somehow Habs has managed to drop first Washington and now Pittsburg... I honestly didn't see that coming :eek:

14th May 2010, 05:58
Zstar Electronic Co.Ltd, Sell fire cards for DS/NDSL/NDSi, also have Wii, DSiLL, NDSi, NDSL, PSP2000, PSP3000, PS2, PS3, PSP go, PSP, Xbox360 accessories, all kinds of phones are available
http://www.zstar.hk
http://www.tigersupermall.com

DonJippo
15th May 2010, 23:14
History been made.. 4-3 to Flyers after game seven! Who thought that would happen after first three games? I didn't!

Mark in Oshawa
17th May 2010, 06:21
Somehow Habs has managed to drop first Washington and now Pittsburg... I honestly didn't see that coming :eek:

Proof positive that the best people in the business can be wrong. Just like how the Flyers found their way back from 3 games in the hole, to be the only team since the 75 Islanders and the 42 Leaf's to come back from an 0-3 deficit.

That said, Flyers manhandled the Habs handily 6-0 today...

In the other conference, the Hawks just keep rolling.....2-1 over the Sharks. It will be the better series, and the likely Cup winner will be the winner of it.

dunes
25th May 2010, 15:56
Somewhere bak ion here I believe someone thought this would be an outcome of good expectations. OH Thats right it was me.

Philly at Chicago. Now this one should be very interesting.Good luck to all and itys been cool. :s mokin:

Mark in Oshawa
25th May 2010, 18:35
Interesting...Hawks in 6.....WHY? More youth, more balance, and a better team most of the year...I think teams that turn it on in the playoffs usually run out of shelf life when meeting a superior opposition....and the team that is better all year would in most cases be that. That said, hard to bet against a team with Chris Pronger on it..but I think Chicago just has a better defense and better quality forwards with fresher legs.

A.F.F.
25th May 2010, 21:29
Interesting...Hawks in 6.....WHY? More youth, more balance, and a better team most of the year...I think teams that turn it on in the playoffs usually run out of shelf life when meeting a superior opposition....and the team that is better all year would in most cases be that. That said, hard to bet against a team with Chris Pronger on it..but I think Chicago just has a better defense and better quality forwards with fresher legs.

Plus better goalie...

However, I've liked Philadelphia's games and I hope they take it to the seventh game :)

Mark in Oshawa
25th May 2010, 21:31
Plus better goalie...

However, I've liked Philadelphia's games and I hope they take it to the seventh game :)

I see this as a wash in goal actually. I would like to think Niemi is more steady, since I never heard of Leighton until this post season, but the point is, this series is going to to one or lost on how the defense can stop the other team's offense. I don't see Philly's forwards as more talented, and I see Chicago's D to be on the whole stronger, but Pronger is the wildcard.....

DexDexter
26th May 2010, 15:00
Plus better goalie...

Leino is on fire as well, the guy is potentially a great player and makes moves that your average Finnish player (even NHL level) doesn't make. I've never seen anyone dominate SM-liiga the way he did, so it's nice to see him finally do well in the NHL.

dunes
26th May 2010, 18:04
I like Chitown in six but because they have a more determined team as far as the tanables.Short handed goals penelty killing and racing in the zone to get the potential icing call, or steal an icing away from Philly.Prongers tough on D but one man can't cover 3 or even 4 lines, and Chicago can score from anywhere with anyone.
Plus they have drive losing out last year to a lowly Det team.
Regaurdless I look for action both ways and IF the refs call a good game [ on both sides of the puck] Then I feel like it'll be old time hockey again.Just a note though games 3-4 are on versus not nbc.no commercials during the playing time in the finals is that still in effect?and what about that glow puck did they do away with that?

A.F.F.
26th May 2010, 21:54
I see this as a wash in goal actually. I would like to think Niemi is more steady, since I never heard of Leighton until this post season, but the point is, this series is going to to one or lost on how the defense can stop the other team's offense. I don't see Philly's forwards as more talented, and I see Chicago's D to be on the whole stronger, but Pronger is the wildcard.....

Blackhawks against San Jose... two games where Niemi reached over 40 saves. I call that last line of defence ;)

A.F.F.
26th May 2010, 21:56
Leino is on fire as well, the guy is potentially a great player and makes moves that your average Finnish player (even NHL level) doesn't make. I've never seen anyone dominate SM-liiga the way he did, so it's nice to see him finally do well in the NHL.

I cound't agree more. Last year it almost looked like he made it but it was until now, he got his chance. With a different jersey. Well, I don't think Leino is too unhappy he is not in Red Wings' roster ;)

Mark in Oshawa
27th May 2010, 19:21
Blackhawks against San Jose... two games where Niemi reached over 40 saves. I call that last line of defence ;)

Hey no doubt, he was a standout but the point is Chicago is a well balanced team. I don't think Niemi is their strongest point in their favour, but he is a good reason why most experts are taking Chicago.

A.F.F.
27th May 2010, 20:48
Hey no doubt, he was a standout but the point is Chicago is a well balanced team. I don't think Niemi is their strongest point in their favour, but he is a good reason why most experts are taking Chicago.

I may have looked this from a patriotic point of view :p :

Mark in Oshawa
27th May 2010, 21:57
I may have looked this from a patriotic point of view :p :
I don't hold that against you. That said, he is a good goalie but he wasn't in the net last year with Chicago. This is his first playoff run, and so far so good, but the finals have a habit of finding weak points in teams. That said, I think Leighton is as much an unknown and then some, and I think the Flyers are an enigmatic team that can be really good..or really bad. Chicago will push them in ways the Habs and the rest didn't...

dunes
28th May 2010, 02:12
I don't hold that against you. That said, he is a good goalie but he wasn't in the net last year with Chicago. This is his first playoff run, and so far so good, but the finals have a habit of finding weak points in teams. That said, I think Leighton is as much an unknown and then some,

It could very well come down to two unknown players making hier mark in the NHL.I could be wrong but I personally don't remember this senerio two rookie goaltenders going for the cup against each other.

I read today that Richards from Philly and Toews for Chicago wered not only teamamtes but linemates in the past olympics for team canada. Furthermore Richrards trails Toews by just 3 points for overall points in a playoffs series and Toews is just 3 poin ts behind a former Blackhawk player for points in a playoffs.
May have been either bobby hull or denis savard.

Mark in Oshawa
28th May 2010, 07:49
It could very well come down to two unknown players making hier mark in the NHL.I could be wrong but I personally don't remember this senerio two rookie goaltenders going for the cup against each other.

I read today that Richards from Philly and Toews for Chicago wered not only teamamtes but linemates in the past olympics for team canada. Furthermore Richrards trails Toews by just 3 points for overall points in a playoffs series and Toews is just 3 poin ts behind a former Blackhawk player for points in a playoffs.
May have been either bobby hull or denis savard.

Two rookie goalies is unusual. One has done it before...mainly Ken Dryden, but that was no ordinary team....and he wasn't just any rookie. Later editions of rookies making a mark have done some neat stuff, but you are right. It is the best story not really being made a lot of.

AS for Toews and Richards, they along with Crosby I believe were on the World Junior teams that were on a big run there for a while winning the world juniors.

Richards hasn't made an Olympic team however....

As for Toews close in points for the playoffs, I suspect Savard since he played a lot of places besides Chicago and he didn't have a lot of playoff runs deep when he was there.

dunes
31st May 2010, 02:10
So much for the rookies. Lieghton getting chased on 20 shots allowing 5 goals. I couldn't find any defense to speak of either. I guess the best part was the one goal lead to win the game.
The reportsa are Lieghton will start game 2 and the real Flywers and Blackhawks will be back.
I swear i don't believe I've every seen a blowout from both teams for an opening game to the cup finals.
Monday at 8pm est on NBC; Enjoy the holiday weekend folks.

dunes
1st June 2010, 02:35
I acually get to watch a game on a real TV.
Stranded in Northren NJ for the holidays and a motel with cable.Brought my flat screen up from the truck filled the cooler with beers and watched the car raceS yesterday and Hockey tonight. A much better game thus far half way through the 2nd period and game.

dunes
1st June 2010, 03:07
Its on now.
exfleyer scores over catching glove of lieghton for chicago 23 seconds after the 1st goal BY hossa.1:45 TO GO 2ND PERIOD.

dunes
1st June 2010, 04:11
2-1 chjcago
chicago goes up 2-0 in the best of 7 now two games in philly

Mark in Oshawa
1st June 2010, 13:42
Game 2 was a much better played game. Both goalies did well, and Niemi really stepped up his game. Game 1 must have been nerves....

Still doesn't change the reality that the Hawks are for real......I picked them in 6....they may have a quicker end in mind...

dunes
3rd June 2010, 23:53
I think 6 is a solid number for the hawks. :Like last night and thier previous series they wont just bow down nor go away quietly.They just kept finding ways to advance.

Mark in Oshawa
4th June 2010, 00:19
I think 6 is a solid number for the hawks. :Like last night and thier previous series they wont just bow down nor go away quietly.They just kept finding ways to advance.

Last night, it seemed like they ran out of gas. They need to find away to step it up for game 4 or they will be giving Philly WAY too much life....

dunes
5th June 2010, 03:02
4:00 minutes left in the second philly up 3-1. It sounds like chicago,s get things going and then trips themselves up with a giveaway or a penelty. The one thing they just can't give Philly-a powerplay.

Mark in Oshawa
5th June 2010, 08:26
We got a series now....yikes...

A.F.F.
5th June 2010, 17:44
Yep... sure looks like it. :)

I'm confused since for me it's basicly the same which team wins. For Kimmo Timonen this probably is the last chance of winning the Cup. And Ville Leino has done some good job. So... go Philly... I guess ;)

Mark in Oshawa
5th June 2010, 18:33
AFF....The Flyers are a ruthless organization who once had Their GM at the time, Bobby Clarke state of Roger Neilson when they fired him: "he was a great coach until he got cancer and all, but we didn't need all the drama".

When you have a guy like Ed Snider signing off on such callous indifference to people as this...you can never cheer for them, no matter how nice some of the players are or some of the fans might be...

A.F.F.
5th June 2010, 19:02
AFF....The Flyers are a ruthless organization who once had Their GM at the time, Bobby Clarke state of Roger Neilson when they fired him: "he was a great coach until he got cancer and all, but we didn't need all the drama".

When you have a guy like Ed Snider signing off on such callous indifference to people as this...you can never cheer for them, no matter how nice some of the players are or some of the fans might be...

Go Hawks :hot:

dunes
6th June 2010, 04:55
Back ion the windy city tommorow. I'm feeling another blowout by Chicago.

dunes
7th June 2010, 02:10
3-0 with 2 at the end of the 1st.

dunes
9th June 2010, 02:20
Is Chicago going to break the streak or better yet which letonien will show up.

DexDexter
9th June 2010, 10:52
I think Philly will bounce back with Leino doing magic tricks once again...That pass in the last game was just awesome. It's nice to have a Stanley Cup where Finnish players are playing a key role on both sides...Otherwise it would be plain boring since a club from a town of Chigago or Philadelphia really doesn't do anything for me.

dunes
9th June 2010, 15:50
I think Philly will bounce back with Leino doing magic tricks once again...That pass in the last game was just awesome. It's nice to have a Stanley Cup where Finnish players are playing a key role on both sides...Otherwise it would be plain boring since a club from a town of Chigago or Philadelphia really doesn't do anything for me.

Where I agree its nice to have Finnish players in OUR NHL, Its only because you probally haven't experienced true NHL hockey until you,ve been to [or brought up with] the game here in North America.By the way its ChiCago not Chigago

Mark in Oshawa
9th June 2010, 16:06

Heck, there are Finns on almost every team in the NHL now. Just more Canadians THAN Finns...lol

That is why I dont really get too excited about what team wins if it isn't my team. Lots of Canadians in the league, even with the influx of European players. So I just cheer for who I feel like cheering for every year...

dunes
10th June 2010, 03:11
Two periods down , The refs got thier gimmie call out of the way and Chicago leads 3-2.
Now its time for some real Hockey.This is good stuff.A pretty even game if one doesn't count shots on goal;I think. I know about the multible overtimes in Phillys past as well as the come from behind series with Boston.Still I think it will be a nail biting third period.

As for Marks Canuckadainian remark, We Americans will except that,And thanks for introducing us to your game.
Go Chicago.

dunes
10th June 2010, 03:58
OT in Philly, Like I didn't see that one comin.

ItsOK its good hockey

slorydn1
10th June 2010, 04:24
Black Hawks Got It done

race aficionado
10th June 2010, 04:54
49 year drought???

I happen to see the game with a friend that was 11 years old when his favorite team won 49 years ago.

He is a happy camper right now.

It was fun watching the game and it's cool how most of the Philly fans stayed for the trophy presentations and Chicago's celebration.

Let's watch some soccer now . . . . can't wait.
:s mokin:

A.F.F.
10th June 2010, 07:53
Congrats Chicago !!!!! :)

AndyRAC
10th June 2010, 08:20
Well done Blackhawks....

Easy Drifter
10th June 2010, 09:45
And hardly anyone realized the puck had gone in the net at first.

DonJippo
10th June 2010, 15:20
Well done Blackhawks :hot:

Mark in Oshawa
10th June 2010, 20:51
It is a good day. The Cup was handed out to a worthy team, and the most deserving of the two. Hawks fans have been punished enough over the years.

It was a good game, at least the parts I was able to see. I didn't get to watch til the 3rd. I was a little miffed when Hartnell got that weird one to tie it up, but that 4 minutes of overtime was NHL hockey at its best. No whistles, no stupidity, just both sides going flat out to end it...and Patrick Kane did.

As for The Philly fans, they stuck around to see the Cup, but they did boo their faces off. Unlike the classy types in Montreal in the old Forum in 89 when the Flames won, and they stood and gave a really earnest amount of applause.

The Cup is a great tradition, and it really is a tribute to hockey that is is cherished so, and the players always shake hands and seem to genuniely congratulate each other. It would be nice if the Philly Fans could have taken out the boos...but hey, it is Philly. This is the town that boos safe landings at the airport....

Garry Walker
10th June 2010, 21:21
What an awful series...Because I couldnt watch even one game, just no time.

Great for Blackhakws, they deserved it fully. Best team clearly.

Funny article from espn. Stupid female player saying she would take on Chris Pronger, yeah right :rolleyes:

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/5264895

Mark in Oshawa
10th June 2010, 21:49
What an awful series...Because I couldnt watch even one game, just no time.

Great for Blackhakws, they deserved it fully. Best team clearly.

Funny article from espn. Stupid female player saying she would take on Chris Pronger, yeah right :rolleyes:

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/5264895

Read it a gain Garry, she said she would take on the sports editor who was ripping women's hockey.

Angela Ruggiero is a pretty good player period, but she is realistic. Women's hockey is not men's...

No..I think Dustin Byfuglien showed Mr. Pronger's weaknesses rather nicely in Chicago in game 5. He tossed him around like a rag doll, scored two and got two more helpers.

I think the MVP being Jonathon Toews was not really telling the story. The story of the playoffs for Chicago was either Byfuglien or Duncan Keith's outstanding play...

Garry Walker
10th June 2010, 21:52
Read it a gain Garry, she said she would take on the sports editor who was ripping women's hockey.

Angela Ruggiero is a pretty good player period, but she is realistic. Women's hockey is not men's...

She said shed take on Pronger.

"Some people are still ignorant," Ruggiero said. "Our sport doesn't get a lot of exposure, so you have to see us play in the world championships or the Olympics to see what the highest caliber of women's hockey is.

"Obviously, it's offensive. It's disappointing more than anything. I grew up playing with boys, trained with NHL players. I would go head-to-head with Pronger any day I could."

Mark in Oshawa
10th June 2010, 21:58
She said shed take on Pronger.
[/B]

Aaah..but she just said she would go up against him. I didn't read that as if she would take him on and win. Angela aint that stupid...she weighs maybe 160 to 180 lbs I bet at the VERY most....and Pronger...well he is a freaking monster....

harvick#1
11th June 2010, 03:53
it was a very long time coming, and a long time celebrating last night, I still couldn't believe the Hawks won, while I am a Ave's fan first, Chicago is always second in my books, and was very happy and nearly had a heart attack when Kane put the puck in the net.

I was really the only one at the party to notice the puck go in, and jumped out of my seat nearly breaking the garage light while everyone thought I was on crack or something, I was too busy screaming "we just won the cup" and everyone gave me a blank stare, until they looked back at the tv and saw the Hawks celebrating :laugh:

Philly fans there were pretty classless, the mandatory booing is in order when Buttman is out there, but show some respect, the Philly players were gracious in defeat, and its not everyday you get to witness the Stanley cup in person at the stadium.

what an intense NHL playoff season it was and the right team won!!!!! time to party again!!!!

dunes
13th June 2010, 19:40
On to the british football league.
Congrats to Chicago and Kane for his litle miffed shot that only he knew went in. I think The MVP might have gone to a more deserving player for Chicago, But what do I know. I'm just a fan.
Overall a well played series by both and I really can't even complain about the officiating. The Philly fans, I wouldn't have expected anything other than that from them.
So untill next year then.............................................. .........

A.F.F.
7th August 2010, 17:23
Wuhuu !!! The annual wait for Teemu's decision is over and he'll make a one year deal next monday :up:

Ducks will be my numero uno this season :hot:

Mark in Oshawa
8th August 2010, 16:44
Wuhuu !!! The annual wait for Teemu's decision is over and he'll make a one year deal next monday :up:

Ducks will be my numero uno this season :hot:

He is back, and apparently is bugging his buddy Kariya to come back for another kick at the cat...

Teemu will be in the Hockey Hall of Fame eventually...we just have to get him to stay retired long enough!!!!

A.F.F.
8th August 2010, 18:12
Selänne-Koivu-Kariya line could work pretty well, especially as second powerplay line :up:

Where do you think Antti Niemi will end up as Blackhawks are long gone now Mark ??

DexDexter
9th August 2010, 14:37
Selänne-Koivu-Kariya line could work pretty well, especially as second powerplay line :up:

Where do you think Antti Niemi will end up as Blackhawks are long gone now Mark ??

Come on, the guys are too old and Saku played really badly in the Olympics next to Teemu.

Mark in Oshawa
9th August 2010, 18:53

I have no idea, but there are enough teams needing a decent goalie. The thing is though, many don't believe Niemi is a top flight goaltender, but he wants to make the money. The whole culture of what goalies are worth to teams is changing. With the cap, some teams are thinking a great team with an ok goalie ( such as the Hawks ) is a winning formula. Detroit proved that over the years when Osgood won a cup for them. A good, but not great goalie. Great goalies demand max money and handcuff the GM in filling out the rest of the roster with the cap.

Niemi has to lower his expectations ( unfairly in my opinion...he has a Stanley Cup ring, he cannot be a bad goalie ) and find a team that needs an upgrade.

Right now, I haven't heard any sure bets for him...

Mark in Oshawa
9th August 2010, 18:54
Come on, the guys are too old and Saku played really badly in the Olympics next to Teemu.

They would be a 3rd line now.....I wouldn't put that many 35 plus guys on one line....I would spread them out..and use them sparingly....

A.F.F.
9th August 2010, 20:58

Olympics are different game than NHL games. I'm not sure if you followed last season how Teemu and Saku played, especially near playoffs ?? Surely they won't be Ducks' first fist but they can give an excellent alternative to powerplay.

DexDexter
10th August 2010, 08:47
Olympics are different game than NHL games. I'm not sure if you followed last season how Teemu and Saku played, especially near playoffs ?? Surely they won't be Ducks' first fist but they can give an excellent alternative to powerplay.

Ok, but to me they need a young, energetic skater next to them.

They would be a 3rd line now.....I wouldn't put that many 35 plus guys on one line....I would spread them out..and use them sparingly....

Exactly

dunes
15th August 2010, 06:21
Thank you Nick Lidstrom for giving the Wings one more year of yourself.
Congrats to Stevie Yzerman for taking the GM job in Tampa Bay[farm club team out of Fraser,Mi.],and Thanks and congats for little Mikey Madono coming home at last for what could [and should] be his last year as a pro player.I always wanted him and Stevie to play together for one season.I guess I'll have to settle for against each other in the olympics a few years back.

schmenke
4th October 2010, 16:27
Another season is quickly upon us!

So how do you rate this season’s teams, players?

As always, I have the utmost respect and confidence in the Habs :D . The key to their success will be staying healthy, especially their defensemen. Their powerplay takes a nose dive every time Markov gets injured. Gill and Spacek are key on the blue line as well.
The loss of Halak pretty much confirms Price as their number one goalie. Can’t see Auld getting much ice time.

New Jersey looks promising what with the signing of Kovalchuk. It remains to be seen if his huge salary will result in goals. Their new coach will be under pressure to make the best of it. As with Carey, I’ll be interested to see just how much ice time Brodeur gets (this surely is his last season!).

In the West, look for the Sedin bothers to impress for the Knuckleheads. Luango will have to be solid, especially for what he’s being paid. The team will suffer a bit early in the season without Salo, but still, look for them to be on top of the Western conference by season’s end.

The Ducks: Although they picked up a solid defenseman, Mara, from the Habs, it certainly won’t compensate for the loss of Niedermayer. Yes, Selanne is back, for now, but I still don’t see this team topping the western standings.

Sleeper of the season: Colorado Avalanche, although Mueller could be used in the lineup sooner than later.

Ahh… don’t you just love armchair management :D

janneppi
5th October 2010, 12:24
I'm going to see the friday game in Helsinki, I think it's Minnesota and...another NHL teal... don't remeber what. :D

schmenke
5th October 2010, 14:13
I'm going to see the friday game in Helsinki, I think it's Minnesota and...another NHL teal... don't remeber what. :D

Carolina. Sorry :p :

Easy Drifter
6th October 2010, 16:48
News Flash:------ Toronto Maple Leafs are in a first place tie.

The fact the season hasn't started may explain that.
They will be lucky to make the playoffs yet again.

Even the Toronto papers did not have them winning the Stanley Cup in Sept. as they usually do.

edv
6th October 2010, 17:32
It occurs to me that the Leafs are now the only Original Six team not to have won the Cup since League Expansion.

A.F.F.
6th October 2010, 17:32
The Ducks: Although they picked up a solid defenseman, Mara, from the Habs, it certainly won’t compensate for the loss of Niedermayer. Yes, Selanne is back, for now, but I still don’t see this team topping the western standings.

That's your problem my friend. You don't see !!! :D

Ducks will be my first pick for any game ! Ducks is the new Habs :p

edv
6th October 2010, 18:02
Well, schmenke, I guess it's always easy for a Habs fan to ignore the Caps and the Penguins, even if Stahl is out for a few months. Still not quite as rosy-tinted-glasses-wearing as the Leafs fans.

I agree the Canucks have a shot again in the West, but the Sharks will surely be the team to beat IMO.

Mark in Oshawa
6th October 2010, 20:58
It occurs to me that the Leafs are now the only Original Six team not to have won the Cup since League Expansion.

Do HAVE to bring that up? Heck...is it not bad enough we had to suffer through 23 years of Ballard???

The Leafs just MIGHT make the playoffs. Unlike many other locals in the area, I am smart enough to realize that this team is rebuilding...but any time you have Giggy in net, you have a shot of winning a few games.

My final four, and I think I said this to Swoop in a private message will likely be Washington and Pittsburgh in the east, and Chicago and Vancouver still in the West.

Sorry Shark fans, I have given up picking your team, Calgary fans sound like Leaf fans did when they thought THEY had a shot and didn't, and Hab and Senator fans? OH good lord, get over it.....you are NOT that good either....

Montreal I saw as Team Smurf, save Hal Gill last year and I still see them as that. Small fast players that lose their way in the heavy going; and I fail to see how they got better when the guy who took them to the final 4 is in St. Louis. Ya dumped the WRONG goalie!

A.F.F.
6th October 2010, 21:42
Sharks surely will be an interesting one to follow. The level of offence we all know and now they are relying on Niittymäki and Niemi as goalies.

What do you think about Oilers and the revolution of rookies ??

Mark in Oshawa
7th October 2010, 07:39
Sharks surely will be an interesting one to follow. The level of offence we all know and now they are relying on Niittymäki and Niemi as goalies.

What do you think about Oilers and the revolution of rookies ??

Nittymaki and Niemi could be great goalies, or wilt under the pressure. There is nothing in Nittymaki's past that says he is in the first rank of goalies but in the NHL, being just good can work if the team up front can do the job.

As for the Oilers, I think they are 2 or 3 years away providing they let the kids get better, and make some prudent trades of players who are not helping but are hurting them. Getting something for Sheldon Souray is priority one. Getting rid of Pisani and a few other under achieving players and getting something of value back would help.

That said, they have an interesting group of young players there now...and then added Taylor Hall....

A.F.F.
7th October 2010, 07:59
Tonight it starts and Wild is playing against Hurricanes near me.... and I'm not there :mark:

schmenke
7th October 2010, 14:30
...Montreal I saw as Team Smurf, save Hal Gill last year and I still see them as that. Small fast players that lose their way in the heavy going; and I fail to see how they got better when the guy who took them to the final 4 is in St. Louis. Ya dumped the WRONG goalie!

Yep, totally agree. The team now effectively is a one-goalie team. At least they also dumped that useless Latendresse :s .
The Blues definitely got the better end of that deal. Along with Conklin, the team has a solid goalie lineup. Speaking of Blues, Brad Boyes had a miserable season last year. I always thought he was one of the league's underrated centres. In fact, with others like Backes and McDonald, they have quite a bit of depth to their team. Look for the Blues to be a surprise sleeper this season.

schmenke
7th October 2010, 14:32
... Calgary fans sound like Leaf fans did when they thought THEY had a shot and didn't...

The Flames are an embarassement. The Sutters have to go. Re-signing Jokkinen and Tanguay (the Calgary Herald called this the C-quel :D ) is a sign that management doesn't have a clue what they're doing. They need to hire some fresh young energetic players who have drive an motivation. Only a handfull of the current players are under the age of 30. Dinosaurs like Iginla , Conroy, Langkow, etc have to go. Heck even newly acquired Brendan Morrison is 35!
Another embarassement is Jay Boumeester who was signed a year ago for (I believe) a two year contract as an offensive defenseman, particularily to provide more offense on the PP. He scored 3 goals last year compared to his ~30 the previous season with Florida :mark: . He is the third highest paid Flames this season at $6.6M!!! Heck Iginla is paid $7M. Compare that to the $1.4M that Bourque is being paid and you know something is wrong with management. Bourque (and Kipper) kept that team from desending into the cellar last year.
The team will struggle to maintain a .500 record this season and will not make the playoffs.

<schmenke rant over :D >

A.F.F.
7th October 2010, 21:46
Watching Wild vs. Hurricanes live on tv......

I just read an interview from OJ. Seems that this season is do-or-die for Jokinen even he himself said he has two years to show he is a player...

I don't know.. I never liked the guy but it seems he has learned to be humble. It's be interesting to see if Iginla-Tangue-Jokinen line works... I truly hope it will.

Mark in Oshawa
8th October 2010, 15:49
Watching Wild vs. Hurricanes live on tv......

I just read an interview from OJ. Seems that this season is do-or-die for Jokinen even he himself said he has two years to show he is a player...

I don't know.. I never liked the guy but it seems he has learned to be humble. It's be interesting to see if Iginla-Tangue-Jokinen line works... I truly hope it will.

Iginla is one of the best players in the league, but for whatever reason his linemates usually don't succeed around him the way you would expect. Not sure why this is, since Jarome is the consummate team guy.

Jokinen just seems to be a guy who hasn't learned how to fit in. I don't know why this is, he has the talent....

As for Tanguay, I just think he was overrated from the word go.

Schmenke, my other team to cheer for in the NHL has always been the Flames, so it pains me to see them doing a Leaf thing and keeping guys that are overrated, or worse yet; resigning them.

I think the Flames have to clean house in management and trade for younger players some of the old dead wood for sure. That said, I think you keep Iginla. He has proven over and over again he isn't the problem there, and he is the face of the franchise to the community. The guy can lead but for whatever reason, they keep sticking him with head cases and do nothings for teammates. Boumeester is a complete enigma, he should have been the player he was in Florida and more and yet he isn't. Getting all those Leafs probably doesn't help, although I do think Ian White was a great pickup as he was underrated by many....

As for your sleeper team in the West being the Blues, hear hear...i think you might be right...especially if Halak starts settling that back end down by playing steady and reliable...

schmenke
8th October 2010, 16:17
Bloody heck, after last night, I just may swap my tri-couleurs for the blue and orange of the second Alberta team! :eek: (...nah ;) ).
Seriously the Oilers looked sharp. A pretty goal from Eberle for his first and Khabubilin put up his usual wall. Won't be long before Taylor Hall nets his first career too.
As for the Flames... well, read my previous post :s

As for the Habs... I hope Price has some body armor in his closet; he's gonna need it if he wants to walk the streets of Montreal :mark:

A.F.F.
8th October 2010, 19:29
Oilers were all over the ice last night !!! Flames looked too big, too slow, too pathetic. :eek:

janneppi
9th October 2010, 13:30
Tonight it starts and Wild is playing against Hurricanes near me.... and I'm not there :mark:
Don't worry, you didn't miss too much. First period was pretty good, but especially third period wasn't that good play. And I hated the crowds.

But thing that really get's me is the price of the tickets, 100Eur for normal ticket, if I hadn't got the ticket for free, I'd be miffed at how expensive it is.

A.F.F.
9th October 2010, 13:45
How about those Ducks, eh !!!

:mark:

I hear you Janneppi. The ticket prizes were the reason I wasn't there :down:

AndyRAC
9th October 2010, 15:58
Detroit with a nice win v the Ducks, and a goal for Mike Modano.....
Pavel Datsuyk in a fight, twice....?????? What's going on???

dunes
11th October 2010, 18:51
Detroit with a nice win v the Ducks, and a goal for Mike Modano.....
Pavel Datsuyk in a fight, twice....?????? What's going on???

Welcome Home Mikey:
Get ready for the new look WINGS.
If only a steady connection in net. As good as they are they seem wishy washy on some days.

Mixa
11th October 2010, 19:28
Yeah....what still comes to that Wings game, it was still nice to see Modano at the speed. In the end he may not have so many years left to play. Then again the Datsuyk fight.. the one with Perry was kinda normal in my guess. We saw how Perry can be at the olympics and it really wasn´t the first time for him.

Ducks by the way down at the moment for my favourite team,the Blues :P . Very happy for that,even when somehow once again I think that a new goalie can´t save our team from falling a bit when the season progresses but a good start for the season is important and I really hope to see the Blues to get into playoffs. Lets go Blues!

schmenke
15th October 2010, 14:41
Good job Minnesota over the Oilers last night. Two for Koivu and one for Miettinen :) .

The Flames are still waiting for the defense to show up for a game :s

edv
15th October 2010, 16:03
Leafs lead the League at 3-0!
In other news, pigs were seen flying and Satan was seen buying a parka....

Mark in Oshawa
17th October 2010, 03:43

now 4-0 and I saw some red dude with a rather sulphuric smell trying on skates down at the Sport Chek...

That all said, I am going to just wait because I don't know if I can watch all this bacon flying around.....without getting hungry...

Clarke McArthur now leads the league in goals as of Saturday afternoon..

McArthur!???? WTF???

A.F.F.
17th October 2010, 08:58
It's really fun to read differrent season previews, I've read three of them and in all of them they predicted Leafs via dolorosa from the very start of the season :D

Now what ?? They lead the whole frigging league ...

Mr. Mister
17th October 2010, 18:53
Rangers off to a bad start...eurgh.

Definitely surprised by Toronto. Another surprise has been Tim Thomas. I figured 2008-2009 was a career year and he'd never be at his peak, but now it looks like he's going to take the number one spot back from the highly-hyped Tuukka Rask. Nothing against Rask, he has a lot of talent, but his performance against the Flyers was less than inspiring and he's getting shown up by the guy they were trying to trade. Bruins have some spark this year, though. Even Ryder's playing well and Shawn Thornton's on pace to score 27 this year ;)

Still early in the season, and I imagine a lot of the standings to shake up (thanks, Captain Obvious), but it's certainly been interesting. I'm so glad hockey season's back. :)

AndyRAC
18th October 2010, 20:29

Oh, I thought you meant Miroslav Satan....... ;)

schmenke
20th October 2010, 14:17
Battle of the Finns last night in Nashville, but Kiprusoff came out on top. Good goal by Bourque :up: .

Rough night for Luango in Minnesota. What's up with Rypien? :s

Mixa
20th October 2010, 21:58
Few interesting games today when we look the standings.. I also wonder will the Canucks finally find something to show against Chicago and will Buffalo also wake up a bit against Atlanta.

What comes to Rypien,specially as the NHL rules were tightened for this season for things against the fans, I expect him to get some games off for sure and some bonus too. The fans isn´t always the nicest ones but still you really should keep it calm.

Also as I predicted with my favs,the Blues.. them has already started to fall back a bit but still plays some tight games. Halak have been surprisingly good so far and has been saving even some points but in my mind the biggest problem is still the defense as even at earlier years. Sometimes its amazing how the opponent can roll the puck just infront of the goalie and use a dozen of rebounds to score.

A.F.F.
21st October 2010, 21:57
One more to Bobby Hull Teemu :hot:

schmenke
22nd October 2010, 15:16
Looks like Brodeur remembered to take his Geritol last night. He looked impressive agains the Hab(less).

Mixa
22nd October 2010, 20:57
Looks like Brodeur remembered to take his Geritol last night. He looked impressive agains the Hab(less).

yup he did.. I don´t know what to think about the Devils really. Them has been far from their level at the first games and somehow everything looks so messed up. Even on the win against Habs I was far from impressed. Pretty much thanks to Brodeur the game was theirs.

Rypien got 6 games then and a fine for Canucks. Is it enough or should there been more??

---------------------------------

Blues have the Blackhawks today,hopefully them will win that game. Last time their lost and a revenge against an enemy would be nice.

Mr. Mister
22nd October 2010, 22:44
Bruins have to be so glad they couldn't unload Tim Thomas this off-season. 4-0-0 with a .978 save percentage and .750 GAA. I'd love for that to continue; nothing against Rask, but Thomas is such a hard-working, class act who barely even made the NHL. It's so nice to see him be successful and redeem himself after so many were calling him a waste of salary cap space when they had Rask.

tstran17_88
23rd October 2010, 02:17
Looks like Brodeur remembered to take his Geritol last night. He looked impressive agains the Hab(less).They still make Geritol? ...I was thinking Martin was pounding 5-Hour Energy's before the games.

schmenke
25th October 2010, 16:59
Another solid win for the Flames last night.

Bourque, Kipper :up:

Jokinen :down:

Easy Drifter
25th October 2010, 17:26
Leafs back to normal.
And my Barrie Colts (OHL) are terrible this year after being a top team last year.
Of course that is normal in the OHL as so many players graduated.

Mixa
25th October 2010, 18:46
Yeah strong starters what weren´t so expected are starting to slip off already a bit. Still its nice to see that some of them actually looks to be in quite a strong form.

What comes to game,Calgary had them beaten up SJ. I wasn´t watching the game but it looks like the Sharks are having serious issues. Somehow specially scoring seems to be hard. Also Nitty has started okey but Niemi seems to be having issues. One year wonder?

Also New Jersey seems to be at the crisis. Big losses and Brodeur really can´t stop all those pucks. Defense have huge issues and some players at the attack really has to step up now.

A.F.F.
25th October 2010, 22:43
I can't believe that I would ever say this but I feel sorru for OJ !! The guy has been bashed so bad that I can't remember any player treated like that. So much happening behind the curtains we don't know but still, he ought to de better, that I agree :mark:

Another surprising thing. Antti Niemi is playing like I expected kari Lehtonen to play and vice versa :eek:

As for Finnish goaliws, I think Pekka Rinne is the best and most consistent at the moment. Better than Kipper.

And look at Teemu !!! He is in flames for an old guy ;) So glad he didin't retire, again :D

A.F.F.
25th October 2010, 22:46
but Niemi seems to be having issues. One year wonder?

Actually, if that's the case, he isn't even a one year wonder but merely a one period wonder. He managed to shine when the team struggled and as for the playoffs, he wasn't ashtonishing at all.

But, he was way better than he is now so he should better things up!

DexDexter
26th October 2010, 07:31
I can't believe that I would ever say this but I feel sorru for OJ !! The guy has been bashed so bad that I can't remember any player treated like that. So much happening behind the curtains we don't know but still, he ought to de better, that I agree :mark:

Another surprising thing. Antti Niemi is playing like I expected kari Lehtonen to play and vice versa :eek:

As for Finnish goaliws, I think Pekka Rinne is the best and most consistent at the moment. Better than Kipper.

And look at Teemu !!! He is in flames for an old guy ;) So glad he didin't retire, again :D

I really don't understand how you don't rate Lehtonen. The guy is probably the most talented Finnish goalie ever, he's just had too many injuries and setbacks. If he is in shape, he's better than Kipper etc.

A.F.F.
26th October 2010, 08:39
I really don't understand how you don't rate Lehtonen. The guy is probably the most talented Finnish goalie ever, he's just had too many injuries and setbacks. If he is in shape, he's better than Kipper etc.

Agreed with his talent. Agreed with the fact he has had injuries. But better than Kipper? Well, now it seems but I can't say Lehtonen is too consistent either.

And why has he had so many injuries. People talk awfully lot but there's no smoke without fire. People say he has been lazy practising and therefore prone to injuries.

Maybe he has learnt his lessons because Starts gave him an opportunity which is seemingly paying off :up:

But I base my statement to what we have seen of him so far and that's not what people, me including, was expecting of him when he entered Atlanta.

raikk
29th October 2010, 04:12
damn that Tim Thomas! , leafs need to rebound against Rags Saturday

Mixa
30th October 2010, 21:50
Will New Jersey start to woke up now? Them have had an awful start. I somehow hope that them will start to make some results. Its kinda sad to see them were them are but by the standings them really isn´t the only one. So many good teams,quite bottom at the standings while some surprises are then at pretty high. The season is still long.

Then again I´m really happy how the Blues are doing. Halak has been excellent so far and has saved some points for us. Today Blues are facing the Trashers. Hopefully them will win again.

N. Jones
1st November 2010, 21:57
The Devils started slow last year and that team made the playoffs, so I don't think there is a reason to worry.

Halak is playing as I hoped he would. The playoffs usually amplify a player and then that player usually does not reach that level during the regular season.

Mixa
2nd November 2010, 11:39
The Devils started slow last year and that team made the playoffs, so I don't think there is a reason to worry.

Halak is playing as I hoped he would. The playoffs usually amplify a player and then that player usually does not reach that level during the regular season.

Yes,Devils started slowly last year but kinda the big factor last year was also Brodeur. Last year Devils were outshot at most of the games but still were able to score and win games.

This year, Devils has mostly outshot its opponent but lost most of the games. Still something is wrong big time with the Devils. Them looks so messed up at the ice and as has been said,them defense has looked awful. Was it then the huge list of injuries or bad coaching all doesn´t look right.

Still yes,when we look their calendar, it also haven´t been the easiest so far and now them are coming to an end of the Western Conference trip where before the season only LA Kings were supposed to be easier opponent and even that team has been flying and actually leads the Western Conference. Also Western Conference at last years has always been kept as tougher than Eastern Conference. I still expect them to turn these losses into wins at some point. Them first real change will become vs the Rangers after Chicago.

What comes to Halak.. as a Blues fan has been surprising. At last years its been awful to see how Blues has been hiring good goalies what has played great season a year before but then actually them haven´t been that great. Halak has been quite superb and has saved some games for the Blues. Big reason why them are 4th at the Western Conference only having played 9 games with only one loss at regular time. Hopefully this 5 day break them are having don´t hurt them as at November,due to this them are having games at the following days.

N. Jones
8th November 2010, 01:11
I really think that NJ can turn it around like they did last year, although I must admit Kovy is not playing at a very high level.

Is the Devils problem John MacLean?

dunes
8th November 2010, 17:14
The best show in hockey so far this year and I missed it. Crosby vs TB's Stamkos.Apparently I'm high on Stamkos not only for tiing Crosby but because ex-Red Wing Steve Yzerman is his GM.
Of course the rating on Samkos is premature comparred to Crosby's stats; however they did split the scoring title last year,and are 1-2 this year thus far.
In other news FINALLY Cammi Granato gets honored in Toronto along with Dino Ciccerilli,Detroit's GM Jimmy Develanno, also honored were Canada's Angela James and Calgary's late Founder Daryl "doc" Seaman.
Congrats

Mixa
8th November 2010, 20:02
As a Blues fan I´m quite amazed to see that we are leading the NHL at the moment. Just 12 games,the best start for Blues at the franchise history and after some bad years behind it sounds very nice indeed :D . I still expect that the Blues will lose some ground when the season goes on but playoff spot should be very possible. Also goaltending has been great. Halak of course has been the spotlight everywhere but also Conklin seems to be doing fine.

What comes to New Jersey,is John really the case.. hmm,I don´t know. Them seems to outshoot their opponent at almost every game and has awesome places to score but the team just cannot do so. Also them defense has been just bad. A lot of mistakes at the own zone and 2vs1´s,3vs1´s and as in modern hockey powerplays is a pick thing,Devils has just been bad on it. Next up them has another underplaying team, the Sabres and then Oilers. Few games them really should win!

What comes to Tampa Bay. Happy to see them were them are. Them are playing some nice hockey and I kinda like to watch it. Stamkos as mentioned has been on fire but he still needs some others also to pick up. As in previous few years,like last year Tampa started well but started to drop a bit after the key players got a bit tired. It might hurt them,even this year.

A.F.F.
11th November 2010, 10:04
Who was it who said that Ducks' grand old men (Teemu & Saku) are no use for the team ???

DexDexter
11th November 2010, 11:24
Who was it who said that Ducks' grand old men (Teemu & Saku) are no use for the team ???

I think I said something about that in this thread a bit earlier and I was sooooo wrong :colour:

A.F.F.
11th November 2010, 18:48
I think I said something about that in this thread a bit earlier and I was sooooo wrong :colour:

:up: :)

dunes
17th November 2010, 04:50
Det at St,L, wednesday night. Good stuff to watch.

schmenke
17th November 2010, 14:38
Habs over the Flyers last night. Shutout for Price :up:

Mixa
17th November 2010, 14:55
Blues has now started to fall and for last 4 games has earned a 1 single point for shootout loss against NSH. I really afraid that this is it once more.. a good season start and then dropping below the playoffs line before them wokes up when there is 10 games to go to fight for the last playoff spot again. Its been kinda the way of Blues many years already.

Mark in Oshawa
17th November 2010, 19:23
Mixa, come back and talk to me when they go and lose 8 or 9 in a stretch like the Leafs do.

I think injuries aside, the Blues likely are a playoff team. It just is tough. 16 teams out of 30 make it to the playoffs....

schmenke
17th November 2010, 19:35
Mixa, come back and talk to me when they go and lose 8 or 9 in a stretch like the Leafs do. ....

Whatayer going on about Mark? The Leafs won one last night :D

Mark in Oshawa
17th November 2010, 20:11
A wild one too Schmenke. I watched the first period and it was 3-0 and they looked awful. Schenn gets one with 30 seconds left in the first, and I think, ok....that doesn't mean much. I go out for a late dinner with my wife, look at the Blackberry at the end of the second and it is 5-4 for TO? They baffle me...because they show signs at times of being a really good team...and then they play like goofs in other periods. I gave up trying to figure out this team. Lucky for me, I have my OHL fix every week and the Gen's are 11-5-2 and 3rd in the Eastern Conference of the OHL.....and looking pretty decent for a Memorial Cup run. If THEY sucked, it would be one miserable winter....

dunes
17th November 2010, 22:31
http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/11/ipt/1290030653.jpg (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ap52_I_67UlrJhWlZEMmqGV7vLYF?slug=nc-lidstrom111710)
Getty Images
Detroit's Nicklas Lidstrom is 40 years old – and he's still the best defenseman in the NHL.

N. Jones
17th November 2010, 23:49
I can agree with that, although as a Hawks fan anytime the Wings lose I am happy. :D :D

schmenke
18th November 2010, 14:45
Another loss for the Flames. The Leafs are now ahead of them in the overall league standings :s

Ian White and Brett Sutter for Babchuk and Kostopolus from the 'Canes. Fair trade I guess. Not sure about Kostopolus. As a forward, he can barely manage 20 points a season :dozey: . Babchuk is a solid defenceman though.

Glad to see Sutter go. One down... now if we could only get rid of the other two :s

N. Jones
19th November 2010, 13:28
Babchuk is solid and will help the Flames PP. Kostopoulos is a 3rd liner. Not sure if they need any more of those.

Darryl's son gets the boot outta Calgary. Ian White will probably be the #4 Dman on the 'Canes (2nd pairing at best) and will fill in on the PP if needed. He is buried at bit offense wise with Joni Pitkanen, Jamie Mcbain, and joe Corvo ahead of him.

A.F.F.
19th November 2010, 15:59
Glad to see Sutter go. One down... now if we could only get rid of the other two :s

Patience my friend... it'll happen :mark:

schmenke
19th November 2010, 16:06
Habs first loss in 5 last night. Rinne was solid for Nashville.

Leafs win again against... The Devils. Someone remind me, how much are they paying Kovulchuk? :p :

N. Jones
19th November 2010, 19:46
The Sutter's are destroying the Flames. What a shame.

Devils need to can MacLean I think.
Anything the Laffs do won't matter because they are still in rebuild mode. :D

Mark in Oshawa
20th November 2010, 07:10
Another loss for the Flames. The Leafs are now ahead of them in the overall league standings :s

Ian White and Brett Sutter for Babchuk and Kostopolus from the 'Canes. Fair trade I guess. Not sure about Kostopolus. As a forward, he can barely manage 20 points a season :dozey: . Babchuk is a solid defenceman though.

Don't look now, but they took Chicago to the woodshed...7-1 with Iginla getting a hat trick. I don't think Iggy was playing to get the coach canned.

Sad night indeed...we lost Pat Burns tonight to Cancer. Too bad the idiots voting for Hockey Hall of Fame inductions didn't have the stones to put him in while he was still alive.

Not a better guy or coach likely on a lot of levels than Burnsy.....

N. Jones
20th November 2010, 14:10
The Hawks lost a lot of grit when they purged players over the summer. I also think they made a mistake in going with Turco.

That is a shame about Pat Burns as he seemed like a good guy (I say 'seemed' because I do not know him personally) but he was a great coach.

schmenke
20th November 2010, 16:02
Sad day indeed. Burns was a coach who was tough on his players and pushed them hard, but well respected at the same time.

Yep, good game for the Flames last night, although the Hawks looked a little flat-footed at times. For OJ's sake, I hope they don't win the next two as well :erm: :D

Mark in Oshawa
20th November 2010, 20:09
Schmenke, think about it, Pat Burns is the one thing Habs, Leafs and Bruin's fans can all agree on. THAT, and the sun coming up each day...lol

schmenke
23rd November 2010, 14:55
Jersey shuts out Washington 5 - 0 ! :s hock:

Stamkos scores 20th goal in 21 games :up:

Brad Richards to Toronto...? Do they have room in their cap?

Ghostwalker
23rd November 2010, 15:23

great to see Hedbä' playing so good again.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd November 2010, 16:34

Stamkos scores 20th goal in 21 games :up:

Brad Richards to Toronto...? Do they have room in their cap?

Jersey shut out Washington? Maybe some of those guys realized they were not going to get the coach fired?? Maybe Brodeur is finding his mojo? Hard to say.....

Love Stamkos tearing it up, just wished he was doing it in a town that actually embraces and loves hockey.

As for Richards to Toronto, god knows we need someone in the middle to make the team go. Center is the weakest part of this team, and yet is standard policy for teams to build through the middle...and yet Burke didn't do that...and he is paying for it now.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd November 2010, 16:36
In other news, OHL's player of the week is Christian Thomas who of course plays for my hometown Generals. 9 points on the weekend....5 of them goals.....in two games. Stumpy Thomas is a proud dad I am sure, I see him most games when I am helping tear down the cameras after one of our broadcasts...

N. Jones
23rd November 2010, 17:32
Toronto needs more than Brad Richards...

Christian is doing well. I even saw his name on a fantasy website!

Marty is out for the Devils. That wall in front of the NJ net is Johan Hedberg.
I guess the Caps felt sorry for John MacLean for some reason.

Someone call Larry Robinson!

Ghostwalker
23rd November 2010, 19:40
Jersey shut out Washington? Maybe some of those guys realized they were not going to get the coach fired?? Maybe Brodeur is finding his mojo? Hard to say.....

Love Stamkos tearing it up, just wished he was doing it in a town that actually embraces and loves hockey.

As for Richards to Toronto, god knows we need someone in the middle to make the team go. Center is the weakest part of this team, and yet is standard policy for teams to build through the middle...and yet Burke didn't do that...and he is paying for it now.

Brodeur didn't play since he's still injured.

Mark in Oshawa
24th November 2010, 07:27
Brodeur didn't play since he's still injured.

I stand corrected. I forgot he hurt his elbow until you mentioned it..and it came back to me he didn't have a good go of it a few nights back...

N. Jones
29th November 2010, 14:26
No and the Devils got shutout by the Islanders of all people a few days ago; but they came back to win in the shoot out (a Dumb concept) against the Flyers.
Hedberg made 40 saves.

schmenke
29th November 2010, 14:38
No and the Devils got shutout by the Islanders of all people ....

:s
Remind me again how much they're paying Kovalchuk?

Flames finally end a miserable road trip :s
Iginla has to move off the first line and be replaced with Bourque on RW... like the Sutters will ever make that move :rolleyes:

N. Jones
29th November 2010, 16:32
Isn't Kovy getting 6 mil a season? Something like that?

What needs to be done in Calgary is The Sutters need to go.
Then Jokinen and Tanguay need to be traded for anything.
Either Stajan stays with Iggy or they find a replacement such a Hemsky (who would move to center).
Then they need to put Babchuk on the top PP and keep Bouwmeester well away from any PP situation. Leave him on 5 on 5 and SH, because his offensive skills are very limited (and Babchuk's are MUCH better).

N. Jones
29th November 2010, 16:37
Also, Chicago's CSN put up a poll during Saturday's Hawks-Kings game asking the fans this question:

If the game was on the line who would you trust in net?
Turco, Crawford, or either?

67% said Crawford.

This tells me that NO ONE has faith in Marty Turco. They are not willing to give him a a chance.
I guess the Hawks will go into the playoffs with questions marks in goal, again.

schmenke
30th November 2010, 00:03
Isn't Kovy getting 6 mil a season? Something like that?

What needs to be done in Calgary is The Sutters need to go.
Then Jokinen and Tanguay need to be traded for anything.
Either Stajan stays with Iggy or they find a replacement such a Hemsky (who would move to center).
Then they need to put Babchuk on the top PP and keep Bouwmeester well away from any PP situation. Leave him on 5 on 5 and SH, because his offensive skills are very limited (and Babchuk's are MUCH better).

Yep, the Sutters are the priority problem that needs to be resolved.
Yep, Jokinen needs to be traded. A bag of pucks would be a fair trade.
Tanguay... I'm not sure. With the right line mates he could do better.
Hemsky? Wrong Albertan team, my friend :p :
First line should look something like:
LW: Hagman
C: Stajan (or perhaps Morrison)
RW: Bourque.
Yep, Boumeester needs to go for the salary that he's being paid :hmph:

schmenke
30th November 2010, 00:05
Also, Chicago's CSN put up a poll during Saturday's Hawks-Kings game asking the fans this question:

If the game was on the line who would you trust in net?
Turco, Crawford, or either?

67% said Crawford.

This tells me that NO ONE has faith in Marty Turco. They are not willing to give him a a chance.
I guess the Hawks will go into the playoffs with questions marks in goal, again.

Crawford has paid his dues in the minors and needs to be given a chance to stop the puck for the big boys :up:

Easy Drifter
30th November 2010, 06:18
I haven't really being following this or even the NHL that much recently.
Now I am an old f-rt goalie who did play in Major Jr.A. Actually then there was only one Jr A. I played before masks and still have a few visible scars to prove it although most have faded.
What I have noticed is that all the goalies nearly all the time use the butterfly. It does cover the net low down very well. But only a few can really get back up quickly.
I am seeing more and more goals scored by the smarter players going high where the goalie cannot cover the area when in the butterfly. Also few of them can really move from side to side really quickly on two on ones.
I just wonder if the old style stand up goalie might make a comeback. They could stop the high shots and handle two on ones far better.
An old stand up type.
Mind you our pads were a lot smaller as were our gloves. My catching glove was a first baseman's trapper. I started using that about the same time as Johnny Bower did. We came up with the same idea separately. He also was a he-l of a lot better than me.

Mark in Oshawa
30th November 2010, 06:29
I haven't really being following this or even the NHL that much recently.
Now I am an old f-rt goalie who did play in Major Jr.A. Actually then there was only one Jr A. I played before masks and still have a few visible scars to prove it although most have faded.
What I have noticed is that all the goalies nearly all the time use the butterfly. It does cover the net low down very well. But only a few can really get back up quickly.
I am seeing more and more goals scored by the smarter players going high where the goalie cannot cover the area when in the butterfly. Also few of them can really move from side to side really quickly on two on ones.
I just wonder if the old style stand up goalie might make a comeback. They could stop the high shots and handle two on ones far better.
An old stand up type.
Mind you our pads were a lot smaller as were our gloves. My catching glove was a first baseman's trapper. I started using that about the same time as Johnny Bower did. We came up with the same idea separately. He also was a he-l of a lot better than me.

Drifter, the butterfly works as long as the guys have decent glove hands and can pop back up quick. Blame Roy, he was the guy who made it the way to go....Brodeur is about as close to a stand up goalie as there used to be, and even he butterflied most of his career.

Schmenke, trading Iginla will bring them youth, but he isnt' the problem. The problem is what it is always is, they don't give him anyone who can feed him the puck on a reliable basis.

schmenke
30th November 2010, 14:24
...What I have noticed is that all the goalies nearly all the time use the butterfly. It does cover the net low down very well. But only a few can really get back up quickly....

Kiprusof is notorious for this. I can't say he goes down often, but when he does he's like molasses getting back up :s
Luango on the other hand... :s hock:

... My catching glove was a first baseman's trapper. ...

:D

Mark, I'm not saying trade Iginla, but at least swap him on RW for Bourque. Or perhaps move him over to centre with René and Hagman as wingmen. I get the feeling though that Iggy has it written in his contract that he'll only play on the first line.

Having said all that, he scored a goal last night, as did Boumeester in a 3 - 0 shutout :crazy: :D

N. Jones
30th November 2010, 17:06
Yep, the Sutters are the priority problem that needs to be resolved.
Yep, Jokinen needs to be traded. A bag of pucks would be a fair trade.
Tanguay... I'm not sure. With the right line mates he could do better.
Hemsky? Wrong Albertan team, my friend :p :
First line should look something like:
LW: Hagman
C: Stajan (or perhaps Morrison)
RW: Bourque.
Yep, Boumeester needs to go for the salary that he's being paid :hmp

Hagman? Hagman? That guy is a third liner! You want injury-boy Bourque on the first line? Iginla should be there and he needs a play-making center to help him, that is where Hemsky comes in. Ales has worlds of talent but he cannot show it off because of the very young talent in EDM.
Maybe with Tanguay. With every day that goes by he moves further and further away from his 80 point days.

Mark in Oshawa
30th November 2010, 19:17
Mark, I'm not saying trade Iginla, but at least swap him on RW for Bourque. Or perhaps move him over to centre with René and Hagman as wingmen. I get the feeling though that Iggy has it written in his contract that he'll only play on the first line.

Having said all that, he scored a goal last night, as did Boumeester in a 3 - 0 shutout :crazy: :D

Well Iginla I would love to see as a Leaf...because with Kessel I am sure things would improve around here. The problem is, Sutter is no Doug Risebrough...lol...

schmenke
30th November 2010, 22:14
Hagman? Hagman? ....

Current LW options are Glencross, Meyer, Tanguay or Hagman... Take your pick :s

...You want injury-boy Bourque on the first line?....

Yep. He's by far the most talented goal-scorer on the team.

schmenke
2nd December 2010, 14:45
Habs lose in OT to... The Oilers :s

I must admit, I've become somewhat of a closet Oilers fan this season. Sounds silly, yes I know, but despite their standings I enjoy watching the youngsters play with determination and drive. It's quite refreshing from watching a team like the Flames :s .
Today's rumour is that the Oilers will be moved to Québec :s hock: .

Mark in Oshawa
2nd December 2010, 15:36
Habs lose in OT to... The Oilers :s

I must admit, I've become somewhat of a closet Oilers fan this season. Sounds silly, yes I know, but despite their standings I enjoy watching the youngsters play with determination and drive. It's quite refreshing from watching a team like the Flames :s .
Today's rumour is that the Oilers will be moved to Québec :s hock: .

The Oilers have Eberle, who doesn't like Eberle after his last minute heroics on the World Junior teams? They are fun..and Montreal is still learning to be consistent.

As for the Oilers in Quebec, that was I think more about finding out how to blackmail politicians into buying you an arena from the experts. I don't think Sam Katz wants every Rexall in Western Canada boarded up.....

A.F.F.
2nd December 2010, 22:17
Talking about Flames... there is something fundamentally wrong in that team. Even watching them play is giving me an attitude :mark:

N. Jones
3rd December 2010, 02:02
Current LW options are Glencross, Meyer, Tanguay or Hagman... Take your pick :s

Yep. He's by far the most talented goal-scorer on the team.

Tanguay-Stajan-Iggy
godknowswho-Jokinen-Bourque

Can't see how Rene is better than Iggy...

schmenke
3rd December 2010, 14:57
...Can't see how Rene is better than Iggy...

We'll never know 'cause Sutter will never put him on the fist line!

Mark in Oshawa
5th December 2010, 01:56
Sutter was a good junior coach. I don't know how he has translated this to NHL players but I am of the belief he is but one problem.

Like Toronto, Calgary has issues with a lack of chemistry with their top players and a lack of talent behind their first 5 or 6 players...

N. Jones
5th December 2010, 03:51
Calgary should have never let Mike Cammellari go.

Mark in Oshawa
5th December 2010, 04:16
Calgary should have never let Mike Cammellari go.

he was a Free Agent was he not? I don't think he had an interest in staying.....

The problem in Calgary has been somehow similar to Toronto, the results seem to be less than the sum of the parts.

Not sure why this is, but any team that had Iginla and Kipper to build around and some of the people it did just never got off the ground...

In the case of the Leafs...well if they could score, their defense would in theory look better, but guys with great pedigree's and potential just never reach it in Toronto save for maybe Schenn and Kaberle...

N. Jones
5th December 2010, 14:33
Was he? Didn't they trade him....no, he signed in MTL, didn't he?
They could have tried to persuade him. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.
What I do know was that he was a good fit for the team.

WHY in the hell Sutter resigned Tanguay & Jokinen I'll never know...

Mark in Oshawa
6th December 2010, 17:57
Was he? Didn't they trade him....no, he signed in MTL, didn't he?
They could have tried to persuade him. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.
What I do know was that he was a good fit for the team.

WHY in the hell Sutter resigned Tanguay & Jokinen I'll never know...

He had to sign someone....and they were there, and no other alternatives were available.

Cammalari just wanted to be a Hab I think...or at least, wanted to go some place where he figured he could excel....

N. Jones
8th December 2010, 01:35
Calgary is in such a world of hurt. Kipper is a good goalie but that team is terrible.

I cant see them making the playoffs.

Mark in Oshawa
8th December 2010, 22:43
Calgary is in such a world of hurt. Kipper is a good goalie but that team is terrible.

I cant see them making the playoffs.

Well, I cant either on some nights..and yet they have some decent parts and pieces. Calgary is perplexing....

schmenke
8th December 2010, 22:53
It's frustrating to see the Flames completely mis-managed by the Sutters. For the team to have any hope, the two of them have to go!

Mark in Oshawa
8th December 2010, 23:08
Schmenke, the sad part is they were in the finals not that long ago, and I can tell you that that team always seems to have more than what it uses. It is truly the Leaf's all over again....lol..

A.F.F.
8th December 2010, 23:23
Yet again I don't know what's wrong with OJ?? The interview I read about him gave me an impression he way more humble than he used to be. So, the fact he is not a teamplayer shouldn't be a problem. Also, he should be very fit novadays, he doesn't drink any alcohol, eat healthy etc....

Is it that he is totally lost in Flames?? He doesn't have a suitable role in which he can deliver? Is it that the pressure on him is just too much??

The fact is he is a talented hockeyplayer, he is strong and he could be a leader. Maybe he should be a leader?? In a some other team like he was in Panthers... although he wasn't liked by the other players :mark:

Long story short, he should do much better than he is now!

A.F.F.
29th December 2010, 15:05
The other Sutter gone !! And OJ seems to be in the game again :up:

Mark in Oshawa
31st December 2010, 08:40
The other Sutter gone !! And OJ seems to be in the game again :up:

Jokinen has been pretty good of late. The problem is on the blue line and in goal. You look at goals against stats, the Flames are not doing too well....

A.F.F.
31st December 2010, 13:25
I agree. Too much pressure to Kipper who hasn't been at his best :mark:

DonJippo
31st December 2010, 14:52
I agree. Too much pressure to Kipper who hasn't been at his best :mark:

Maybe Kipper should take few sessions with Pasi Nurminen to get his game back on track ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RETdfW7eu0I :p :

A.F.F.
31st December 2010, 15:11
Maybe Kipper should take few sessions with Pasi Nurminen to get his game back on track ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RETdfW7eu0I :p :

:laugh: :up:

dunes
2nd January 2011, 16:59
Even with the rain and the slush the classic ended up pretty nice i think.the people stayed till the end and the caps won. a good day for everyone.
Good one tonight det hosting the flyers.

Mark in Oshawa
4th January 2011, 07:41
Heheheheh, World Juniors In Buffalo....the more things change, the more they remain the same. Canada Defeats the tough Americans in one semi final with a fine display of defensive toughness and good goaltending, and the Russians beat the unusually cocky Swedes (their coach had the gall to say Canada wasn't that tough..and yet he needed a fluke goal to tie a game with them...go figure) in a shoot out.

so...Canada vs Russia for the gold Wednesday..and I hope the Americans rip the heart out of the cocky Swedes. Normally I don't dislike them, but their coach was a real doofus...that said, they are fast...never seen a faster Junior team...

A.F.F.
4th January 2011, 11:00
Heheheheh, World Juniors In Buffalo....the more things change, the more they remain the same.

And Finland somehow managed to loose 3-1 lead with five last minutes to Russia. :dozey:

I kinda hoped that the new generation of finnish players wouldn't know how to collapse in the last minutes but this something we the Finns are world champions.... embarrasing.

billiaml
4th January 2011, 21:57
And Finland somehow managed to loose 3-1 lead with five last minutes to Russia. :dozey:

I kinda hoped that the new generation of finnish players wouldn't know how to collapse in the last minutes but this something we the Finns are world champions.... embarrasing.

Aw, man. I hate it when teams snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like that. I know it's easy to get overconfident when they have a lead towards the end of the game but, as they found out the hard way, it ain't over 'til it's over.

A.F.F.
4th January 2011, 22:19
Aw, man. I hate it when teams snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like that. I know it's easy to get overconfident when they have a lead towards the end of the game but, as they found out the hard way, it ain't over 'til it's over.

That is something you guys and especially Canada knows. To play to the last second of the game. And now apparenlty young Russians who did the same to Sweden ...

Mark in Oshawa
4th January 2011, 22:33
That is something you guys and especially Canada knows. To play to the last second of the game. And now apparenlty young Russians who did the same to Sweden ...

The Russians taught us that...the old Red Army teams never used to quit easy....

It is funny, International hockey taught Canadians not to take the sport for granted..and our hockey culture adopted a lot of new ideas from Russia, Finland Sweden and the like.....

It isn't as international a game as soccer, more in line with maybe Rugby....but the highest level, it is marvelously entertaining...

DonJippo
6th January 2011, 15:59

and to Canada ... third period 5-0 to Russia! What the hell did happen to team Canada...????

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2011, 14:09
and to Canada ... third period 5-0 to Russia! What the hell did happen to team Canada...????

Well the Russians must have something in their bag of tricks, because they pulled the same stunt on the Finns and Swedes. Coming from behind. They got that idea in their head they were never out of a game, and the Canadians obliged by playing not to lose in the third. They stopped skating, stopped working, stopped hitting and got rattled by the 2 quick goals the Russians got.

All power to em, but after hearing how their delay out of Buffalo was delayed because they were all disorderly and rowdy leaving on a Delta Flight (the pilot tossed them off); I gain some satisfaction knowing Team Canada would never allow our guys to go anywhere acting a) like that and b) would sanction and punish anyone who did embarass the country.

The Russians won, all power to em, but they sure don't seem to have a lot of class...

DexDexter
7th January 2011, 18:19

True, the good thing is nobody cares about it these days, the matches were on a pay channel and I don't think that many people watched them. Hockey is/ will be on a downward spiral in Finland especially after next year when YLE loses the World Championship TV-rights. Then it's just ads and ads and pay-per-view. I remember watching Stanley Cup Finals in the middle of the night in about 1997 and it was live and free. Those days are long gone and your average Finnish Joe hasn't seen an NHL match in years....

DonJippo
7th January 2011, 23:56
The Russians won, all power to em, but they sure don't seem to have a lot of class...

Having had the pleasure to do business with them I can only agree with you...but then again I've done business also with your neigbours and they don't fall far behind the ruskies ... ;)

A.F.F.
8th January 2011, 15:52
True, the good thing is nobody cares about it these days, the matches were on a pay channel and I don't think that many people watched them. Hockey is/ will be on a downward spiral in Finland especially after next year when YLE loses the World Championship TV-rights. Then it's just ads and ads and pay-per-view. I remember watching Stanley Cup Finals in the middle of the night in about 1997 and it was live and free. Those days are long gone and your average Finnish Joe hasn't seen an NHL match in years....

Word :up:

I do have a channelpackage with ESPN and MAX3 so I get to watch some hockey at least. Doesn't Nelonen Sport show some NHL matches ?

Mark in Oshawa
8th January 2011, 19:38
Having had the pleasure to do business with them I can only agree with you...but then again I've done business also with your neigbours and they don't fall far behind the ruskies ... ;)

I suppose every team has its bad examples, and there was some classy American teams like last year's winners in Saskatoon, or the idiots that trashed their rooms in Nagano in the 98 Olympics.

AS for the Russians, well, this years Junior team proved once and for all that you can win, but if you cant have class doing it, then you just look like a boob.....

DexDexter
9th January 2011, 10:16
Well the Russians must have something in their bag of tricks, because they pulled the same stunt on the Finns and Swedes. Coming from behind. They got that idea in their head they were never out of a game, and the Canadians obliged by playing not to lose in the third. They stopped skating, stopped working, stopped hitting and got rattled by the 2 quick goals the Russians got.

All power to em, but after hearing how their delay out of Buffalo was delayed because they were all disorderly and rowdy leaving on a Delta Flight (the pilot tossed them off); I gain some satisfaction knowing Team Canada would never allow our guys to go anywhere acting a) like that and b) would sanction and punish anyone who did embarass the country.

I think the whole thing is mainly just hot air, different cultures, different cultural norms and young people enjoying their victory a bit too much.

cali
9th January 2011, 11:53
I think the whole thing is mainly just hot air, different cultures, different cultural norms and young people enjoying their victory a bit too much.
Quite agree as russians like to party (read: heavy drinking) wayyyy more than any other nation in the planet. It was no news to me :)

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2011, 06:41
Quite agree as russians like to party (read: heavy drinking) wayyyy more than any other nation in the planet. It was no news to me :)

That it is no news to you doesn't change the fact no other nation in this tourney would attempt to put 20 young guys on a foreign airline in a foreign country (all under the legal drinking age by the way) not only hammered but accosting everyone and just being loons.

We Canadians like to party and celebrate, as anyone saw us at the Olympics in 2010 knows, but man...how sad is this happening and most people who know the Russians just go "yup...typical...lol"...I mean if you are Putin, don't you sorta think...my god, we do look like idiots out there when our guys do this stuff!"

cali
10th January 2011, 08:19
TI mean if you are Putin, don't you sorta think...my god, we do look like idiots out there when our guys do this stuff!"

Nope, he's problably prouder than ever. Otherwise I agree what you said, but this is something that has not surprised me at all since Russia is only 230 km away from where I live. Drinking heavily is a very big part of their culture. Hope I did not offend our russian friends here in rallyforum :)

schmenke
12th January 2011, 14:26
I wonder if the Flames would fare any better...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5288/5348660523_4d2aa48fb1.jpg

billiaml
12th January 2011, 15:54

LMAO! That sign could be adapted to so many teams in so many sports -- especially in my neck of the woods.

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2011, 14:29

Likely not....it makes it hell to be a fan of both right now..

That said, the Leafs have put together a very solid road trip and haven't lost a game in the last 5...so it does make one ponder what the hell have they figured out. Beating LA and SJ at home isn't Maple Leaf like behaviour....

billiaml
13th January 2011, 14:57
Funny how teams will do that. You have to scratch your head & think, "Where have you guys been all year?" Of course, with the teams I follow, this usually happens after the team is out of playoff contention -- and they realize that, if they don't perform, they may get cut from the team.

Mark in Oshawa
17th January 2011, 22:39
Billiami, The Leafs will no doubt find the loss column more often than not the minute it is clear they could make a run at the last playoff spot. It is what they seem to know well of late. Doing just well enough to not finish last....

schmenke
17th January 2011, 23:13
...Just enough to keep you Leafs fans tantalized :p :

urabus-denoS2000
17th January 2011, 23:21
Selanne scored 2 goals , not bad for an almost 41-year-old ;)

PSfan
17th January 2011, 23:53
Selanne scored 2 goals , not bad for an almost 41-year-old ;)

With the Oilers defense, and the way the Khabibulin been playing, He should have gotten 5... :p

Mark in Oshawa
18th January 2011, 19:36
...Just enough to keep you Leafs fans tantalized :p :

Wake me when they make the playoffs....

Assistant GM Dave Nonis was quoted in the paper as asking us to be "patient". Patience is putting up with that idiot Ballard running the team into the ground. Patience is one idiot after another with the exception of Cliff Fletcher running the leafs with no clue of a proper rebuild. Oh I have been patient, but what Dave Nonis and that idiot Burke better get is they are the one's who showed up saying how easy this would be....not me.

The biggest fallacy of all is the media's insistence and some people in management is that Toronto fans wouldn't sit through a total rebuild from the word go. Sure we would...we are so used to sucking, it would be nice to do it knowing good draft picks would come from it....

schmenke
20th January 2011, 15:01
A couple of big goose-eggs last night :s hock:

What happened in MSG? Four goals for Gaborik in a 7- 0 Leafs-crushing!

Then in the 'Dome, another tough night for Kipper in a 6 - 0 loss to the Wild! His Finnish counterpart chalked up the shut-out, although I can't say that Backstrom was really tested :s .

In other news, Cammalleri injured... out for at least 1 month :mark:

A.F.F.
21st January 2011, 07:12
Kipper is in very deep water now????

The only goalie (Finn) who has been consistent is Rinne. Everybody else has had some strange games ??

Mark in Oshawa
25th January 2011, 16:22
Schmenke, the Leaf's losing at MSG is followed by them winning at home against the Ducks, and then losing a tough but good game in Carolina. That is the Leaf's, you don't know who will show up, and you can be rest assured Phil Kessel wont...

A.F.F.
15th February 2011, 20:39
Flames not giving up and surprisingly OJ has been a very good player in the last weeks !!! Does anybody know did he hurt himself last game???

Pittsburg sinking like Titanic in the chart....

Mark in Oshawa
15th February 2011, 21:56
Not sure on what is going on with Olli and the Flames AFF. Schmenke will enlighten us I am sure.

AS for Pittsburgh, without Crosby and Malkin they are vulnerable. The head shot Crosby took on Christmas Day may take him out for the season. Looks good on Pittsburgh when they have a guy like Matt Cooke dressing every night.

Mario Lemieux is upset by the violence in the NHL, but I guess he hasn't watched his boy Cooke in action. He has ended Savard's career, and has hurt Lecavilier's career wiping out his shoulder.....and is a master of taking out knees and pushing people into the glass head first....

A.F.F.
15th February 2011, 22:32
As for the Flames I read a talk from OJ. He said ethat everybody is playing for Sutter, the one who left. That's what got them playing... Olli I guess ate **** a spoonfull of too much and finally got his act together. Hopefully he isnt' too injured now that he is playing well??

It's amazing really.... I often think how important can those guys be for the team but now it seem obvious. Not talking about Pittsburgh alone but other teams with superstars as well.

Mark in Oshawa
15th February 2011, 23:27
AFF, no matter what team it is, a few players can make the difference between First place and missing the playoffs. With the points for ties and the number of games going into OT and to the shootout all giving losing teams points, it is a really tight race for the playoffs. Ground lost in the early part of the season is often hard to make up if you don't beat the teams in regulation you need to get past. So as a result, any injuries to many big stars can start to cost you games and points..and before you know it, you are making Tee time reservations in April...

Mr. Mister
16th February 2011, 00:50
Not NHL, but last night's Beanpot final. Wow. Boston College 7 - 6 Northeastern University in OT. I'm sure my avatar suggests which side I was on in that one. Wild game of college hockey.

AS for Pittsburgh, without Crosby and Malkin they are vulnerable. The head shot Crosby took on Christmas Day may take him out for the season. Looks good on Pittsburgh when they have a guy like Matt Cooke dressing every night.

Mario Lemieux is upset by the violence in the NHL, but I guess he hasn't watched his boy Cooke in action. He has ended Savard's career, and has hurt Lecavilier's career wiping out his shoulder.....and is a master of taking out knees and pushing people into the glass head first....

Thank you for calling out Matt Cooke. It makes me sick to know someone like that can maintain a career.

It's amazing to me the hypocrisy from the Penguins in light of Crosby's injury; the same ones who defended Cooke after the Savard hit are now asking for the NHL to do something. The only guy in the Pens locker room who called Cooke out that day was Bill Guerin. Ridiculous, though I suppose as a Bruins fan, I may have some bias there.

They need longer suspensions and, most importantly, they need stiff fines.

A.F.F.
17th February 2011, 19:18
Well, OJ's back....

Mark in Oshawa
20th February 2011, 14:48
They need longer suspensions and, most importantly, they need stiff fines.

That wont happen unless they get a commissioner who actually understands the game but isn't beholden to upholding the last 90 years of excuses for the mindless stuff.

A.F.F.
21st February 2011, 13:17
Way to go Kipper and rest of the Flames :bounce:

dunes
6th March 2011, 18:54
At the beguining of the season i picked 8 teams to be in the playoffs. I think without checking I have 4 going in as of this weekend.
It stinks for pitts loss. To lose thier two most talented players half way through the season and have such a lasting effect is truely horrible. Hope sid gets cleared for future play and malkin makes it back; totally.

schmenke
9th March 2011, 15:35
The hit by Chara on Pachioretty, although perhaps not intentional, was one of the most sickening I've see in recent memory :s

It'll be interesting to see what the league's assessment will be. I wonder if being team captain will have any influence on a decision of a suspension, if any :mark: .

Mr. Mister
9th March 2011, 20:32
Saw the hit...felt absolutely sick. Couldn't watch the rest of the game. Horrible.

I may be a Bruins fan, but Chara needs to be suspended. I don't think it was intentional, but you have to be aware of what you're doing, and at best, Chara wasn't; at worst, he was aware, and in which case, he has no right to play in the league.

The NHL needs to get tough, and I know they won't, but there's really no excuse. They need a serious, consistent policy and, yes, they're going to have to make judgment calls on intent. Better than the alternative.

I don't care how much damage it will do to my team to have Valabik, Cohen, or Bodnarchuk join an already depleted defense; I don't want to see Chara in a Bs uniform against Buffalo and for more games beyond that.

Most importantly, frustration aside, I really hope Max Pacioretty makes a full recovery. Hate to see it to any player in any sweater.

Mr. Mister
9th March 2011, 21:13
No fine, no suspension for Chara. I really disagree with that decision.

AndyRAC
9th March 2011, 22:17
No fine, no suspension for Chara. I really disagree with that decision.

That's just ridiculous - honestly, what's going on regarding discipline this season? It might not have been intentional, but it was dumb/foolish. It surely warrants at least a 5 game suspension?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6197378

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl/news/story?id=6198238

schmenke
9th March 2011, 23:00
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357209

"...Zdeno Chara will not face further discipline for his hit on Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty on Tuesday night, the National Hockey League announced Wednesday afternoon.
"I conducted a hearing with Boston Bruins' defenceman Zdeno Chara with respect to the major penalty for interference and game misconduct that he was assessed at 19:44 of the second period for a hit on Max Pacioretty of the Montreal Canadiens," NHL vice-president of hockey operations Mike Murphy said in a statement.
"After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline. This hit resulted from a play that evolved and then happened very quickly -- with both players skating in the same direction and with Chara attempting to angle his opponent into the boards," continued Murphy. "I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous.
"This was a hockey play that resulted in an injury because of the player colliding with the stanchion and then the ice surface. In reviewing this play, I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career." ..."

Hmm... so Mike Murphy conducted an interview with Chara to review the incident. How about conducting an interview with Max Pacioretty to get his opinion of the event? Ah, of course not that would be impractical because Max is in a hospital with a concussion and a fractured vertebrae!

The message now being sent by the league is that this type of play, resulting in serious injury is o.k. Well done :down:

Mr. Mister
10th March 2011, 00:45
It saddens me, as a Bruins fan, to see so many Bruins fans quick to ask for Randy Jones or Matt Cooke to get lifetime bans from the NHL, but then call this one a great call. Total hypocrisy and it's embarrassing to support the same team as them. Truly is.

And it's embarrassing, too, to be a hockey fan today. Just silly. "I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career." That sentence stands out in particular. So dumb on so many levels; it implies first offenses are excusable, and it implies every past decision was right.

It was an ugly hit and players cannot be careless like that (assuming Chara was careless and not malevolent; I can't judge intent though their past history makes this worse). I don't care if it wasn't supposed to cause injury; it did, and that's why it needs to be penalized. Preaching to the choir, I'm sure, but it really disappoints me to see the NHL let crap go and make inconsistent rulings, and to see my fellow Bruins fans disgrace the team.

dunes
10th March 2011, 03:26
True blue Detroit fan but a Bruins fan as well. The hit even though not intentional [and remorseful of Chara] still needs to follow presidence set by the league in other cases. Because he is not a bully nor a headhunter should not come into lieu of fines and suspensions. I'm not saying Chara is dirty or deliberate, nor am i saying hes losing his egde but a presidence has been set way back with burtuzzi and before.it must not be wavered upon. I like Chara as a player even against my Wings but IMO he needs to sit the rest of the year, or at least until the playoffs start.

A.F.F.
10th March 2011, 13:04
Auts... :mark:

Felt really bad watching that hit. I also think it wasn't intentional but still needs to be punished. This year has been pretty rough and that directiuon needs to be changed. This is still a sport, not a gladiator arena.

Mark in Oshawa
12th March 2011, 23:36
Well the NHL is consistent, and for anyone who thought Chara was going to get a suspension, I have some swampland I will sell you. The reality is that in today's game, interference isn't called. It is now Finishing your check to drill some poor schmuck who passed the puck. Also understand that how many players have been blindsided in deliberate attempts to injure? How many suspensions? How long will it be for Matt Cooke to finally be dealt with?

It is ironic that it takes an injured Hab to get corporate sponsors all excited, and of course, VIA and Air Canada; the two that are putting the league on notice (sort of) are based in Montreal? Did they not see the Savard hit? How about the blindside cheap shot that still has the best player in the league sitting out? OH yes, it only is bad when it is ON TV or my team...right.

The reality is, this BS has been going on for YEARS. It wont change because the league doesn't want it to change. They have this notion it sells the game. I see how well that is working for Bettman in Atlanta and Phoenix, but hey, what do I know? I just watch hockey and love it....or at least try to.

Chara should have gotten some games. Not sure what is the right number, but an acknowledgement that you cant drill guys into stanchions and partitions where the glass ends. You cant and do not hit a guy into the open door on a line change, why Chara didn't see the partition I don't know. I really cant judge his intent, and I like him as a player, but he should be sitting. The Bruin's faithful after all they have gone through with Savard would surely understand. But no....maybe because Jacobs and Bettman are best buds this didn't happen. I almost think hockey operations and their discipline department are told when to actually do their jobs or not.

The NHL is the worst run of the 4 major sports in North America and this week they proved it over and over again.

Meanwhile, Gary keeps insisting Phoenix is a viable market for the sport while the team loses 35 million a year with a winning record! With brains like this, I suspect someone will have to get killed or get a clue soon...but I keep waiting...

I will continue to spend my money on watching Junior games live, and paying little or no attention to NHL games other than the highlights.

AndyRAC
13th March 2011, 23:29
Just out of interest, which is the best run of the 4 Major US Sports?

I quite often think that some of our British sports (especially cricket, which is appallingly run) could do with some lessons from US Sports.

A.F.F.
14th March 2011, 13:19
NBA, NFL, NHL and ??? Nascar? :D

Mark in Oshawa
10th April 2011, 08:52
Been a while since anyone commented on hockey. Since the last few postings, Take note, that Matt Cooke is pretty much done unless Pittsburgh makes the second round of the playoffs due to a half hearted elbow he took at some New York Ranger. I guess when you try to run over a New York player, the league figured they had to do something. That, and all the abuse we gave them.

I wont knock the 10 plus games and first round of the playoffs that Cooke will sit for. It is LONG over due.

In other hockey news, I am still wired from helping broadcast (Rogers TV Durham Region) the 2nd game of the Oshawa Generals and Niagara Ice Dogs in the Conference Semi Finals of the OHL. Game ended 6 - 4 for Oshawa in a wild and hard fought game. Good clean but tough hockey from start to finish and decent officiating OTHER than a missed goal. Oh well.....we had it on our replay, but for whatever reason, the OHL officials didn't see it as we did....just as well since It would have put Niagara up 5-4 when it was "scored".

Garry Walker
23rd April 2011, 14:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0BDFCJXpWs
Check out this beauty by Bobby Ryan.

gloomyDAY
23rd April 2011, 16:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0BDFCJXpWs
Check out this beauty by Bobby Ryan.I saw that live and only a few meters away.

It was even sweeter in person, but too bad the Ducks lost.

A.F.F.
23rd April 2011, 22:33
I saw that live and only a few meters away.

It was even sweeter in person, but too bad the Ducks lost.

WTF happened to them ????

gloomyDAY
24th April 2011, 07:22
WTF happened to them ????I don't have a clue. I got out of my seat during the 3rd period with only 5 minutes to play. I came back and the game was tied. Overtime came around and I was left stunned that the Predators had won! :(

Mark in Oshawa
25th April 2011, 00:54
Gloomy, that Ryan goal summed up the skill of hockey beautifully. Seeing a guy deke and dive like that at speed was something to see. One of the best goals I have seen all year.

Too bad Nashville seems to have your number. OH well, another round of Carrie Underwood watching her hubs playing the leadership role that The Pred's needed all these years. That said, til the Ducks are done, I suppose I shouldn't say they are dead. Perry and Getzlaf are stars in my books and that Ryan kid is alright too. I just don't think your goalie is in Rinne's class....