PDA

View Full Version : Official NHL/hockey thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Garry Walker
10th March 2009, 14:00
Carbanneau sacked. Gainey has taken over has interim head coach. Sign of desperation from a team trying to ensure a playoff spot :dozey:

To think, at one time they seemed like one of the main contenders for the Cup this season.

Mark in Oshawa
12th March 2009, 05:04
Carbanneau sacked. Gainey has taken over has interim head coach. Sign of desperation from a team trying to ensure a playoff spot :dozey:

Carbo got sacked because he was going to Halak making Gainey look like he was wrong on making Carey Price the saviour. What is more, Gainey may be in trouble if the Hab's don't make a good run in the playoffs. Gillet needs that playoff revenue, and you Hab's fans think it is a cardinal sin if you are not at least in the conference finals every year. Gainey has to make a go of it and he probably figures if he is coaching and fails, at least he goes out on his shield. Personally, I think Carbo wasn't a bad coach but he lost this team. It is the curse of the Hab's that every coach they pick pretty much has to be bilingual if not a francophone. You gonna tell me a Ken Hitchcock, Joel Quennville or Pat Quinn aren't worthy to coach the Habs?

A.F.F.
13th March 2009, 17:30
Wild is working really hard NOT to get in to playoffs :up:

:dozey:

Mark in Oshawa
14th March 2009, 16:06
AFF..unlike my stupid Leafs who keep winning JUST enough to toss them out of the John Taveres/Hedman sweepstakes....

A.F.F.
14th March 2009, 16:15
Yep, it's great to be THIRD worst.

Mark in Oshawa
14th March 2009, 16:40
AFF...it is the last hope for fans of bad teams...to draft a superstar...

schmenke
14th March 2009, 17:35
Well, a few weeks ago I lost 1st place in my pool with 5 injured players :mark: . Now with 6 - Kovalchuk being the most recent - I'm struggling to hang on to 3d :bigcry:
It's not so much the loss of over $600.00 for first place but the loss of bragging rights that hurts the most :D

How you all doing? Any potential rewards to soon reap? :D

BTCC2
14th March 2009, 18:13
UK Elite league standings:

1. Sheffield steelers 83
2. Coventry Blaze 74
3. Nottingham Panthers 74
4. Belfast Giants 72
5. Cardiff Devils 55
6. Manchester Phoenix 53
7. Newcastle Vipers 42
8. Edinburgh Capitals 36
9. Hull Stingrays 33
10. Basingstoke Bison 19

Mark in Oshawa
15th March 2009, 04:08
Well, a few weeks ago I lost 1st place in my pool with 5 injured players :mark: . Now with 6 - Kovalchuk being the most recent - I'm struggling to hang on to 3d :bigcry:
It's not so much the loss of over $600.00 for first place but the loss of bragging rights that hurts the most :D

How you all doing? Any potential rewards to soon reap? :D

Schmenke...I feel your pain. I was in pools for over 4 years. I would take guys who were on iron man streaks only to watch them go down with season ending injuries at Christmas. This year, I am not in a pool and I have noticed some of the guys I had last year are having healthy seasons.....

My only guy I could always depend on was Iginla, who played a pretty good game in a losing effort tonight. What always did me in was picking goalies...never had any luck with em.

Our pool had a complicated formula that gave goalies a point rating based on their win/loss ratio and save percentages...

A.F.F.
15th March 2009, 15:49
Oh I'm so glad to see OJ finally in a good team. He's really on fire alongside Iginla and Cammalleri :)

Mark in Oshawa
16th March 2009, 01:40
AFF, yes..and when Calgary gets home after being on the road for almost 2 weeks, the rest of the team will match his pace. Calgary is stuck with this murderous road trip because of the Brier (Canadian Men's Curling Championship) which will be ending as I type this.

I was torn last night, because I am a Leaf's fan but Calgary is my other team I cheer for on a regular basis and I can see they have the makings of a really good offensive team but I worry they are a little soft on the defensive side. Depending on Kipper may not be the best way to win. Kiprusoff is a great goalie but he needs more support than he has been getting of late.

raikk
17th March 2009, 07:51
write this down folks.. Leafs will draft Brayden Schenn in this years draft ;)

A.F.F.
17th March 2009, 08:35
Kari Lehtonen has had a weird late awakening. Too bad it won't help Atlanta anymore. Pekka Rinne otherhand has played brilliantly and surely is fighting for the rookie of the year title :up:

A.F.F.
29th March 2009, 22:20
After a really good start, Rangers seem to be under a threat to drop out of the playoffs in eastern conference. As do Habs.

In western, I can't belive Wild blew it so bad. Two of my favs, Wild and Ducks have to fight real hard if they wanna make it... *fingers crossed*

A.F.F.
31st March 2009, 22:37
Can you guys tell me if Islanders, Avalanche and tampa bey are losing on purpose now in order to get the number one pick ?? Or are there any penalties for the worst of the league?

Garry Walker
2nd April 2009, 13:08
Can you guys tell me if Islanders, Avalanche and tampa bey are losing on purpose now in order to get the number one pick ?? Or are there any penalties for the worst of the league?

They are just so bad. there are no penalties as such, with the exception of humiliation of being the joke of the league.
Before the season I thought Tampa was a certain playoff team, but they have been a very negative surprise.

woody2goody
2nd April 2009, 15:42
I support the Avs, and I honestly thought we had a chance for the championship, but how wrong I was :D

To be honest, I've never been one to settle for this, but why not lose every game from now on to try to get the number one pick (probably John Tavares)?

I thought we had a good team but it's obvious something needs to change. It's not as if there has been one or two players in particular who have been bad. Most of the players have been ok but it's been a strange old season.

F1fanru
2nd April 2009, 19:58
I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame during the Listeria outbreak. While I was there I kissed the Stanley Cup. When I got home I went to my doctor and asked him if there was any chance I could catch Listeria from kissing the cup. My doctor told me not to worry, he said that the cup hadn't touched a Maple Leaf product in 40 years.

schmenke
2nd April 2009, 23:48
See post # 740 :dozey:

(If I had a nickel... :dozey: )

A.F.F.
3rd April 2009, 08:09
So there nothing that prevents Islanders from getting number one pick this year ?? Great system :mark:

Garry Walker
3rd April 2009, 09:17
So there nothing that prevents Islanders from getting number one pick this year ?? Great system :mark:

Draft lottery. Only the top 5 worst teams can get the nr.1 pick, with the worst team having the best chance.

A.F.F.
3rd April 2009, 12:03
Draft lottery. Only the top 5 worst teams can get the nr.1 pick, with the worst team having the best chance.

Aah... ok. Cheers for the info Garry.

Mark in Oshawa
4th April 2009, 04:24

No GM with half a brain would ask his players to tank games to win more chances in the draft lottery. The lottery came about because it was rumoured that that Quebec Nordiques (now Av's) did this one year (not likely, they just sucked!) and Ottawa Senators (ditto but their kooky owner at the time I know came out and said something about hoping they would lose) all but did.

In retrospect, both teams were just full of young guys or no talent journeymen trying to hang onto a career but the NHL decided to remove the temptation.

The lottery is no sure thing. If you are in LAST in the league, you have about a 50% chance of getting the first pick. If you are second last, it works out to about 20%. Third last? About 10% The last 5 teams are the only ones eligible to get that first pick, and the draft lottery guarntee's that last team at least a top 3 pick no matter how the balls fall out of the lottery tumbler. So the worst the Islanders (if they stay in last) will do is a 3rd pick overall.

So there is no point really into tanking for that 1st pick because the odds are still only even on getting that pick.

No GM would ever really be sane if he asked his players to lose. The players are not wired mentally to tank games, and if they were, you would be a fool to sign them.

Now, icing a bad team full of earnest young guys who don't have the talent to stick around, but will try anyhow? THAT is legal, see the Nordiques and first year Senators or Lightning. Or the 74/75 Capitals, a truly DREADFUL team.

Personally, it galls me that the Islanders will yet again likely have a shot at the number one pick. That owner has allowed his franchise to be a laughing stock for years by their stunning ability to trade away good players for bad, and trade away draft choices. The ones they have kept have been dismal failures. The fact my favourite Junior player, John Tavares is likely to end up there just grinds away at justice. Charles Wang, the owner of the Isles should sell the team to someone with a clue......because Wang hasn't had one in YEARS....

BTCC2
6th April 2009, 18:16
World Championship starts tomorrow!!! Divison 2 anyway.

Mark in Oshawa
8th April 2009, 22:23
BTCC...you English have a team in the Division 2 tourney?

The world's is an also ran event really in many ways. I felt that way years ago and I think even more so now. The best players are NOT always there, and the national teams often have little time to become teams. Ideally the NHL would kill off the league for a month once every 4 years and have a proper World Cup. THAT would be the best way to determine all of this, but the IIHF like their money so the "World's" wont go away.

The World Junior Tourney works like this and while some might dispute because Canada wins all the time, that is why I like it but Canada has struggled at times in this tourney. What it has proven tho is when a team is picked, given 2 or 3 weeks to prepare, and then put in a decent format, this format produces excellent hockey.

BTCC2
12th April 2009, 12:24
Oh I agree 100% with what you are saying but for a country like us it is a big event because it gives us the chance if we can gain promotion to compete with the likes of USA, Finalnd, Canada and Sweden. I'm sure we are still a country mile off the standard of the nations I have just named but since the formation of the Elite League in 2003 British Ice Hockey has risen spectacularly in standard.

We are in Division 1 so we are within touching distance of the big time, we just need one more big push. Yesterday we lost 4-2 to Ukraine which was probably to be expected but next up is Italy and I've got a felling we could suprise afew people.

A.F.F.
13th April 2009, 16:46
Ukraine can be a bitch to play against. So having lost 4-2 is a pretty good achievement from England :up: Best of luck against Italy.

First round pairs are ready to rumble. If my wish was to be fullfilled, Habs, Rangers, Carolina and Philly from east and Ducks, Detroit, Canucks and Calgary from west would continue to the second round :D

BTCC2
13th April 2009, 22:12
Italy 5-2 Great Britain

We have Romania tomorrow, it's a must win to keep up any hopes of promotion.

1. Italy 6
2. Poland 6
3. Ukraine 6
4. Great Britain 0
5. Netherlands 0
6. Romania 0

Mark in Oshawa
13th April 2009, 23:45
Italy 5-2 Great Britain

We have Romania tomorrow, it's a must win to keep up any hopes of promotion.

1. Italy 6
2. Poland 6
3. Ukraine 6
4. Great Britain 0
5. Netherlands 0
6. Romania 0
Well If I was going to handicap those 6 nations, that would be the order I think they would be in. Italy can give good teams fits as can the Polish and the Ukraine. I hope in a few years Great Britain can be in the conversation of teams making it to the top division....

Mark in Oshawa
13th April 2009, 23:46
Ukraine can be a bitch to play against. So having lost 4-2 is a pretty good achievement from England :up: Best of luck against Italy.

First round pairs are ready to rumble. If my wish was to be fullfilled, Habs, Rangers, Carolina and Philly from east and Ducks, Detroit, Canucks and Calgary from west would continue to the second round :D

I want to see the Bruins, Caps, Pens, and Hurricanes in the East, in the west ? Go Flames, Go Canucks, after that....It really doesn't matter.

schmenke
14th April 2009, 14:43
Habs and Flames in the final :D

A.F.F.
14th April 2009, 15:55
That sounds like a win-win situation for you.

BTCC2
14th April 2009, 23:21
Romania 0-8 Great Britain

Keeps us in with a VERY slim chance!

1. Italy 9
2. Ukraine 9
3. Poland 6
4. Great Britain 3
5. Netherlands 0
6. Romania 0

bells401
15th April 2009, 06:02
habs out first round :D

schmenke
15th April 2009, 18:27
Most likely, as indicated in my pool picks :mark:

BTCC2
16th April 2009, 14:50
Great Britain 3-2 Netherlands

1. Italy 9
2. Ukraine 8
3. Poland 7
4. Great Britain 6
5. Netherlands 0
6. Romania 0

Ukraine v Romania and Poland v Italy later tonight.

BTCC2
16th April 2009, 23:06
Ukraine 7-0 Romania
Poland 2-4 Italy

1. Italy 12
2. Ukraine 11
3. Poland 7
4. Great Britain 6
5. Netherlands 0
6. Romainia 0

BTCC2
17th April 2009, 23:58
Netherlands 5-1 Romania
Italy 2-0 Ukraine
Poland 1-2 Great Britain (After OverTime) :D :D :D

1. Italy 15 +22
2. Ukraine 11 +12
3. Great Britain 8 +5
4. Poland 8 +5
5. Netherlands 3 -7
6. Romania 0 -37

I think this shows just how much progress we are beginning to make in International Ice Hockey!!! I'm so happy!

A.F.F.
18th April 2009, 23:34
So, it looks like Tavares will be with the Islanders as they won the draft lottery.

Some of the goalies are on fire at the time of playoffs. How come Kiprusoff isn't ?? :mark:

N. Jones
19th April 2009, 01:31
Ovechkin is trying to win the series by himself. He and the rest of the offensive stars need to play more as a team. Once they do the goals will come.

I don't know how to rate BOS/MON, Game 2 starts soon.

PIT weathered the storm and I think they can handle Philly the rest of the way.

Everyone picked Carolina to win the series and I wonder if the Hurricanes players believed the hype...

SJ/ANA is going to be an upset because I believe San Jose is cursed in the playoffs (for some reason).

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2009, 03:52
I would NEVER pick the Hurricanes over the Devils, you never bet against Marty Brodeur in the first round, espeically when that team won all those games with backup goalies most of the season. The Devils are the team that will give Boston the hard time, not Washington. Ovechkin will wear down and they don't have the goalies, and the battle of Pennsylvania will take its toll on the winner.

A.F.F.
20th April 2009, 09:44
SJ/ANA is going to be an upset because I believe San Jose is cursed in the playoffs (for some reason).

I'm not unhappy about it at all :bounce: Ducks ruled their second win !!

schmenke
20th April 2009, 15:59
...Everyone picked Carolina to win the series ...(for some reason).

I didn't :mark:

I picked a Boston - Detroit final.

A.F.F.
21st April 2009, 13:38
Hey, not a single mention about Juniors.... Like how Finland whiped Canada's arse in Championships by taking the bronze in a shoot-out :D

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2009, 04:38
Hey, not a single mention about Juniors.... Like how Finland whiped Canada's arse in Championships by taking the bronze in a shoot-out :D

It's the under 18's...the ugly step child of the World Championship levels. The World's are not a big deal to us over here, since most of the top pro's are busy with NHL playoffs, and us Canadians get cranked only for the Under 20's (WJHC).

Congrats to Finland on the Bronze, but the Canadians have a notoriously poor record in Bronze medal games. Either we are going for Gold, or we don't care it seems.

Also BTCC, congrats to your British team. It does seem you guys are starting to come to the top of that pool. Maybe 10 years from now they are in the A pool at the Olympics and World Championships.

schmenke
23rd April 2009, 14:44
Go Flames go :dozey:

A.F.F.
23rd April 2009, 15:30
Well, at least OJ finally what was suppose to do in the team....

Habs out, hurray....

Mark in Oshawa
25th April 2009, 05:43
Go Flames go :dozey:

Schmenke...look at the bright side. One, you are cheering for a team close to you. Two, the Hab's were life and death to make the playoffs, so it isnt' like you didn't have time to prepare for it. Three, Gainey will have half of these stiffs gone next year and you get an almost Brand spanking new team next year. What is more, you could have a Quebec owner ( although Gillett has been a really good owner really ) who might change the direction of the club.

Sometimes you need a kick in the teeth to rebuild. The problem is with you Hab's fans you still think Sam Pollock is running the NHL and only having to outsmart Harold Ballard to win Cups. This is the new reality and you Montreal fans better get used to the fact you guys can suck just like the Leafs do....

As for me...I was going to root for Calgary at the start of the playoffs and the Bruins were always a favourite in this burg since we were once the junior team affiliated with the B's ( hence the Orr, Middleton, O'Reilly, Cashman, Awrey connection)

Garry Walker
25th April 2009, 10:35
Sharks (and thornton) dissapointing again. The moment the important times come, he disappears.

Mark in Oshawa
25th April 2009, 15:44
Sharks (and thornton) dissapointing again. The moment the important times come, he disappears.

It is the reason he will NEVER be any more than a bit player on the Canadian Olympic team next year, if he is asked to come out for it at all. Many in the hockey community figured this was the year he had to put up or shut up. He has shut up it appears. He would make a perfect Montreal Canadien....lol

A.F.F.
28th April 2009, 08:40
Three out of four from west. Only Calgary failed my pickems.

Go Ducks :hot:

A.F.F.
5th May 2009, 08:47
Anybody following IIHF 2009 tournament in Switzerland? First playoff pairs are clear. Finland facing USA tomorrow. It's going to be an interesting one :)

schmenke
7th May 2009, 00:11
Finns out of the semis. Too bad, they looked like that had a strong team this year.

janneppi
7th May 2009, 07:12
Fortunately they played badly yesterday, had they gone through to loose to Russia or to Sweden after that, it would piss me off even more.

Mark in Oshawa
9th May 2009, 00:29
Canada knocks off the Swede's, the Yanks lose to the Russians....bringing us a rematch from last year. Should be interesting.....

Schmenke, it says Go Bruins Go on your signature, you do realize you will never be allowed back in Montreal if people there saw that.....

A.F.F.
12th May 2009, 09:18
Canucks out :(

Now if Carolina and Ducks loose, there will be only Detroit to cheer for.

schmenke
12th May 2009, 14:25
Canucks out :(

Yay!! :bounce:

I would have absolutely puked if I'd seen Sundin hoist the cup :dozey:

Mark, Montrealers respect a good hockey team and most are now rooting for the Bruins :)

edv
12th May 2009, 15:31
I am happy about Pens-Caps now going to Game 7.
As a neutral fan of those teams, it is a pleasure to watch them play.
Can't wait to see the Red Wings against either of those 2 in the Finals!

veeten
12th May 2009, 15:46
Mark, Montrealers respect a good hockey team and most are now rooting for the Bruins :)

schmenke, are you sure about that?... ;) :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cr89xbl26g :laugh:

A.F.F.
12th May 2009, 16:36
I am happy about Pens-Caps now going to Game 7.
As a neutral fan of those teams, it is a pleasure to watch them play.
Can't wait to see the Red Wings against either of those 2 in the Finals!

No no no.... the finale will be between Ducks and Hurricanes ;)

veeten
12th May 2009, 17:02
Go Caps! :D

Mark in Oshawa
13th May 2009, 13:44
Yay!! :bounce:

I would have absolutely puked if I'd seen Sundin hoist the cup :dozey:

You have to put that shovel down....cuz there is a posse coming from Montreal to bury your @ss!!!

Montrealers like only ONE team....And it has been my experience the pseudo Montrealers that cheer for the Habs around here seem to think there are no other teams worthy of their time as well.

Which is fine...but with the way the league is now, be prepared to wait a LOOOONNNG time before the Hab's win again. Just like us Leafs fans have had to find other teams to cheer for.

However..I must be the kiss of death, I was rooting for the Flames and Canucks and both are gone. I want the Pens to win and the Bruins to win...so I suspect we will see the Caps and Hurricanes in the Eastern Final now..lol.

As for the West...Well Chicago doesn't seem to grasp they are not supposed to be there, and maybe that bodes well for them but I suspect whomever survives the Ducks/Wings series will show them the level of committment they don't have yet. Just like the young Oilers of the 80's, they haven't lost a big one that will show them the level of committment required.

veeten
14th May 2009, 13:08
Awwww... they lost. :(

but, they had a great season... :) and they'll be back to win it all next year. :D

Tazio
14th May 2009, 15:45
KEXkjKb7lSE&feature=related
:p :

Mark in Oshawa
17th May 2009, 14:18
Tazio...don't depress me with that bit of reality. Let me have the illusion......

edv
25th May 2009, 00:01
Did this thread temporarily go to sleep because we were all mesmerized my Malkin? As I said before, I'm wringing my hands anticipating a really good Final series!

Mark in Oshawa
25th May 2009, 13:36
Edv, it will be Detroit/Pittsburgh for sure...and I think Detroit will have their hands full but win in 7...

of course, I have been wrong all spring, so why get this one right?

edv
27th May 2009, 01:49
Tragic News, Peter Zezel has shuffled off this mortal coil today, only 44 years old.

R.I.P. Peter

A.F.F.
27th May 2009, 09:50
I have my finges crossed on Detroit from now on.....

bells401
28th May 2009, 18:20
I have my finges crossed on Detroit from now on.....

No worries the way the wings are playing they cannot be beaten, even by pens :)

A.F.F.
1st June 2009, 09:50
Two down Detroit, two to go :up:

Mark in Oshawa
10th June 2009, 20:09
Can you boys say Game 7? I knew you could..and I said Detroit in a tough series will win in 7. I am rooting for neither side, because I like a lot about both teams. No bad guys in this one...

As for Peter Zezel, a true loss. I was on the road when he passed away and we really miss men of that quality in hockey. He wasn't just an ex pro, he did a lot for minor hockey and the immigrant communities being exposed and introduced to hockey in Toronto. The guy bent over backwards to be there for people and was truly a first class gentleman.

Only the good die young...godspeed Peter....

A.F.F.
12th June 2009, 13:53
Tonight is the night. Seventh game..... Go Detroit :bounce:

A.F.F.
13th June 2009, 05:11
**** it :dozey:

harvick#1
13th June 2009, 05:20
What a game, finally someone other than Detroit, although very little class from the fans with the trophy presentations.

WTG PITT!!! :D

Mark in Oshawa
13th June 2009, 16:23
What a game, finally someone other than Detroit, although very little class from the fans with the trophy presentations.

WTG PITT!!! :D

They were not THAT hostile. Show me a crowd like that who wouldn't have some crankiness after that hard battle. Times are tough in Detroit, and they I think really had their heart set on another Cup. I actually think they were booing Gary Bettman. God knows if this was a game played in Canada, Bettman would be lucky to not need bodyguards. He is NOT popular up here and I suspect the Windsor contingent was the source of the booing.

OH well, it was an excellent final game and I enjoyed seeing Sid hoist ole Stanley. The kid is a remarkable guy for 21 and a Captain of a Stanley Cup winning team.

Mark in Oshawa
13th June 2009, 16:27
BTCC2, by the way, your theory of how good British Hockey is will be tested this September. Both the Hamilton Bulldogs and Toronto Marlies of the AHL (one step below the NHL) will be coming over to play an exhibition game this fall's training camp season and they are supposed to be playing Belfast of your league. Most of the AHL guys are just shy of NHL caliber with a few promising prospects who might be in the NHL later on in the next year or sooner. It may be the closest one of the UK teams gets to playing a NHL quality team, and although it is preseason for the AHL guys and the UK guys, it might be an interesting litmus test for how far the British league has come.

A.F.F.
1st July 2009, 20:59
Apparently Black Hawks are building a Stanley Cup team for next season. What trades do you guys think as succesfull for both, the team and the palyer, in advance?

My dream would be Saku Koivu centering Selänne in Ducks :up:

schmenke
2nd July 2009, 14:30
Signing Hossa didn't come cheap, which puts serious limitations on the team budget. They didn't have room in their budget cap to resign Khabibuin. Also, they lilkely won't have the cash next year to renegotiate both Toews and Kane. One of the two will have to go.

On the other hand, Deadmonton acquired a badly needed net-minder :mark:

Saku to the Ducks... I'd puke :s

The Habs dump Higgens and pick up Gomez :up:

BTCC2
4th July 2009, 16:11
BTCC2, by the way, your theory of how good British Hockey is will be tested this September. Both the Hamilton Bulldogs and Toronto Marlies of the AHL (one step below the NHL) will be coming over to play an exhibition game this fall's training camp season and they are supposed to be playing Belfast of your league. Most of the AHL guys are just shy of NHL caliber with a few promising prospects who might be in the NHL later on in the next year or sooner. It may be the closest one of the UK teams gets to playing a NHL quality team, and although it is preseason for the AHL guys and the UK guys, it might be an interesting litmus test for how far the British league has come.

Will be hosted by Edinburgh Capitals, don't hold much hope of them doing much but Belfast could cause a shock. I'll be getting my tickets straight away.

Mark in Oshawa
6th July 2009, 07:19
Will be hosted by Edinburgh Capitals, don't hold much hope of them doing much but Belfast could cause a shock. I'll be getting my tickets straight away.
\
You make sure you give us a review of the game when they get to it.

Mark in Oshawa
6th July 2009, 07:20
Signing Hossa didn't come cheap, which puts serious limitations on the team budget. They didn't have room in their budget cap to resign Khabibuin. Also, they lilkely won't have the cash next year to renegotiate both Toews and Kane. One of the two will have to go.

On the other hand, Deadmonton acquired a badly needed net-minder :mark:

Saku to the Ducks... I'd puke :s

The Habs dump Higgens and pick up Gomez :up:

Schmenke...they are already calling the Habs "Team Smurf" in Montreal with Gionta, Gomez and Cammaleri. I like the pickups tho, they all are fast guys and that works.

Beats Burke's first signing, COLTON ORR. Geeze....gonna goon our way to a golf course tee time in April this time around...

BTCC2
7th July 2009, 18:06
\
You make sure you give us a review of the game when they get to it.

Will do

BTCC2
15th July 2009, 14:34
Sadly due to financial difficulties, both Manchester Phoenix and Basingstoke Bison have withdrawn from the UK Elite League. The two teams will now compete in the English Premier League.

So we are down to an 8 team leauge...Not what we need when we are trying to attract more fans to Ice Hockey.

A.F.F.
14th August 2009, 00:01
My dream would be Saku Koivu centering Selänne in Ducks :up:

:bounce:

A dream came true :)

DexDexter
14th August 2009, 09:05
:bounce:

A dream came true :)

Yep, it did, at least five years too late. It's still going to be interesting, though.

Mark in Oshawa
15th August 2009, 17:56
Sadly due to financial difficulties, both Manchester Phoenix and Basingstoke Bison have withdrawn from the UK Elite League. The two teams will now compete in the English Premier League.

So we are down to an 8 team leauge...Not what we need when we are trying to attract more fans to Ice Hockey.

So you have two leagues of hockey now? That's just stupid....
It isn't a wonder hockey is a fringe sport in the UK, it seems it is run by fools...

raikk
30th September 2009, 07:17
So hockey is starting up :D how bout those super swedes for Toronto in preseason :D and schmenke the smurfs are goin down Thursday :p :

A.F.F.
30th September 2009, 20:18
I'm all ready for this season.

Can't wait to see Saku and Teemu together, hopefully in the same line as often as possible.

:hot:

schmenke
2nd October 2009, 14:46
So hockey is starting up :D how bout those super swedes for Toronto in preseason :D and schmenke the smurfs are goin down Thursday

Ahem... :s tareup: :D

It's still early but it looks like the Leafs have the same problems as last season... penalty killying :mark:

Mark in Oshawa
3rd October 2009, 05:49
Ahem... :s tareup: :D

It's still early but it looks like the Leafs have the same problems as last season... penalty killying :mark:

That and Vesa Toskala cant seem to make that big save when they really need him to. He better this year, the Monster is sitting in the wings, and that 3rd string guy MacDonald might be worthy of a look in the short term too.

THe plus side? The Leafs will make life miserable for anyone playing them. From what I have been told, the Habs had no claim on that game, the Leafs pretty much coughed it up to them on a platter. The Habs didn't out play Toronto at all.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd October 2009, 05:51
So hockey is starting up :D how bout those super swedes for Toronto in preseason :D and schmenke the smurfs are goin down Thursday :p :

I give them the big thumbs up from what I have seen and heard so far. Would rather have a 28 year old Mats Sundin tho as my Swede.......oh well..glad he retired happy...he is a class guy.

A.F.F.
3rd October 2009, 21:01
What a great game for Antti Niemi today, having a shutout in front of his home audience when Black Hawks won Panthers. :up:

Mark in Oshawa
3rd October 2009, 21:03
What a great game for Antti Niemi today, having a shutout in front of his home audience when Black Hawks won Panthers. :up:

Good for him. Glad to see the Black Hawks playing good hockey too....they are a fun team. Best uniforms in the NHL.....

A.F.F.
3rd October 2009, 21:04
To be truthfull, he has to keep on delivering those solid performances in order to challenge Huet so..... hopefully he'll succeed.

Mark in Oshawa
5th October 2009, 06:28
To be truthfull, he has to keep on delivering those solid performances in order to challenge Huet so..... hopefully he'll succeed.

Huet has proven to be a good backup, not comfortable in the starter's role. Therefore, your countryman has a shot.....

schmenke
5th October 2009, 16:48
Yep, I think we'll see more ice time from Niemi :up:

Looking forward to a coupla 'dogs and a pint or two at the 'Dome tomorrow night :up: ... (ahem, properly attired of course ;) )

Mark in Oshawa
6th October 2009, 15:51
Yep, I think we'll see more ice time from Niemi :up:

Looking forward to a coupla 'dogs and a pint or two at the 'Dome tomorrow night :up: ... (ahem, properly attired of course ;) )]

You are wearing your Hab's jersey to a Flames game?????????

schmenke
6th October 2009, 16:27
]

You are wearing your Hab's jersey to a Flames game?????????

You bet! Watch the game tonight and you'll see as many tri-couleurs as the C of red :)

veeten
6th October 2009, 16:34

Mark in Oshawa
7th October 2009, 00:46
You bet! Watch the game tonight and you'll see as many tri-couleurs as the C of red :)

Didn't realize it was the Habs in town already. Of course u will wear the jersey,what was I thinking.....

Garry Walker
13th October 2009, 08:33
So Calgary Flames get a 5:0 advantage in less than 12 minutes and then lose the game. Wow.

A.F.F.
13th October 2009, 08:58
So Calgary Flames get a 5:0 advantage in less than 12 minutes and then lose the game. Wow.

Yep.... unbelievable.

Toskala also didn't have the greatest og nights :dozey: The guy is turning in to a joke....

schmenke
13th October 2009, 16:04
Toskala is not having the greatest of seasons... :s

Mark in Oshawa
14th October 2009, 04:39
Toskala keeps getting little nagging injuries, doesn't trust his defence (for good reason) and just cant get into a groove. That said, the team in front of him hasn't any confidence in him, but I will point out they haven't won for MacDonald or the Monster either.

I like Toskala. I think though things just are not meant to be in Toronto and Maybe he isn't meant to be a starter in the NHL. Shame...but likely true.

harvick#1
14th October 2009, 18:08
how bout them Aves!!! yeah its early, but for a team that was suppose to finish dead last in the western conference is in 1st place :D

A.F.F.
14th October 2009, 21:51
how bout them Aves!!! yeah its early, but for a team that was suppose to finish dead last in the western conference is in 1st place :D

Yep, along with Coyotes.

I'm amazed.

Mark in Oshawa
14th October 2009, 23:13
It is early.....teams out of the gate fast who are not expected to do well have missed the playoffs before. Last year, the Coyotes did the same.....and missed by a mile.

A.F.F.
15th October 2009, 07:21
I know mark but even the start of the season is better than I expected. Things most probably get even when the season gets older...

Garry Walker
15th October 2009, 11:12
Rangers are surprising. Before the start of the season most analysts counted them as one of the weakest teams, but now they have 6 straight wins. Not bad, but of course, only the start of the season.

Avs are stronger than expected too.

raikk
16th October 2009, 05:21
haha wow Toronto sucks.. hopefully It's just a losing streak though and nothing more then that...

A.F.F.
16th October 2009, 12:05
WTF is happening at Minnesota ?? Haven't seen their games yet but scores aren't too appealing. What's fundamentaly wrong now ?

schmenke
16th October 2009, 15:11
...hopefully It's just a losing streak though and nothing more then that...

Same with the Habs :s
I predict a coach change soon...

Mark in Oshawa
18th October 2009, 07:43
Same with the Habs :s
I predict a coach change soon...

Hey...you aint watching the Leafs....no coach firing coming, and they keep on losing...

schmenke
19th October 2009, 14:46
...you aint watching the Leafs....

That much is true :p : :D

raikk
20th October 2009, 08:07
On the Hour Strombo asked Burke ''surely you can't trade the whole team?''

Burke:''watch me''

http://sturmdesjahrhunderts.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/facepalm.jpg

schmenke
20th October 2009, 14:54
Expect the Leafs to improve once Kessel is in the lineup. I'm sure there'll be some line shuffling, with Kessel, Ponikarovsky and perhaps Blake as the no. 1 line.

As for the Habs... they seriously miss Markov, especially on the pp :mark:

raikk
21st October 2009, 04:19
Expect the Leafs to improve once Kessel is in the lineup. I'm sure there'll be some line shuffling, with Kessel, Ponikarovsky and perhaps Blake as the no. 1 line.

As for the Habs... they seriously miss Markov, especially on the pp :mark:

Blake shouldn't be anywhere near that first line :biglaugh: apparently The Islanders used to call him NASCAR because all he would do is skate around the rink fast and crashed into anything in sight.. If I had a penny for every shot that guy missed the net I would have my own company lol.

schmenke
21st October 2009, 16:47
Well if not Blake, then who? I get the impression the left wing roster is a little weak. I noticed that coach Wilson is playing Hagman again. Maybe him, but I always figured he's more of a defensive winger.

I guess your impression of Blake is sorta like Laroque with the Habs. Everytime he gets possession of the puck he seems to be saying to himself "What do I do now, what do I do now?!"

raikk
22nd October 2009, 06:42
If There were no trades from now till Kessel's return I would do
Ponikarovsky-Stajan-Kessel
Stajan is a good 2 way player with decent hockey sense and piles up assists, Poni has size and was on left wing(I think) when he was on the first line with Mats Sundin and Antropov and Kessel assumes his natural position .

Having said that Stalberg would be an interesting experiment to put on left wing, he has speed,size and can keep up with a speedy Kessel.

I want to see Wilson do something similar.

schmenke
22nd October 2009, 15:11
Islanders beat the 'Canes last night. The Leafs are now the only winless team... :s

Shutout for Niemi in Chicago :up:

Mark in Oshawa
24th October 2009, 05:17
Well if not Blake, then who? I get the impression the left wing roster is a little weak. I noticed that coach Wilson is playing Hagman again. Maybe him, but I always figured he's more of a defensive winger.

I guess your impression of Blake is sorta like Laroque with the Habs. Everytime he gets possession of the puck he seems to be saying to himself "What do I do now, what do I do now?!"

Blake does all of that but looks like a man with his hair on fire. If he scored on just one more shot out of 10 than he does, he would have 70 goals. He takes sooo many bad shots.

Kessel needs a center. Burke's grand plan pressupposed the forwards would score at the rate they did last year, but the sad fact is, Kessel works better paired with a guy like Marc Savard. Matt Stajan or Grabovoski isn't Marc Savard, and Kessel may not start until the Leaf's are 0-10

Just remember, what is the difference between the Leafs and a Triangle? As of this writing, at least the Triangle has 3 points....

raikk
27th October 2009, 06:19
The leafs won Kaberle got 4 assists and a goal, Hagman a hat trick and the Monster was solid

The world can start spinning again people :)

A.F.F.
27th October 2009, 07:17
Pikku Hakki was on fire last night. I'm just not too happy it had to against Ducks :mark:

Can someone please tell what is happening at Minnesota ??? Why only thing they do is loose?? Why ?

schmenke
27th October 2009, 13:47
... Hagman a hat trick ...

Yep. Moved me up a notch in my pool :D

Um, yes, I drafted a Leaf... 2 to be exact :erm:

And no Habs... :uhoh:

Mark in Oshawa
4th December 2009, 23:43
Well Schmenke, 100 Years ago today your Montreal Canadiens were born. A happy 100 and I hope the next 100 years aint as good as the last 100.....but that is just the snarky Leaf Fan in me. You didn't have to put up with 40 years of stupid owners and now the king of truculence. So put it down to envy eh? I do know I regret being on the road and being unable to watch the pregame ceremony. When you honour a team that good, they fly in the best they can find. Apparently Mr. Hockey Gordie Howe will be there along with god knows how many Montreal greats like Believeau and Pocket Rocket Richard.

AS I said, i was listening to HNIC radio on Sirius and they dedicated an hour to this thing, so enjoy, and lets hope that both our teams make the playoffs this year!

Mark in Oshawa
23rd December 2009, 05:22
It is World Junior Hockey IIHF style again!! Just looking forward to this Christmas tradition. Canada beat the Finn's 3-0 tonight in a pre tourney game and I am stoked for it! That said, is anyone outside of Canada giving a rat's behind? Probably not.....

DexDexter
23rd December 2009, 18:30
It is World Junior Hockey IIHF style again!! Just looking forward to this Christmas tradition. Canada beat the Finn's 3-0 tonight in a pre tourney game and I am stoked for it! That said, is anyone outside of Canada giving a rat's behind? Probably not.....

Don't think so, since the games are on a pay channel over here. Don't know about Sweden, nobody else could care less.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd December 2009, 18:41
Don't think so, since the games are on a pay channel over here. Don't know about Sweden, nobody else could care less.

That's a shame. The World Junior tourney is a great big deal in Canada. We have always embraced Junior hockey and it is big ratings for TSN's coverage of all the games. It is why the IIHF gave in tho and gives Canada hosting rights for 2 out of 3 of these tournaments every 3 years because of this love we have for this level of hockey.

IT is a shame tho. We would love our enthusiasm for this tournament to be shared.....

DexDexter
23rd December 2009, 20:35
That's a shame. The World Junior tourney is a great big deal in Canada. We have always embraced Junior hockey and it is big ratings for TSN's coverage of all the games. It is why the IIHF gave in tho and gives Canada hosting rights for 2 out of 3 of these tournaments every 3 years because of this love we have for this level of hockey.

IT is a shame tho. We would love our enthusiasm for this tournament to be shared.....

It was a big deal over here back in 99? when we won it here in Helsinki but these days people have so many alternatives and if you can't see something without paying, that's not good.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd December 2009, 20:43
It was a big deal over here back in 99? when we won it here in Helsinki but these days people have so many alternatives and if you can't see something without paying, that's not good.

I think a sports station in Finland should cultivate it. IT wasn't a big deal in Canada when the tourney first started in the late 70's. Canada didn't win it much (we sent a club team over to represent us rather than a true national team) and even when the national program got going, we didn't take to the tournement really until TSN, our first national sports network started pushing the program and the fact we were in a quest to win it. Then Canada had a string of 5 wins in a row, and it is now a Christmas staple for people who even just casually watch hockey. The networks there are making a mistake selling it as a pay per view.

Mark in Oshawa
14th January 2010, 23:59
My Finnish Friends, I heard that Selanne is likely going to miss the Olympics....THAT sucks.

One of the classiest guys in the sport should be there for his 5th Olympics....

harvick#1
15th January 2010, 00:21
My Finnish Friends, I heard that Selanne is likely going to miss the Olympics....THAT sucks.

One of the classiest guys in the sport should be there for his 5th Olympics....

whats even worse for Selanne, he just got off the injury list :(

even though its a broken jaw, He might still be able to play with a special protected helmet. its a shame cause this was most likely his final Olympic game, I really hope for a good recovery for the guy

Mark in Oshawa
15th January 2010, 04:58
whats even worse for Selanne, he just got off the injury list :(

even though its a broken jaw, He might still be able to play with a special protected helmet. its a shame cause this was most likely his final Olympic game, I really hope for a good recovery for the guy

I hope so. He has always been one of my favourite hockey players, going right back to his 77 goal season as a rookie with the now almost forgotten Winnipeg Jets.

DexDexter
15th January 2010, 07:18
I hope so. He has always been one of my favourite hockey players, going right back to his 77 goal season as a rookie with the now almost forgotten Winnipeg Jets.

I hear he may be able to recover in time for the Olympics. Selänne is probably the best Finnish hockey player of all time but I'm afraid he's not as good as he was in the past, same goes for Saku Koivu. In a way their presence in the Olympic team is not entirely positive thing since they will play a lot regardless of how well they are playing simply because of the names in the back of their jerseys. A more worrying thing IMO is the injury of Tuomo Ruutu, since Ruutu and Mikko Koivu are an excellent duo and the two guys that can make it or break it for us. At least our goaltending is in "order" with Bäckström and Kiprusoff.

Garry Walker
15th January 2010, 12:19
I hear he may be able to recover in time for the Olympics. Selänne is probably the best Finnish hockey player of all time but I'm afraid he's not as good as he was in the past, same goes for Saku Koivu. In a way their presence in the Olympic team is not entirely positive thing since they will play a lot regardless of how well they are playing simply because of the names in the back of their jerseys. A more worrying thing IMO is the injury of Tuomo Ruutu, since Ruutu and Mikko Koivu are an excellent duo and the two guys that can make it or break it for us. At least our goaltending is in "order" with Bäckström and Kiprusoff.

How long is Ruutu injured for?

What is up with Detroit? They only lost Hossa to free agency and at the moment the finalists from last year are struggling to reach PO?

AndyRAC
15th January 2010, 13:12
Poor Detroit.......my heart bleeds for 'em.

Watched the Leafs vs Penguins last Saturday on ESPN, and thought the Leafs were pretty average.

Mark in Oshawa
15th January 2010, 15:29

You guys are a dark horse threat to win, and I always cheer for the Finn's over any other nation outside of Canada. You are the perennial underdogs...

Best Finn ever? No question, Jari Kurri.....

Mark in Oshawa
15th January 2010, 15:32

What is up with Detroit? They only lost Hossa to free agency and at the moment the finalists from last year are struggling to reach PO?

Detroit is finally having time catch up to their older players, the younger players drafted are not filling the holes, and as for Hossa leaving, that is a salary cap thing. Chicago was willing to give him more.

The Cap is the one thing that stops teams from really building a dynasty with the same players. If they draft and trade well, then maybe they can stay on top. What Detroit has done in the last 20 years in the period prior to the cap, and the years after it is truly amazing, but this year, injuries and circumstance are killing them. THAT, and Osgood really was awful in net. Jimmy Howard is starting to play beyond what people thought he was capable of tho, and maybe that saves them in the playoffs...providing they make them.

Mark in Oshawa
15th January 2010, 15:34
Poor Detroit.......my heart bleeds for 'em.

Watched the Leafs vs Penguins last Saturday on ESPN, and thought the Leafs were pretty average.

If you think the Leaf's are pretty average, you would be a Leaf's fan. I am actually a realistic Leaf's fan, and they just plain suck most nights. Mind you, last night they tuned up the Flyers pretty good......4-0 I believe.

I figure the Leafs will consider this year a success if they don't finish in the bottom 3 of the league, hence saving their draft pick they traded to the Bruins from ending up a potential number one. The idea of Taylor Hall in a Bruins uniform probably is giving GM Brian Burke an ulcer....

AndyRAC
15th January 2010, 16:49
If you think the Leaf's are pretty average, you would be a Leaf's fan. I am actually a realistic Leaf's fan, and they just plain suck most nights. Mind you, last night they tuned up the Flyers pretty good......4-0 I believe.

I figure the Leafs will consider this year a success if they don't finish in the bottom 3 of the league, hence saving their draft pick they traded to the Bruins from ending up a potential number one. The idea of Taylor Hall in a Bruins uniform probably is giving GM Brian Burke an ulcer....

No, I'm not a Leafs fan, but I'm aware of their history and tradition, and how long it's been since their last Cup win. I actually want a Canadian team to win it, for the first time since 1993.

schmenke
15th January 2010, 19:56
If you think the Leaf's are pretty average, you would be a Leaf's fan. I am actually a realistic Leaf's fan, and they just plain suck most nights. Mind you, last night they tuned up the Flyers pretty good......4-0 I believe.....

No big accomplishment in my opinion :mark: .
The Flyers are having a miserable season. What the heck happened with Carter? :s

harvick#1
15th January 2010, 20:37
hell I'm just happy the Aves are shoving it all the "experts faces" who all predicted then to finish 30th in the league!!!!! and the team is extremely young and very talented.

Detriot lost alot more than just Hossa. Conklin also left, as did Kopecky and a few others. Injuries have also plagued them. but for once Detriot is finally sitting out of the playoffs. time for some new faces in there once in awhile

Tomi
15th January 2010, 21:51
Best Finn ever? No question, Jari Kurri.....

Agree and by far, then Saku and after him the Finnish Fläsä even he has done a bunch of goals.

Mark in Oshawa
15th January 2010, 22:24
No big accomplishment in my opinion :mark: .
The Flyers are having a miserable season. What the heck happened with Carter? :s

Carter I would have had on the Olympic team if it was picked a few years ago. AS for the Flyers, they are ahead of the Leaf's....lol..therefore if the Leaf's beat em, that is a good thing.

Oh well, at least there is a plan right? Burke says he has a plan...right? Oh god...may they win a freaking cup before I am pushing up daisy's....I was 2 when the last one was won.

DexDexter
17th January 2010, 08:18

I don't know how long Tuomo will be out, all I know that he got the injury in a fight. Hopefully back for Olympics. They guy has had his fair share of injuries in his career.

DexDexter
17th January 2010, 08:20
Agree and by far, then Saku and after him the Finnish Fläsä even he has done a bunch of goals.

I disagree, Jari Kurri played for the best team in NHL in the prime of his career while Selanne has done huge amounts of goals for crappy teams. Saku is a good leader, but never was as good as Teemu.

Mark in Oshawa
19th January 2010, 02:09
I disagree, Jari Kurri played for the best team in NHL in the prime of his career while Selanne has done huge amounts of goals for crappy teams. Saku is a good leader, but never was as good as Teemu.

Kurri shouldn't be punished for playing with Gretzky. If he wasn't talented enough, he wouldn't have stayed on that wing, and he wouldn't have been part of the trade to LA either.

Jari played well when Wayne wasn't around too. That said, Teemu I wont knock either. I would put Teemu only behind Jari because his numbers didn't stay as high over the long career the way Jari did. That I put down to injuries I think also....

schmenke
19th January 2010, 14:35
Not a great game for the Flames last night :s They played like a bunch of amateurs.
If they keep playing like they have lately, they'll have trouble making the playoffs :mark:
And both Kipper and Jokinen off to the Olympics... :mark:

DexDexter
19th January 2010, 15:37
Not a great game for the Flames last night :s They played like a bunch of amateurs.
If they keep playing like they have lately, they'll have trouble making the playoffs :mark:

Actually we don't need either of them really. Bäckström is as good as Kipru and a much nicer character and Jokinen doesn't get to play as much as he would like and is likely to underperform like usually in the national team. Anyway, from Kipper's point of view it's good that he's in since he was considered almost like a traitor over here for taking a holiday with a smallish injury in the last Olympics.

Mark in Oshawa
19th January 2010, 16:04

Kipper told the Finnish hockey Federation either he was the starter or to forget about him...so they passed on him. In a month we shall see how smart that decision was, but based on last night and the pasting they took from San Jose, Kipper is in a funk...NOT that he had a lot of help. Looked like the Flames were not skating at all...

edv
19th January 2010, 16:22
A bad night for Alberta...combined the teams lost 15-1 !!

Mark in Oshawa
19th January 2010, 17:29
A bad night for Alberta...combined the teams lost 15-1 !!

hehheh....just another two games for the Leafs..lol...well even they didn't suck THAT bad, heck they beat Nashville in Nashville for the first time. Of course, they only go there every other year but still......

DexDexter
19th January 2010, 19:24
Kipper told the Finnish hockey Federation either he was the starter or to forget about him...so they passed on him. In a month we shall see how smart that decision was, but based on last night and the pasting they took from San Jose, Kipper is in a funk...NOT that he had a lot of help. Looked like the Flames were not skating at all...

I predict that he will be the starter for the first few games, isn't too convincing and is replaced by Bäckström, after which Kipru leaves the team in the middle of the tournament to have a nice holiday...We shall see...

Tomi
19th January 2010, 19:28
i my team little kipru would not fit, when players start making conditions, they play for them self not the team.

Mark in Oshawa
19th January 2010, 19:58
i my team little kipru would not fit, when players start making conditions, they play for them self not the team.

That's it Tomi. I know Roberto Luongo knows Martin Brodeur will get most if not all the starts, and so does Marc-Andre Fleury with Canada, but neither one will ever say a word because you play for the name on the front of the jersey in Canada. The second a Canadian player forgets that, they are not asked back and it is well known.

schmenke
20th January 2010, 00:41
... Bäckström is as good as Kipru ....

I agree. Also, I would have liked to see Antti Niemi on the team.

schmenke
26th January 2010, 15:39
Another loss for the Flames. That's now 7 straight :s

Mark in Oshawa
26th January 2010, 17:23
Another loss for the Flames. That's now 7 straight :s

They are my second team and I rely on them to brighten my day when the stupid Leaf's have lost another one......thank god the Jr. A Generals are playing decent hockey...

A.F.F.
26th January 2010, 17:32
Antti Niemi has been phenomenal :up: Tuukka Rask has also been very good.

It seems that team Finland won't be having problems with goalie-sector in the future...

Mark in Oshawa
31st January 2010, 20:45
The Leaf's just cleaned HOUSE!!! Hagman, White, Stajan and one other no name to Calgary for Dion Phanuef and a bucket of pucks...or something. Then ole Burke isn't done, he ships Toskala and White(the man who couldn''t hit the ocean if he fell out of a boat) to Anaheim for Giguriere!

No matter what happens the rest of the way, one cannot say Brian Burke is afraid to make a change or two. WOW...the Leafs just got meaner, younger and maybe in some ways better down the road...

schmenke
1st February 2010, 15:01
I'd say the Flames got the better end of that deal. Phaneuf has seen better days. Good ridance.
Calgary needed an offensive shakeup and Stajan and Hagman might just provide that. Iginla had a good start to the season but has done bugger-all lately.
Jokinen can't seem to skate well. He needs to be parked in front of the net and have someone feed him the puck to score.
Rene Bourque has been holding that team together this season.

Hopefully now they'll have a chance at the playoffs.

They had a good game last night... against Deadmonton :dozey:

veeten
1st February 2010, 16:10
Caps are Hot! :hot: :D

Mark in Oshawa
1st February 2010, 19:32
:[/QUOTE]I'd say the Flames got the better end of that deal. Phaneuf has seen better days. Good ridance.
Calgary needed an offensive shakeup and Stajan and Hagman might just provide that. Iginla had a good start to the season but has done bugger-all lately.:[/QUOTE]

How you figure a 23 year old defensemen is done? You forget the skill this guy has? It is a case of him getting his head out of his @ss and working harder. Not sure what happened but he was a Sutter kind of guy. On the Flames front tho, Stajan and Hagman are so good they have the Leaf's in 15th place...just ripping up the league eh? Sorry, I think Stajan and Hagman are pretty good, but if Phaneuf plays well, Toronto is ahead. The steal you guys got and the one that bothers me is White. He is sneaky proficient and plays for a good price.

AS for Iggy, he has never had a center that could work with him. Too bad we didn't have him here with Sundin!!!
:[/QUOTE]Jokinen can't seem to skate well. He needs to be parked in front of the net and have someone feed him the puck to score.

They had a good game last night... against Deadmonton :dozey: [/QUOTE]

Jokinen isn't much of a skater but a good trigger man in the slot isn't anyting to be sneezed at. I Heard also Girodano is the real glue or unsung hero. I like the Flames now if they can get to the playoffs....

Mark in Oshawa
1st February 2010, 19:41
I'd say the Flames got the better end of that deal. Phaneuf has seen better days. Good ridance.
Calgary needed an offensive shakeup and Stajan and Hagman might just provide that. Iginla had a good start to the season but has done bugger-all lately.:

Phaneuf has seen better days? HE's 23!!!!!! He hasn't hit his prime really, and if he gets his head out of his @ss, he has Norris Trophy level talent. I don't get why they gave him to Toronto for Stajan and Hagman. Believe me, if they were really good Schmenke, Toronto wouldn't be so horrible on the PP and be 15th in the Conference. The steal for Calgary is White. He does quite well and isnt' a lot of dough.

Jokinen can't seem to skate well. He needs to be parked in front of the net and have someone feed him the puck to score.

They had a good game last night... against Deadmonton :dozey:

Jokinen has great hands, and you cant teach that.

schmenke
1st February 2010, 21:01
Phaneuf has seen better days? HE's 23!!!!!! He hasn't hit his prime really, and if he gets his head out of his @ss, he has Norris Trophy level talent. ...

I didn't mean age. Compared to the previous couple of seasons he's playing lousy. He's a good solid defenceman, but his offence has lacked punch this year, particularily on the pp.
He just seems to be lacking motivation this year. Hopefully the trade will do him some good.

Jokinen has great hands, and you cant teach that.

Yes, he has great hands, but the rest of him doesn't follow :p : Next time you're watching a Flames game, watch him in the neutral zone, he seems to skate in slow-mo. One he's penetrated, though, particularily in the slot, he's deadly.

Mark in Oshawa
1st February 2010, 21:19
I didn't mean age. Compared to the previous couple of seasons he's playing lousy. He's a good solid defenceman, but his offence has lacked punch this year, particularily on the pp.
He just seems to be lacking motivation this year. Hopefully the trade will do him some good.

Yes, he has great hands, but the rest of him doesn't follow :p : Next time you're watching a Flames game, watch him in the neutral zone, he seems to skate in slow-mo. One he's penetrated, though, particularily in the slot, he's deadly.

lol..the last time I saw the Flames they looked pretty good but they were after all, playing the Leafs!!!

Phaneuf's issues are all between his ears. What he is like now reminds me a lot of Pronger in the early years....and no one would suggest there is a team that wouldn't take a Chris Pronger.

A.F.F.
1st February 2010, 23:02
OJ has a big ego. Always had, always will... there are only a few players out there OJ respects, I think Iginla is one of them. But, other than them, our Olli-boy treats the rest badly. Hence, he doesn't gain any respect himself.. or at least leaderwise respect. IMO he has been lost ever since he was sold from Miami. There he was a star which he (or his ego) needed.

Mark in Oshawa
1st February 2010, 23:06
OJ has a big ego. Always had, always will... there are only a few players out there OJ respects, I think Iginla is one of them. But, other than them, our Olli-boy treats the rest badly. Hence, he doesn't gain any respect himself.. or at least leaderwise respect. IMO he has been lost ever since he was sold from Miami. There he was a star which he (or his ego) needed.

Well a lot of the talk in Calgary is that both trades of Phaneuf and the proposed deal of Jokinen to the Rangers is all about attitude. Neither guy was popular in the room. Olli I don't think will change, but Dion is younger, and he may have been shocked out of his complacency and ego. Most guys when traded for this reason early in their career often figure out they are not the biggest man on campus and it didn't do them any good to act that way.

A.F.F.
1st February 2010, 23:46
Well a lot of the talk in Calgary is that both trades of Phaneuf and the proposed deal of Jokinen to the Rangers is all about attitude. Neither guy was popular in the room. Olli I don't think will change, but Dion is younger, and he may have been shocked out of his complacency and ego. Most guys when traded for this reason early in their career often figure out they are not the biggest man on campus and it didn't do them any good to act that way.

I may have told this story before, can't remember but...

When Olli ( or Nasu as I like to call him) was a fresh junior world champion and Finnish national league champion, folks here called him The Chief. the name was a joke of course and told all the essential about his attitude. Unfortunately nobody told Nasu about the joke. So, he honestly thought he is The Chief. So, when he got in NHL with Kings if I recall right, they had a training game against Colorado. The Chief took his first shift and tackled one Peter Forsberg... real hard. When Forsberg started taking his gear from the ice, The Chief skated around him and yelled the one word he knew in english at that time; F**k !!!! Forsberg was like what's wrong with him and so were all the others.. until Olli's own teammates got shame of him. But The Chief continued ranting and raving on ice and it tooked Jarri Kurri from Colorado who finally got him stop.

So... Olli has changed and learned on the way... too bad he was so deep in the ditch he never reach the proper level :mark:

Then again, in Team Finland he has taken his role usually without swallowing and played relatively good :confused: Maybe he is patriotic ?? :p :

Tomi
1st February 2010, 23:53
Then again, in Team Finland he has taken his role usually without swallowing and played relatively good :confused: Maybe he is patriotic ?? :p :

I think when he has had an leading role in the first line-up, he has been quite good usually, but in second line-up average, in other words a mood player.
But ok player, for a "savolainen". :)

A.F.F.
2nd February 2010, 00:17
I'm curious what is his role going to be at Vancouver.. the center of the third line-up maybe?

Tomi
2nd February 2010, 00:19

A.F.F.
2nd February 2010, 00:20
Does not sound too good then, will be traded soon if thats the case.

No, I mean at the Olympics :)

Tomi
2nd February 2010, 00:25
No, I mean at the Olympics :)

ahh, is there going to be olympics again? If the first is around Saku, and second around Mikko, then there is not so much left, if they plan some offensive role for him.

A.F.F.
2nd February 2010, 00:27
No, the first is around Mikko, the second around Saku so third would be ideal for Nasu ... Maybe Peltonen and Pikku-Hakki to his side :up: They could actually do some damage.

Tomi
2nd February 2010, 00:33
No, the first is around Mikko, the second around Saku so third would be ideal for Nasu ... Maybe Peltonen and Pikku-Hakki to his side :up: They could actually do some damage.

Dont know, might work. I have a feeling it wont be a good olymipcs for our team this time, too many enjuries lately.
Do you know now when they play in Canada is it mostly standing waiting for commercials, or normal playing?

Mark in Oshawa
2nd February 2010, 01:40
Dont know, might work. I have a feeling it wont be a good olymipcs for our team this time, too many enjuries lately.
Do you know now when they play in Canada is it mostly standing waiting for commercials, or normal playing?

The waiting for commercials they are used to Tomi, it pays the bills in the NHL....it is the reason these guys make millions for being journeyman players. In the Olympics, it is again about the making of money....

Tomi
2nd February 2010, 07:36
The waiting for commercials they are used to Tomi, it pays the bills in the NHL....it is the reason these guys make millions for being journeyman players. In the Olympics, it is again about the making of money....

Yes i know, but it make a big difference in how many minutes each line get icetime as well.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd February 2010, 08:21
Yes i know, but it make a big difference in how many minutes each line get icetime as well.
If anything, it helps teams with less depth than Canada Tomi. You can give your top line more minutes this way, but I would wager the Russians and Canada have 3 lines of talent that coulud be the top line in many other nations, and likely the Swedes as well. Having all that depth is mitigated if the other team with less depth can rest their top line more with TV timeouts. It is a reality of modern hockey Tomi....

A.F.F.
3rd February 2010, 15:18
I agree with Mark. As annoying it might be, it'll help the lesser talent teams :up:

Although... I wouldn't count Swedes in to top three this Olympics. I think it's Canada, Russia and USA.

DexDexter
4th February 2010, 08:36
I agree with Mark. As annoying it might be, it'll help the lesser talent teams :up:

Although... I wouldn't count Swedes in to top three this Olympics. I think it's Canada, Russia and USA.

A typical prediction for every major tournament but won't happen. I predict we will surprise ( it's not really a surprise for us) and be in the top three. Why? We've got the best goaltenders

Mark in Oshawa
4th February 2010, 18:34
A typical prediction for every major tournament but won't happen. I predict we will surprise ( it's not really a surprise for us) and be in the top three. Why? We've got the best goaltenders

Are they? I am not saying you don't have excellent goalies, but Ryan Miller is the best goaler in the NHL many nights, and he isn't Finnish, and Martin Brodeur has a history of rising to the occasion. If he doens't, Luongo and Fleury don't suck either. I don't know how great the Finnish edge is in net, if there is one. I do know this much. Canada and Russia up front have the firepower, and Canada and the US have strong defensive play. The Swedes are not a bad team if they follow Alfredsson's leadership and get lucky.

I say Canada, Russia and the USA are the favourites but I don't think any of the top 6 hockey nations is incapable of winning this thing. The Czechs are always better than people expect, and the reality is that this tournament is so short that any team only has to have 3 good games near the end to be in the medal round....and win. If anything, this format almost allows an upset to take place.

I tell you what Dexter, If Canada cannot win, I would be very happy to see Finland win. You guys are due...and it would be a really good story that will be lost if Canada doesn't win for this country always goes into a funk when our boys in the top level fail. This is a game played here the most religiously, and it will be played on an NHL rink on Canadian soil....if we don't win this game or even do well (like in Torino) there will be a major let down...we may not even notice who wins if it isn't us!!!!

A.F.F.
4th February 2010, 20:37
I say Canada, Russia and the USA are the favourites but I don't think any of the top 6 hockey nations is incapable of winning this thing. The Czechs are always better than people expect, and the reality is that this tournament is so short that any team only has to have 3 good games near the end to be in the medal round....and win. If anything, this format almost allows an upset to take place.

I couldn't agree more. Should these teams play 10 games series, Finland wouldn't have a chance. But this sort of tournament favors us :up:

I envy you Dex. If only I had the same trust to our goalies than you :mark:

I think Team Finland's strongest point is that they can play as a team. Even they aren't as strong as other countries on paper, if they can play as a team, they can win any nation.

Or, this is what I believe and I've known to be wrong... :p

DexDexter
5th February 2010, 08:39
Are they? I am not saying you don't have excellent goalies, but Ryan Miller is the best goaler in the NHL many nights, and he isn't Finnish, and Martin Brodeur has a history of rising to the occasion. If he doens't, Luongo and Fleury don't suck either. I don't know how great the Finnish edge is in net, if there is one. I do know this much. Canada and Russia up front have the firepower, and Canada and the US have strong defensive play. The Swedes are not a bad team if they follow Alfredsson's leadership and get lucky.

I tell you what Dexter, If Canada cannot win, I would be very happy to see Finland win. You guys are due...and it would be a really good story that will be lost if Canada doesn't win for this country always goes into a funk when our boys in the top level fail. This is a game played here the most religiously, and it will be played on an NHL rink on Canadian soil....if we don't win this game or even do well (like in Torino) there will be a major let down...we may not even notice who wins if it isn't us!!!!

My statement that we have the best goaltenders is totally subjective of course, Mark :) . I do feel that if Kipru fits in the team (doesn't get pissed off and leave), he is a Dominic Hasek-type of figure when playing for the national team, he can win the games for us.

Talking about Hasek, I remember the semi-final in Nagano 98 when Canada was playing against the Czechs and Hasek was in the net. Everybody knew that if the game went to a penalty shootout, the Czechs would win it cause Hasek was just out of this world, and so they did. Kipru, on his day, can have similar qualities.

Mark in Oshawa
5th February 2010, 16:19
My statement that we have the best goaltenders is totally subjective of course, Mark :) . I do feel that if Kipru fits in the team (doesn't get pissed off and leave), he is a Dominic Hasek-type of figure when playing for the national team, he can win the games for us.

Talking about Hasek, I remember the semi-final in Nagano 98 when Canada was playing against the Czechs and Hasek was in the net. Everybody knew that if the game went to a penalty shootout, the Czechs would win it cause Hasek was just out of this world, and so they did. Kipru, on his day, can have similar qualities.

The Czechs may not have won if the braindead Mark Crawford (Canada's Coach) not left Gretzky on the bench for the shootout....Gretzky was supposed to be bad on penalty shots...but he always had a flair for the dramatic..and one goal would have changed that whole shootout.

Shootouts by the way are the WORST way to end a hockey game....

You are right about your goalies tho, any one of them could steal a game, but so has Ryan Miller, Tim Thomas for the US, or Broudeur or Fleury for the Canadians....

Tomi
5th February 2010, 16:30
If anything, it helps teams with less depth than Canada Tomi.

That was not the point, we where talking about the 3:rd line, if they play NHL style standing and waiting, they dont get much icetime, and their importance is more less.

Mark in Oshawa
5th February 2010, 16:32
That was not the point, we where talking about the 3:rd line, if they play NHL style standing and waiting, they dont get much icetime, and their importance is more less.

OH I agree..I believe I said Canada's depth is nullifyed to an extent by long TV timeouts..but that is something we are used to with NHL players on our roster....

DexDexter
7th February 2010, 08:35
The Czechs may not have won if the braindead Mark Crawford (Canada's Coach) not left Gretzky on the bench for the shootout....Gretzky was supposed to be bad on penalty shots...but he always had a flair for the dramatic..and one goal would have changed that whole shootout.

Shootouts by the way are the WORST way to end a hockey game....

You are right about your goalies tho, any one of them could steal a game, but so has Ryan Miller, Tim Thomas for the US, or Broudeur or Fleury for the Canadians....

We'll just have to wait and see :) . By the way, Thomas is very familiar to me, seen him in action many times cause he played for Jokerit, Kärpät and HIFK in the Finnish Elite Hockey League.

Unfortunately we'll have to wake up in the middle of the night to see the games but I will not miss them. It's going to be a great tournament.

AndyRAC
7th February 2010, 17:41
What happened to the Leafs last night...?? Hell, wasn't expecting that - doesn't say much for the Senators though, does it?

veeten
7th February 2010, 20:48
OK, here's an idea for the Olympics...

for the Gold Medal have the top team play... the Washington Capitals. :D

now that's a challenge. ;) :D

dunes
7th February 2010, 21:37

Whould the Canadian players have to sit out or referee. :D

Mark in Oshawa
8th February 2010, 06:28
What happened to the Leafs last night...?? Hell, wasn't expecting that - doesn't say much for the Senators though, does it?

The Leaf's have often played well only to have a soft goal just deflate them. I have lost track of the games they have lost in the last period with 2 and 3 goal leads. What we saw against Ottawa is a team that was able to play with energy and confidence because they knew Giguere will bail them out. It wont be a miracle run for the playoffs, they need more scoring, but it shows you how much of the game is mental. Also, Ottawa had won 11 in a row, and maybe were over confident.

Mark in Oshawa
8th February 2010, 06:31

Veeten...the Caps are good...but they aint THAT good...

If Brodeur gets lightning in a bottle again, or Canada doesn't waste time go to either Luongo or Fleury, I cant see many teams beating them....but it may be the only real "weakness" of the Canadian Olympic Team. I cant remember a year where there has been less controversay about who wasn't taken vs who was....and in Canada, we can talk hockey 12 months a year about the 3rd line of the Leaf's, so you KNOW this Olympic team selection was talked about...

That said...your Caps looked MIGHTY feisty against Crosby's Pen's today.....but then again you have the best coach in hockey in my books....

schmenke
8th February 2010, 15:34
Bruins end their losing streak... in Montreal :rolleyes:
Rask looked really solid.

veeten
8th February 2010, 17:54
... and guess who's coming your way Wedensday, Schmenke? ;) :D

Mark in Oshawa
9th February 2010, 01:42
Bruins end their losing streak... in Montreal :rolleyes:
Rask looked really solid.

Gee...the more things change, they more they remain the same.

What do you think about Gainey stepping aside and letting Pierre Gauthier take over?

veeten
16th February 2010, 13:55
Ok, folks. The moment we've all been waiting for...

Olympic Hockey starts today! :bounce: :D

12:00 pm, Vancouver time

United States vs Switzerland

4:30 pm

Canada vs Norway

9:00 pm

Russia vs Latvia

Mark in Oshawa
16th February 2010, 15:53
Ok, folks. The moment we've all been waiting for...

Olympic Hockey starts today! :bounce: :D

12:00 pm, Vancouver time

United States vs Switzerland

4:30 pm

Canada vs Norway

9:00 pm

Russia vs Latvia

It does, and I am going to drive to my folks. WE are a one TV family right now, and the Men's Short in Figure skating is on at the same time. So off to Dad's I go, while my wife happily watches some gay and not gay men spin circles and dress with sparkles....

dunes
16th February 2010, 17:06
This stinks I don't get any of the channels hockeys going to be on, in my truck. I wish I could get that dish for my truck. I can't sit still long enough to get one and set it up.
I'll be there in spirit and trust all of yous will keep me up on the inner workings of the gameS.
We know how those reporters blow things out of context and sensationalize every action.

Mark in Oshawa
16th February 2010, 17:09
This stinks I don't get any of the channels hockeys going to be on, in my truck. I wish I could get that dish for my truck. I can't sit still long enough to get one and set it up.
I'll be there in spirit and trust all of yous will keep me up on the inner workings of the gameS.
We know how those reporters blow things out of context and sensationalize every action.
Swoop, If you have Sirius, try channel 97 every day at 1600 EST for Hockey night in Canada radio. They will give you hockey talk from the CBC for 3 hours....you may not see the game but you will know what happened.

dunes
16th February 2010, 17:41
Swoop, If you have Sirius, try channel 97 every day at 1600 EST for Hockey night in Canada radio. They will give you hockey talk from the CBC for 3 hours....you may not see the game but you will know what happened.

I have XM its the same coverage but different channel. But you know not seeing it is like torture.Esspecially the hits and the defense. Theres just never enough coverage of the defense.

Mark in Oshawa
16th February 2010, 17:44
I have XM its the same coverage but different channel. But you know not seeing it is like torture.Esspecially the hits and the defense. Theres just never enough coverage of the defense.

A man after my heart...and it is the reason I fear the US more than the Russians...you guys have pretty good defense, but the Russians are too much about the offense, which collapses when they cant get the puck out of their own end. Canada and the US play the tenacious and nasty forecheck that will probably help win medals for them. The Russians may deal with it and end up in the gold medal game, but they don't value it the way we do.

dunes
16th February 2010, 17:56
A man after my heart...and it is the reason I fear the US more than the Russians...you guys have pretty good defense, but the Russians are too much about the offense, which collapses when they cant get the puck out of their own end. Canada and the US play the tenacious and nasty forecheck that will probably help win medals for them. The Russians may deal with it and end up in the gold medal game, but they don't value it the way we do.

Still the finns are a threat to capitalize on mistakes and those darn swedes they just don't go away.

Mark in Oshawa
16th February 2010, 18:00
Still the finns are a threat to capitalize on mistakes and those darn swedes they just don't go away.

Very true, the Finn's have the goaltending tradtionally and medal every Olympics it seems. The Swedes if they get the goaltending from Lundquisvt will do well because they can score too. I said I didn't want to predict an outcome but I am getting caught up in the hype of our team but it is going to be a very hard Olympic tournament to handicap. This format sucks too. Hockey is NOT meant to be winner take all one game sudden death for a week. You have 10 teams, and they will decide a gold in less than 2 weeks. Getting hot at the right time and having a few bounces will negate the true edge. It is the reason (besides making money) that the 7 game series is the more honest way of deciding the better of two hockey teams. Best of 3 would be good, but in a 2 week window, we get these hot house winner take all deals...

A.F.F.
16th February 2010, 20:54
Don't worry Swoop and Mark. Even if our team starts well the tournament, evetually we f**k up at some point. And the Swedes pick the cherry from the top :mark:

But all in all, I'm waiting a brilliant tournament and I wish all the teams good luck. I'm so going to watch US, Canada and Russia playing tonight :bounce: Oh yeah !!!!!

Mark in Oshawa
16th February 2010, 21:12
Don't worry Swoop and Mark. Even if our team starts well the tournament, evetually we f**k up at some point. And the Swedes pick the cherry from the top :mark:

But all in all, I'm waiting a brilliant tournament and I wish all the teams good luck. I'm so going to watch US, Canada and Russia playing tonight :bounce: Oh yeah !!!!!

One day...Finland will win the World's or an Olympic medal. I will be happy for you guys when it does...the view of Finnish hockey by Canadians is that the Finn's rugged, tough and never give up. The Swedes can be mercurial, and the Russians can be indifferent or churlish, but the respect Canadians have for Finnish hockey is high. You are a small nation trying to beat the big hockey nations and you come close a LOT.

A.F.F.
16th February 2010, 21:19
and you come close a LOT.

That's how we roll :D

Mark in Oshawa
16th February 2010, 22:56
That's how we roll :D

you bet...lol

First game down, USA 3, Switzerland 1....

Garry Walker
17th February 2010, 10:04
It does, and I am going to drive to my folks. WE are a one TV family right now, and the Men's Short in Figure skating is on at the same time. So off to Dad's I go, while my wife happily watches some gay and not gay men spin circles and dress with sparkles....

In my house, watching mens figure skating is banned. There is something about men skating around they way they do, dressed like they are and crying about it afterwards that is just not quite right. Quite disturbing.

Mark in Oshawa
17th February 2010, 16:14
In my house, watching mens figure skating is banned. There is something about men skating around they way they do, dressed like they are and crying about it afterwards that is just not quite right. Quite disturbing.

Not all of them are like that. A few of them could be pretty macho and tough. Toughest figure skater on the planet in history was Elvis Stojko who won silver in Nagano. Skated on a torn groin. Managed to do a Quad with that torn groin. Holds a 5th degree black belt in karate, rides motocross and it is rumoured he tuned up ex NHL star Eric Lindros in a bar fight one summer.

The science of figure skating and the idea of being able to have that much physical discipline is interesting, but yes, like you I have little time for the "Queens". I only really watch the pairs, since the guys are bigger, strong (try deadlifting a 100 to 120lb woman over head and toss her around on skates)and the women are inevitably quite cute. I am also slightly biased since Barb Underhill, a former world championship winner in pairs went to high school with me.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd March 2010, 06:40
The NHL season is restarted....is there anyone really giving a damn today? Canada is still basking in the glow of yet another dodged bullet!!! However,I did read in Today's Toronto Star (Monday March 1) that Ovechkin picked Canada to win in OT because he just thought Canada's never say die grit would make the difference. Maybe he was saying that because he was in Vancouver, or he wanted to repair his ego after the beating his Russians took.....who knows?

All Iknow is NHL hockey will bore me a little for a while....Olympic or best on best international tournments such as the World Cup or Canada Cup are the only true measuring stick.

A.F.F.
2nd March 2010, 13:18
Well Red Wings gave a damn :D

Mark in Oshawa
2nd March 2010, 17:31
Well Red Wings gave a damn :D
The Wings always care, that is why they have been one of the best teams for the last 15 to 20 years.

A.F.F.
2nd March 2010, 22:18
Au revoir hangover. Tonight it gets serious :hot:

Mark in Oshawa
3rd March 2010, 00:18
Au revoir hangover. Tonight it gets serious :hot:

You don't have to watch the Leafs the rest of the year....it is a hangover that wont end until playoffs. It doesn't help that the local Junior team is falling apart with lousy goalies and will miss the playoffs. AT one point the Oshawa Generals were in 4th in the conference. Now they are 9th in a ten team conference and have lost 3 in a row...

A.F.F.
17th March 2010, 21:49
What do you guys think of Hagman's transfer to Flames? He has been a shadow comparing to his time in Leafs' :mark:

Mark in Oshawa
17th March 2010, 22:33
What do you guys think of Hagman's transfer to Flames? He has been a shadow comparing to his time in Leafs' :mark:

Hagman wasn't much WITH the Leafs, so his trade to Calgary means the Leaf's have Phaneuf, who has a great upside, vs the guys they gave up.....and I don't see them being stars. Hagman was a journeyman player with Toronto and I don't see that changing in Calgary.

A.F.F.
17th March 2010, 22:54
Over 20 goals so far it's not way too bad, eh?

Anyways, I think his role is missing... again..

Mark in Oshawa
17th March 2010, 23:05
Over 20 goals so far it's not way too bad, eh?

Anyways, I think his role is missing... again..
hey...he isn't a bad player, don't get me wrong, but 20 goal scorers who score a lot in losing causes are different than guys who get 20 where 10 of them are either short handed or game winning goals. I was shocked when you posted he has 20, and that says a lot about the goals he has gotten. The 2nd goal in the 3rd where you are losing 6-1 doesn't mean as much, and I think like too many Leaf's, their stats don't tell the whole story. Then again, some guys cant get 20 anyhow....

A.F.F.
18th March 2010, 09:34
Well... I hate to admit but you have a point there....

Mark in Oshawa
18th March 2010, 16:01
Well... I hate to admit but you have a point there....

I didn't want to "diss" the guy, but I had to go look at his stats to see he has that many goals. I have watched maybe bits and pieces of half the Leaf games this year, and I didn't have a strong impression of his play. Kessel I notice. Kaberle I always notice, and I always see the streaky play of a guy like John Mitchell. Now Tyler Bozak is getting ice time and he is making an impression. I cant remember Hagman....and that is a damning indictment I suppose.

The thing is about many players in Hagman's level, they can be very interchangable. They are good enough to be traded for, but not good enough that GM's have ulcers trading them away.

A.F.F.
18th March 2010, 21:33
Hagman, or Pikku-Hakki as we call him, is a duracell-bunny and really plays from his heart. He is a kind of guy who NEVER gives up. In recent years he has developed as a goalscorer too. In our Olympic team he was IMO among the best. Very good working morale which I guess has been noticed by the GM and coaches too.

But is he worth of a five million per year?? No he isn't :mark:

Mark in Oshawa
19th March 2010, 23:07
Hagman, or Pikku-Hakki as we call him, is a duracell-bunny and really plays from his heart. He is a kind of guy who NEVER gives up. In recent years he has developed as a goalscorer too. In our Olympic team he was IMO among the best. Very good working morale which I guess has been noticed by the GM and coaches too.

But is he worth of a five million per year?? No he isn't :mark:

Well those are great attributes for a player for sure. I wont knock anyone making 5 mil a year. If someone is dumb enough to pay you that much, all power to you. I don't recall him making that much with Toronto tho...

Mark in Oshawa
21st March 2010, 18:45
Watched the Habs/Leafs and Vancouver/Detroit late game last night.....I must say, parity seems to be the way the league wants it, and that is what I saw last night. Not sure if that is good for the sport, but it makes the NHL owners happy.

I am so tired however of their lack of common sense on the head shots and cheap shots. The hit on Brent Seabrooke Friday was a joke....as was the blindside of Marc Savard last week. I don't think the owners will be happy until someone is paralysized or killed...and even then, the Steve Moore incident didn't seem to faze them, nor the news of the Senior A player getting killed in a hockey fight last year....

edv
26th April 2010, 15:48
What's the matter with you guys?!? 1st round of the Playoffs is almost done and no comments here???

Well, as a Flames fan, not much to be happy for, so now I am supporting the only team from the Canadian West left...the Canucks...but it's not easy.

Sorry Schmenke, but it is a lot easier to watch the Habs go down, which I expect to happen tonite.

I am anticipating a repeat of last year's matchup between the Pens and Caps. That was pretty exciting stuff.

Mark in Oshawa
26th April 2010, 20:04
I wondered myself, but I figured I would wait for someone else to start up the thread again. I lost most of my interest in hockey after Sid got that game winner at the Olympics. NHL hockey if I don't have my team in it just doesn't always hold me. The fact I see so much of the Junior stuff now as a volunteer doing the Jr. A Generals games means I am almost hockeyed out!!!

I did watch the Sens/Pen's a few times....and I am almost disappointed the Sen's didn't win. Almost...because Crosby is the best player in hockey today. Sorry to you Alex Ovechkin fans, Crosby is just at another level this year...

dunes
26th April 2010, 20:34
The Wings almost always suck on a sunday matinee game. However their following game they come out like the true pros they are. Look for big hits and fancy stick work with lots of good opppertunities.7-3 Wings

Sorry I havn't been here much its killing me reALLY.I think I'll be around a little bit more now and hope you guys don't hack me up too bad.

Anybody got any picks on thier favorites for the cup yet.Mine are Chitown and either Philly or of course Washington. I really was liking the Philly=Detroit{good memories of that one} thing but the Wings are weak in some key areas this year and I believe the series with them has Chicago having the edge.
See ya after tuesday

Mark in Oshawa
26th April 2010, 21:02
I am actually going to go out and say I think the best team in the East will still be the Pens. Philly lacks the goaltending, as does Washington. The Bruins would be dangerous if they had two really good fowards for they have Rask playing out of his mind and that is why they may have Buffalo going down.

No...I am taking the Pens still in the east...and I am thinking it will be either Chicago or Vancouver. That said, if San Jose ever gets their act together, they have the potential to win. They just have to learn to ramp it up...of course that has been their story the last 5 years...

A.F.F.
28th April 2010, 07:42
Antti Niemi is doing the same for Blackhawks as Rask is doing for Bruins. However, Chigago is as a team better than Boston. If they lack anything that may be experience. but that's all. My teams are long gone already so I'm gonna just sit back and enjoy the fight :D

Mark in Oshawa
28th April 2010, 14:03
Antti Niemi is doing the same for Blackhawks as Rask is doing for Bruins. However, Chigago is as a team better than Boston. If they lack anything that may be experience. but that's all. My teams are long gone already so I'm gonna just sit back and enjoy the fight :D

Did you watch any of the hockey in real time while you were in Fla? I doubt it right??

A.F.F.
29th April 2010, 20:38
Habs took care of Caps :eek:

Unbelievable !!!

A.F.F.
2nd May 2010, 09:13
Auts.... rough night for Niemi :(

But Rask still in the zone :up:

Mark in Oshawa
2nd May 2010, 21:28
Rask is the man....stupid Leafs traded him away and kept the wrong guy....but that was BB...Before Burkie...

dunes
3rd May 2010, 18:29
Wings down 2-0 and Vancover totally made Chitown look sick. Could things turn around, I for one hope so for Chicago's sake. As I said before The wings will probally bow out this bround and hopefuylly leave the west coast showdown.San Jose vs Vancover. Which is not at all what I thought would happen.
In the East Them darn Pens good really good,Darn it, I hate them.Not just cause they beat my wings last year but because they have that attitude like thier too hot for every one else.The Boston-Philly series is worth watching. I think whoever comes out of there will represent the East.Some may remember my MOM's[RIP] from the boston area and I'd usually pull for them But I think Philly has the edge this year.

Intra Penn battle
get it
Inpenetrable

Mark in Oshawa
3rd May 2010, 18:55
Swoop...look for Chicago to come back on Vancouver. I think they are hungrier. AS for the Wings...I think they will make it interesting. I don't see San Jose as serious. If they win this one..ok...Then I see them making the finals.

AS for the East..well.......Boston over Philly I have no problem seeing. Savard looks great coming back. They also have a great goalie. Pittsburgh better beat the Habs. You don't like them but a)they are the defending champs for a reason, b) Sidney Crosby is a humble guy but determined...so I don't see where you see them as hot dogs and c) Hab's fans make anyone connected with the Pittsburgh Penguins look gracious. Nothing is worse than some of the Montreal fans I know. Schmenke is FROM Montreal and has some class. The Hab's fans who live around here are just a bunch of bandwagon jumping morons...lol

AS for finals.....well I wont get on that yet. I don't see any clear superior team in this final 8

dunes
3rd May 2010, 20:06
OK OK But Sid the Kid Humble Not.In my opinion of him even with all his talents he is a great player but-Hes dirty and,a crybaby and with all his talent he doesn't need to play that way.
The Pens as a team are truely a dominating Champions and contenders; but I just don't like them. I think it has something to do with the Mario drama series that lasted for years, He tried to save that franschise and NOONE would help[management not players] him,Then he just stayed there too long.

Still The Boston-Philly series. Thats good stuff.

Detroit in my opinion[its how we feel here in det].Don't deserve to advance. I know the all reasons-no off time between series, no injuries, home ice,real games are the best practice,thier shopping a few players around[ie Bertuzzi]. But thier play as far as were concerned is way below subpar and we don't like it, and in Det sports if we don't ;like it we tell them about it.Thats why we go to lions football games.Were tough and we work hard we deserve better from what we've paid for.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd May 2010, 21:32
OK OK But Sid the Kid Humble Not.In my opinion of him even with all his talents he is a great player but-Hes dirty and,a crybaby and with all his talent he doesn't need to play that way.
The Pens as a team are truely a dominating Champions and contenders; but I just don't like them. I think it has something to do with the Mario drama series that lasted for years, He tried to save that franschise and NOONE would help[management not players] him,Then he just stayed there too long.

Still The Boston-Philly series. Thats good stuff.

Detroit in my opinion[its how we feel here in det].Don't deserve to advance. I know the all reasons-no off time between series, no injuries, home ice,real games are the best practice,thier shopping a few players around[ie Bertuzzi]. But thier play as far as were concerned is way below subpar and we don't like it, and in Det sports if we don't ;like it we tell them about it.Thats why we go to lions football games.Were tough and we work hard we deserve better from what we've paid for.

You deserve better than what you pay for? You keep going to Lions games and they should be paying YOU!!!

As for Sid, you are not talking about the Crosby that I have seen. He is a very quiet guy actually. You are talking like a Detroit fan who was caught up in the BS about the "not shaking hands" BS that went down last year...

dunes
4th May 2010, 03:49
You deserve better than what you pay for? You keep going to Lions games and they should be paying YOU!!!

As for Sid, You are talking like a Detroit fan who was caught up in the BS about the "not shaking hands" BS that went down last year...
I don't want to start a war here-but:
No acually I thought that was kinda funny. I'm refering to when he comes out of the players box and he heads straight for the ref to complain about something.Like they don't do thier job right or something.They may not see everything but they see more than he thinks they do.I've seen him away from the game and hes quite presentible and kind but his shananigans[diving & cheap shots] on the ice are well below his performance level and that ticks me just a little.As I said before the team as a whole are trrue champions and look really good,I just don't want them to win back to back without a rematch with us. My real dislike is with managment not any particular player. I just pick on Sid because hes the captain. Just like I think Nick [for us] needs some ajusatments in his leadership ability.Hes lackadazical this year.

As far as the lions paying us; they gave us a little something when they FIRED Matt Millan.

dunes
4th May 2010, 04:01
What does Chicago have to do to beat Luongo?
There hitting playing deep in the corners and out shooting the canucks but can't find the back of the net.
Anyone catch that bost-philly game. Sounded like a tough loss for philly on the radio.

dunes
4th May 2010, 04:43
MARK YOU WERE RIGHT.
Chicago 4 vancover 2
awesome 3rd period for Chicago. or at least the last 3 minutes.

Mark in Oshawa
4th May 2010, 06:40
MARK YOU WERE RIGHT.
Chicago 4 vancover 2
awesome 3rd period for Chicago. or at least the last 3 minutes.

Frame that first sentence...lol. I think that series is going 7 actually. Based on what I saw tonight, the Hawks have a better team balance outside the net, but the Nuck's have "Luuuuuu"....

AS for the Bruins...well I think they will lay a beat down on the Flyers. The Flyers looked good beating the Devils because they self destructed, not that the Flyers are great, and the Bruins have found confidence in themselves and they have one of the most underrated coaches in the game in Claude Julien...

dunes
4th May 2010, 15:33
Frame that first sentence...

I got the perfect place to hang it too.I gor a plaque of an octopus strangling 8 penguins from last years finals. :eek: It'll look good with that. LOL

and the Bruins have found confidence in themselves and they have one of the most underrated coaches in the game in Claude Julien...

A silent giant killer he is.Hes been here before just not at this level.

Wish your penguins luck tonight as they try and move into the next round. I think I'll rethink my pick and hope for a rematch.It could be interesting with the lack of performence from Malkin.

A.F.F.
4th May 2010, 22:12
What does Chicago have to do to beat Luongo?

One word. Niemi ;)

dunes
5th May 2010, 05:54
Who else can I pick on. I called out Malkin and he sacores the game winner.
Congrats to the pens up 2-1 now.
Those poor wings down 3-0. Sure feels like this one is over.Reguardless the good work from Howard.One man doesn't make a team though.

Mark in Oshawa
5th May 2010, 06:51
A silent giant killer he is.Hes been here before just not at this level.

Wish your penguins luck tonight as they try and move into the next round. I think I'll rethink my pick and hope for a rematch.It could be interesting with the lack of performence from Malkin.

They aint my Pens...I just like Crosby. That said, I hate Montreal....or rather, their fans who are not FROM Montreal.

So I enjoyed tonight's shutout by Fleury.

AS for the Wings, they were life and death to beat Phoenix. San Jose when on is a better team, and it appears they are starting to adapt to playoff hockey. They will likely handle a tough but maybe beat up team from the Van/Chicago side.

No..I am going to stick with the Bruins. I would like to see the Canuckleheads make the final too...because it has been too long since a Canadian BASED team has won the Cup. Consider the trophy was originally suppose to be for the best team from the "Dominion of Canada", there is something NOT right by the current drought.

edv
5th May 2010, 16:18
Well, if SJ keeps it up, then we may need a new dictionary entry to replace this one....

http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/kronwall.jpg

dunes
6th May 2010, 03:47
San Jose-Vancover=west coast finals
Chicago-Boston=east coast finals
vancover-chicago or San Jose- Boston=coast to coast finals

Which one will get the teles approval for a Cup match up?

edv
6th May 2010, 14:55
I think you meant to say Pittsburgh there instead of Chicago, swoop.

Mark in Oshawa
6th May 2010, 17:48
San Jose-Vancover=west coast finals
Chicago-Boston=east coast finals
vancover-chicago or San Jose- Boston=coast to coast finals

Which one will get the teles approval for a Cup match up?

TV don't care...NBC has no ambition of large ratings....unless the Rangers are in the playoffs, they would like Crosby I am sure, but I don't think he moves the needle. It doesn't matter anyhow..the best team wins in a 7 game series. The NHL and TV don't fix things...the players decide it...and if they are stupid enough to take dumb penalties at the wrong time, I don't hold it against the ref...