PDA

View Full Version : Official NHL/hockey thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

A.F.F.
9th May 2008, 08:24
Weird thing... I watched Canada vs. Norway last night and yes I know Norway can be a biatch opponent with their turtle defence but rarely I have seen Canada playing as spiritless, pathetic hockey as last night. One could think that as hosts they'd deliver their fans 110% in every game but apparently Team Canada only turn to flames when the real games start. I hope their attitude is as pathetic next monday since it's against Finland.

And some bad news for Flyers fans. Kimmo Timonen won't be playing this season anymore. They found a thrombosis in his leg. I hear Timonen was an important link in their power play and also marked vital players from their opponent.

janneppi
10th May 2008, 07:50
Oh dear, Finland 2, Latvia 1.
Not looking good for us so far.

Of the 64 saves "Masa" took, only a handfull were even remotely dangerous, not looking good at all.

Tomi
10th May 2008, 08:04

Of the 64 saves "Masa" took, only a handfull were even remotely dangerous, not looking good at all.

Agree, it was terrible to watch, next game already will show the real level.

DonJippo
10th May 2008, 14:15

I say coach Fiasko needs to give more play time for our star players now Teukka and co got only like 35min that's not a good thing :rolleyes:

janneppi
10th May 2008, 22:23
I say coach Fiasko needs to give more play time for our star players now Teukka and co got only like 35min that's not a good thing :rolleyes:

Indeed, how the heck can you expect them to get things sorted out when there are few second gaps wehen some small fish are there to make the necessary goals. I heard the in the US games, in powerplay, Finnish team will swap he two linesmen referees so that they can add two more forwards without any line experience to the defensive line.

Magnus
11th May 2008, 01:52
Wow. We beat Denmark. :rolleyes:

Tomi
11th May 2008, 06:20
Best game sofar, Sweden vs Russia, nice offencive playing with big individual skill.

A.F.F.
11th May 2008, 08:37
Today we measure Team Finland against USA. I truly hope Antti Pihlström gets ice time. He has been one of the best players almost in every game.

Garry Walker
11th May 2008, 18:02
Today we measure Team Finland against USA. I truly hope Antti Pihlström gets ice time. He has been one of the best players almost in every game.

I have never heard of him. Is he any good?

A.F.F.
11th May 2008, 20:13
I have never heard of him. Is he any good?

He seem to be much like Niklas Hagström from Stars. Very good attitude, energy, never gives up... all in all, perfect penalty kill man :up: He plays AHL now and got one NHL game with Predators.

Garry Walker
11th May 2008, 21:48
Russian refs have been drinking too much vodka the last few days, horrendous job they are doing.

Pihlström has been playing really well, some good work by him. Your description of him reminded me of good old Tiki a little bit.

Garry Walker
11th May 2008, 22:59
Great win for Finland in the end, with a little bit of luck with that side-net goal.

Dustin Brown is a little coward ****, I hope some guy teaches him a hard lesson for that pathetic stunt he played there.

Nice fight there in the end, the finn was clearly the weaker guy but refused to back down, great work.

Tomi
11th May 2008, 23:43
the game was a mess, the refs was totally lost, third period was good from our team, the us guys looked a bit tired, hopefully our guys keep out from the penalty box, and keep up the skating in coming games. Tomorrow its Canada I bet it will be a good one.

DonJippo
12th May 2008, 00:19
Yes nice comeback on third period with a little bit of luck but sweet victory anyway. Luckily Jussi Jokinen was not hurt after Dustin Brown's brainfart at the end, I was surprised about Teemu's reaction :up: did not expect him to be first one to give it back to Brown. Also Salmela got his name to scouts notebooks after his fight against Backes :D

Refs...I'm speechless that's all I have to say about them....

A.F.F.
12th May 2008, 05:36
Yep... it's been a while I've seen such a ref work :down:

USA had the game and they would have had it to the end but IMO their lack of tournament experience turned it to us after that "lucky" goal through the net. They let Finland back to the game. Shame Dustin Brown since he has been playing a great tournament.

What comes to Selänne, I think this was the first game ever I saw him 8 minutes worth of penalty box :eek: He probably counted on his reputation but Brown didn't give a ****.

Robert Eche was the man of the match by far.

janneppi
12th May 2008, 06:53
Abysmal referee work in the US game, no wonder the goal referee was sent off the games.

Magnus
12th May 2008, 07:48
Nice: were in the quarters!

A.F.F.
12th May 2008, 08:26
:mark:

It ain't over till it's over. According to Iltalehti :http://www.iltalehti.fi/kisaextra/200805127639690_ki.shtml Team USA are demanding longer a longer game misconduct to Olli Jokinen. Team Finland will answer to that by demanding the same to Dustin Brown if needed.

Shame. These games shouldn't be played at cabinets. :down:

janneppi
12th May 2008, 08:37
Jokinen for Brown would be a good trade off. ;)
But shame indeed if they are going down this road.

Garry Walker
12th May 2008, 09:17

It ain't over till it's over. According to Iltalehti :http://www.iltalehti.fi/kisaextra/200805127639690_ki.shtml Team USA are demanding longer a longer game misconduct to Olli Jokinen. Team Finland will answer to that by demanding the same to Dustin Brown if needed.

Yanks can demand whatever they want, but Jokinens penalty was not even worth 5+20, only the russian refs mindlessness got him that penalty.

DonJippo
12th May 2008, 10:24

The way team Finland and especially power play unit played yesterday after OJ was send out makes me wonder if that really would be a minus for the team. Whole team looked like being in better balance without him, it just looks to me like there is no right place for him in line-ups after Saku Koivu joined the team and took OJ's place next to Teemu.

Tomi
12th May 2008, 11:49
The way team Finland and especially power play unit played yesterday after OJ was send out makes me wonder if that really would be a minus for the team. Whole team looked like being in better balance without him, it just looks to me like there is no right place for him in line-ups after Saku Koivu joined the team and took OJ's place next to Teemu.

Agree, it looks good now powerplay and 5 on 5 too, I also agree with Gary that the penalty was far too big in the first place.
Jokinen is good player but he dont really fit in.
I hope we meet team us again in the quarter finals.

janneppi
13th May 2008, 06:15
Oh dear, nothing helped last night, not even going to bed and missing the third period on purpose. Well, at least now the stupid US goal has lost it's meaning.

Tomi
13th May 2008, 06:35
All the credit to the canadians, the played really good.

Garry Walker
13th May 2008, 08:19
Oh dear, nothing helped last night, not even going to bed and missing the third period on purpose.
I have tried that and it never works :D

Shameful game by finns last night at times and unlucky too. 2 SHG in modern hockey at this level is just completely unacceptable and the first goal of the game was a grave error too. The first SHG was again a complete ****up by the defence and what was Selänne doing?

Pihlström was amazing yesterday, scored goals and checked well. The star by far. Bäckström.. hmm.. well, not good.

I also can`t quite see why your coach changed the lines so much during the game?

But I wouldn`t give up hope yet - I remember Finland losing to Canada 1:5 in some WC (2000 or 2001?) and then going on to beat them later on in the tournament. But then again, Canada has been a pretty tough opponent for you guys always.

At the moment I see it going to be a Russia-Canada final, in which case I would bet on Russia. But if Finland makes it to the final, I can quite see you guys beating Russia.

A.F.F.
13th May 2008, 08:46
The first SHG was again a complete ****up by the defence and what was Selänne doing?

Simple answer. Nada.

Unbelieveble. You just can't do mistakes against team like Canada. It doesn't matter how much you control the puck, Canada only need one time and they score, just like we saw last night. I didn't even notice Heatley and whoopsie daizy, he scored. :s

Team Finland should definately get rid of those stupid mistakes that's the first thing. Then they should get rid off making the game too difficult. Just go straight to the goal and SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT. LeClaire was amazing last night but Pillu just shot to the goal and scored in a situation I never believed it'll go in.

Canada will be one of the finalists. Most probably the champion too.

Garry Walker
13th May 2008, 09:00
Simple answer. Nada.
Not a very good thing to "do", when you are playing canada. If I had been the coach, I would probably have completely lost my cool at the locker after that.
My principle is - If you really can`t do something, but give your maximum, you are still a winner in a way, even if you lose. If you can do something, but are too lazy to, then you are a complete loser.

Unbelieveble. You just can't do mistakes against team like Canada. It doesn't matter how much you control the puck, Canada only need one time and they score, just like we saw last night. I didn't even notice Heatley and whoopsie daizy, he scored. :s
Exactly. Canada has so much talent in that team, that give them only one chance, and they will score. Guys like St.Louis, Staal, Heatley, Nash, Getzlaf - they can be completely hidden for the 59 minutes, but give them a chance and they will score. Heatley indeed did nothing for most of the game. Then he comes and scores. Because he is so talented, he will use his chances.

Team Finland should definately get rid of those stupid mistakes that's the first thing. Then they should get rid off making the game too difficult. Just go straight to the goal and SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT. LeClaire was amazing last night but Pillu just shot to the goal and scored in a situation I never believed it'll go in. That was a great individual effort, one that should have lifted the team mentally, but add to that effort the "effort" of Selänne in defence and theres your result gone.
That is actually one of my worries for team Finland. You guys have had quite a few games where the effort just hasn`t been there and in ice hockey effort can lift an inferior team to a win over the superior team.

Canada will be one of the finalists. Most probably the champion too.
Canada still has some weaknesses that I believe a good team can exploit. But what good is exploiting those weaknesses, if one plays defence at a junior girl hockey level and leaves attackers unmarked.

A.F.F.
13th May 2008, 09:16
Not a very good thing to "do", when you are playing canada. If I had been the coach, I would probably have completely lost my cool at the locker after that.
My principle is - If you really can`t do something, but give your maximum, you are still a winner in a way, even if you lose. If you can do something, but are too lazy to, then you are a complete loser.

Teemu has been way too carefull when defencing. He avoids the contact and gives only about 60%. I think he has more important priorities in his mind than sacrificing himself tot he team. I just hope Teemu isn't too big of a player to the coach Shedden and Shedden really let's him hear for it in the locker. I couldn't agree more Garry. The way teemu performed yesterday, he's absolutely no use to Team Finland.

That was a great individual effort, one that should have lifted the team mentally, but add to that effort the "effort" of Selänne in defence and theres your result gone.
That is actually one of my worries for team Finland. You guys have had quite a few games where the effort just hasn`t been there and in ice hockey effort can lift an inferior team to a win over the superior team.

I see a confict here. The effortless game has been mainly a problem to certain line-ups. If you look at closely Mikko Koivu's line, it has been in fire through out the tournament. Then look at our number one line, S.Koivu, Peltonen, Selänne. It has been pathetic. But it's true, this war needs every frigging guy and the whole team have to give 110% in order to challenge teams like Canada and Russia and maybe Chech even.

Canada still has some weaknesses that I believe a good team can exploit. But what good is exploiting those weaknesses, if one plays defence at a junior girl hockey level and leaves attackers unmarked.

Canada's weakness is big but slow defence. You can't challenge them by wrestling but try speed and you see them having problems. Like yesterday against Finland, at times they were really lost. God for bid there was LeClaire to save the day. Finland played bad but I still say that with little bit of a luck, we good have been closer. :)

Garry Walker
13th May 2008, 09:32
Teemu has been way too carefull when defencing. He avoids the contact and gives only about 60%. I think he has more important priorities in his mind than sacrificing himself tot he team. I just hope Teemu isn't too big of a player to the coach Shedden and Shedden really let's him hear for it in the locker. I couldn't agree more Garry. The way teemu performed yesterday, he's absolutely no use to Team Finland.

Yes, I agree.
Selänne, if he gives his all, is a massive player. And I thought he put in a good work load in the USA game, even getting involved in a little fight at the end. But yesterday he was completely empty.
Shedden should have taught Teemu a lesson yesterday, in the way Mike Keenan once taught Kovalev a lesson - he had him play the whole 20 minutes of a period, for apparently lacking effort :D . If Shedden is a serious coach, I can imagine what he said, but I really don`t know anything about his background.

I see a confict here. The effortless game has been mainly a problem to certain line-ups. If you look at closely Mikko Koivu's line, it has been in fire through out the tournament. Then look at our number one line, S.Koivu, Peltonen, Selänne. It has been pathetic. But it's true, this war needs every frigging guy and the whole team have to give 110% in order to challenge teams like Canada and Russia and maybe Chech even. Yes, every line needs to give 110%, every shift, no breaks. And if you do that, you will get your chances. If one line doesn`t give effort, intensity will be lost, momentum will be lost.

That`s why I liked that fight at the end of the USA game - your guy was clearly weaker, but refused to back down. Sure he left with a bloody nose, but he made his point. Such situations should motivate the whole team, and it is very dissapointing if they don`t. Shedden should have used that as a motivational tool for the canada game too.

Canada's weakness is big but slow defence. You can't challenge them by wrestling but try speed and you see them having problems. Like yesterday against Finland, at times they were really lost. God for bid there was LeClaire to save the day. Finland played bad but I still say that with little bit of a luck, we good have been closer. :) Yep, thats what I meant. Canada is a vulnerable team and if you have some fast guys (as you do) challenging them, they will commit mistakes, they will take penalties and eventually you will get them agitated. Thats how you beat Canada.
Any team trying to outpower Canada will always suffer one consequences - get beaten. In both ways.

Maybe we should coach the Finnish team :D

A.F.F.
13th May 2008, 09:36
Maybe we should coach the Finnish team :D

Or any other team around :D

Tomi
13th May 2008, 09:45
Bad coaching has been a huge problem for our team thats for sure, agree about Teukka too, this is a bit different than what he is used too, even a top striker has to defend in theese games.
On the other hand this was just one game, the important ones starts from now.

A.F.F.
13th May 2008, 10:32
Few words about NHL semifinals. There seem to be no stop for Wings and Penguins :eek: At this point it looks like our finale pair.

janneppi
15th May 2008, 06:22
Apparently Finland proceeds to semifinals, I didn't watch the game, but heard all the goals as someone in my building was watching. :)

Tomi
15th May 2008, 06:50
Apparently Finland proceeds to semifinals, I didn't watch the game, but heard all the goals as someone in my buiding was watching. :)

Yes it was a nice well deserved win, next one Russia, that one will be tough.

Garry Walker
15th May 2008, 11:56
Awesome.

Russia and Finland will be awesome and with some luck, we should get a sweden-finland final, you guys have some debts to repay to them.

I am also 40 euros richer thanks to finland winning :up:

A.F.F.
15th May 2008, 16:59
I am also 40 euros richer thanks to finland winning :up:

Any chance for commission ?? You know, since I'm a Finn and stuff :p :

leopard
16th May 2008, 07:27
Again, Asian are dominating Thomas and Uber Cup this year. We won convincingly in semi final last night. :)

Ops I am lost here, help. :look:

A.F.F.
16th May 2008, 08:48
Philly hanging on there. Plus there might be a chance Kimmo Timonen shall return to defence. He got a green light from a doc to try skating :up:

Garry Walker
16th May 2008, 08:55
Any chance for commission ?? You know, since I'm a Finn and stuff :p :

The transfer itself would cost 40 euros!!!

Garry Walker
16th May 2008, 08:56
Philly hanging on there. Plus there might be a chance Kimmo Timonen shall return to defence. He got a green light from a doc to try skating :up:

Awesome :up:

A.F.F.
16th May 2008, 21:02
Well, nothing much to say :s

Russia beat us and was way better team.

If Canada plays at it's level and win Sweden, we have a nice fight for pronze. I'm just afraid that Swedish team has a lot of players from their national league and on paper, they are weaker team... They might want that pronze medal more than our plaeyrs. And the way Finns played against Russia, it'll be enough. :down:

Magnus
17th May 2008, 06:26
Pretty decent fight from the swedish team against canada tonight. They have become better and better throughout the tournament. Let´s how the will perform against Finland; AFF might have a point.

Magnus
18th May 2008, 07:50
But that one didn´t turn out to wel; 0-4 to Finland... :s

A.F.F.
18th May 2008, 08:59
But that one didn´t turn out to wel; 0-4 to Finland... :s

Actually the game was Sweden vs. Pihlström & Bäckström.

But I'm always happy when Finland wins Sweden :D

And Dallas keeps their hopes alive against Pittsburgh.

janneppi
18th May 2008, 20:55
Good show, it was nice to watch a big game without stressing that my team looses.
Good effort from Russia coming back in the third period.

A.F.F.
18th May 2008, 21:50
I second what janneppi said. Shame for Rick Nash, from hero to a villain in two minutes.

A.F.F.
19th May 2008, 04:21
Penguins first one to proceed to finale. Their goal making is so effective it is scary.

Tomi
19th May 2008, 06:51
Good show, it was nice to watch a big game without stressing that my team looses.
Good effort from Russia coming back in the third period.

Yes agree, the better team won, I think the biggest surprise in this world championships was that the russians did stick to their tacktics so strickt, if they continiue like that they will rule for quite awhile, they have so outstanding player material.
About our team it was good to see the newcomers good preformance, Pihlström, Lepistö etc.

janneppi
19th May 2008, 07:21
Yes agree, the better team won, I think the biggest surprise in this world championships was that the russians did stick to their tacktics so strickt, if they continiue like that they will rule for quite awhile,
Indeedidoo, infact, only Kovaltsuk was playing for himself a bit in the last game, and look where that got him, in the bloody gold medal. :D
Ovetshkin is one of the few players i've seen who tackles people while holding a puck. :)

Garry Walker
19th May 2008, 20:47
My most hated ice-hockey team takes the title. Awful :( . But canada gave the game away.

At least I am almost 70 euros richer through betting throughout the tournament. Thanks Morozov (for not scoring a goal).

A.F.F.
20th May 2008, 08:22
Ok, the finale pair is clear. Penguins vs Red Wings.

DonJippo
20th May 2008, 10:00
Go Penguins :hot: I wan't Jarkko Ruutu to bring Stanley Cup for a visit in Finland next summer :D

tstran17_88
23rd May 2008, 18:58
Go Pens...keep the Cup out of the self-proclaimed Hockeytown USA!

DonJippo
27th May 2008, 19:50
Red Wings going strong for the Cup 2-0 lead over Penguins :dozey:

A.F.F.
27th May 2008, 21:17
Red Wings going strong for the Cup 2-0 lead over Penguins :dozey:

And Filppula was in the zone last night :hot: :bounce:

DonJippo
29th May 2008, 07:28
Penguins fighting back 3-2 win over Wings last night :bounce:

A.F.F.
29th May 2008, 08:24
I actually don't know why I'm jumping :bounce: because there's two of my least favourite teams in the finale :p :

A.F.F.
1st June 2008, 05:24
Three down, one to go Wings. :up:

harvick#1
1st June 2008, 06:28
never once before before have I seen a guy get picked up and thrown into the goal and no penalty be called.

the Wings were getting away with murder. for those 2 penalties the refs called, I was even surprised by that, I know its the finals, but come on, penalties are penalties.

and by no way am I a Wings/Penguins fan :mark:

Garry Walker
1st June 2008, 14:24
never once before before have I seen a guy get picked up and thrown into the goal and no penalty be called.

the Wings were getting away with murder. for those 2 penalties the refs called, I was even surprised by that, I know its the finals, but come on, penalties are penalties.

and by no way am I a Wings/Penguins fan :mark:

I don`t know what you were watching, but the game I was watching, Crosby was again diving and again got away with it and they earned a 5 on 3 for that.

The comments their coach and some players made about Red Wings players diving are so amazingly hypocritical, that I have Penguins as my most hated team in nhl now.

This is a funny picture I found from a hockey site I visit :D

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t17/BlueShirtBabe94/sidgay.jpg

A.F.F.
5th June 2008, 08:34
Congrats Red Wings. Congrats Vilppula :hot: Stanley Cup winners 2008 :up:

( thank god not Penguins.)

DonJippo
5th June 2008, 11:05
Congrats Wings indeed :up: Vilppula only 7th Finn to win the Cup so two :up: :up: for him.

Pity for Penguins I would have loved to see my favourite rat Jarkko Ruutu to raise the Cup but it was not ment to be, better luck next time.

veeten
5th June 2008, 11:28
Age-old saying, "there's no substitute for experience". Penguins found that out.

While it will hurt right now, Crosby & Malkin will be better for it. It'll make them more hungry to take the Cup next season.

... depending on if Ove & Co. (Capitals) have anything to say about it. ;) :D

edv
5th June 2008, 14:32
I suspect that this is the first time ever that a Stanley Cup winning goal went in via butt-cheeks!
Congrats Red Wings.

Galveston dunes
12th June 2008, 02:16
Those that know me will shreek in awe-but My money is on a Pitt-Det rematch with a much different ending next year.
Congrats to MY Wings.and the parade was awesome as well.
Now Homers sports hurnia surgury.....whaaaaat.

A.F.F.
24th June 2008, 12:36
What do you know. OJ got finally away from Panthers and is now in Coyotes.

It'll be interesting to see what Sundin does. Will he jump off to Habs?

schmenke
24th June 2008, 15:00
...It'll be interesting to see what Sundin does. Will he jump off to Habs?

Bob Gainey said he'll try hard to make him an offer before the trade deadline.

It's hard to imagine Sundin as anything other than a Leaf... :mark:

A.F.F.
24th June 2008, 16:27
In NHL everything's for sale.

Galveston dunes
25th June 2008, 04:37
In NHL everything's for sale.

And it appears the russians are in the market; at least for a little while longer. I may have to change my rematch theroy.

veeten
25th June 2008, 11:35
Barry Melrose takes over as coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning. :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3458608

New ownership, new coach... hope it pans out well. :)

Galveston dunes
27th June 2008, 23:36
The fire the enthusiaism,the drive and with Melrose; the Lightning may be on thier way back to the finals soon.Now if Melrose can find another bandana wearing gaolie like Kelly Rhudi back in cali.

veeten
26th September 2008, 11:40
... sorta. :p

Hockey is back, and a new season beckons. :) :cool:

schmenke
26th September 2008, 15:04
Time to change my sig... ;) :D

FastRed
26th September 2008, 15:31
Go WINGS!! ive been lucky enough to see them lift 3 cups in the early hours of the morning. happy days!

veeten
26th September 2008, 16:38
hey Red, sorry about Lidstrom on Wedensday.
OUCH!!! right on the schnozz. :blackeye:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3608686

Who says they take it easy during preseason?... ;) :p

schmenke
26th September 2008, 17:26
Quite a few pre-season inuries, Gonchar and Wilson to name a couple... :mark:

A.F.F.
26th September 2008, 22:13
Go Ducks :up:

schmenke
26th September 2008, 22:16
I see not much has changed, eh? :p :

Garry Walker
29th September 2008, 16:42
What is the news on sundin? Any rumours?

BTCC2
2nd October 2008, 22:56
UK Elite League Standings

1. Belfast Giants 14
2. Nottingham Panthers 12
3. Manchester Phoenix 11
4. Coventry Blaze 10
5. Sheffield Steelers 7
6. Newcastle Vipers 7
7. Cardiff Devils 6
8. Edinburgh Capitals 6
9. Hull Stingrays 4
10. Basingstoke Bison 2

WE WANT WILSON OUT!!!!!!!

A.F.F.
3rd October 2008, 11:12
I see not much has changed, eh? :p :

Actually it has. this year we didn't have to wait till Jan. to hear Teemu Selänne's decision whether he continue playing or not. Two year deal with Ducks. Yieppee and kwak kwak like they say at the Pond :D

schmenke
3rd October 2008, 17:39
What is the news on sundin? Any rumours?

He's a putz. He's basically said that he will give his decision to play when he's ready. I hope he chokes on a Swedish meatball.

Garry Walker
5th October 2008, 14:42
He's a putz. He's basically said that he will give his decision to play when he's ready. I hope he chokes on a Swedish meatball.

Despite that, there in no team that would not hire him if he told the public he is ready.

A.F.F.
5th October 2008, 16:33
Pretty good start with Minnesota and Bäckström :up:

And I'm amazed Ville Leino, a rookie in Red Wings got so much TOI and even two points :eek:

Garry Walker
5th October 2008, 16:36
Pretty good start with Minnesota and Bäckström :up:

And I'm amazed Ville Leino, a rookie in Red Wings got so much TOI and even two points :eek:

That`s because those were preseason games :D

Only rangers-lightning and pens-senators were regular season games.

A.F.F.
5th October 2008, 19:24
That`s because those were preseason games :D

Only rangers-lightning and pens-senators were regular season games.

Ooops...

Figures, especially that Leino part :D

A.F.F.
5th October 2008, 19:33
Btw... Does the season start for the rest of the league this night?

schmenke
6th October 2008, 15:01
Btw... Does the season start for the rest of the league this night?

Thursday October 9th.

A.F.F.
6th October 2008, 22:04
Kiitos schmenke.

schmenke
8th October 2008, 16:08
One of the better hockey signs I've seen... :D

schmenke
10th October 2008, 20:19
Unpleasant start of the season for the Flames last night :s . It would be nice if their defence showed up to play :mark:

A.F.F.
11th October 2008, 13:27
Yep, that's a night Kipper won't be forgetting any time soon. :down:

raikk
13th October 2008, 01:34
Yep, that's a night Kipper won't be forgetting any time soon. :down:

and now Toskala :rolleyes:

Ohh well at least the leafs won against the redwings :p :

BTCC2
15th October 2008, 11:49
UK Elite League Standings:

1. Belfast Giants 20
2. Nottingham Panthers 18
3. Coventry Blaze 14
4. Sheffield Steelers 13
5. Manchester Phoenix 13
6. Newcastle Vipers 11
7. Cardiff Devils 8
8. Edinburgh Capitals 6
9. Hull Stingrays 4
10. Basingstoke Bison 2

Great Britain News:

Head Coach Paul Thompson has drafted in 3 new recruits ahead of Team GB’s Olympic qualification tournament in Poland this November. Jez Lundin (Newcastle Vipers) Ben O’Connor (Coventry Blaze) and Jason Hewitt (Sheffield Steelers) all make the squad for the first time alongside returnee’s Steve Thornton, Paul Sample and Colin Shields

schmenke
15th October 2008, 14:14
UK Elite League Standings:

1. Belfast Giants 20
2. Nottingham Panthers 18
3. Coventry Blaze 14
4. Sheffield Steelers 13
5. Manchester Phoenix 13
6. Newcastle Vipers 11
7. Cardiff Devils 8
8. Edinburgh Capitals 6
9. Hull Stingrays 4
10. Basingstoke Bison 2...

Hey BTCC2, what do the numbers following the team name represent? Total points? How many games does each team play in a season?

Finally a win for the Flames, although Kipper still looked a little shakey :s

BTCC2
15th October 2008, 15:42
yeah total points, that's all that matters in deciding the standings, don't know if it's the same in NHL or not.

Each team plays 54 regular season games. So far most have played 10.

The fact that Coventry Blaze are not top has made the national news, which is the first time in my lifetime ice hockey has done that in the UK, apart from when the NHL came over.

Garry Walker
15th October 2008, 16:41
One of the better hockey signs I've seen... :D

Awesome :D

Rangers prospect, 19 year old Alexey Cherepanov, died of heart failure on monday. The level of medical help given to him was awful and if they had had the proper equipment they could have saved him.

raikk
16th October 2008, 00:51
Awesome :D

Rangers prospect, 19 year old Alexey Cherepanov, died of heart failure on monday. The level of medical help given to him was awful and if they had had the proper equipment they could have saved him.

thats very sad, first Luc Bourdon now Cherepanov. Two prospects that were expected to do great things in the NHL

RIP

veeten
16th October 2008, 12:48
Big game tonight! 7:30 pm, est

Capitals vs Penguins... Crosby vs Ovechkin, the rivalry continues... :D :up:

Be There!!! :D :D :D

schmenke
16th October 2008, 14:10
"Who...?"

Was what my buddies collectively asked a couple of weeks ago when I picked Brunnstrom in my pool :D

raikk
17th October 2008, 04:00
Big game tonight! 7:30 pm, est

Capitals vs Penguins... Crosby vs Ovechkin, the rivalry continues... :D :up:

Be There!!! :D :D :D

nice upset by caps!

veeten
17th October 2008, 04:44
Caps win! Yay! :D

A.F.F.
17th October 2008, 09:05
Antti Miettinen's move from Stars to Wilds seem to be excellent. Now that he is alongside with Mikko Koivu, he has had the best season start ever. And Koivu jr is climbing to the very elite of the league :up:

A.F.F.
23rd October 2008, 09:50
Bummer... Ducks, Philly and Dallas aren't doing too good.

All heil to Habs and Minnesota :D

schmenke
23rd October 2008, 17:23
The "Koivu" teams :D

schmenke
23rd October 2008, 20:00
Sundin California-bound...?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=253493&lid=sublink02&lpos=topRelated_nhl

A.F.F.
23rd October 2008, 20:43
The "Koivu" teams :D

For years and years has Saku being my hockey idol but I have to say that it's the junior I'm cheering for now on. I'm confident Mikko will be one of the best players in NHL in the future.

veeten
13th November 2008, 02:06
Hey, guys.. :)

Voting for entries to the all-star game begins today, so unlike presidential elections :p : your votes count. Vote for your faves at www.nhl.com (http://www.nhl.com). :D

A.F.F.
13th November 2008, 19:59
Hey, guys.. :)

Voting for entries to the all-star game begins today, so unlike presidential elections :p : your votes count. Vote for your faves at www.nhl.com (http://www.nhl.com). :D

I was just about to make the same post :D

Anyways, did mine :up:

veeten
15th November 2008, 00:44
Geez, 16 games in and they fire him. :\

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3703077

well, back to the day job at ESPN. :p :

schmenke
17th November 2008, 16:14
The Lightening should be doing better with the talent the team has :mark:

And Stamkos is not doing much for my pool :p :

A.F.F.
18th November 2008, 22:35
Rangers and Bruins are doing surprisingly well. Comparing to Senators and Stars especially when talking about talent. :eek:

I just don't know for how long are trashers going to look Lehtonen, the most overrated goalie in the world :mark:

schmenke
21st November 2008, 16:57
Shutout for Kipper last night. He needed that.

Garry Walker
24th November 2008, 18:15
Tampa Bay and Dallas have surprised me - negatively. I thought they would do quite well this year. They both have so much talent in the team.

schmenke
24th November 2008, 18:27
Disapointing weekend for Montreal :bigcry: ...

Garry Walker
24th November 2008, 19:21
Disapointing weekend for Montreal :bigcry: ...

How has Robert Lang been? Are Habs fans happy with his performances or not?

schmenke
26th November 2008, 17:22
Yes, I've been quite impressed so far.

A.F.F.
27th November 2008, 19:43
Looks like fans want all-Habs line to all-star game :D :up:

bells401
4th December 2008, 18:48
Hi guys, thought i would start a leafs thread as i don't see one in this forum.
For all leaf fans this is the place to post you opinions/views on our newly leafs team :D

schmenke
4th December 2008, 20:49
Toronto Maple Leafs fan(s) can post here, but beware the wrath... :vader:

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112642

A.F.F.
4th December 2008, 22:09
Toronto Maple Leafs fan(s) can post here, but beware the wrath... :vader:

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112642

Leafs ain't so bad anymore since they got Pikku Hakki :D

schmenke
4th December 2008, 23:18
Nah, the best aquisition for the Leafs this season is Hagman. Toskala still looks a litte shakey though, IMO... but let's keep all this in one thread! :p :

A.F.F.
5th December 2008, 00:02
Nah, the best aquisition for the Leafs this season is Hagman. Toskala still looks a litte shakey though, IMO... but let's keep all this in one thread! :p :

Pikku Hakki is Hagman ;)

bells401
5th December 2008, 00:52
Hoo Boy! Time to come back to reality. Its obvious that the Leafs are just not in the same league with the Sharks who are bigger, stronger, faster and just plain better. What that also tells me is that most of the Eastern teams are in the same boat (http://www.ftatalk.com/showthread.php?t=212222&page=36#) as the Buds when it comes to competing with the Sharks, Ducks (http://www.ftatalk.com/showthread.php?t=212222&page=36#), Kings, etc. I doubt that even the Red Wings could compete over a 7 game series (http://www.ftatalk.com/showthread.php?t=212222&page=36#) if it was played today. Looks like Stanley (http://www.ftatalk.com/showthread.php?t=212222&page=36#:1phqan7d) may well head west this season. Just my 3 cents worth (increased due to recession).

If anything good came out of the game last night for the Leafs its that Burke got a chance to see a real live one-for-one comparison of talent. It would be nice to believe that there's another real live Joe Thornton out there somewhere for Brian to find.

bells401
5th December 2008, 00:53
Hoo Boy! Time to come back to reality. Its obvious that the Leafs are just not in the same league with the Sharks who are bigger, stronger, faster and just plain better. What that also tells me is that most of the Eastern teams are in the same boat as the Buds when it comes to competing with the Sharks, Ducks, Kings, etc. I doubt that even the Red Wings could compete over a 7 game series
if it was played today. Looks like Stanley may well head west this season. Just my 3 cents worth (increased due to recession).

If anything good came out of the sharks game for the Leafs its that Burke got a chance to see a real live one-for-one comparison of talent. It would be nice to believe that there's another real live Joe Thornton out there somewhere for Brian to find.

schmenke
5th December 2008, 16:39
Pikku Hakki is Hagman ;)

Ah, thanks :p :

Good night for the Habs; scoring from their 4th line.

A.F.F.
7th December 2008, 09:54
Hmmm interesting. New Finn goalie talent, Predators' Pekka Rinne. Second shutout in a short period of time. And I don't know nothing about this guy :eek:

veeten
7th December 2008, 13:47
another win for the Capitals. 2-1 over Toronto.

Go Caps! :D

A.F.F.
9th December 2008, 06:43
YEAH !!! My boy Pilu scored his first NHL goal for Predators last night :hot:

Garry Walker
10th December 2008, 10:32
YEAH !!! My boy Pilu scored his first NHL goal for Predators last night :hot: Does "pilu" not mean something quite naughty in finnish?

janneppi
10th December 2008, 11:58
http://flickr.com/photos/gjcharlet/3085946676/
A Pittsburg fan? ;)

A.F.F.
10th December 2008, 20:42
Does "pilu" not mean something quite naughty in finnish?

Yes it does not :D

Tomi
10th December 2008, 22:12
Does "pilu" not mean something quite naughty in finnish?

Actually its a part of an Estonian slogan they did use often in the past at Hietaniemi fleemarket, like this, pilu 10 markkaa.

bells401
13th December 2008, 09:14
Leafs won 2-1 over the sabres :D

veeten
13th December 2008, 12:03
Capitals 5, Senators 1...

and with talent from the most unlikely of places. ;) :D
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3765928

A.F.F.
13th December 2008, 14:05
Actually its a part of an Estonian slogan they did use often in the past at Hietaniemi fleemarket, like this, pilu 10 markkaa.

:laugh:

raikk
16th December 2008, 08:53
hello all :p : nice to see I'm joined by a fellow leafs fan , those habs fans are getting a bit ridiculous :p : (jk) ;)

Ive become a big fan of Nik Kulemin, he's even better then I thought and Matt Stajan? I would of never dreamed he would be close to a point per game player! good on Mississauga Matt :)

I'm not so sure what Burke has up his sleeves but surely after the holiday break we will find out! First one to get moved out will be either Ponikarovsky or Carlton the bear..

on a side note anyone hear about who Washington capitals called up for the goaltender for Fridays game? Brett Leonhart the web designer! pretty crazy stuff also the SanJose Sharks are on pace for 141 points I believe..

bells401
17th December 2008, 06:09
Another win for the leafs :eek:

Mark in Oshawa
17th December 2008, 06:46
Silly Leafs are messing up getting Tavares in the draft. Oh well....cant blame them for trying to win. Burke wont tank a season either. I will give him that...but part of me was hoping JUST once they could draft a geniune superstar in the making. Schenn is good...but not a superstar.

A.F.F.
18th December 2008, 16:56
What's the problem with Senators? Not that I want them to do good but I can't help but wondering since on paper the team looks better than they perform. Please, those who have seen their games, what's the hazzle?

schmenke
18th December 2008, 18:36
What's the problem with Senators? Not that I want them to do good but I can't help but wondering since on paper the team looks better than they perform. Please, those who have seen their games, what's the hazzle?

Goatending :mark:

Similarly, I'm concerned about the Habs :s . Carbaneau is messing about with his lines which is always a sign of desperation :mark:

A.F.F.
18th December 2008, 20:32

Is it purely due bad goaltending?

At the same time Bruins are in the zone which I didn't expect at all.

veeten
18th December 2008, 20:56
Nothing wrong with the Caps. :D

They can even put their web editor in as goalie and win games. :) :up:

Mark in Oshawa
18th December 2008, 23:34

Similarly, I'm concerned about the Habs :s . Carbaneau is messing about with his lines which is always a sign of desperation :mark:

Goaltending my hiney. The Damned Senators cant score and that is killing them. Gerber and Auld haven't been letting in so many goals they are getting killed but the Goals For allow no mistakes

AS for your Habs, there is nothing wrong with that team that having a good power forward wouldn't fix. I cannot fathom why Gainey cant get one.

DonJippo
19th December 2008, 13:44
Sundin finally decided where to play and joins Canucks for the rest of the season.

schmenke
19th December 2008, 14:50
Yep, makes the 'Nucks an even more offensive team. They stand a chance at the Cup this year.

Mark in Oshawa
20th December 2008, 14:31
Only if Luongo stays healthy. I don't think they have the quality on Defense tho. Need someone besides Ohlund back there moving the puck up...

A.F.F.
20th December 2008, 15:44
Speaking about their defense, Salo got his ribs broken :mark:

Btw. Nice to see you back Mark :up:

bells401
23rd December 2008, 17:35
Leafs thumped the thrashers last night 6-2 :D

Mark in Oshawa
24th December 2008, 16:51
Speaking about their defense, Salo got his ribs broken :mark:

Btw. Nice to see you back Mark :up:

Thank you sir. I was lurking and seeing posts from time to time but after a year of living up in the boonies and not having a decent internet service ( we could have had dialup but I didn't really consider it worth my time when I am only home for maybe 2 days at a time) I just sort of got on once in a while.

I am now moved back to the city where I can get a good highspeed hookup for a reasonable price and here I am.

Now...lol...on hockey, who is going to be paying attention to the World Junior Championships this holiday season besides us Canadians? John Tavares of my hometown Oshawa Generals is the top star for Canada as we go for a fourth straight title. I just wonder who else on the planet cares about this tournment in the way us silly Canadians do. It is a holiday tradition and I know on the 26th after having my parents over for dinner, my dad and I will open a few cold beers and watch Canada open their tournament....

A.F.F.
24th December 2008, 22:42
who is going to be paying attention to the World Junior Championships this holiday season besides us Canadians? John Tavares of my hometown Oshawa Generals is the top star for Canada as we go for a fourth straight title. I just wonder who else on the planet cares about this tournment in the way us silly Canadians do. It is a holiday tradition and I know on the 26th after having my parents over for dinner, my dad and I will open a few cold beers and watch Canada open their tournament....

:erm:

That would us, Finns.... well, some of us. :wave:

BTCC2
25th December 2008, 23:34
Elite League round up:

1. Sheffield Steeleers 44
2. Coventry Blaze 40
3. Nottingham Panthers 40
4. Belfast Giants 37
5. Manchester Phoenix 34
6. Cardiff Devils 31
7. Newcastle Vipers 27
8. Edinburgh Capitals 21
9. Hull Stingrays 16
10. Basingstoke Bison 16

This year we have been completely and utterly hopeless, it has been one of the toughest years to be a Vipers fan!

Mark in Oshawa
27th December 2008, 17:51
Canada 8, Czech Republic 1. I do know the Czechs aren't as bad as the score indicates but I am not sure how good or not good the Canadians are going to be, but for the most part they looked REALLY good....

AFF...I always root for the Finn's unless they play Canada. Even then...I cant work up a hatred. Too many Finnish friends online here and the fact you Finn's don't back down from the tough going as hockey players.....gotta like that.

Tomi
27th December 2008, 17:56
Better to wait until the quarter finals, in tournaments there is only a few important game.
I watched yesterday the first period of our game against Sweden, good thing was that there was not commercials like in NHL games, cant stand the standing and waiting.

Mark in Oshawa
29th December 2008, 02:06
Canada 15, Kazahakistan 0. Why is a nation who has only 12 rinks and 3500 hockey players put in the A pool at the World Juniors? I felt for those guys getting shelled because Canada cannot call off the dogs when goal differential is a tie breaker in the standings?

I often think the IIHF are morons and putting a nation in the A pool who cannot cut the mustard is not doing them any favours. This tournament used to be a 8 team tourney with Canada, USA, Finland, Sweden, Czech Rep. and Russia as the automatic top 6 based on their world rankings and the last two spots as qualifiers. Now they have 4 teams in their with no qualification except out of the B pool to this group of 4. It makes little sense and it leads to walkovers by countries who cant let up. Where is this good for the sport and the development of the young guys from these nations. Heck, they Kazak's lost to Germany 9-0. It isn't like the Germans are a power house but at least they can play one of the top 6 and make a game of it and win on occasion.

Mark in Oshawa
29th December 2008, 02:08
Elite League round up:

1. Sheffield Steeleers 44
2. Coventry Blaze 40
3. Nottingham Panthers 40
4. Belfast Giants 37
5. Manchester Phoenix 34
6. Cardiff Devils 31
7. Newcastle Vipers 27
8. Edinburgh Capitals 21
9. Hull Stingrays 16
10. Basingstoke Bison 16

This year we have been completely and utterly hopeless, it has been one of the toughest years to be a Vipers fan!

They had an interesting story in today's Toronto Sun on a player who plays for Manchester who once had a chance to play for the Oilers Farm system over here. He is the all time leader in British hockey scoring wise and it was a nice article. Maybe some day UK hockey will put players in the NHL........

bells401
29th December 2008, 17:30
Leafs lose to the caps, vesa has not been good :rolleyes:

DonJippo
29th December 2008, 18:19
I just wonder who else on the planet cares about this tournment in the way us silly Canadians do. It is a holiday tradition and I know on the 26th after having my parents over for dinner, my dad and I will open a few cold beers and watch Canada open their tournament....

Don't know if others cares it in away I know you do but it is something I wait every year :)

Mark in Oshawa
30th December 2008, 04:57
So far...the Finn's and Canadians care...lol

Tonight...Germany gave Canada a bit of a tussle for 2 periods before Canada won 5-1.

Mark in Oshawa
1st January 2009, 08:00
Happy New Year!!! Canada beats the USA in Pool A for first place. After going down 3-0 to the Americans, they come back and win 7-4 with a hatrick by John Taveres who has now tied a Canadian record for most goals in WJC history held by Jeff Carter with 12......I am getting a bit more optimistic now...

A.F.F.
1st January 2009, 17:51
And Finns are out :mark:

bells401
2nd January 2009, 07:11
leafs lost :rolleyes:

veeten
2nd January 2009, 13:51
Oh, those Caps. Another big win. :D

BTCC2
4th January 2009, 19:33
They had an interesting story in today's Toronto Sun on a player who plays for Manchester who once had a chance to play for the Oilers Farm system over here. He is the all time leader in British hockey scoring wise and it was a nice article. Maybe some day UK hockey will put players in the NHL........

Yeah Tony Hand. He's 41 and still going strong over here with the Phoenix. I genuinely think that if some NHL teams took the risk of taking on one of the leading players from the Elite League then they could just about handle the step up.

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2009, 03:11
Yeah Tony Hand. He's 41 and still going strong over here with the Phoenix. I genuinely think that if some NHL teams took the risk of taking on one of the leading players from the Elite League then they could just about handle the step up.

BTCC...this guy was your Wayne Gretzky and he didn't make the big club, he was getting an invite for the AHL. I think your best players are at or about that level maybe. It isn't to slight British hockey but until some UK natives make noise as a team at an international level (say qualify a team into the B pool or A at the World Championships or WJC) then it is really hard to say anymore than the odd player such as Hand would cut it past the AHL.

You are a big fan of British hockey and I am sure it is fun to watch and it looks like hockey you see on TV from over here, but the differences in coaching and talent are slight on the surface but it is large in actuality. You see nations such as Kazakhstan with one or two players in the NHL and AHL and they are barely able to have A pool status in the WJC and in the B pool status at the World Championship level. That last few steps are a long way up.

woody2goody
6th January 2009, 20:59
Hi guys not posted in the hockey thread for a while.

I think in theory most of the very top players in Britain could play 4th line NHL hockey but unfortunately not much higher. Mark Dutiaume (ex Sheffield and Coventry) played a couple of years in the NHL, very good player.

I saw Theo Fleury play once when he played for Belfast. He scored a goal and maybe made another couple. Definitely showed the difference between a very good veteran NHL player and EIHL players in their prime. I think our goaltending is surprisingly poor in Britain as well.

PS Tony Hand scored a heck of a lot of points in his early career.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=19065

It's great how he can still score more than a point a game, he must stay in good shape at 41 lol.

PPS GO AVS!!!!

schmenke
6th January 2009, 21:11
Time for the monthly supplemental picks in my pool. Since I'm picking third from last I'm hoping the Steve Mason is still available so I can dump that sieve Legace :s

A.F.F.
6th January 2009, 21:34
Mason has indeed had a great month. Just a hint schmenke. Pekka Rinne. :up: Almost as good as Bäckström.

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2009, 04:28
Hi guys not posted in the hockey thread for a while.

I think in theory most of the very top players in Britain could play 4th line NHL hockey but unfortunately not much higher. Mark Dutiaume (ex Sheffield and Coventry) played a couple of years in the NHL, very good player.

I saw Theo Fleury play once when he played for Belfast. He scored a goal and maybe made another couple. Definitely showed the difference between a very good veteran NHL player and EIHL players in their prime. I think our goaltending is surprisingly poor in Britain as well.

PS Tony Hand scored a heck of a lot of points in his early career.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=19065

It's great how he can still score more than a point a game, he must stay in good shape at 41 lol.

PPS GO AVS!!!!

Woody....you guys saw Theo at the end of his career but his conditioning wasn't likely all there and one player by himself cannot really shine too much under those circumstances. Also, as I said, at this level the differences don't look large but they are there. Many top Major Jr. A players who score 50 plus goals in Jr. hockey in Canada get drafted and are lucky to get 10 a year in the NHL....while others come out of nowhere to be stars. It isn't an exact science evaluating talent. Right now everyone keeps saying John Tavares of the Oshawa Generals who just scored 8 goals in the World Junior tourney in 6 games is the number one pick in this years NHL draft. Yet I suspect with his footspeed, he will be a limited player in the NHL. Yet if he went to England, I am sure he would light up the scoreboard, he has tremendous hands and puck sense but only in the NHL would his lack of speed be a detriment. The defense in the NHL is the huge difference. They are as fast as the forwards often and they hit harder and are well coached. You cant teach speed.....

veeten
7th January 2009, 12:02
first Mair with a off-ice 'argument', and now Andrew Peters gets bit... yes, bit, by Jarkko during the first period. :eek: :bigcry:

Well, as my dear mother used to say, "don't put your hands where they don't belong, okay?" :p : ;)

schmenke
7th January 2009, 14:33
This last incident just further demonstrates the idiot that Jarkko is :s

Tomi
7th January 2009, 15:43
This last incident just further demonstrates the idiot that Jarkko is :s

Agree, he is stupid, and has always been

A.F.F.
7th January 2009, 16:36
I watched the clip and the angle is that you can't see if he did bite him or not.

However, Jarkko Ruutu is an idiot.

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2009, 20:19
Lol...glad to see the Finnish hockey fan on here condemn Ruutu for his silliness. The problem with this guy is he needs better PR. If he was as manipulative of the press as Sean Avery, he too could be dating supermodels....

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2009, 20:20
Speaking of good looking women and hockey players..... apprently the cute and cuddly Carrie Underwood has realized football players are passe ( Tony Romo of the Cowboys was an old BF) and is dating Mike Fisher of the Ottawa Senators. Oh to be a hockey player.......

Easy Drifter
7th January 2009, 21:06
Thank God it isn't the new Senator Mike Duffy!!!!!!! :D
That is an inside Cdn. joke.

A.F.F.
7th January 2009, 23:03
Speaking of good looking women and hockey players..... apprently the cute and cuddly Carrie Underwood has realized football players are passe ( Tony Romo of the Cowboys was an old BF) and is dating Mike Fisher of the Ottawa Senators. Oh to be a hockey player.......

Is she going to dump countrymusic as well?

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2009, 23:40
AFF...lol...I don't think you cant take the country out of the girl. She is a farm kind from Oklahoma. It would be like asking you Finn's to give up your love of Vodka and Saunas....

schmenke
8th January 2009, 14:50
Good road trip for the Habs.
Good night for Robert Lang last night in New York :) .
Heck, even Gueey-ohm scored a goal :D

Mark in Oshawa
8th January 2009, 22:26
My hometown Oshawa Generals just traded their best defenseman Michael Del Zotto and the scoring machine that is John Taveres to London in the OHL. This bites......seeing two of the best junior hockey players in Canada in my hometown 31 games a year was a pleasure and management better rebuild and WIN for all the picks and younger prospects they are getting back. Trades in Jr. hockey always have been something I have thought as a little dirty and shady....they are too young to be traded like a piece of meat....

A.F.F.
9th January 2009, 23:25
Well, talking about Vancouver lately, Sundin surely didn't shine at his first outing in Canucks' shirt.

Who else we're yet to miss in the league?? Right, Jagr.. :mark:

bells401
10th January 2009, 02:08
THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS :eek:

Easy Drifter
10th January 2009, 04:39
The Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup every year----in Sept.
Trouble is by the time the actual playoffs begin the only thing the Leafs are playing is golf. ;)

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2009, 08:14
Bells...you are delusional like a great portion of the Leaf's Nation. Only the most optimistic person in the world who knows hockey could put them in the playoffs much less to the finals.

How about that Brad May by the way? Fighters are to add toughness the code says. People think blue collar guys with limited skills but great in the room are an asset. Great...so why did May fight 2 times against the Habs and the Leafs were NEVER IN THE DAMNED GAME!!!???

Brian Burke...you will have some splaining to do if you don't find TALENT instead of cement handed pluggers for the 4th line.....

BTCC2
10th January 2009, 23:40
Woody....you guys saw Theo at the end of his career but his conditioning wasn't likely all there and one player by himself cannot really shine too much under those circumstances. Also, as I said, at this level the differences don't look large but they are there. Many top Major Jr. A players who score 50 plus goals in Jr. hockey in Canada get drafted and are lucky to get 10 a year in the NHL....while others come out of nowhere to be stars. It isn't an exact science evaluating talent. Right now everyone keeps saying John Tavares of the Oshawa Generals who just scored 8 goals in the World Junior tourney in 6 games is the number one pick in this years NHL draft. Yet I suspect with his footspeed, he will be a limited player in the NHL. Yet if he went to England, I am sure he would light up the scoreboard, he has tremendous hands and puck sense but only in the NHL would his lack of speed be a detriment. The defense in the NHL is the huge difference. They are as fast as the forwards often and they hit harder and are well coached. You cant teach speed.....

Hopefully one day there will be a friendly match between an NHL team and an Elite League team.

A.F.F.
11th January 2009, 08:11
Guess what is that lazy basta*d Kari Lehtonen's only function in the league??? To make Vesa Toskala look good.

God for bid we have actually good goalies coming. Pekka Rinne, Karri Rämö and now Tuukka Rask, all soon playing.

Mark in Oshawa
11th January 2009, 20:31
Hopefully one day there will be a friendly match between an NHL team and an Elite League team.

You think so? Write a letter to Gary Bettman asking for NHL team to come over and play a British team in their pre season games. Since the NHL are playing games in Europe at the start of seasons now...it could happen. That said...the British league better have an allstar team ready and be in midseason shape because an NHL team would work them over pretty good. Trust me...if British hockey was at even an AHL level already...then the UK would have a team in the B or A pools at the World Hockey Championships. British hockey isn't at that level yet....

bells401
13th January 2009, 16:35
Go Leafs GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

schmenke
14th January 2009, 19:36
The Kessel-less Bruins expand their Eastern division lead by beating the Habs :( . Thomas has been impressive lately :up:

bells401
15th January 2009, 21:00
leafs play tonight, likely another loss :rolleyes:

bells401
17th January 2009, 02:35
Leafs just might win another :eek:

raikk
19th January 2009, 04:04
Leafs just might win another :eek:

we don't want that though... Tavareeesss Tavareessss lol

Mark in Oshawa
19th January 2009, 05:16
Raikk...as local Talk host Bob McCown put it, the goal of the Leafs is to suck on purpose. The problem is for so many years they did it in spite of themselves that they now have no clue on how to actually suck on purpose. Young players keep wanting to prove themselves and god love em, they have enough talent to not finish last.

We cant even lose right!!!

A.F.F.
27th January 2009, 04:46
Second half of the season is about to start.

Bruins are going to recall goalie Tuukka Rask to roster. It'll be interesting to see how he uses his moment.

A.F.F.
27th January 2009, 06:06
Another interesting thing...

Niklas Bäckström will be a free agent after this season and Minnesota Wild may want to sell him before that hence he may be too expensive player for the team.

Who needs desperately a top goalie?? Senators?

schmenke
27th January 2009, 14:37
Second half of the season is about to start.

Bruins are going to recall goalie Tuukka Rask to roster. It'll be interesting to see how he uses his moment.

I can't see him getting much ice time with Thomas as their primary goalie.
We're getting to that time of the season when teams start looking for a back-up goalie for the playoffs. Rumours are that the Flames are currently looking to replace McElhinney :mark:

schmenke
27th January 2009, 14:38
Another interesting thing...

Niklas Bäckström will be a free agent after this season and Minnesota Wild may want to sell him before that hence he may be too expensive player for the team.

Who needs desperately a top goalie?? Senators?

St. Louis :mark:

bells401
28th January 2009, 00:23
The leafs should be able to beat the Wild tonight......SHOULD is a strong word these days. :rolleyes:

El Libertador
28th January 2009, 02:41
Bergeron, Lucic, and Ferrence back with the Bruins, beat the Caps in OT! Glad Ovechkin's "injury" wasn't actually an injury. I hope Tuuka Rask goes back to Providence before this Sunday's game, I'm going to it and I'd like to see him in goal, but I won't be picky, at least St. Pierre and Sobotka are back. But that's not NHL, that's AHL.

On a less Bruins-centered note, any other Americans suffering through VERSUS hockey coverage? It's awful. I'm glad hockey isn't overly popular because it means less commercials so less disruption of the flow of the game (that's what's great about AHL games, NO TV timeouts at all), but come on, there's got to be better broadcasters than the VERSUS guys...

schmenke
28th January 2009, 15:00
Well, Deadmonton took a beating last night... :s
I'd like to see more of those East coast teams come through the West.

BTCC2
28th January 2009, 16:07
UK Elite League Round up:

1. Sheffield Steelers 65
2. Coventry Blaze 55
3. Belfst Giants 55
4. Nottingham Panthers 54
5. Manchester Phoenix 43
6. Cardiff Devils 39
7. Newcastle Vipers 34
8. Edinburgh Capitals 25
9. Hull Stingrays 25
10. Basingstoke Bison 19

Easy Drifter
28th January 2009, 17:11
Leafs gave Minnesota a scare last night. They actually scored the first goal.
Usual result though.

A.F.F.
29th January 2009, 21:12
FINALLY... Red Wings recall Ville Leino from AHL. Hopefully his chance turns out as effective as pre-season games in which he had 6 points in 8 games. But, I predict a pretty small role in star filled team :mark:

Mark in Oshawa
30th January 2009, 14:41
AFF...he will get his chances. The Wings are nursing a lot of injuries. Lindstrom is hurt, Zetterburg's back is bothering him, Datsyuk is hurting. They are a stacked team but they have a lot of bumps and bruises. The upside is Detroit just is cruising through the regular season, and they will come alive come playoff time.

Maybe your man Ville will stick around and be a part of that playoff run...

IN other news, the Leafs reminded everyone why Andrew Raycroft sucks lighting up the Av's last night for 7 goals.

schmenke
30th January 2009, 14:51
The Orange State wasn't kind to the Habs :s

On the pluse side, Koivu is back in form :)

Mark in Oshawa
30th January 2009, 16:10
Schmenke...I like you so I wasn't going to point out the Habs lost 4 in a row!

schmenke
30th January 2009, 19:12
Yeah, I know... some things are just not worth mentioning... :uhoh:

Mark in Oshawa
31st January 2009, 05:35
Yeah, I know... some things are just not worth mentioning... :uhoh:

Of course not. Being a Leaf's fan with a brain means just sitting quietly in the corner.....moaning and speaking in tongues....We have no business gloating when the Hab's lose.

El Libertador
31st January 2009, 22:51
Bruins started Tuukka Rask in goal today, first NHL shutout for him. It's looking like if the Bruins make the playoffs (which they should, even with all the injuries they were a good team, but who knows what will happen) they'll trade Manny Fernandez for a really experienced playoff guy and keep Timmy and Tuukka. Habs tomorrow, I'll be in Providence for the Providence Bruins game, but it's worth taping and watching instead of the Super Bowl. The Bruins should've scored more than 1 goal today (but they didn't, so who cares what they should've done), their offense looked really good even without the results. Should be a fun game.

Mark in Oshawa
1st February 2009, 06:54
El Lib, I am picking the Bruins to at least make the final 4 of the league if not the actual Stanley Cup finals. They just sort of woke up and realized they had the parts and pieces to be a really good team and I give 100% of the credit for the big turn around to Claude Julien. He has those guys convinced they can do it and he has given them the system to be successful. Add in some hot rookies like Lucic and Blake Wheeler and they have it going. I saw Savard a lot in Junior as he was the cornerstone of some really good Oshawa General teams and I always knew he could be that good if he just found the right coach, and a team to work with. I always have been a Bruins fan of sorts since the Generals back in the Original Six days of the late 50's and into the 60's were the farm junior team (back when they had 14 year olds signed to C forms) of the Bruins. With Orr, Sinden, Cashman, Middleton, O'Reilly, Awrey and Doak all being ex Oshawa Generals (Sinden and O'Reilly were Oshawa natives), it was hard to find many in this burg of my generation and older who didn't cheer for the Bruins for a lot of years.

Easy Drifter
1st February 2009, 07:30
Try 12 years old in my case. :D

bells401
1st February 2009, 17:46
Leafs won 2 straight, can ya beleive it :eek:

Easy Drifter
1st February 2009, 20:10
I wonder if there is any truth to the rumour the Leafs are trying to get Cousin Weak Eyes and the Boomer out of retirement? (Johnny Bower and Bobby Baun)
If one of todays' players ever got hit by one of Baun's open ice hip checks they would be done for a season. Man did you ever feel those. I know!!

Mark in Oshawa
1st February 2009, 21:28
Drifter....back then no one wore any equipment that would protect you in the way these guys are now.

Bower on the other hand should be teaching Toskala the poke check he mastered in all those old highlights.

Speaking of old time hockey, Schmenke, if you saw the Bruins/Habs game today...please tell me you giggled when you saw the throwback uni's the Canadiens were using. God...they make the Silver Seven barberpole style uni's look good....

A.F.F.
1st February 2009, 21:37
Me so happy. :)

Ville Leino scored in his first NHL outing. It must have been quite a feeling to play alongside guy like Datsyak :up:

Also, what are Leafs thinking by selling Tuukka Rask to Boston. Already heavy machinery on goal and Rask's shutdown... happy playoffs.

A.F.F.
2nd February 2009, 09:57
Oh... in case you missed Leino's goal, here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y32XFl3NsUA

Pretty cool, eh? :)

Mark in Oshawa
2nd February 2009, 13:56
Still trying to figure out when the defensemen for Washington was going to pay for his ticket. He was just spectating.....nice bit of stick handling just the same though.

As for Rask, don't remind me about that trade AFF....it is too frustrating for words. Espeicially now when Toskala is just looking like he has lost his way. Oh well, they play bad enough and we will get John Taveres in the draft!!!

schmenke
2nd February 2009, 14:26
...Speaking of old time hockey, Schmenke, if you saw the Bruins/Habs game today...please tell me you giggled when you saw the throwback uni's the Canadiens were using. God...they make the Silver Seven barberpole style uni's look good....

Good Lord, what were they thinking back then? :s hock:

Yep, Claude Julien has turned the Bruins around. They have everything required to win a cup... talent, depth, specialty teams, goaltending.

Speaking of goaltending, I noticed Pekka Rinne started again for Nashville. Looks like he may have convinced Trotz that he's worthy of no. 1 status.

schmenke
2nd February 2009, 14:27
Oh... in case you missed Leino's goal, here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y32XFl3NsUA

Pretty cool, eh? :)

Yep, saw it on the evening highlights :)

A.F.F.
2nd February 2009, 17:47
Pekka Rinne has been amazing.

Have you guys seen Predators' games. In what role they keep Antti Pihlström?

El Libertador
2nd February 2009, 20:18
Really glad the Bruins beat the Habs...again. I don't want to be overconfident but I'd love to see them make the Stanley Cup finals. It'll be tough, they haven't been great against New Jersey or Washington. But it'd be really nice this year since a lot of guys are free agents after this season.

Went to the Providence game, a lot of fun, they beat Worcester 2-1. Tuuka Rask may be the Finn of the future but I've got another Finnish Boston prospect on my list now: Mikko Lehtonen (there are two Mikko Lehtonens in professional hockey, this one was born in 1987 and is from Espoo). He scored both of the goals and is a pretty big guy (6'4" and 205).

Mark in Oshawa
2nd February 2009, 22:36
This just in....the Ottawa Senators fired their coach. Me thinks they fired the wrong guy. That doofus Bryan Murray basically overpaid for a lot of forwards, couldn't afford the defensemen that made the team go and cant find a goalie. The GM is the damned problem, not a good coach like Craig Hartsburg.

schmenke
5th February 2009, 16:42
Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just scored tickets to the Habs vs. Flames game on Monday at the 'Dome :up:
I shall be appropriately adorned in full "tri-couleurs" attire :D

Lang out for the season with a severed achille's tendon :(
Latendresse out until the end of the month with a shoulder injury (o.k., no big loss there :p : )

On the plus side, another stellar performance by the Leafs last nite :disturb:

A.F.F.
5th February 2009, 19:36
And I'm happy because february's free channel from my cable company is ESPN America. I finally get to see some games :up:

Easy Drifter
5th February 2009, 21:41
When I first saw the thread in INDY racing 'Milka Duno to NHL' I though the Toronto Maple Laffs had really gone nuts. :D

A.F.F.
6th February 2009, 12:08
When Niklas Bäckström, Pekka Rinne, Mikko Koivu etc are playing very strong, Vesa Toskala(Leafs), Kari Lehtonen(Trashers) and Jussi Jokinen(Lightning) are being bashed as lazy and no good. And they are being bashed for a reason. Toskala was much better when he had to compete with Nabokov, he was more on the edge. Lehtonen is most over-rated goalie in NHL history. And Jussi Jokinen isn't just good enough. I just don't think he is NHL material.

Just makes me mad that players like Toskala, Lehtonen and Jokinen get to play when Leino(DET), Pesonen(PIT) and Lepistö(WAS) are sitting on the bench, if even there :mark:

schmenke
6th February 2009, 14:16
...Just makes me mad that players like Toskala, Lehtonen and Jokinen get to play when Leino(DET), Pesonen(PIT) and Lepistö(WAS) are sitting on the bench, if even there :mark:

Well, Detroit already has two starting goalies, and both Fleury and Theodore are contracted as no. 1 goalies :mark:

Speaking of goalies, Kiprusoff lost another one last night. He's performance has been sub-par lately :mark:

A.F.F.
6th February 2009, 22:30
Sorry, my bad. Leino and Pesonen are forwards and Lepistö defense. I just mentioned them because they are actually very good players but don't fit in their super teams... yet.

Mark in Oshawa
7th February 2009, 06:55
Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just scored tickets to the Habs vs. Flames game on Monday at the 'Dome :up:
I shall be appropriately adorned in full "tri-couleurs" attire :D

Lang out for the season with a severed achille's tendon :(
Latendresse out until the end of the month with a shoulder injury (o.k., no big loss there :p : )

On the plus side, another stellar performance by the Leafs last nite :disturb:

Just what the world needs. Calgary vs. the Habs. If not for the Leafs I would suggest that this would be a battle of two teams that should be playing better trying to get off losing streaks, but the Habs will likely beat on the Leafs. Which is FINE. For a change, us Leaf's fans WANT to be behind the Islanders and Senators. Gotta get moving on that. Hopefully Joesph starts a game here and there....lol

Mark in Oshawa
7th February 2009, 07:00
Oh yes...Just for fun and to keep this thread interesting, I thought us hockey fans should hold court and maybe put together some all time teams. I realize that the Finnish contingent will have players on their all time teams maybe us Canucks and Americans haven't heard of it but hey, I might learn something too eh?

I will put my starting 5 out there: Goal, Patrick Roy, Defense Larry Robinson and Bobby Orr, Forwards Gretzky, Beliveau and Richard. (hate to leave Gordie Howe off that list but he would be my second line eh?)

schmenke
12th February 2009, 14:42
FOR SALE:

Slightly used red, white and blue jersey. Best offer, or trade for any other colour (except blue and white).

:s

A.F.F.
12th February 2009, 18:44
Yep, that was a hard day to be a Habs fan :mark:

schmenke
12th February 2009, 19:02
It's been a hard couple of weeks.
Habs have lost 8 out of their last 10. During the last two games they've been out-scored 13 - 4 :s

Mark in Oshawa
14th February 2009, 05:25
FOR SALE:

Slightly used red, white and blue jersey. Best offer, or trade for any other colour (except blue and white).

:s

Son..you aint begun to suffer. Try the mental cruelty that comes with living in the world of being a Toronto Maple Leaf fan...

A.F.F.
16th February 2009, 07:09
At Mark, you have been talking about the importance of Pond Hockey in the development of young players. I read an article of Ville Leino and it turns out that he has a history of open ice. The reporter called him the last of his kind and it easy to see why. 99 rookies out 100 would have passed the puck to Hossa but not Ville Leino when he scored his first official NHL goal. That scoring alone shows what kind of player he is and he is going to be. Bold, arrogant, witty, creative....He has the chance to be one of the best if he stays healthy and hard working.

A.F.F.
17th February 2009, 07:56
Senators finally has woken up. What do you think, there still is long way to playoffs, you think Ottawa is there ??

bells401
19th February 2009, 20:46
Senators finally has woken up. What do you think, there still is long way to playoffs, you think Ottawa is there ??

Nah unlike the leafs i think its too late for both sens and leafs, better luck next year perhaps :rolleyes:

A.F.F.
20th February 2009, 08:00
You're probably right...

schmenke
20th February 2009, 14:43
At this rate the Habs will lose a playoff spot, with or without Kovalev :s

Mark in Oshawa
21st February 2009, 21:24
Schmenke, I turn on the Sirius every day for "Hockey Night In Canada" radio and I keep hearing about the Habs losing and I keep wondering if you want that blue and white jersey I have in my closet......

Oh well...the Senators still suck worse eh?

A.F.F.
24th February 2009, 13:53
I hope the rumours turn true and Habs get OJ from Coyotes. He knows Koivu well and is a pure and tough scorer, pretty much what Habs could use now.

edv
26th February 2009, 15:50
Q: The Stanley Cup was in my town yesterday and I sipped from the Cup. Should I worry about getting Listeria?
A: No, the Cup has not been in contact with any Maple Leaf products for over 40 years.

schmenke
26th February 2009, 18:24
Yuk, yuk, yuk :D

(don't think the Finns will get that one ;) )

Mark in Oshawa
28th February 2009, 16:04
Q: The Stanley Cup was in my town yesterday and I sipped from the Cup. Should I worry about getting Listeria?
A: No, the Cup has not been in contact with any Maple Leaf products for over 40 years.

You know....you are quite right. Maybe in another 40 years when I am in the nursing home and drooling, they will be in the finals, and I will croak halfway through Game 7....

schmenke
2nd March 2009, 14:52
A wild one in the 'Dome last night... not exactly stellar goal-tending performances by either team :s

A.F.F.
6th March 2009, 08:34
OJ was in flames last night. Now he finally is in good team and along with Iginla and Cammalleri he will do some serious damage :up:

Mark in Oshawa
6th March 2009, 15:41
Stupid Leafs. They take a guy who drove the Senators to the bottom of the league on waivers to be the goalie ( I am of the "tank it baby tank it" philosophy to get a good draft pick ) and the guy stops 37 out of 38 shots and almost nails a shut out. The stupid Leafs cannot even LOSE when they should.....

It was an interesting trade deadline and the Flames picked up one heck of a hockey player in Jokinen and I heard that Keenan wanted him so it will likely be a good fit for him in Calgary....

schmenke
6th March 2009, 17:35
OJ was in flames last night. Now he finally is in good team and along with Iginla and Cammalleri he will do some serious damage :up:

It certainly looks that way! :up:

All in all, a pretty calm trade deadline :mark:

A.F.F.
8th March 2009, 06:47
:eek:

Unbelievable round last night.

Just take a look at the scoretable. Islanders 7, Devils 3, Brodeur out.

Blue jackets 8, Red Wings 2.

Hurricanes 9, Lightnings 3.

And Wild continues to loose, Bacström had a terrible night and soon they don't fit in the play offs anymore :(

schmenke
10th March 2009, 13:50
Carbanneau sacked. Gainey has taken over has interim head coach. Sign of desperation from a team trying to ensure a playoff spot :dozey: