PDA

View Full Version : You're / Your

ShiftingGears
4th September 2008, 07:28
You're is used to denote possession in the second person.

eg
You're post is entirely wrong.

Your is a contraction of "you are".
eg
Your really bad at using grammar correctly.

Let this be a lesson to all!

leopard
4th September 2008, 07:38
Thanks, who else did buy this lesson?

Hawkmoon
4th September 2008, 07:38
Ah, I think you've got that arse-about-face there mate.

ShiftingGears
4th September 2008, 07:39
Ah, I think you've got that arse-about-face there mate.

;)

Hawkmoon
4th September 2008, 07:42
;)

Sorry. It's been a long day. :)

GridGirl
4th September 2008, 08:19
No wonder the kids of today are screwed. :p To complete you should of given a definition of text spreak -UR. ;)

MrJan
4th September 2008, 13:18

eg

eg

Ironically you got that wrong, it should be "Your real bad at using grammar rite" ;) :p :

Actually talking of grammar reminds me of a month this year when my mate Dan spent all day correcting people's grammar, he called it GrammaDan :D

Rollo
4th September 2008, 13:24
You're rong about your yaw of yore?
Alas poor Yoric...

Alas poor Ciroy I knew him backwards.

pino
4th September 2008, 14:02
Hey don't confuse me...I am still learning english :o : :p :

MrJan
4th September 2008, 14:15

Me too :D

Mark
4th September 2008, 14:22
Have a read of this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7595509.stm

Brown, Jon Brow
4th September 2008, 14:40
What is this? Some kind of joke!

MrJan
4th September 2008, 14:50
An Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman walk into a pub. The barman looks up and says:

What is this? Some kind of joke!

Drew
4th September 2008, 16:00
No wonder the kids of today are screwed. :p To complete you should of given a definition of text spreak -UR. ;)

should HAVE!

Sorry, I simply couldn't resist. Everybody knows if you post in a grammar / spelling post you're asking to be attacked :p :

Brown, Jon Brow
4th September 2008, 16:27
There/Their/They're

These ones can make a sentence confusing if they are not used correctly.

Dr. Krogshöj
4th September 2008, 17:32

Never mind, it's a mistake only native speakers make.

fandango
4th September 2008, 17:54
What's interesting about English grammar correction between native speakers of English is how it's so often used as a stick to beat someone down with (or a stick with which to beat someone down).

Grammar hasn't been taught well for many years, and still some people get so offended when they see mistakes (including me, at times). What bothers me is laziness. If you can't take the time to write correctly, how can you expect anyone to take the time to read correctly?

I think it's good to correct mistakes, but why do people have to get up on their high horse about it? What do they expect people to say, "thank you for talking down to me"? And I don't think it has much to do with intelligence.

MrJan
4th September 2008, 18:05
Grammar hasn't been taught well for many years, and still some people get so offended when they see mistakes (including me, at times). What bothers me is laziness. If you can't take the time to write correctly, how can you expect anyone to take the time to read correctly?

I agree. I'm 23 and was never really taught grammar except by my parents so I often make the usual mistakes. Laziness also really gets on my nerves which is why going on forums is a nightmare. The forum for my football team has some young kids on it and it's bloody difficult trying to work out what they are saying, especially as none of the buggers use punctuation in any known format.

Take this genius answer to a question of whether people prefer losing games but in the league or winning games but in the conference:

in the league everytime.would rather lose to shewsbury and play barrow away or set foot in the dripping pan!

I didn't even search for that post and have copied it exactly as it was written. I think he meant:

In the league every time. I would rather lose to Shrewsbury than play Barrow away or set foot in The Dripping Pan [football ground]

It's not perfect but it doesn't take any more time and by God it's easier to read :)

Drew
4th September 2008, 18:46
I Hate People That Start Every Word With A Capital Letter :p :

Vez
4th September 2008, 18:48

eg

eg

Actually you've got them the wrong way round.

You're is the shorten version of "you are"
(eg. You're in my house)

and

Your is used to denote possession - something that belongs to you.
(eg. That's your car)

Any time you have a ' in a word it's because it has been shorten - has a letter or two missing.

Here are some examples:
They are = They're
You have = You've
It is or It has = It's
I will = I'll
I am = I'm
etc etc

veeten
4th September 2008, 18:58
of course there is the conundrums of the subtle differences between Australian, American, and 'the Queen's' english...

but why go into all that? :p :

jim mcglinchey
4th September 2008, 20:33
I read " No Country for Old Men " and McCarthy is one of the worst culprits for that thing where you replace " have " in, for example, " You shouldn't have done that " with " ..of.. " so it reads " you shouldnt of done that" . So bloody annoying.

schmenke
4th September 2008, 21:02
I Hate People That Start Every Word With A Capital Letter :p :

WHAT ARE YOU GOING ON ABOUT?

schmenke
4th September 2008, 21:07
Below is a short e-mail sent to me today by a co-worker; copied exactly as it was sent:

"hi peter,
ds-05-300-hi-418
ds-05-300-hi-419

these documents need to be issued for procurement and there's no milestone code set up for it"

We work for a (supposedly) professional services company.
:mark:

fandango
4th September 2008, 21:34
of course there is the conundrums of the subtle differences between Australian, American, and 'the Queen's' english...

but why go into all that? :p :

Not to mention Hiberno-English (the English spoken in Ireland, oh 'tis yeah).

For example, cupboard. There's a word I spend ages teaching people. The pronunciation is really hard for people here, and in Ireland we say press.

leopard
5th September 2008, 03:25
I'd buy post #20 with my highest bid...

pino
5th September 2008, 05:17

(eg. You're in my house)

and

(eg. That's your car)

Any time you have a ' in a word it's because it has been shorten - has a letter or two missing.

Here are some examples:
They are = They're
You have = You've
It is or It has = It's
I will = I'll
I am = I'm
etc etc

Thanks hon but I am sure everyone knew this...well I did :p :

Storm
5th September 2008, 05:28
pino , if you know it then everybody else surely does too... :p :

A.F.F.
5th September 2008, 05:50
What I like this forum is that it has been so forgiving... until now :mark: ;)

leopard
5th September 2008, 06:57
Forgiveness shouldn't be inhibited by error from learning grammar or anything, we learned a lot of having alert of cautionary. :s ;)

ShiftingGears
5th September 2008, 07:00

(eg. You're in my house)

and

(eg. That's your car)

Here are some examples:
They are = They're
You have = You've
It is or It has = It's
I will = I'll
I am = I'm
etc etc

IT'S IRONY

GridGirl
5th September 2008, 08:35
Who needs to know grammar anyway when you can get the secretaries at work to type out your letters and post them for you. ;)

Mark
5th September 2008, 08:39
IT'S IRONY

It's like when you put up pictures of two people who look very similar to each other and of course you deliberately put the wrong names under each picture. Then some bright spark comes along to say you've made a mistake :rolleyes:

Mark
5th September 2008, 08:41
Personally, and it's forum rules to an extent too, I don't really mind if people get the odd thing wrong, because I do myself. What I'm bothered about is that people put some effort in to make themselves understood. Forgetting punctuation, capital letters, writing in text speak isn't clever, it's just lazy, and means you are telling the reader to put extra effort in to work out what you are saying, which is just selfish!

Daniel
5th September 2008, 09:33
Personally, and it's forum rules to an extent too, I don't really mind if people get the odd thing wrong, because I do myself. What I'm bothered about is that people put some effort in to make themselves understood. Forgetting punctuation, capital letters, writing in text speak isn't clever, it's just lazy, and means you are telling the reader to put extra effort in to work out what you are saying, which is just selfish!
Wot About People Who Capitalise The First Letter Every Word? :p

MrJan
5th September 2008, 12:07

Their ( ;) ) F%#@ing Numpties I Tells U :D

LotusElise
5th September 2008, 22:14

Why [I]do[I] some people do that on forums? It's not something I've come across at all in real life.

Daniel
5th September 2008, 22:35
Why [i]do[i] some people do that on forums? It's not something I've come across at all in real life.
Because they're idiots :)

Hello LotusElise :wave: :p

Drew
6th September 2008, 02:36
Why [I]do[I] some people do that on forums? It's not something I've come across at all in real life.

In real life, they are the local radio djs...

PuddleJumper
6th September 2008, 22:43
Never mind, it's a mistake only native speakers make.
Too true! I very rarely see words like your and you're, or there and their, being used the wrong way round by people who speak English only as a second language. It drives me crazy when people who should know, don't, or do know but can't be bothered to check what they've written.

I'm often reminded of an episode of 'Friends' in which Rachel writes a rather long letter to Ross, filled with yours and you'res the wrong way round. As an argument breaks out, Ross screams at Rachel that "Y, O, U, R, means your. Y, O, U, apostrophe, R, E, means YOU ARE!"

I feel like doing that sometimes.

PuddleJumper
6th September 2008, 23:07
I think it's good to correct mistakes, but why do people have to get up on their high horse about it? What do they expect people to say, "thank you for talking down to me"? And I don't think it has much to do with intelligence.
Sometimes, these simple mix-ups are genuine mistakes, but mostly it's down to laziness - either laziness when learning English in the first place, or laziness when it comes to checking what you've written. I see these errors day in, day out. On forums, in emails from work colleagues and increasingly in places where it shouldn't happen at all, like in newspapers or on well-respected websites.