PDA

View Full Version : 1st time to Chicagoland, what to expect

champmember
3rd September 2008, 18:04
Hello,

I have been to numerous CHAMP Car races over the years, but never to an IRL event.

At the champ car events, the pit area was approachable and you could wander around the transporters freely. Is any of this possible at Chicagoland (I know they have garages instead of working out of the tents)? I think for the NASCAR race, they make you buy a pit pass.

Basically, what should I be prepared for and expect??

Thanks

The instant classic
3rd September 2008, 18:13
i wolud like to know the same,cuz im going to Chicagoland on thrsday, i missed indy, but i wont miss this race, going to met up with my gf down there, sholud be fun, i just hope its a great race, for us both champmember

garyshell
3rd September 2008, 20:08
For those lucky souls heading off to Chicago, I thought I'd send along my own personal travel guide to GOOD food. (My best friend lives there and I make it up a few times a year).

Here are my three FAVORITE places to eat there!
Mac's
1801 W Division St
Chicago, IL 60622
(773) 782-4400
http://chicago.citysearch.com/profile/11649767/

The duck salad and roasted tomato soup are unbelievable and at a GREAT price. ($12 for the Salad, $6 for the soup) Great selection of beers, including cask drawn ales.

---------------------------------------

CHICAGO PIZZA AND OVEN GRINDER COMPANY
2121 NORTH CLARK STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60614
773-248-2570
http://www.chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/[/color]
They make an "upside down" pizza. Take a bowl, line it with cheese, ladle in sauce, (meat or veggie), cover with crust and bake. They bring it to your table, turn it upside down and voilą' Chicago deep dish pizza. Unbelievable good. Go mid afternoon (3:00PM) or expect to wait a while, they do NOT take reservations or credit cards.

---------------------------------

And in Chinatown, this is the place where the locals eat. If you go ask for a “village menu” it’s a Xeroxed sheet of the things the locals like to eat. It is open latter than most places!

Emperor's Choice
2238 S Wentworth Ave
Chicago, IL 60616
(312) 225-8800
http://dinesite.com/info/rstrnt-17002/??&t=0

Gary

16&Gtown
3rd September 2008, 20:43
My first time to chicagoland as well. Hopefully it's a good experience for us all!

champmember
3rd September 2008, 20:55
If we are talking food:

If you want great sea food (and want to go to Chicago) there is only one place to go in my opinion

Shaws Crab House
21 E. Hubbard St.
Chicago, IL 60611
312-527-2722

For those of you who are staying local, I would suggest checking out

Senor Tequila's
2219 W Jefferson St
Joliet, IL 60435
Phone: (815) 730-9770

Margaritas the size of fish bowls and the servers carry tequila bottles on the belts!....oh good mexican food as well.

If you want decent food close to the track:

Williamsons reseraunt and bar (on route 30 right next to the I80 interchange, in front of the Kmart) Great totilla crusted Talipia and normal menu items
1490 W Maple St (us Rt 30)
New Lenox, IL 60451
(815) 485-8585

Papa Joes (Italian food and great stuffed pizza)
400 W Maple St (rt 30 east of the I80 interchange)
New Lenox, IL 60451
(815) 463-5637

rundgy
3rd September 2008, 21:02
Hello,

I have been to numerous CHAMP Car races over the years, but never to an IRL event.

At the champ car events, the pit area was approachable and you could wander around the transporters freely. Is any of this possible at Chicagoland (I know they have garages instead of working out of the tents)? I think for the NASCAR race, they make you buy a pit pass.

Basically, what should I be prepared for and expect??

Thanks

If you have a pit/paddock pass everything is very approachable, the area where the drivers have their buses is gated and guarded but if they are in the garage or pit area and you have a pass they're accessible. If you just have a grandstand pass you will be able to get in the pit area just like most tracks. I will be working pit security there, much better than NASCAR. As far as food goes Chicago can be 45 to 60 minutes away from Joliet.

champmember
3rd September 2008, 21:25
If you have a pit/paddock pass everything is very approachable, the area where the drivers have their buses is gated and guarded but if they are in the garage or pit area and you have a pass they're accessible. If you just have a grandstand pass you will be able to get in the pit area just like most tracks. I will be working pit security there, much better than NASCAR. As far as food goes Chicago can be 45 to 60 minutes away from Joliet.

Thank You,

Since I posted this in the morning, things have changed and my contacts came through with full credentials so I don't have to worry any more. It is quite sad that it will be my first race at the track even though I can hear the cars from my house.

I used to work in ChampCar so never made it to any IRL races. I have been going to the drag strip since it opened though....just never the oval track.

Scheckterfan54
4th September 2008, 12:06
There is also a great Greek restaurant in Joliet. Due to some long nights there, I cannot remember the name of it, but if you are traveling west on I-55, it is the first real exit after entering freeway from the racetrack, then it is about 1/2 mile North on the right side. I recomend this place for everybody, sorry I do not know/recall the name or address.

7th September 2008, 12:32
just been browsing and came across www.watchesshopping.net (http://www.watchesshopping.net) there prices seem to be way lower that standard. All of the watches seem to be priced around $200 to $300. Are they fakes? The site seems to look quite legit.