PDA

View Full Version : Who will be Champion ?

pino
3rd September 2008, 13:26
About time to update this ;) so who's going to win and why ? ;)

Knock-on
3rd September 2008, 13:32
About time to update this ;) so who's going to win and why ? ;)

Don't forget Ant and Sato :)

pino
3rd September 2008, 13:35
Don't forget Ant and Sato :)

Don't forget your pills :p : ;)

pino
3rd September 2008, 13:55
Back to topic I voted for Kimi, I think He still can do it as Montezemolo said :p :

ArrowsFA1
3rd September 2008, 14:14
Hamilton.

He's won a couple titles in his second year racing in the series i.e. Formula Renault and F3 which shows he learns from experience. He won GP2 as a rookie and almost did the same in F1 which suggests, among other things, that he's getting better as a driver as time goes on.

The McLaren has shown itself to be consistently competitive, and Lewis has the edge over his team-mate. That is an advantage given that Kimi & Felipe seem to be tripping over themselves at times to get points, and I do think Lewis is mentally stronger than Felipe. Kimi, of course, has won a WDC so he knows what it takes. Whether he can still do it is another question. After last season I certainly wouldn't rule him out!

harsha
3rd September 2008, 14:41
if Kimi and Massa start taking points of each other,they will play right into Lewis's Hands

Knock-on
3rd September 2008, 14:58
Don't forget your pills :p : ;)

That sounds suspiciously like a personal attack you 'orrible little midget :p

Give yourself 3 points infraction and 10 Hail Marys.

ioan
3rd September 2008, 16:31
if Kimi and Massa start taking points of each other,they will play right into Lewis's Hands

I never understood the logic behind this idea.

Knock-on
3rd September 2008, 16:37
I never understood the logic behind this idea.

That's because since the Schumacher era, Ferrari drivers haven't taken points off each other so you wouldn't know ;)

ioan
3rd September 2008, 17:26
That's because since the Schumacher era, Ferrari drivers haven't taken points off each other so you wouldn't know ;)

Come on, I can't see how is it possible that if Felipe and Kimi are 1st and 2nd at the end of the race they are taking points of each other and thus advantaging Hamilton who comes 3rd and loses points to both of them?! :confused:

And even if Hamilton wins and both Ferrari drivers come 2nd and 3rd they are first of all both losing points to Hamilton, not taking points of each other.

Also in order to "take points of each other" implies that they must finish in consecutive positions.

All in all this idea that two drivers in the same team are taking points of each other and thus a third one will win the title is some kind of forum legend IMO.

Sleeper
3rd September 2008, 19:14
Hamilton.

I dont think Ferrari has had a clean weekend since Canada (at least, no faults with the drivers or car, other peoples accidents dont count). Kimi's exhaust was falling off in France, tyre choice was screwy in Britain and Massa forgot how to drive in the wet, Brake problems in Hockenheim and Kimi ha been off form since then, engine failures in Hungary and Spain and high profile pit mistakes in Spain as well. Doesnt sound like a championship challenge, though they have got the faster car.

Viktory
3rd September 2008, 20:26
Massa :up:

Hawkmoon
3rd September 2008, 23:29
Come on, I can't see how is it possible that if Felipe and Kimi are 1st and 2nd at the end of the race they are taking points of each other and thus advantaging Hamilton who comes 3rd and loses points to both of them?! :confused:

And even if Hamilton wins and both Ferrari drivers come 2nd and 3rd they are first of all both losing points to Hamilton, not taking points of each other.

Also in order to "take points of each other" implies that they must finish in consecutive positions.

All in all this idea that two drivers in the same team are taking points of each other and thus a third one will win the title is some kind of forum legend IMO.

Look at it this way ioan. If Massa and Raikkonen finnish 1-2 at Spa with Hamilton 3rd then Massa will take 4 points out of the Brit and Raikkonen 2 points. That will leave Massa 2 points behind and Raikkonen 11 points.

Now imagine that at Monza Raikkonen leads a Ferrari 1-2 (the gods be praised!) over Hamilton 3rd. That will mean that Raikkonen closes the gap by 4 points and Massa by 2. This puts Hamilton and Massa equal and Raikkonen 7 points behind them both. BUT, if Ferrari are backing 1 driver only (say Massa because he's in front at the moment) they will ask Raikkonen to move over giving Massa the extra 2 points and the lead of the championship. That's what people mean by taking points of each other.

McLaren don't have this problem as Kovalainen is a nice No.2 who rarely gets in front of Hamilton anyway. Ferrari's drivers take it in turns to be in front so neither is getting the maximum number of points possible from each GP. This is what will hand Hamilton the title. Neither Ferrari driver has been able to grasp the ascendency in the team and keep it.

Does anybody want to bet against Raikkonen being ahead of Massa at Spa? I certainly wouldn't and I don't think Ferrari would either. I think the best thing that could happen to Ferrari's WDC chances is for Raikkonen to have another off-form GP forcing Ferrari to back Massa. Not that I don't want Raikkonen to win it, I just want a Ferrari driver to win it and unless they work as a team I don't think they will.

MrJan
3rd September 2008, 23:32
I'm not going to say who I voted for because this thread is only goin to decent in the usually Ferrari/McLaren bull**** and eventually people will compare Hamilton to Schumacher and those 2 to Senna and Prost and then some wag will suggest Fangio and Clark and then someone will insult someone else and we'll all get banned and the thread will be closed so we'll have to hijack another thread to discuss the same old crap some more :D :p :

ioan
3rd September 2008, 23:49
Look at it this way ioan. If Massa and Raikkonen finnish 1-2 at Spa with Hamilton 3rd then Massa will take 4 points out of the Brit and Raikkonen 2 points. That will leave Massa 2 points behind and Raikkonen 11 points.

Now imagine that at Monza Raikkonen leads a Ferrari 1-2 (the gods be praised!) over Hamilton 3rd. That will mean that Raikkonen closes the gap by 4 points and Massa by 2. This puts Hamilton and Massa equal and Raikkonen 7 points behind them both. BUT, if Ferrari are backing 1 driver only (say Massa because he's in front at the moment) they will ask Raikkonen to move over giving Massa the extra 2 points and the lead of the championship. That's what people mean by taking points of each other.

McLaren don't have this problem as Kovalainen is a nice No.2 who rarely gets in front of Hamilton anyway. Ferrari's drivers take it in turns to be in front so neither is getting the maximum number of points possible from each GP. This is what will hand Hamilton the title. Neither Ferrari driver has been able to grasp the ascendency in the team and keep it.

Does anybody want to bet against Raikkonen being ahead of Massa at Spa? I certainly wouldn't and I don't think Ferrari would either. I think the best thing that could happen to Ferrari's WDC chances is for Raikkonen to have another off-form GP forcing Ferrari to back Massa. Not that I don't want Raikkonen to win it, I just want a Ferrari driver to win it and unless they work as a team I don't think they will.

You are right, they could maximize one driver's chances, however from my point of view as long as they finish in front of Hamilton it's a win win situation, if they don't than it doesn't matter anymore.

Massa lost lots of points due to the engine breaking, wrong tires and wrong strategies, and they should rather concentrate not making any other mistakes till the end of the season than on making the drivers angry over team orders.

Rollo
4th September 2008, 00:11
Massa - 4 wins, 7 podiums, 4 poles
Hamilton - 4 wins, 7 podiums, 4 poles

Given that the Ferraris have had three engine clags as opposed to McLaren who haven't suffered any, the remaining retirements are either due to on track accidents or tremendous stupidity, the Ferrari is a bit more fragile.

I think Hamilton will win the season on that reason, but as far as car/driver combinations - Massa, Hamilton and Raikkonen all start with the potential to win the GP on any given weekend.

If it is a matter of the cars, the Ferrari I think are marginally technically better as they produce more power and are a wee bit slipperier through the air (but less reliable). It follows that Hamilton is driving to a higher standard or is kinder on the machinery - and given the Ferrari's mechanical clags (and the fact that we know Raikkonen is more agressive on equipment - re 2005 German GP) it seems likely that Hamilton should prevail because of some Ferrari mechanical glitch.

4th September 2008, 03:48
I'm not going to say who I voted for because this thread is only goin to decent in the usually Ferrari/McLaren bull**** and eventually people will compare Hamilton to Schumacher and those 2 to Senna and Prost and then some wag will suggest Fangio and Clark and then someone will insult someone else and we'll all get banned and the thread will be closed so we'll have to hijack another thread to discuss the same old crap some more :D :p :

Or someone will suggest that Button is actually better than all of them, he just needs a decent car to prove it. ;)

F1boat
4th September 2008, 07:08
Hamilton. McLaren has superior reliabilty, when compared to Ferrari and better pace, when compared to the BMW.

CNR
4th September 2008, 07:20
if massa can go well with out the car Fen up again

lewis has been in 3 races and not got a point
massa has been in 4

so i predict that i will be who ever finished the rest of the year.
with more points per race.

christophulus
4th September 2008, 11:16
My vote's for Massa.. provided the Ferrari holds together. He's been pretty much flawless for the past couple of events, and with the Ferrari ahead on pace it's looking good for him.

Alternatively, if the next few races are weather-affected it has to be Hamilton, but you can never write off the Ferraris.

harsha
4th September 2008, 14:06
Singapore is always known to have high chances of Rain...speaking of the guy who's lived there for 4 years

the rain AND the night race........dunno what will happen

ioan
4th September 2008, 14:48
Safety Car race? Move the race to an earlier time? Cancel it?

Who knows, F1 is full of surprises :D .

ArrowsFA1
4th September 2008, 15:07
Robert Kubica insists Felipe Massa is the favourite to win this year's championship following his strong performances in the last races.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70270

So that's another vote for Massa :D

4th September 2008, 15:27
My tip for who will win the championship is..........

The driver with the most points after Brazil.

Anyone fancy a bet?

jens
4th September 2008, 16:15
At the moment either Hamilton or Massa. It largely depends on the form of teams. In the last two race weekends the combination of Massa and Ferrari has been the one to beat in terms of speed, but I suspect McLaren is not out of the game and may be superior at least on several circuits, which are still to come. Räikkönen needs to turn things around very quickly. The comparison with last year isn't maybe too valid, because in the second half of 2007 he was consistently quick and competitive (7 consecutive podiums at the end of the year). With current form I don't quite expect podiums from all the remaining races... or what? But he's certainly not totally out of the game, but to participate in the game he needs to regain the from he had earlier this year. He won't win the title by starting from P6 in all the remaining 6 races.

Kubica hasn't been quite noticable recently, but he's still there, isn't he? Only 15 points behind the leader and quietly hanging not too far behind like Frentzen back in '99. A couple of wet races may help Robert, but generally I think he'll end up like HHF in '99 - comfortably behind the WDC-winner in the final point standings, although in some periods during the season he may have seemed to be quite close points-wise.

Knock-on
4th September 2008, 17:28
My tip for who will win the championship is..........

The driver with the most points after Brazil.

Anyone fancy a bet?

If it was Lewis, you would still argue the toss :p ;)

Besides, I would never bet with you. I would spend too much time checking how many fingers I had after we shook on it to figure out who won :D

Thor
5th September 2008, 01:46
It will be Massa,even I rather will it would be Hamilton,I have been very
disappointed with Heikki,he is my favor driver after Häkkinen
did his recommendation of his driving style and caracter
My worst day was when Kimi signed the Ferrari contract

gloomyDAY
6th September 2008, 06:33
It will be Massa,even I rather will it would be Hamilton,I have been very
disappointed with Heikki,he is my favor driver after Häkkinen
did his recommendation of his driving style and caracter
My worst day was when Kimi signed the Ferrari contractAre you crazy? I hope you know that Kimi won a championship with Ferrari!

Anyway, my vote goes to Hamilton as I did last year.
Hope he can pull it off and I just knocked on wood to avoid a jinx.

elinagr
6th September 2008, 07:57
Massa all the way, he is the best driver the last 5 races

Knock-on
7th September 2008, 15:32

I agree, he was amazing at Silverstone :rolleyes:

:laugh:

ArrowsFA1
7th September 2008, 15:53
Watching the sector times during the race is interesting. It was noticeable at Spa that Massa was the first of the leaders to back off when there was a hint of rain towards the end of the race. Now, that may have been because he didn't want to risk his position chasing Hamilton, which may be understandable, but it's not going to win him the championship.

By contrast Hamilton pulled away from Massa and gained ground on Raikkonen. He saw the rain as an opportunity to get a better result.

It's only small differences, but they can make the difference between a race winner and a champion.

jens
7th September 2008, 16:10
Whatever the case with Massa's approach at the end of the race is, he is after all now in position, where he most probably should be nominated as Ferrari's No.1 for the remainder of the season sooner or later.

ioan
7th September 2008, 16:11
Watching the sector times during the race is interesting. It was noticeable at Spa that Massa was the first of the leaders to back off when there was a hint of rain towards the end of the race. Now, that may have been because he didn't want to risk his position chasing Hamilton, which may be understandable, but it's not going to win him the championship.

By contrast Hamilton pulled away from Massa and gained ground on Raikkonen. He saw the rain as an opportunity to get a better result.

It's only small differences, but they can make the difference between a race winner and a champion.

Given how badly Kimi finished the race because of the rain, you weren't seriously thinking that Felipe will be stupid enough to throw it into the tire barrier too? He's no braindead Lewis, there are still 5 races to go so he did the right thing.

ArrowsFA1
7th September 2008, 18:21
...so he did the right thing.
In the light of the FIA's decision to gift him the win you're right.

gloomyDAY
7th September 2008, 20:42
Can I take my vote back?

I forgot that only scarlet cars are allowed at the top.

gm99
7th September 2008, 21:40
Whoever the FIA will decide on ;)

markabilly
7th September 2008, 22:09
Whoever the FIA will decide on ;)

you mean ultimately bernei and/or maX!!!!

ioan
7th September 2008, 22:34
In the light of the FIA's decision to gift him the win you're right.

That's bull$hit! You know I didn't agree with the stewards from the start of this story.

Knock-on
8th September 2008, 12:42
Can I change my vote.

Lewis will win it but Massa will be crowned champion.

ArrowsFA1
9th September 2008, 07:46
That's bull$hit! You know I didn't agree with the stewards from the start of this story.
ioan, mine was an observation on Massa's driving at Spa. He himself has said (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70428) "I was thinking more of the championship situation and I did not want to finish without any points, through taking risks."

In hindsight, bearing in mind Hamilton's penalty, that was a smart decision. Had he done otherwise we may have been discussing BMW's second win of the season.

leopard
9th September 2008, 08:02
Hamilton is still the one to beat, at any track totally brand new he is a strong bet. He is also the most complete package in wet, as opposed to Massa which is almost certain that he has to drive uphill.

This is good Massa has such dare taking risk and will not drive for nothing. Atop of the commitment to score point as much as possible in the remaining races, he should play the game smarter, strongly bears in mind that to finish first firstly he must finish. Appetite to beat everybody at the track shouldn't halt pattern he has achieved in last couple races.

elinagr
9th September 2008, 16:52
Massa reminds me Irvine in 1999,
he had an advantage until the last race of that season and in the last race he was nowhere to fight for the win...

ShiftingGears
15th September 2008, 08:30
4 races to go

6 drivers still in mathematical contention!

leopard
15th September 2008, 08:41
How can we convince people with 6 drivers are in contention mathematically, people seem to believe more driver in forth than the third,

havk
15th September 2008, 09:03
Hamilton - McLaren seems to be better than Ferrari in second part of the season, and no doubt they are better in raining conditions, which are very likely in Asian races (in last year China GP and Japan GP were wet).

ShiftingGears
15th September 2008, 11:37
How can we convince people with 6 drivers are in contention mathematically,

By using mathematics.

jens
15th September 2008, 19:40
Both Massa and Hamilton seem to have setbacks after strong results, so I'm actually not sure at all about the scenario in the rest of the season - but should be interesting. :p :

jas123f1
15th September 2008, 20:12
I think Massa has his chance this year and now when Kimi is that much behind - he will probably drive for the team mate and try to help his team now.. next season there is so many new rules that no one knows what happen - so I hope Felipe take it .. :)

yodasarmpit
15th September 2008, 20:13
I think it's too hard to call between Massa and Hamilton tbh.

truefan72
15th September 2008, 20:15
if massa can go well with out the car Fen up again

lewis has been in 3 races and not got a point
massa has been in 4

so i predict that i will be who ever finished the rest of the year.
with more points per race.

lol an absolute succinct observation

PolePosition_1
17th September 2008, 16:39

Yeah thats a good point. We can look at Hamilton, and his all go out to win approach, but at the end of the day, it cost him 4 points through a penalty. And over course of the season, him going for it -he has wrecked his tyres limiting his progress.

We can also look at Kimi in Belgium, who used same approach as Lewis, and lost out on 10 / 8 points.

With Massa, though its a boring way to do it, it does work.

Though if I can choose, I choose Hamilton's style purely for entertainment purposes. But fingers crossed Massa can win title :)

aryan
17th September 2008, 17:27
With Massa, though its a boring way to do it, it does work.

Really? Does it? Shouldn't you wait until Massa has a WDC under his belt before concluding that "it works"?

Personally, I'm impressed how much Massa has matured. No I don't still rate him as a wet weather racer, even considering Spa, but you don't win championships by being a wet weather specialist; you win them by recognising your weak points and working on minimising them. If Massa slowed down with the onset of rain, I reckon it just shows how much he has matured and knows where he needs to strike to win (e.g., Istanbul, where he is the "Master", and where there were huge questions marks over him), and he knows where to conserve his chances of points for WDC, i.e., rain.

Yes, I've been impressed by Massa this season (who hasn't); but I still will put down my money where my mouth is, and say that Massa will never be a WDC. Not in 2008, not in 2009. Never. He just doesn't have what it takes to put a solid season together IMO.

Donney
18th September 2008, 10:14
Hamilton, I reckon that's the best car/driver combination at the moment. Being a long life Ferrari fan I feel slightly disappointed at the drivers lack of aggressiveness or commitment at the crucial moments.

jens
18th September 2008, 14:17
Yes, I've been impressed by Massa this season (who hasn't); but I still will put down my money where my mouth is, and say that Massa will never be a WDC. Not in 2008, not in 2009. Never. He just doesn't have what it takes to put a solid season together IMO.

Now THAT's a bold statement! If Massa happens to win the WDC, then at least I know, which post to quote. :p :

Tazio
19th September 2008, 04:36
It looks like this championship could be determined to a large degree by climatic events, and engines. Take Singapore. My weather sources say it is going to rain every day up to and including race night. Advantage Hamilton. First race engine, and likely wet conditions. However fuel strategy will be key elements in races that are run in changing conditions. Plus if it is dry Ferrari and Massa look good as Singapore is a hot environment.
A few variables but I give the edge to Hamilton

Fuji: probably cold and wet Massa first race engines Hamilton second. This could make a difference as Fuji is at a high enough altitude to give the new Ferrari engine an edge (if it somehow stays dry) changing conditions tend to favor the team that guesses right on fuel strategy.
I'll call this one a toss up

China: should be a good circuit for Ferrari if dry, and warm (what are the chances of that) Plus I think Hamilton will be driving a geeked up Mercedes lump which will give him a few extra bhps (I’ll tell you why in Brazil) plus Massa on second engine Ferrari

Edge to Hamilton

Brazil: New Engine for homeboy Massa! But If I'm not mistaken Hamilton still has a joker in his deck. Extremely important at the altitude of this grand prix circuit. If somehow Massa is within 3 or 4 points of Hamilton He has a fighting chance

This is all without taking into consideration that Hamilton has a very real chance of winning his appeal over the Spa result!

In conclusion I think that either Massa will eek it out,

Or Hamilton will win in a cake walk :p : :beer:

fugariracing
19th September 2008, 04:47
This is all without taking into consideration that Hamilton has a very real chance of winning his appeal over the Spa result!

Not if the FIA has anything to do with it!!

Massa's rain skills leave something to be desired whereas Lewis has been sterling previously - bar China last year and the degraded tires. If that's the deciding element then I think Hammy takes it.

But then again this is coming from the same mouth that predicted Kimi would repeat in a runaway... so I barely take myself seriously. ;)

aryan
19th September 2008, 06:16
Now THAT's a bold statement! If Massa happens to win the WDC, then at least I know, which post to quote. :p :

I know :p That's always the problem when one says: "such and such will NEVER" happen.

But sometimes on this forum, you have to exaggerate a bit in order to make your feelings be known. Calm and rational observations get lost in the mids!

Still... feel free to bookmark that. At the end of Massa's career, the statement will either turn out to be true, or false, and I have a feeling these forums will be here for a couple of years for us to rant :D

ioan
19th September 2008, 07:14
Brazil: New Engine for homeboy Massa! But If I'm not mistaken Hamilton still has a joker in his deck.

The engine joker has to be used at latest in the Chinese GP. ;)

leopard
19th September 2008, 08:26
Without retarding my respect to Ferrari drivers, Kimi in person as a reigning champion and my expectation psychologically on Massa, Hamilton is apparently driver from different class. The most complete driver with immense support from team among those contending in the top 5 or 6.
Driver whose the closest skill-wise comparable to him is Alonso, has his place nowhere to be counted in, in the strength of the car and his hard of luck to have top teams investing their interest on him.
Hamilton holds the bigger probability, but I think Massa has significantly improved and deserves a mention to bid a challenge for the title.

jens
19th September 2008, 10:05
I personally think it's basically impossible to predict Singapore GP. Yes, Hamilton and McLaren may have an advantage pace-wise, but heavy rain + night + street circuit automatically hints at multiple safety car sessions (I can't believe this wet race is gonna be as clean as the last one at Monza) - and you know current SC rules can create very odd rankings. So in the title battle it's also important to get "lucky" at Singapore.

Tazio
19th September 2008, 18:05
The engine joker has to be used at latest in the Chinese GP. ;) Than will they play it at Fuji? I really dont think Mclaren want to use a second race engine at Interlagos if they can avoid it.

markabilly
20th September 2008, 04:22
It looks like this championship could be determined to a large degree by climatic events, and engines. Take Singapore. My weather sources say it is going to rain every day up to and including race night. Advantage Hamilton. First race engine, and likely wet conditions. However fuel strategy will be key elements in races that are run in changing conditions. Plus if it is dry Ferrari and Massa look good as Singapore is a hot environment.
A few variables but I give the edge to Hamilton

Fuji: probably cold and wet Massa first race engines Hamilton second. This could make a difference as Fuji is at a high enough altitude to give the new Ferrari engine an edge (if it somehow stays dry) changing conditions tend to favor the team that guesses right on fuel strategy.
I'll call this one a toss up

China: should be a good circuit for Ferrari if dry, and warm (what are the chances of that) Plus I think Hamilton will be driving a geeked up Mercedes lump which will give him a few extra bhps (I’ll tell you why in Brazil) plus Massa on second engine Ferrari

Edge to Hamilton

Brazil: New Engine for homeboy Massa! But If I'm not mistaken Hamilton still has a joker in his deck. Extremely important at the altitude of this grand prix circuit. If somehow Massa is within 3 or 4 points of Hamilton He has a fighting chance

And the 2008 WDC winner take all will be....................ask me four weeks after the race at brazil as things may be clearer and all appeals exhausted....maybe....

Tazio
20th September 2008, 05:05
And the 2008 WDC winner take all will be....................ask me four weeks after the race at brazil as things may be clearer and all appeals exhausted....maybe.... :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

futuretiger9
22nd September 2008, 21:12
I think Massa has his chance this year and now when Kimi is that much behind - he will probably drive for the team mate and try to help his team now.. next season there is so many new rules that no one knows what happen - so I hope Felipe take it .. :)

Not only is Kimi so far behind that he may have to help Massa in the remaining races, but his own erratic form means that he may not be a factor, anyway.

I have really warmed to Massa as a driver and as a person this season, so I hope that he takes the title. I have a suspicion that he will do so.

Knock-on
25th September 2008, 14:01
Quote by Massa:

Now it will be another four very, very important races. And who is able to do a better job, to be quick, very consistent and reliable, maybe will be the winner.

Or to put it another way, whoever is quickest and scores more points will win unless it's McLaren when the FIA step in :laugh:

I wonder how credible a champion he will be if he wins by a single point?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70827

F1boat
25th September 2008, 16:37
To me, he will be credible even if he wins with a tiebreak with victories. :)

jens
28th September 2008, 19:16
I think the Singapore GP may have shown that Hamilton has matured compared to last year. In the last laps he didn't try a banzai-move on Rosberg, but decided to collect 6 safe points. Also he didn't rush to pass DC, when there was no clear opportunity. I must admit my main concern about Lewis is and has been his ability to deal with the pressure in the decisive moments of the championship. The 2008 championship is now his to lose, but if he can keep this levelheaded approach to the last 3 races, he should be able to keep the lead unlike last year...

ShiftingGears
13th October 2008, 00:54
The 2008 championship is now his to lose, but if he can keep this levelheaded approach to the last 3 races, he should be able to keep the lead unlike last year...

Well, Fuji wasn't the sign of a matured driver. From Massa or Hamilton. Having said that, it'll take more freak incidents for Kubica to take the WDC. Clearly the most consistent and level headed out of the three.

Rollo
13th October 2008, 01:36
Or to put it another way, whoever is quickest and scores more points will win unless it's McLaren when the FIA step in :laugh:

I wonder how credible a champion he will be if he wins by a single point?

He's been gifted 3 points by bull penalties so far, maybe more when you consider that he punted off his rival when it presented itself with the chance.

All in all it's very good for TV ratings... it's a bit like Mr Gow ordering safety cars in the BTCC for no damn good reason.

jens
13th October 2008, 12:07
Kubica's chances are better than ever before this season. :p : 12 points behind Hamilton in the closing stages of a championship is nothing as life has shown. :p : Plus Massa seems dodgy too.

But still Kubica needs luck and a lot of it in the remaining races. Firstly, he needs to have two excellent races (one retirement or poor result -> game over) plus considering BMW's (lack of) pace he also needs the misfortune of rivals. Hamilton has to fail in both of the remaining races and more or less Massa needs to do the same. Plus probably Kubica needs a misfortune of someone else too to enable him to get a good point score.

So taking this into account Hamilton and Massa are still the main contenders, but Kubica has a chance too considering it's not completely impossible both LH and FM completely cock it up in the end. :p :

Knock-on
13th October 2008, 17:32
He's been gifted 3 points by bull penalties so far, maybe more when you consider that he punted off his rival when it presented itself with the chance.

All in all it's very good for TV ratings... it's a bit like Mr Gow ordering safety cars in the BTCC for no damn good reason.

:confused:

Rollo my son, what are you on about?

He should have had a drive through for an unsafe pit release, got awarded points and Lewis lost them for the the stupid 25 sec to Hamilton and was just gifted another point for crashing into Seb for starters.

He shouldn't even be in the championship by now.

F1boat
13th October 2008, 17:46
I respect British fans tremendously. They always support their heroes. Kudos.

woody2goody
13th October 2008, 18:19
Hamilton if he can stay out of trouble and avoid (don't know how it's possible) silly penalties.

But if Lewis and Felipe Massa mix it up a bit don't be surprised if Kubica nicks it at the end. And fair play to him if he does.

stevie_gerrard
15th October 2008, 18:36
Anyone else thinking that while Massa and Hamilton are squabling over each other, Kubica is coming up behind them quietly as the most consistent performer this season? Wouldnt surprise me if we had a similar finish to last year, and Kubica springs a surprise.... ;)

Can anyone tell me the last time a driver won one race and won the title?

ShiftingGears
15th October 2008, 23:13
Anyone else thinking that while Massa and Hamilton are squabling over each other, Kubica is coming up behind them quietly as the most consistent performer this season? Wouldnt surprise me if we had a similar finish to last year, and Kubica springs a surprise.... ;)

Can anyone tell me the last time a driver won one race and won the title?

Keke Rosberg, 1982.

Although Raikkonen nearly did it in 2003.