PDA

View Full Version : LPG

LotusElise
30th January 2007, 20:50
Does anyone here drive an LPG-powered vehicle?
It's something I would definitely consider.

jim mcglinchey
31st January 2007, 09:22
My two brothers picked up 5 yr old V8s by Beemer and Jag at the right money and got them converted. The conversion on a V8 costs about £1600 and a four cylinder is correspondingly cheaper, but they are very sophisticated kits and theres no noticeable drop in performance.

Daniel
31st January 2007, 09:35
Hazell runs LPG :)

Hazell B
1st February 2007, 21:01
I don't any more, but did certainly.

It's brilliant if you get the right conversion. I was lucky and found a £1300 dual system for a 4 cylinder Land Rover. It ran wholey on LPG but could be switched back at any time to petrol, in case of an LPG garage not being handy.

Mine had a massive 100L tank, enough to run for weeks, but most have smaller tanks tucked away in any old bit of bodywork. The smaller tanks are cheaper.

Duty on LPG is set to slowly go up over the next (I think - check for yourself) four years, so it eventually meets petrol duty. However, you can get a tank at home, like the central heating ones, and pay half the pump price.

I could swap about and never hear an engine note change and had no less power (it was already pretty wheezy though!) but most people say they have less power on LPG. They just think they do, it's psychological.

I'd highly recommend switching :up: Only reason I'm not on it now is that the current Landie is diesel and I was forced to buy it as no petrol ones where on sale. I'll go back the moment I have chance.

donKey jote
12th February 2007, 22:52
I've been running my donkey cart on LPG for almost a year.
Got a 50 l tank instead of the spare wheel, and I fill up once a week (exactly the same as what I used to do when on petrol alone).
You cold-start on petrol and it switches automatically to gas after ~1km.
No noticeable lack of performance as I hardly ever drive it at top speed (down to ~195 from ~200kph the one time I "tested" it :p : ).
~10% higher consumption but ~50% fuel cost means payback in another 1-1.5 years.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif