PDA

View Full Version : Working in WRC

ergo
2nd September 2008, 21:26
Hi,

I am very interested about working in WRC. My current profession is an IT project manager and I would like to hear what are the options to work in WRC if you are not a mechanic or engineer - e.g. I guess there are lot of to do in IT field or in any other field as well. Where should I start to search contacts from? Which companies should I contact to?

I know that http://www.easynet.com is providing WRC events with the infrastructure of all live timings, results etc. So I guess contacting with this company would be one option.

So, if you have any experience or thougths of how to get into WRC, then please help :)

Ergo

A.F.F.
2nd September 2008, 21:50
I hear Max needs an assistant. But you have to be into BDSM.

Sorry Ergo, I just couldn't resist :D

PuddleJumper
2nd September 2008, 21:55
Have a look at the M-Sport (http://www.m-sport.co.uk) (who run the BP Ford, Stobart and Munchi's WRC teams) and Prodrive (http://www.prodrive.com) (who run Subaru's WRC team) websites, and see the careers sections. Both are usually looking out for skilled engineers and mechanics.

N.O.T
2nd September 2008, 23:25
well i think that getting directly into WRC without prior experience in motorsport IT services is a bit optimistic...don't know your age but if you are young enough try finding a job into a smaller motorsport corpooration or a smaller rally/motorsport team.

Best of luck/success in whater you do.

ProRally
3rd September 2008, 07:25
ISC-T had a opening in the IT section, they run the timing and start/finish and tracking etc. at the events.

If you are into IT, it would be up your street

wrc_flipper
3rd September 2008, 09:07
ISC-T had a opening in the IT section, they run the timing and start/finish and tracking etc. at the events.

If you are into IT, it would be up your street

I went for that job (advertised in Autosport magazine) and unfortunately didn't get it. But I did asked for advise on future opportunities and basically you need to attempt to get into a team at whatever level and then start making contacts within the WRC community.
I know a few people who work at various levels, such as media, technical and broadcast and opportunities a few and far between and when an opening arises lots of people apply.
Personally this year I have done some media and IT work for a couple of small teams and people in the uk and this got me trips out Sardinia, Spain and Wales.

Always worth sending speculative letters off to teams and events - often making the tea or fixing a laptop for a stressed PR manager offen helps your profile!

Flipper

Daniel
3rd September 2008, 12:46
My advice. Don't work with something you love. It'll become just like any job and you'll grow to hate it.

MikeD
4th September 2008, 14:30
@ergo,

I agree with Daniel, except I won't use the word "hate". I am currently working in GP2 and have previously worked for two F3000 teams (Team den Blå Avis, Super Nova satellite team run by Paul Jackson, and the start-up phase with Brand motorsport). I have also worked for Forix, F1Racing.net (now GPUpdate) and Flagworld writing articles about F3000 & GP2.

But - as Daniel say, your passion for motorsports will not be the same, and working in motorsport is very tough. It hard work, with nasty deadlines, a lot of work in weekends and the money ain't that good.

But if you get lucky getting into the world of rally, I wish you the best.