PDA

View Full Version : Bernie disappointed by champions (Bernie time to GO)

CNR
2nd September 2008, 03:48
http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=43771

Bernie Ecclestone has expressed his disappointment in the past two world champions - suggesting that they should have done more for the sport.
The Formula 1 ringmaster believes that 2005-6 title winner Fernando Alonso and his successor Kimi Raikkonen should have emulated seven-time champion Michael Schumacher, who played a greater ambassadorial role.
"They've not acted like world champions," Ecclestone told the BBC.

"They're not available or accessible, they don't want to talk to people, don't want to do anything."

CNR
2nd September 2008, 03:49
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/news/168404-0/bernie_prays_earthquake_will_halt_olympics.html

F1 ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone courts controversy by suggesting that the 2012 London Olympic Games will be a disaster after Beijing - and jokes that we should pray for an earthquake to prevent them from taking place.

Hondo
2nd September 2008, 05:56
Simple Bernie, pay them huge sums of money and they'll do all sorts of promotions for you. You know, kind of like how you sell venues to the highest bidder regardless of the quaility of the racing. If you want them to play, you gotta pay. I know you understand that one Bernie.

markabilly
2nd September 2008, 06:35
How do you distinquish between a true WDC and a crummy WDC?

Just ask Bernie:"
"They've not acted like world champions," Ecclestone told the BBC.

"They're not available or accessible, they don't want to talk to people, don't want to do anything."

And why the one true WDC will be the Hamster:
"I unfortunately can't think just of Britain, I have to think worldwide," he said.
"Whether it would be good for Lewis to win the championship, I think the answer to that is yes"

Now I always thought it to be more i,mportant to do your talking on the track by driving.........but bernei has demonstrated the errors of my ways, just as Red Bull has educated me that it is market penetration that defines the quality and desirability of hiring a particular driver

ArrowsFA1
2nd September 2008, 07:56
I wish I could remember who he was talking about, but Bernie said much the same years ago about another WDC. His argument then, as now, was the driver gave little or nothing back to the sport having won its championship.

No apologies for bringing his name up again, but I'd imagine that Jackie Stewart would be another example of someone who has done a lot for the sport as a WDC. Not only did he present himself, the sport and sponsors professionally while racing, but in the 35yrs since he retired he has continued to do the same.

wedge
2nd September 2008, 11:14
I wish I could remember who he was talking about, but Bernie said much the same years ago about another WDC. His argument then, as now, was the driver gave little or nothing back to the sport having won its championship.

No apologies for bringing his name up again, but I'd imagine that Jackie Stewart would be another example of someone who has done a lot for the sport as a WDC. Not only did he present himself, the sport and sponsors professionally while racing, but in the 35yrs since he retired he has continued to do the same.

Bernie was referring to Alonso originally a few years ago.

It so much different in JYS' time when PR and sponsorship was still in its infancy and was one of the pioneers of what he calls getting 'value for money' from sponsors/backers. For example, the champagne spraying thing was an accident! IIRC he happened to pick up a warm champagne bottle after a race and now its tradition!

Today most drivers have their own PAs. If they're not racing and testing, then its PR work which arguably takes up too much time.

No wonder drivers are like hermits in the off season.

veeten
2nd September 2008, 12:22
I believe what Bernie wants to see is the drivers be more involved in things outside of the track, charities and such, in the same way that Schumacher was and that many NASCAR drivers have been over the last decade+.

It seems that many F1 drivers have very full schedules during the season, and such pirsuits can be hard to attend to. The off season would be a better time to work with organizations that they feel an affinity to and can devote the time for appearances.

Wedge, the whole 'champagne spray' thing actually started earlier than that, with the '67 24 Hours of LeMans. In his eagerness to celebrate his win with co-driver A.J. Foyt, Dan Gurney got mischevious and decided to spray the close in crowd with large magnum of champagne rather than take a big drink.

PolePosition_1
2nd September 2008, 12:26
Simple Bernie, pay them huge sums of money and they'll do all sorts of promotions for you. You know, kind of like how you sell venues to the highest bidder regardless of the quaility of the racing. If you want them to play, you gotta pay. I know you understand that one Bernie.

They are the two highest paid drivers on the grid as it is.

To be honest, I don't quite see why he has said this. Alonso in particular has done a huge amount for the sport, he has quite a bit of influence if you take into account his role in bringing Spain a second GP.

He's transformed F1 in Spain.

But at the end of the day, his (or Kimi's) job isn't to take on responsibility outside of his driving and PR committments to the team.

I guess he is just expressing an opinion - which is fair enough :)

ArrowsFA1
2nd September 2008, 12:28
Bernie was referring to Alonso originally a few years ago.
I was thinking further back than that. Piquet sticks in my mind for some reason, but as a Brabham WDC that maybe unlikely :p

But at the end of the day, his (or Kimi's) job isn't to take on responsibility outside of his driving and PR committments to the team.
I think Bernie's point is they should take on wider responsibilities than that.

wedge
2nd September 2008, 13:50
I was thinking further back than that. Piquet sticks in my mind for some reason, but as a Brabham WDC that maybe unlikely :p

Doubt it.

Piquet called Mansell's wife 'ugly' in a Playboy interview, stole a photographers camera and photographed his groin (is that picture in existance?).

Laughter is the best medicine so I suppose Bernie should've made Piquet into a film/TV comic personality.

BDunnell
2nd September 2008, 13:52
I believe what Bernie wants to see is the drivers be more involved in things outside of the track, charities and such, in the same way that Schumacher was and that many NASCAR drivers have been over the last decade+.

It should be a matter of personal choice. In any case, when people think of Michael Schumacher, the first thing that comes to mind are his racing exploits, not his charity work.

PolePosition_1
2nd September 2008, 14:03

Yeah I understand what he is saying. I'm just stating thats his opiniion and he's entitled to it :) .

But I not sure he is right, if I was as busy as them, and someone asked me to do even more work for free without any pay, I wouldn't see myself doing it. I'd rather put my full focus into what I'm paid to do and use reminder of my time with family and friends and personal activities.

leopard
3rd September 2008, 03:08
Probably Bernie has respective reason for the opinion looking down at the champions of the last three season to emulate the seven seasons champion. We just hope that this year's contender can bring his expectation into reality...

Hawkmoon
3rd September 2008, 04:40
Bernie's just pissed that Raikkonen and Alonso aren't out there making him even more money.

Piss off Bernie, I for one have had enough of your crap. :mad:

ioan
3rd September 2008, 07:24
Bernie's just pissed that Raikkonen and Alonso aren't out there making him even more money.

Piss off Bernie, I for one have had enough of your crap. :mad:

Right on it! :up:

AndyRAC
3rd September 2008, 09:04
Alonso was right, it is no longer a sport - in fact hasn't been for years. Every decision made is a business one, never sporting.
A highly polished business model with a bit of sport thrown in.