PDA

View Full Version : Spa Francorschamps track could drasticaly change next year!

William Hunt
31st August 2008, 21:23
According to sources from the Spa organization, plas are underway to drastically change the track in 2009.

The FIA seems unhappy about the length of the track and thee fact that no parade lap is done, the FIA feels it would be better to cut the track's length so that a run-out parade lap is done and so that the spectators can see the cars more than the current 40 laps.

The plan would involve the corner of Fagnes, Bruxelles, Stavelot & Blanchimont. The sharp corner after Rivage would also be altered. In reality this would mean a new corner would be created after Pouhon, that leads directly to the Bus stop chicane!

The changed layout would be used for F1 but not necessarily for the other races such as the 24Hours of Spa.

It seems that the FIA is planning to completely rape one of the last classic tracks on the calendar because of silly commercial reasons.

Source: http://www.f1club.be

Jag_Warrior
31st August 2008, 22:28
Who's to blame?! Is it Bernie or that old pervert, Max Mosley?

If it's Max, I'm sure several of us would be willing to put some money in a hat so he could spend another perverted weekend with some freaky hookers - just leave Spa alone!!!

Nikki Katz
31st August 2008, 22:59
Why do the FIA / Bernie insist on ruining existing race tracks or axing them completely and replacing them with Tilke tracks in the far east? This is really bad news. I assume that Tilke will have his hand at Donnington too, will there be any tracks left bar Monaco that he's not at least partially planned?
This is really terrible news if true.

ArrowsFA1
31st August 2008, 23:00
The FIA seems unhappy about the length of the track and thee fact that no parade lap is done, the FIA feels it would be better to cut the track's length so that a run-out parade lap is done and so that the spectators can see the cars more than the current 40 laps.
Oh FFS :mad: :rolleyes: No parade lap?!!! Is that the 'must have' criteria for a circuit in 2008?

ShiftingGears
1st September 2008, 06:58
That is a disgusting proposition.

1) Fans go to Spa because of racing, not parade laps.
2) One of the main reasons fans go to Spa is because it is one of F1's defining tracks. I hope that the article is horribly wrong.

F1boat
1st September 2008, 08:01
That's another idiocy by modern F1 and one of the reason I start to prefer sports car racing more and more. It is ruining its history, it is ruining its tracks, it is slowing the cars, it is creating an artificial, dull championship on "exotic" places - it is no longer F1. Max has done a lot about safety and I congratulate him for that and I approve the way he treated the McLaren, but this is getting too much. He and Bernie are becoming a thorn for the sport - if you don't like Spa, get the hell out if it, greedy, ugly perverts, leave normal racing series which do not care for the parade lap to do it.

Dave B
1st September 2008, 08:17
If this is true then I'm even more pleased that I'll be there this coming weekend :D

Knock-on
1st September 2008, 08:36
"Der Management" have long had the knives out for Silverstone and Spa.

Spa will be ruined and then dumped for some high capital deal in Iran or somewhere.

ioan
1st September 2008, 10:02
WTF is going on Bernie?
Did you ever ask a F1 fan if they care more about the racing or about your sh!tty parade lap?!
Get your hands of Spa you little greedy €$@$*&*£€.

Mark
1st September 2008, 10:34
Just look at the FIA involvement in World Rally. A massively popular sport which the FIA decided to make more 'spectactor and TV friendly' and they've ended up ruining it :(

Storm
1st September 2008, 11:14
They already did it with one classic long track i.e Hockenheim...what's going to stop them from doing it to Spa now?

Hopefully fans who go to the race will protest!

Knock-on
1st September 2008, 11:18
They already did it with one classic long track i.e Hockenheim...what's going to stop them from doing it to Spa now?

Hopefully fans who go to the race will protest!

And that would change what....

Max and Bernie have long demonstrated their disregard for what the fans want over their personal gain.

ArrowsFA1
1st September 2008, 11:25
WTF is going on Bernie?
:confused:

F1boat
1st September 2008, 11:27
And that would change what....

Max and Bernie have long demonstrated their disregard for what the fans want over their personal gain.

I hope that Spa officials will reject this plans. Better to have only a DTM and a LMS race on a true Spa, than a F1-farce.

F1boat
1st September 2008, 11:29
Just look at the FIA involvement in World Rally. A massively popular sport which the FIA decided to make more 'spectactor and TV friendly' and they've ended up ruining it :(

Absolutely. I watch only the Sweidsh rally now because I love snow rallyies.The championship seems severely weakened and this diminishes the achievements of a great driver like Loeb. I truly hope that F1 won't end like this.

Knock-on
1st September 2008, 11:35
I hope that Spa officials will reject this plans. Better to have only a DTM and a LMS race on a true Spa, than a F1-farce.

I'm stuck between a Rock and a hard place.

Spa is my favorite race on the calender but if the FIA mess it up, it will just be another Tilke farce so I hope you're right.

Knock-on
1st September 2008, 11:38
:confused:

I have a certain amount of sympathy with ioan here. It's difficult to differentiate between Max/Bernie at the best of times.

Just wondering if Belgium was one of the FIA members that voted against Max ;)

Mark
1st September 2008, 12:08
I certainly agree. I think Spa would be better of saying goodbye to F1 than radically changing the track like that.

Paddock and media facililties are one thing, but the track is the track, take it or leave it!

It even wouldn't be so bad it if were for safety reasons, but it's just commerical ones! :s

AndyRAC
1st September 2008, 12:10
Is it April 1st, or a really bad dream??

I can't believe what I'm reading - Spa in Belgium is to be 'Tilke-ed' just because the fans 'only' get to see the cars for 40 odd laps. So what?? This was the excuse used for Hockenheim, and it doesn't hold water. The new 'bus-stop' chicane is a joke which needs changing back.
By the way, there are other track designers out there, why not use them for other tracks instead of Tilke. Just what is his hold over Bernie?
As for the meddling with the WRC - it was doing fine during the Schumacher dominated-era (2000-2004), then it is alledged that changes were made to the WRC to suit F1.

Mark
1st September 2008, 12:21
It's not like Begium isn't already popular with the fans. And the rest watch it on TV anyway, so what does it matter how long the lap is?

Knock-on
1st September 2008, 12:37
WTF is going on Bernie?
Did you ever ask a F1 fan if they care more about the racing or about your sh!tty parade lap?!

Should read....

WTF is going on Max?

:laugh:

ioan
1st September 2008, 13:28
I have a certain amount of sympathy with ioan here. It's difficult to differentiate between Max/Bernie at the best of times.

Bernie is the one responsible for the circuits contracts, he is also responsible for the financial side of it.
Remember who chose Donington over Silverstone?! Not Max!

And if it's Max who had this wonderful idea than he better quit before this becomes reality.

Or maybe it's both of them, remember that article you posted about Bernie saying Max has no reasons to leave?! Hmmm! :mad:

Knock-on
1st September 2008, 15:02
Bernie is the one responsible for the circuits contracts, he is also responsible for the financial side of it.

And if it's Max who had this wonderful idea than he better quit before this becomes reality.

Or maybe it's both of them, remember that article you posted about Bernie saying Max has no reasons to leave?! Hmmm! :mad:

You're beginning to see the light at last ;)

Max serves Bernie, Bernie serves Max.

Between the 2 of them, they have dominated F1 for a long time now.

I wouldn't waste any sympathy on either of them.

harsha
1st September 2008, 15:23
why not race on ovals next

Knock-on
1st September 2008, 15:25

PML :laugh:

Don't joke about these things. Don't tempt fate :D

ArrowsFA1
1st September 2008, 15:31
They're perfect. No problem about length or parade lap, and tv can see the whole of the circuit.

Dave B
1st September 2008, 15:50
I'd love to see a Tilke-designed oval. How could he possibly balls THAT up? Oh...

Allyc85
1st September 2008, 16:18
This has got me so f'ing angry, how stupid can the FIA get. They do this pathetic survey each year but still dont listen to the fans!

I went to Spa last year and didnt give a s*** about the parade lap. Infact having no slow down lap was better because we could invade the track!

W*****S

Mark
1st September 2008, 16:59
Why don't they have a parade lap anyway?

Knock-on
1st September 2008, 17:54

I must admit, that confused me as well.

Viktory
1st September 2008, 18:12

I'd assume it was because it's so long, and so would take a long time to get around, delaying podium and press conferences by a couple of seconds.

Spa officials deny it though:
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080901153613.shtml

Let's hope they can fight Max/Bernie.

78GPfan
1st September 2008, 18:46
While I agree with Mark, what is classic about Spa is the extreme challenge for driver and racecar designers, despite the suits that want a NASCAR-copy of everything.

The suits might try better audio-video angles, better technology demos for new fans; example, anything other than waiting for Massa-parade to end.

Dream: FIA rules that enable more than Lewis to pass, more than twice per season.

fandango
1st September 2008, 18:53
While it may sound cold, and this is the first time in ages I've posted so it's not the best sentiment to return with, my first reaction to this is to think "ah well, Bernie and Max will both be dead soon so let's hope F1 can recover from them".

Sleeper
1st September 2008, 18:53
Is it April 1st, or a really bad dream??

I can't believe what I'm reading - Spa in Belgium is to be 'Tilke-ed' just because the fans 'only' get to see the cars for 40 odd laps. So what?? This was the excuse used for Hockenheim, and it doesn't hold water. The new 'bus-stop' chicane is a joke which needs changing back.
By the way, there are other track designers out there, why not use them for other tracks instead of Tilke. Just what is his hold over Bernie?
As for the meddling with the WRC - it was doing fine during the Schumacher dominated-era (2000-2004), then it is alledged that changes were made to the WRC to suit F1.
Tilke is one of only two people licensed to design an F1 level track and is friends with Bernie. The other guy(cant remember his name at the moment, Chris something...) designed Dubai and was involved with Silverstones redesign before Donington got the deal.

emporer_k
1st September 2008, 19:08
If spa gets destroyed for the sake of seeing the cars go round a few more times I think i'd cry.

It would be just like hockenheim becasuse it wouldnt matter how good the race was I would still miss the old layout.

BDunnell
1st September 2008, 21:13

I think the two are so closely linked when it comes to matters like this that blaming both of them is a safe option.

F1boat
1st September 2008, 21:45
If spa gets destroyed for the sake of seeing the cars go round a few more times I think i'd cry.

It would be just like hockenheim becasuse it wouldnt matter how good the race was I would still miss the old layout.

same here. The new one looks castrated.

wedge
2nd September 2008, 00:08
Playing devils' advocate - there was the same moans when the track was castrated to the current 4.5 miles so it can't get any worse, can it?

But I digress, IMHO Spa is the only track on the F1 calender that truly deserves historical accolade, links to the past. The roots of racing came from road racing and then airfields (Silverstone, Sebring) and autodromes which we now have.

The length of the track currently is acceptable. I doubt the spectators are particularly bothered that they're not getting value for money.

It seems the trend now is made-for-TV packages by the FIA. WRC is a bit of joke these days, no longer an endurance it once was and FIA GTs is pretty much closer to GP racing with it 2hrs races dominating the schedule.

Rollo
2nd September 2008, 00:59
Playing devils' advocate - there was the same moans when the track was castrated to the current 4.5 miles so it can't get any worse, can it?

The race was held in 1968 but not in 1969 due to safety concerns, and although it was held in 1970, the track lost it's place on the calender because it was too dangerous.

The '72 Belgian GP was held on a pathetic excuse of a track at Nivelles, and from '73 to '83 Zolder was the venue which simply didn't have the towering grandure of Spa.

Safety is a legitimate concern, but this isn't even being fought over that topic. The FIA want to know how they can extract more blood from the stone, and quite frankly, someone needs to tell them where and how far to stick it.

truefan72
2nd September 2008, 02:36
I love F1 and am a big LH fan, but if this comes to fruition, I will have to assess the value of watching F1 on a regular basis.

first and foremost, I will feel sorry for the younger drivers and viewers who are slowly seeing all the great tracks slowly disappear. These drivers will not have a chance to measure themselves against history, of even just 10 years ago. The fans will not get to experience the hollow grounds of F1.

What they did with Hockenheim is a travesty, a shame and I hope that one day they will reestablish it. San Marion was gone, Silverstone is to be axed, Suzuki was axed, (only for their senses to return and bring it back) Australia was under threat, France was under threat.

Oh well, lets hope that MM and BE will soon exit the sport due to age or whatever before they continue to wreck the sport. And they can take that stupid FIA spinless, gutless board with them.

ArrowsFA1
2nd September 2008, 08:04
The FIA want to know how they can extract more blood from the stone, and quite frankly, someone needs to tell them where and how far to stick it.
I agree but there is simply no means for anyone to do that.

Should Spa turn around and say "no, we won't make any changes" then F1 will simply go elsewhere.

Should anyone (the ADAC is an example) stand up to the FIA then we are seeing what happens to them.

The fans have no voice.

The drivers might object, but ultimately what they say counts for little or nothing.

The teams will race where they're told to.

:(

Mark
2nd September 2008, 08:46
It's really time we had some proper people in charge of Formula 1, perhaps the likes of JYS, who understand the sport, and its history, and who want to preserve what we have rather than destroy it :mad:

wedge
2nd September 2008, 10:55
The FIA want to know how they can extract more blood from the stone, and quite frankly, someone needs to tell them where and how far to stick it.

WARNING! Reading this will make your blood pressure boil!

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=43765

ioan
2nd September 2008, 11:18
WARNING! Reading this will make your blood pressure boil!

How can you boil pressure :?: :rolleyes:

jens
2nd September 2008, 11:25
To be honest, I really don't understand FIA's objective and attitude. One of the reasons for changes seems to be that they want to please spectators and F1 fans more, but at the same time it is well-known all the F1 fans and spectators like the current circuit configuration and don't want to see it getting changed.

Why change something if it's well-known no-one wants those changes? It's a contradiction.

Rollo
3rd September 2008, 00:14
To be honest, I really don't understand FIA's objective and attitude.

I think we can guess?

A wide-ranging review of F1’s finances by industry monitor Formula Money reveals that the addition of lucrative new races in Valencia and Singapore has driven fees up to US$403.5m, over $23m more than the amount brought in by television rights.

Do I understand the FIA's objective and attitude?
¥£$

ArrowsFA1
3rd September 2008, 08:04
An official for the Spa Francorchamps circuit on Monday played down reports that the much loved Formula One layout may be shortened from its current 7km...circuit spokesman Luc Willems told the Dutch language f1today.nl: "Spa has always been an unique circuit and that is not going to change...Our circuit is as it is and is not going to change."
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080901153613.shtml

jens
3rd September 2008, 09:17
I think we can guess?

Do I understand the FIA's objective and attitude?
¥£$

What is the connection with Spa-Francorchamps circuit? You seem to hint that with changes at Spa FIA will gain cash too. Then it can be asked, who is interested in those changes - sponsors, TV channels?

BDunnell
3rd September 2008, 12:40
What is the connection with Spa-Francorchamps circuit? You seem to hint that with changes at Spa FIA will gain cash too. Then it can be asked, who is interested in those changes - sponsors, TV channels?

The change that Bernie is interested in, surely, is maximising revenue, which he is more likely to do by staging races in countries other than Belgium.

cosmicpanda
4th September 2008, 13:40
To be fair, Bernie has had the perfect chance to drop Spa from the calendar, but he was involved in bringing it back.

William Hunt
4th September 2008, 20:44
The story is now also mentioned on grandprix.com:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20711.html

FIA
4th September 2008, 20:48
Someone please replace Bernie and Max with a monkey, F1 would be saved then.

F1 4 LIFE