PDA

View Full Version : BMW to bid farewell to Credit Suisse

leopard
29th August 2008, 09:22
I found this news a bit late. It was reported that Credit Suisse recently decided to terminate their long partnership with BMW which means a withdrawal on all their support in F1 from next season and beyond.

F1 just suffered from loss of Honda powered car, Super Aguri team for financial crisis. Will this leave of Credit Suisse be also a precedent for the same reason to cut off their expenses they have spent during their involvement in F1?. This sounds like being apprehensive, we just do not hope the lessening financial support will disturb performance of one of big teams like BMW, and worse than it potentially to put the series in predicament.

SGWilko
29th August 2008, 09:30
Given the 'two and eight' that RBS are currently in, I can quite easily believe they would be keen to save money by not sponsoring Williams.

Hope they don't pull out......

ioan
29th August 2008, 11:19
Global financial situation isn't rosy at all, and banks are the big losers, so they will try to cut expenses in order to minimize their loses.

In the actual financial climate F1 should try to minimize their expenses too if they want the small teams to survive, not to mention that manufacturers can decide to close down the teams too.

SGWilko
29th August 2008, 11:25
Global financial situation isn't rosy at all, and banks are the big losers, so they will try to cut expenses in order to minimize their loses.

In the actual financial climate F1 should try to minimize their expenses too if they want the small teams to survive, not to mention that manufacturers can decide to close down the teams too.

Both BMW and Toyota have recently reported reduced output due to falling sales. Does not paint a rosy picture, does it?

ioan
29th August 2008, 11:41
Both BMW and Toyota have recently reported reduced output due to falling sales. Does not paint a rosy picture, does it?

No, not at all.

MAX_THRUST
29th August 2008, 12:10
This has always been the problem with Motorsport. When the manufacturers pull out then the series will suffer, but this in turn would reduce costs then teams like Jordan, Tyrrell, williams would re emerge from the mess. I hope none of which hapens ever again.

CARt had four big manufacturers at one point then ended up with just Cosworth, then died.

F1 would have to see customer cars and engines if the big names left.

Knock-on
29th August 2008, 13:51
F1 always fluctuates.

The series just needs to adapt to whatever resources are out there.

Not a disaster but merely a stormy sea.

Jag_Warrior
30th August 2008, 19:36
F1 always fluctuates.

Agreed.

jso1985
30th August 2008, 19:59
Sponsors have been pulling out from F1 since the day they were allowed...

no need to make a storm out of a milk glass here

leopard
1st September 2008, 03:48
Given the 'two and eight' that RBS are currently in, I can quite easily believe they would be keen to save money by not sponsoring Williams.

Hope they don't pull out......

RBS is now currently in the good partnership with Williams. They don't seem to pull out or go elsewhere in near future. However the long term investment in F1 foreseeable would be a support one of Ferrari drivers...

SGWilko
1st September 2008, 09:00
However the long term investment in F1 foreseeable would be a support one of Ferrari drivers...

Danmn fine idea. They should put their money on Kimi - long term investment opportunity at Ferrari there.....

leopard
1st September 2008, 09:45
Danmn fine idea. They should put their money on Kimi - long term investment opportunity at Ferrari there.....
Probably, from power of the number RBS injected him then we shall see that he shouldn't be left somewhere behind his teammate. :)

Knock-on
1st September 2008, 10:59
One thing nobody has speculated on is the reason for Credit Suisse to leave F1.

Obviously, back in March when it was speculated, the current financial issue was not as apparent but the negative publicity surrounding Maxgate was in full flow.

The reasons for Suisse entering F1 was to build and enhance global recognition for the brand.

Has that changed or do Credit Suisse consider their sponsorship may be better served by other (possibly less controversial) sports.

ioan
1st September 2008, 13:24
One thing nobody has speculated on is the reason for Credit Suisse to leave F1.

Obviously, back in March when it was speculated, the current financial issue was not as apparent but the negative publicity surrounding Maxgate was in full flow.

The reasons for Suisse entering F1 was to build and enhance global recognition for the brand.

Has that changed or do Credit Suisse consider their sponsorship may be better served by other (possibly less controversial) sports.

Unfounded speculation. :rolleyes:
If that was the case they sure would have done it on place, not after 1 season during which their name could have been muddied (if that was the case).

And the financial issues were very much apparent by the end of last year! ;)

Dave B
1st September 2008, 13:42

Which is probably why Knockie uses the word "speculate" twice in his post, and ends by posing a question for discussion (you know, on this discussion forum) rather than implying his comments are factual.

ioan
1st September 2008, 13:58
Which is probably why Knockie uses the word "speculate" twice in his post, and ends by posing a question for discussion (you know, on this discussion forum) rather than implying his comments are factual.

And where's the problem? I only said what he said, that it was speculation.
Oh and that's what we are doing, discussing, well, if we don't take into account your attempts at attacking me for whatever reasons you might have! :p :

Dave B
1st September 2008, 14:29
And where's the problem? I only said what he said, that it was speculation.

I assumed from the " :rolleyes: " at the end of your sentence that you disapproved. If I misunderstood then I aplogise, but would suggest you revise your use of smilies.

Oh and that's what we are doing, discussing, well, if we don't take into account your attempts at attacking me for whatever reasons you might have! :p :
If you can provide a link to anywhere I've attacked you then please report it using the correct channels.

Knock-on
1st September 2008, 14:41
If that was the case they sure would have done it on place, not after 1 season during which their name could have been muddied (if that was the case).

And the financial issues were very much apparent by the end of last year! ;)

Thanks to Dave for pointing out the obvious.

I take it you think there is nothing to be gained in this discussion as it differs from your opinion that Maxgate has had no negative effect on F1.

That's fine but you are overlooking various things such as Contracts and the fact that the economic situation has worsened significantly since the beginning of the year.

cy bais
1st September 2008, 15:46
F1 always fluctuates.

Agreed - BE's been good at finding new industries to enter F1. But I also agree with other posts about F1 needing to keep costs down so that we see the privateers stay in F1, and if possible, new ones enter. :)

ioan
1st September 2008, 17:16
I take it you think there is nothing to be gained in this discussion as it differs from your opinion that Maxgate has had no negative effect on F1.

Exactly! :D

Knock-on
1st September 2008, 17:47
Agreed - BE's been good at finding new industries to enter F1. But I also agree with other posts about F1 needing to keep costs down so that we see the privateers stay in F1, and if possible, new ones enter. :)

F1 is an attractive platform for new technology companies so the likes of HP and the such were always going to find their way into the sport but valuable sponsors such as Credit Suisse cannot easily be replaced.

CS have been a solid supporter of the private Sauber team and a cornerstone of their development. Perhaps we might see other technologies supporting privateer teams in the future but I am worried that the attractiveness may not be as apparent post Maxgate.

As for reducing costs, this really has to come from the FIA, and they have a funny way on how to achieve it. They have done some good such as a relative period of stability of the regulations but then they bring in initiatives such as KERS and try to reduce costs in areas that cannot be monitored.

Press Release
World Motor Sport Council - Decisions 07/12/2007

The World Motor Sport Council met in Monaco on 7 December, 2007. The following decisions were taken:

FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

As part of the total 10-year freeze on engine development, only engines which have been homologated by the FIA and delivered no later than 31 March 2008* may be used at an Event during the 2008-2017 Championships. Any such engine must include all the parts described in the 2008 F1 Technical Regulations and be identical to one which has completed two race Events during the 2007 Championship season.

* Or at the first opportunity in the event that a competitor has no engine available which has completed two race Events in the 2008 Championship season.

A number of principles for cost reduction were agreed for the FIA Formula One World Championship.

The following aerodynamic testing restrictions will be applied from 2008:

• Teams to use no more than one wind tunnel.
• Test fluid to be air at atmospheric pressure.
• Maximum test section wind speed 50m/sec.
• Maximum model scale 60%.
• No more than one model to be tested during a run.
• Maximum usage to be equivalent to 15 runs per 8 hour day on 5 days per week for team F1 purposes. Tunnel may be contracted out at other times.
• Aerodynamic testing may only take place in wind tunnels if at reduced scale or at FIA approved test tracks if full scale. Full size testing to be subject to the F1 testing agreement.
• Full scale specific aerodynamic testing is to be reduced to 5 days/year.
• Restrictions will be imposed to stop shift of resource from wind tunnel testing to CFD.
• The number of people involved in CFD development will be limited to a number to be agreed.
• CFD computer systems will be characterised in order to set hardware performance limits but growth will be allowed year-on-year to allow for hardware / software development.

Other restrictions will be placed on Rig Testing, Design and Manufacturing, Suspension and Brakes, Hydraulic Systems, Bodywork, Weight Distribution, Circuit Testing and the number of personnel at races.

Further details of these restrictions will be given to the teams at a meeting on 11 January 2008 and detailed regulations based on these principles will be put forward at the spring meeting of the WMSC.

The Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS), to be introduced in 2009, will continue to be an entirely open technology. As such, the use of any type of KERS storage/transmission technology will be permitted.

They just don't seem to have much in the way of joined up thinking.