PDA

View Full Version : Kimi to "help" Massa if required

Dave B
28th August 2008, 14:40
According to Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70103), Raikkonen is to support Massa's championship bid "if required".

Seems strange given that Kimi trails Felipe by a mere seven points, which could so easily swap around if Massa has another DNF.

I note that the statement by Stefano Domenicali doesn't raise the possibility of the arrangement working the other way round, and is supportive of Massa's ability to win the Championship. In fact, he even says that the team will "help" him.

I certainly can't imagine the Finn being particularly happy about this. A cynic might suggest that Ferrari have already made up their mind about Kimi's future. Of course it might be a none-too-subtle stunt to make him buck his ideas up and start performing again.

With Alonso refusing to commit, and Kubica only willing to add one year to his BMW contract, Raikkonen's prospects at Ferrari look far from certain.

janneppi
28th August 2008, 15:31
I'm guessing the reason Domenicalli says that is because Gazzetta dello Sport has asked him about it, if they asked If Massa would help Kimi, would they get the exactly same answer, yes if needed, like what happened last year. A bit of a non issue, really, nothing to put on the front page. ;)

pino
28th August 2008, 15:51
For what I understand and hear/read on ital media, Ferrari still have huge confidence in Kimi and will only ask him to help Massa, when his chances to retain the title are zero ;)

ioan
28th August 2008, 15:56
According to Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70103), Raikkonen is to support Massa's championship bid "if required".

Seems strange given that Kimi trails Felipe by a mere seven points, which could so easily swap around if Massa has another DNF.

I note that the statement by Stefano Domenicali doesn't raise the possibility of the arrangement working the other way round, and is supportive of Massa's ability to win the Championship. In fact, he even says that the team will "help" him.

I certainly can't imagine the Finn being particularly happy about this. A cynic might suggest that Ferrari have already made up their mind about Kimi's future. Of course it might be a none-too-subtle stunt to make him buck his ideas up and start performing again.

With Alonso refusing to commit, and Kubica only willing to add one year to his BMW contract, Raikkonen's prospects at Ferrari look far from certain.

The interesting phrase in that article being:

"Before then, however, let's see how things evolve."

Cheers! :D

harsha
28th August 2008, 16:00
all it takes is a massa blunder and a Kimi victory for Kimi to overtake Massa in the standards

Mifune
28th August 2008, 16:51
[quote="Dave Brockman"]According to Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70103), Raikkonen is to support Massa's championship bid "if required".

if: conjunction
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gif; akin to Old High German ibu if
1 a: in the event that b: allowing that c: on the assumption that d: on condition that

"If he has to, Kimi will help Felipe, as we said at the beginning of the year," "But, first, let's see how things evolve,"
Domenicali

This is news?

gloomyDAY
28th August 2008, 17:44
lol

As if Kimi would stand for this!

Kimi is still in the hunt, so this seems quite irrelevant.

speeddurango
29th August 2008, 04:05
I note that the statement by Stefano Domenicali doesn't raise the possibility of the arrangement working the other way round

It's true he didn't say that, nor did he say anything as you suggested, a team favored Massa, he's merely suggesting a possibility "If needed, Kimi will help Felipe", and "Before then, however, let's see how things evolve."

CNR
29th August 2008, 07:53
you could look at this another way last year if lewis or alonso had of worked as a team there is no way that Ferrari would have won

Storm
29th August 2008, 08:11
Its going to be difficult for Kimi to help Massa though...for that he has to take points off Hamilton...which means beating Lewis in quallies and races.
On current form... :s :p :

PolePosition_1
29th August 2008, 08:32
Its exactly as most people say. IF REQUIRED.

I'm sure this wasn't a press release, merely being asked a question, and he answered it correctly.

Though we still have 6 races to go, and he is only 7 points behind Massa, so as Ferrari point out, its just a waiting game to see how things evolve.

leopard
29th August 2008, 09:52
I think both Ferrari drivers have a fifty fifty probability who will support and who will gain the the support. Team said optimistically that Kimi will return of form. We can see this a repetition of last year's McLaren ambiguity, a fact from which Ferrari has to learn.

Arranging the order between two things practically equal is a case sensitive. I see less problem Massa to help the teammate if need be. Let the progress decide itself, if in couple next races Massa constantly gives incisive quality, I think would be more wise to go for the bigger probability.

Knock-on
29th August 2008, 10:12
I think it is worthy of mention just for the fact that SD has not said anything like this before.

If I was him and was asked the question of whether Kimi is going to support Massa, I would have replied along the lines of:

"When a driver has no chance to win, he will help the other"

Stops all the speculation.

Personally, I think on current performance, they should put all resources behind Massa. Only problem is that they need to keep one eye on the Constructors.

ioan
29th August 2008, 11:25
Nonsense made up from nothing.

Knock-on
29th August 2008, 14:23
So, we are into the last 6 races.

Lewis leads Massa by 6 and Kimi by 13.

McLaren are only 8 behind Ferrari and BMW aren’t really a threat for the Constructors.

Can Ferrari afford to have Kimi’s race strategy compromised to support Massa?

I don’t really think they can afford to.

CNR
30th August 2008, 01:01
did massa help kimi last year ? is it time for payback

markabilly
30th August 2008, 02:17
This article and contents should be carefully studied for those interested in developing their techniques on how to say and mean nothing while sounding like they said something, so as to cause controversy and publicity and more controversy.....sometimes refferred to as a "profundity" a statement sounding very profound, but usually only true by definition, at best.

If necessary, we shall all commit hari-kari. If necessary, I shall get a job. After all, that which is necessary, is that which should be done

leopard
9th September 2008, 08:14
did massa help kimi last year ? is it time for payback

Even this year he helps him. ;)