PDA

View Full Version : The Masons' bizarre NASCAR campaign

tstran17_88
30th January 2007, 18:46
A few weekends ago, I was strolling down my street in D.C. when I noticed something odd. No, not the massive Masonic temple adorned with a pair of stone sphinxes and an eerie ziggurat. (The temple's certainly odd, but D.C. residents quickly stop noticing it.) Rather, what caught my eye was the scene in front of the temple: On the wide steps, beneath the sphinxes' unnerving gaze, there sat a bright blue, NASCAR-style race car, looking entirely out of place—as though it had magically teleported to this spot from some tobacco-stained test track in North Carolina.

On the car's hood—where you'd expect to find the logo of a famous brand, like Home Depot or Budweiser—there was a painting of an eagle with two heads. On the car's side was a strange little glyph: a drafter's compass crossed with a set square. On the rear bumper was written "ScottishRite.org."

The Scottish Rite is a worldwide organization of Freemasons—the centuries-old fraternity that is sometimes accused of controlling "like, everything, man," and counts among its members several founding fathers and a slew of presidents (including George Washington, both Roosevelts, and, more recently, Gerald Ford). The Rite's global headquarters are housed in that giant, intimidating temple on my street. The compass with square is a traditional symbol of Freemasonry. None of which answers my real question: Why on earth are the Masons advertising on the hood of a stock car?
I called up Stan Dodd, who manages public relations for the Scottish Rite. (Yes, even the notoriously secretive Masons have a PR guy.) "Like a lot of other civic groups," he said, "we've seen our membership get a little older, and we've seen some retraction in our numbers." Dodd says the Masons' median age right now is in the 60s. "We need some younger members."

Enter NASCAR. Driver Brian Conz (who competes in NASCAR's Busch Series races) is a Mason and helped engineer this deal between his race team and the Scottish Rite. By appearing on the hood of Conz's car, the Rite will reach millions of viewers during ESPN's race coverage. (Up to 30 million "impressions" per race—a figure that calculates the number of people watching, and the number of times a portion of the car appears on screen.) "The NASCAR demographics fit our demographics," says Dodd. When I ask him to be more specific, he just says, "Men."

(I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions about what other attributes the NASCAR demographic and the Scottish Rite demographic might share. Dodd says the only previous major promotion he's done is with a Masonic country singer who writes songs with titles like "The Masonic Ring" and "The Rite Stuff." I should also note that there is a separate, much smaller division of the Scottish Rite, which holds jurisdiction over 15 northern and northeastern states—this crowd might be less likely to exhibit a passion for NASCAR and country music.)

Why choose now, after decades of very low-key or nonexistent membership marketing, to suddenly chase ESPN-level visibility? "The culturalists we've talked to," says Dodd, "tell us there's a window. Young people these days are looking for ways to give back to their communities."

While the outside world likes to picture the Masons as a shadowy cabal of power brokers, Dodd describes them simply as "men with like interests" who do good works. He says Masons donate about $2 million a day to charity, pointing out projects like the Scottish Rite's efforts on behalf of children with hearing and speech pathologies, or the free hospital care famously provided by the Shriners (another Masonic group). Dodd says that Masons have gotten some bad press lately—he takes issue with The Da Vinci Code, which portrayed the Masons as part of a vast, globo-religio-historical web of intrigue—and he feels the NASCAR affiliation is a way to counter those negatives and promote the Scottish Rite as a crew of kindhearted Samaritans.

http://www.slate.com/id/2158490?GT1=9010 (for rest of story)

RaceFanStan
30th January 2007, 19:50
The Masons have long been considered a "secret society" & people question their intentions.

Let me lift the cover of the "unknown" just a little .....
I can tell you that the Masons are group of civic-minded men who look for ways to help their communities.
The Masons are very charitible with their time & their money.
The Masons expect their members to conduct themselves in a proper & honorable manner.
Furthermore the Masons don't toot their own horn but I know they help sick children among other things.
The Masons do their good deeds just for the sake of helping others but they shy away from the glory of men.
Many things about the Masons are not publicly known but I will say their intentions are honorable.
People should never attribute sinister slurs to the Masons, they don't deserve that.

I see nothing wrong with the Scottish Rite sponsoring a car in NASCAR.
It will give them high visibility & hopefully encourage some good young men to join them.

call_me_andrew
30th January 2007, 21:58
The Masons have long been considered a "secret society" & people question their intentions.

Let me lift the cover of the "unknown" just a little .....
I can tell you that the Masons are group of civic-minded men who look for ways to help their communities.

And there is no mafia.

muggle not
30th January 2007, 23:40
My brother-inlaw is a Mason. Lord knows they need some good young men. :)

Lee Roy
31st January 2007, 01:28
A few weekends ago, I was strolling down my street in D.C. when I noticed something odd. No, not the massive Masonic temple adorned with a pair of stone sphinxes and an eerie ziggurat. (The temple's certainly odd, but D.C. residents quickly stop noticing it.)

Are you talking about the one near 14th and K?

SOD
31st January 2007, 16:01
I love my Masons more.

tstran17_88
31st January 2007, 18:38
Are you talking about the one near 14th and K?That wasn't me Lee Roy, that was the author of the article. I've only been to DC once, and that was this past fall after the Richmond race.

I agree with Stan...the Mason's and the Green Bay Packers work together to sponsor a preseason game every year with proceeds going to the Shriner's Hospital. They've been doing that for longer than I can remember.

Lee Roy
1st February 2007, 12:52
That wasn't me Lee Roy, that was the author of the article. I've only been to DC once, and that was this past fall after the Richmond race.

Ah, I see now. Thanks.

If that shriners temple is the one I'm thinking of, it's about 2 blocks from where I work.

And I agree with you and Stan on the Shriners. They do a lot of good for people.