PDA

View Full Version : Barcelona modifactions

wedge
30th January 2007, 14:59
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56513

Are there any pictures or illustrations of the modifacations?

Donney
30th January 2007, 16:03
This (http://www.motorpasion.com/2007/01/22-lista-la-nueva-chicane-de-montmelo) is the only thing I've found, and it is not much

EDIT:

Here are more pictures (http://www.motor21.com/galeria.asp?dt=315&p=2), just click on them to make them bigger.

Quetch
30th January 2007, 17:29
http://www.a5.hu/cikkek/53/18719.shtml

zoostation
30th January 2007, 18:23
good or bad then?

Viktory
30th January 2007, 19:20
In my opinion bad. The last two corners where pretty much the most spectacular part of the circuit, now the last turn won't be as fast as previously

luvracin
30th January 2007, 19:29
Why didn't they just lengthen the short chute before the final turn and then that would allow them to tighten up the last corner, maybe even make it come back on itself a few degrees. Would force the cars to brake harder into the final turn - washing off alot more speed - but at least we wouldn't have a stupid chicane.

K-Pu
30th January 2007, 20:00
Bad modifications...

I donīt think plaguing circuits with chicanes is the best solution, and Barcelona is a quite dull one. If you can overtake at the chicane, itīs ok, but how would you do it in this case? Before this we saw that stange modification at La Caixa, and it was "interesting" to see how pilots were trying to take it as fast as possible, and each of them used a different way. Not the most exciting feature, but at least we could see SOMETHING. With this chicane... nothing.

cosmicpanda
30th January 2007, 21:05
It's good. F1 cars couldn't follow closely onto the straight because of the turbulence with the old design. This design should allow them to come onto the straight much closer to each other, meaning we should see some more overtaking at the first corner.

andreag
30th January 2007, 21:11
It's good. F1 cars couldn't follow closely onto the straight because of the turbulence with the old design. This design should allow them to come onto the straight much closer to each other, meaning we should see some more overtaking at the first corner.
Agree. I've seen it last week on the circuit itself, and that was my thought.

Montmelo needs overtaking chances, and this chicane will bring two points to do it (just at the enter of the chicane, and at the first corner).

Sleeper
31st January 2007, 00:30
Agree. I've seen it last week on the circuit itself, and that was my thought.

Montmelo needs overtaking chances, and this chicane will bring two points to do it (just at the enter of the chicane, and at the first corner).
Were talking about Barcelona which now has two chicanes, the first being turn 1/2 and the new one in the tightest and twistiest part of the circuit.

I doubt it will change much, F1 cars take anything other a 90+ degree corner at a fair rate of speed these days and it will probably be even harder to overtake. Pessemistick but sadley likely to be true.

andreag
31st January 2007, 01:24
Until now, the section between corner 11th (Banc Sabadell) and 13th (New Holland), the one you call "tightest and twistiest part of the circuit", was an accelleration area (from 120 to 280 km/h), with a slight break to negotiate New Holland before the straight.

In that conditions overtaking was impossible, and the distance of cars starting the long straight, made it difficult. Now the chicane will allow cars to arrive to New Holland (the last corner) much closer than before, giving more chances of overtaking on the straight.

wedge
31st January 2007, 01:26
Thanks guys.

I'm in two minds. The last corner is probably one of the most under-rated corners in F1. In qualy the cars would go through that corner almost flat out - but the circuit is littered with hi-speed corners and therefore the car behind was stuck in dirty air.

My feeling is that they should've at least altered T1&T2 into sharper corners, increase braking distances and overtaking chances.

ArrowsFA1
31st January 2007, 09:47
I guess it's cheaper to keep modifying circuits than it is for the FIA to actually do something about aero on the cars themselves :dozey:

ShiftingGears
31st January 2007, 10:02
I guess it's cheaper to keep modifying circuits than it is for the FIA to actually do something about aero on the cars themselves :dozey:

Precisely! I have quite a dislike of chicanes. I wonder how long it will take for existing Tilke tracks to be altered for chicanes?

Sleeper
31st January 2007, 15:32
Until now, the section between corner 11th (Banc Sabadell) and 13th (New Holland), the one you call "tightest and twistiest part of the circuit", was an accelleration area (from 120 to 280 km/h), with a slight break to negotiate New Holland before the straight.

In that conditions overtaking was impossible, and the distance of cars starting the long straight, made it difficult. Now the chicane will allow cars to arrive to New Holland (the last corner) much closer than before, giving more chances of overtaking on the straight.
True, the last two corners were vey fast but they are coming out of La Caixa and the following corner (cant remember its name). The new chicane means that the last series of corners from La Caixa on are all going to be tacken at mid-to-high speed, something that is going to prevent overtaking.

If passing is whats wanted then New Holland should be made considerably tighter, that would go a long way to sorting that out.

Erki
31st January 2007, 15:44
Boooooooooooooooooooo! :down:

What really surprise me are the comments here that suggest that those chicanes are all good because they (theoretically) produce more overtaking. Artificial overtaking, that it. They could use the old Avus track then if all they want is sharp corners and 4-km straights.

Modern circuits become dumber and dumber. Almost makes me cry.

andreag
31st January 2007, 16:37
What really surprise me are the comments here that suggest that those chicanes are all good because they (theoretically) produce more overtaking.
I didn't say ALL chicanes are good. I just refered to new Montmelo chicane, and it is for two reasons:

1.- The way this part of the circuit was before, made overtaking almost impossible.

2.- I've seen it on location, and not just in photos, and I drove it before it changed (I want to do it also after).

Artificial overtaking, that it.
Do you see this as "artificial overtaking"?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_GlYbH1Fvg

Old circuit, slow chicane, fast cars and clever drivers. But it was done!

Erki
31st January 2007, 19:52
Of course it was done, it was Montoya! But that chicane still isn't my favourite corner. What I meant was that adding chicanes left right and middle is just a mickey mouse way of creating overtaking. What about taking a close look on the cars and find a way to avoid that turbulence effect.

andreag
31st January 2007, 20:50
What about taking a close look on the cars and find a way to avoid that turbulence effect.
But of course; the matter is it doen't seem to be on FIA plans for the next years.

So any other solution to increase overtaking opportunities has to be welcome. Most of us still dream of a comeback of pure overtaking and more control in drivers' hands, instead of aero overdose and too much electronic control (some is OK, but this is too much); so though chicanes aren't the best solution, are better than nothing. Do you remember last Spanish G.P. It was OK on the circuit (almost any race is exciting that way), but everyone who watch it on TV said it was booooooring.

You'll see next race in Montmelo, and you'll have more fun than in 2006.

By the way, the Bus Stop isn't my fave corner too.

jens
1st February 2007, 00:44
What concerns Barcelona, then Turn 1 should be a lot tighter. Only that may cause more overtaking manouvers.

tinchote
1st February 2007, 03:24
I hate it when they modify circuits, because you lose the comparison with previous years :s

andreag
1st February 2007, 03:49
You loose it too when they change the tyre rule, when they change qualify system, when they change from V10 to V8, when they change aero rules, or brakes, or traction control, or .... ; in other words, comparation is lost when :evil: FIA :evil: decide to change anything.

Erki
1st February 2007, 09:50
Isn't Melbourne the only unchanged circuit on the calendar? I think it has been the same now for 12 years. That should give some comparision.

VresiBerba
2nd February 2007, 01:14

Not to mention impossible as long as the concept of Concorde Agreement is in effect.

Speedworx
2nd February 2007, 01:18

How????

Last corner is still 5th gear after the drivers tested, so they are still fast and won't get any extra passing done.

Its not been done to aid overtaking, its been done for safety. Once again the idiots have ruined a decent-ish track.