PDA

View Full Version : A Time Machine

Rollo
18th August 2008, 09:42
I've been given the task of covering of a plot hole in someone's grphic novel.

Suppose for arguments sake that you actually wanted to build a time machine for the purposes of travelling through time... How would you hand wave this so that it would be technically possible?

Actually, I'd either like the Stargate, Dr Who or Back to the Furture nerds to tell me how they hand-waved it.

Mark
18th August 2008, 10:42
It's quite straightforward really, you set your time circuits to the required date, achieve a speed of 88mph whilst simutaneously putting 1.21Gigawatts of electrical power into the flux capacitor, and you will then travel through time.

It's not clear how it works but I would guess the power going into the flux capacitor is sufficient to rip a hole in space time which sufficiently big enough to allow a car to drive through.

Brown, Jon Brow
18th August 2008, 11:18
Well aren't astronauts technically time travelers?

BDunnell
18th August 2008, 11:30
Well aren't astronauts technically time travelers?

Not so technically, we all are when we change time zones.

Dave B
18th August 2008, 11:56
You've never seen me, only the light which bounced off of me a trillionth of a millisecond previously. Technically, therefore, I am a time traveller - relative to you.

Drew
18th August 2008, 18:19
Graphic novel, how graphic are we talking here?

Hazell B
18th August 2008, 20:15
You've never seen me, only the light which bounced off of me a trillionth of a millisecond previously. Technically, therefore, I am a time traveller - relative to you.

I want what Dave's smoking :p :

Not so sure about the driving at 88 while being hit by lightening - I once drove at 88 and never moved faster than 88 :mark: Then again, my speedo's probably very wrong.

The Bill and Ted version, with time strands in an inner world, appeals to be most. Looks good, easy to explain and if Ted could work the controls any fool can :p :

A.F.F.
18th August 2008, 20:25
I usually use alcohol for time travelling. But I haven't manage to jump further than next morning :mark:

Brown, Jon Brow
18th August 2008, 20:59
I usually use alcohol for time travelling. But I haven't manage to jump further than next morning :mark:

You can run (or seem to run) faster when you are drunk :)

schmenke
18th August 2008, 23:34

You can also dance better...

:erm:

Zico
19th August 2008, 00:24
You could try a slightly different concept of building a mini fallopian particle collider (ie Hadron Collider) where you would travel in time through the created mini-black hole, the size and power of which, would depend on which particles were collided in this key ring sized fallopian collider tube. The larger the black hole, the further in space/time you were flung where you would have to rely on their being a fully reversable time machine that could take you back.

You'd need a space suit and a jet pack tho..

Mark
19th August 2008, 08:51
You could try a slightly different concept of building a mini fallopian particle collider (ie Hadron Collider) where you would travel in time through the created mini-black hole, the size and power of which, would depend on which particles were collided in this key ring sized fallopian collider tube. The larger the black hole, the further in space/time you were flung where you would have to rely on their being a fully reversable time machine that could take you back.

You'd need a space suit and a jet pack tho..

Isn't that the principle on which the StarGate works? i.e. Creates a wormhole through to a different place. Of course there is no time travel involved there.

Hazel, you're speedo was probably under reading, on most car speedos you'll need to be doing an indicated 95mph before you get to 88mph, I'd try again :p

Hazell B
20th August 2008, 18:55

I can't :mark:

Mark, I'm never going over 70 again. It's illegal for starters .....

Been having a think about time travel. Can't the guy in Heroes just think and off he goes? I'd opt for that version. Lazy, that's me :up:

Andrewmcm
20th August 2008, 21:51
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_travel

MrJan
20th August 2008, 23:35

Maybe you can but when I'm drunk it's generally a good thing if I can still walk and even then it's usually pretty slow going :D

:erm:

That is so true ;) Everyone stands back with mouths open in amazement when I hit the dance floor after a few pints..........and some double vodka red bulls.........and some shots of sambuca..........and a few more pints :s pinhead:

gloomyDAY
21st August 2008, 01:21
http://www.geocities.com/matrionix/it.JPG