PDA

View Full Version : Increased calendar

Knock-on
13th August 2008, 11:19
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69764

Mclaren are going to be rotating personnel next year as it's unfair to have static duties during the increasing season.

Will there be an issue with continuity or could this benefit the team?

Wonder if other will follow suit?

wedge
13th August 2008, 11:43
Obviously the big teams can do it because of the size of their personnel.

Continuity? Possible issue but I'm sure we'll be seeing the same key figures (eg. race engineers, technical directors) at the races.

Dave B
13th August 2008, 13:18
Now watch Max bring in a rule similar to that governing engine and gearbox use: all team personnel must last for at least 4 Grands Prix :p

Seems like a good idea, and one that's been successfully employed in NASCAR for years. Anybody who has worked in motorsport knows that it's a labour of love, but this will give McLaren employees an improved quality of life. The most sensible HR suggestion since Eddie Jordan pushed for the three-week summer break :up:

13th August 2008, 13:57
this will give McLaren employees an improved quality of life.

Criminals shouldn't be given an easy time, you bloody liberal do-gooders!!!

You'll be wanting them to have conjugal rights next when their wives visit.

Knock-on
13th August 2008, 15:06

Who's a criminal.

I know that an ex-employee of Ferrari is facing criminal proceedings. Is this who you are referring to?

:p

JSH
13th August 2008, 15:30
Obviously the big teams can do it because of the size of their personnel.

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't affect personnel costs too much... The people will just get paid less according to the number of races they work or get less bonus..etc.

...IMO.... :(

PolePosition_1
13th August 2008, 15:54

How did you find it when you "worked for an F1 team"? Did you find it exhausting ?

Back to topic - I think its a good idea, its slightly harsh to expect people with families to not have more than 1 week off with their families for majority of the year.

14th August 2008, 14:23
How did you find it when you "worked for an F1 team"? Did you find it exhausting ?

Yes, which is why I retired 30 years before I had to. 18 hour days do take it out of a man, plus the intense pressure to get results.

That said, when I could no longer stand the heat I got out of the kitchen.

Easy Drifter
15th August 2008, 02:12
Some time ago I posted about the # of last races being fly away and how hard it would be on the mechanics. It seems McLaren have recognized this and you quite likely will see other teams following suit.
I only worked F1 for a couple of races but I was a mechanic/crew chief on FA for several years. Even with a much lighter schedule it does wear you down.

Mark
15th August 2008, 08:17
Something only the big teams can afford to do I think. As you have to employ/train two people to do a particular task rather that one.

How many employees to the teams usually take to a race anyway?

21st August 2008, 06:59
Kungfu university, the best kungfu teaching website. And many kungfu masters have joined our team. Masters from different kungfu families will teach you face to face, hand by hand. Here you can learn the real kungfu, different kungfu parties' kungfu in the world. To be a master. Come on! Only $360, you can enjoy the mysterious kungfu.www.kungfuuniversity.com (http://www.kungfuuniversity.com/)