PDA

View Full Version : Reporting posts

Mark
29th January 2007, 15:26
Can I just reiterate again, that moderators DO NOT read every single post and check every single link just to make sure it's okay.

Most moderators read and participate in the forum in exactly the same way that any other member does, except that they have the power (and responsibility) to respond to situations when they occur.

Thusly, if there is something objectionable on the forum probably isn't because a moderator 'allowed' it, it's because it hasn't been seen.

If you report the post it will appear in the moderators forum where all the moderators can see it and then take action upon it, if any is needed.

Many thanks

Knock-on
29th January 2007, 15:59
Can I just reiterate again, that moderators DO NOT read every single post and check every single link just to make sure it's okay.

Most moderators read and participate in the forum in exactly the same way that any other member does, except that they have the power (and responsibility) to respond to situations when they occur.

Thusly, if there is something objectionable on the forum probably isn't because a moderator 'allowed' it, it's because it hasn't been seen.

If you report the post it will appear in the moderators forum where all the moderators can see it and then take action upon it, if any is needed.

Many thanks

Let me guess ;)

naw, it's too obvious :laugh:

29th January 2007, 16:36
What's the point in reporting posts when some of the so-called moderators condone the contents?

Mark
29th January 2007, 16:39
What's the point in reporting posts when some of the so-called moderators condone the contents?

Because it is called to the attention of all moderators.

29th January 2007, 16:58
OK, so now I have reported the three posts containing unfounded and incorrect statements and personal abuse, would you like to explain why a moderator suggests the member who is the target should ignore it instead of deleting the offending posts or tackling the poster?

Hazell B
29th January 2007, 17:56
I've just reported only my second (I think) ever post in all the years I've been here. Now I feel a bit mean as it wasn't even that bad (but a bit too adult in nature) and I thought a mod had read and ignored it.

That's got nothing to do with the thread, I just felt the need to mention it :p :

Knock-on
30th January 2007, 11:52
OK, so now I have reported the three posts containing unfounded and incorrect statements and personal abuse, would you like to explain why a moderator suggests the member who is the target should ignore it instead of deleting the offending posts or tackling the poster?

Do we know that it has been addressed or even if it was felt necessary to address?

There are some members who feel all self righteous about how people should behave towards other members and what their conduct should be. In my experience, they are some of the worst. (And I am NOT talking about you)

Conversation can become a bit heated but this isn't work where you have to abide to a strict code of professional behaviour. This is play and we can behave with a degree of flexibility within limits.

A word out of place or a disparaging comment is normally within tolerance.

Mark
30th January 2007, 12:02
A lot of the time we look at reported posts and think "there's nothing to be done here". But we'd still rather have 50% of the reported posts requiring no action, than not find out about something then get accused of 'allowing' comments.

Knock-on is spot on, moderators are not here to stop people disagreeing with you. I personally frequent a few forums where there is no moderator and for the most part it's fine.

agwiii
30th January 2007, 17:28
Knock-on is <snip>

:laugh: I haver never seen more violations of forum etiquette, inappropriate posts, insults, or hijacking of threads than by Forum Pet and Sycophant KO. It is pathetic to watch.

agwiii
30th January 2007, 17:31

Ah, Tamburello my friend, you are absolutely correct. I have found that when the Forum Sycophant insults another forum member, posts inappropriate content, hijacks a thread, or commits other violations, nothing is done. I am coming to the conclusion that the only thing to do is block him. This removes the source of the irritation. To paraphase that old commercial, "Plonk, Plonk! Oh what a relief it is!"

Knock-on
31st January 2007, 12:13
Agwiii

You are truly unbelievable. :laugh:

:kiss:

BeansBeansBeans
31st January 2007, 14:35
I haver never seen more violations of forum etiquette, inappropriate posts, insults, or hijacking of threads than by Forum Pet and Sycophant KO. It is pathetic to watch.

Not many members will share your opinion of Knockie, I'll just say that.

Knock-on
31st January 2007, 15:13
Not many members will share your opinion of Knockie, I'll just say that.

Why, thank you very much 3B but in actual fact, I find Agwiii's attention quite flattering. It's nice to know he cares ;)

I love the little PM's I receive from him. So thoughtful if a little predictable. However, it has helped develop my vocabulary no end.

For example; sycophant. Now, I'm not sure on the American meaning of the word but over here, we might describe it as a bit of a bottom kisser or a yes man who flatters people to gain position.

Now, I don't know about that because I think I'm one of the most outspoken people here who argues points ferosiously; giving nor receiving quarter.

The impression I must therefore take from Agwiii's claim that I am a sycophant is that I'm more of a pussy cat that I thought and need to toughen up a bit :D

agwiii
31st January 2007, 15:16
Not many members will share your opinion of <CENSORED>, I'll just say that.

Beans, I did not express an opinion. I made a statement of fact.

pino
31st January 2007, 15:21
Please let's stick to the topic, which is "Reporting posts"...thanks :)

agwii & Knock-on once again please take your personal issues to PM !

agwiii
31st January 2007, 15:28

Tamburello, my friend. The answer is very simple. There is one set of rules for most of us, and another set of rules for special friends. I have made similar reports of blatant insults, misleading statements, hijacking of threads, etc., to no avail. I will continue to report these violations, knowing that enforcement is unlikely. I have reported violations of forum etiquette, inappropriate posts, insults and hijacking of threads, only to see them go ignored when they come from the nameless Forum Sycophant.

agwiii
31st January 2007, 16:27
I've just reported only my second (I think) ever post in all the years I've been here. Now I feel a bit mean as it wasn't even that bad (but a bit too adult in nature) and I thought a mod had read and ignored it. That's got nothing to do with the thread, I just felt the need to mention it :p :

Hazell:

I run a number of discussion groups on a variety of topics and have never seen such dissension. Over time, I developed five very simple rules and I post them to each group upon a member joining the group, and on a monthly basis. These are the rules.

There are five basic rules under which this list operates, listed in order of importance:

1) KEEP IT LEGAL. We will not permit our members to send, knowingly receive, upload, download or use any material which is offensive, abusive, indecent, defamatory, obscene or menacing, or in breach of copyright, confidence, privacy or any other rights, or to cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety among other members.

2) KEEP IT PRIVATE. All messages on this group are private and confidential and may be legally privileged. All messages posted to this group become the property of the group. You must obtain permission to forward in part or in whole, any message, data contained within, MX and other header information. Please note this is a legally enforceable contract.

3) KEEP IT NICE. We will take the good with the bad. Discussion needs to be kept respectful and civil in order to keep this a place where constructive information can be shared.

4) KEEP IT CLEAN. Foul language insults the author's own intelligence more than it insults anybody else. Again, disagreement is fine, as long as it remains respectful of the rest of the membership.

5) KEEP IT ON TOPIC. It is very tempting to discuss international political developments, the United Nations, gun control, and local issues here. Resist the temptation and find a more appropriate place to post such topics.

To keep the list easy to read and threads easy to follow:

a) SNIP EXTRANEOUS MATERIAL when replying: if you are replying to a single point in a multi-point post, please snip all but the issue you are addressing.

b) CHANGE THE SUBJECT LINE in your reply if you change the topic of a thread.

c) DO NOT POST IN ALL-CAPITALS. IT IS HARDER TO READ AND IS CONSIDERED TO BE POOR "NETIQUETTE" (CONSIDERED TO BE "SHOUTING"). (Sorry about that, but it illustrates the point, yes?)

d) Thanks for keeping this List a friendly, comfortable forum for all of us.
If you have any questions, about Internet posting and etiquette, please read http://www.albion.com/netiquette/

Hazell B
31st January 2007, 16:45
Hazell:

4) KEEP IT CLEAN. Foul language insults the author's own intelligence more than it insults anybody else.

Thanks agwiii :up:
If you could only hear my usual floral use of language in everyday conversation, you'd think me an imbecile :D The fact that I can reproduce some of it in Latin doesn't improve the situation, either :laugh:

As it happens, my recent report was probably from a whole other thread than people seem to think. It was just some random bit of adult language used without thought, not a serious thing at all.

schmenke
31st January 2007, 16:59
...2) KEEP IT PRIVATE. All messages on this group are private and confidential and may be legally privileged. ...

:confused:

Does this not contradict the very concept of an open internet forum?

agwiii
31st January 2007, 17:18
Thanks agwiii :up: If you could only hear my usual floral use of language in everyday conversation, you'd think me an imbecile :D The fact that I can reproduce some of it in Latin doesn't improve the situation, either :laugh:

:)

Yes dear, but family forms and colorful language are not the same environment. There are places where such language is even appropriate, but I digress.

Back to the thread of reporting posts, I have been tinkering with an additional guideline to address conflict of interest.

The gist of Black's is that a conflict of interest is a situation in which a person has a duty to more than one person, but cannot do justice to the actual or potentially adverse interests of both parties.

A forum example would be if a moderator had a personal relationship with one person on the forum and not with another, and were then called upon to address conflict between the two parties. There would be a severe conflict of interest that should disqualify the moderator in such a situation.

Two of my discussion groups have several other moderators, and I've seen this come up. In one case, one Mod was a Mac fanatic, and edited another member's post about Mac vs. Windoze. Sigh!

What do you think, Hazell?

agwiii
31st January 2007, 17:20
:confused:

Does this not contradict the very concept of an open internet forum?

Not necessarily. Suppose you posted something that revealed that you were being unfaithful to your spose, but another person here knew your real name, etc. Some forum members here socialize. Suppose that person revealed that information to your family, or your spouse?

OTOH, my rules are for Yahoogroups, which are slightly different than a forum.

YMMV.

agwiii
31st January 2007, 20:00
Hazell:

I run a number of discussion groups on a variety of topics and have never seen such dissension. Over time, I developed five very simple rules and I post them to each group upon a member joining the group, and on a monthly basis. These are the rules.

There are five basic rules under which this list operates, listed in order of importance:

1) KEEP IT LEGAL. We will not permit our members to send, knowingly receive, upload, download or use any material which is offensive, abusive, indecent, defamatory, obscene or menacing, or in breach of copyright, confidence, privacy or any other rights, or to cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety among other members.

2) KEEP IT PRIVATE. All messages on this group are private and confidential and may be legally privileged. All messages posted to this group become the property of the group. You must obtain permission to forward in part or in whole, any message, data contained within, MX and other header information. Please note this is a legally enforceable contract.

3) KEEP IT NICE. We will take the good with the bad. Discussion needs to be kept respectful and civil in order to keep this a place where constructive information can be shared.

4) KEEP IT CLEAN. Foul language insults the author's own intelligence more than it insults anybody else. Again, disagreement is fine, as long as it remains respectful of the rest of the membership.

5) KEEP IT ON TOPIC. It is very tempting to discuss international political developments, the United Nations, gun control, and local issues here. Resist the temptation and find a more appropriate place to post such topics.

To keep the list easy to read and threads easy to follow:

a) SNIP EXTRANEOUS MATERIAL when replying: if you are replying to a single point in a multi-point post, please snip all but the issue you are addressing.

b) CHANGE THE SUBJECT LINE in your reply if you change the topic of a thread.

c) DO NOT POST IN ALL-CAPITALS. IT IS HARDER TO READ AND IS CONSIDERED TO BE POOR "NETIQUETTE" (CONSIDERED TO BE "SHOUTING"). (Sorry about that, but it illustrates the point, yes?)

d) Thanks for keeping this List a friendly, comfortable forum for all of us.
If you have any questions, about Internet posting and etiquette, please read http://www.albion.com/netiquette/

To the coward who gave me negative points (or tried - it was gray because of your negative score), and wrote, "who the he** put you in charge of the forum?" I say - I'm not in charge here, not do I want to be. I posted the rules I use in my discussion groups to emphasize a point to Hazell in our on topic discussion of reporting posts.

I wonder what it is like to be you, dear coward. Hiding in anonymity, living under dark, dank rocks. That is some life you have, little gollem of the forum.

Hazell B
31st January 2007, 20:12
:)

A forum example would be if a moderator had a personal relationship with one person on the forum and not with another, and were then called upon to address conflict between the two parties. There would be a severe conflict of interest that should disqualify the moderator in such a situation.

What do you think, Hazell?

Good question.

I know some of the mods here, and like them. I know of another and dislike that person. I personally (not speaking for everyone here!) would rather the ones I know and like and the one I dislike didn't have a say in any disagreement I'm involved with. I wouldn't ask (an example only) Iain to moderate me as it wouldn't be much fun next time I saw him socially. Nor would I go running to him or ring him up demanding to removed posts if somebody was annoying me. It's just not fair - and I wouldn't feel I'd 'won' in a currupt system anyway :p :

Having said that, so far it's not happened to me so I can't really say the above wouldn't change. One of the mods I know did once take away a load of posts about me, but it was only later I realised it was him. He'd also taken out some of my posts (they were miles off topic and pointless) some months before - so it worked both ways. In general, moderating here seems fair to me, but then again I stay off the F1 and political threads so never see the mean stuff :p :

What about other people?
Anyone got a mod in their speed dail? :p :

If you press the report post button, it goes to all mods doesn't it? Not just the specific ones for that section of forum, I mean.

Hazell B
31st January 2007, 20:14
By the way, sorry about my spelling/grammar above.
Was on the phone whilst typing :mark:

schmenke
31st January 2007, 21:37
BTW, often, especially recently, when reporting a post a "Network Error-orsomethingorother..." error message is displayed :mark: .

Funks
31st January 2007, 22:17
If you press the report post button, it goes to all mods doesn't it? Not just the specific ones for that section of forum, I mean.

Yes - that is correct.

ArrowsFA1
1st February 2007, 11:13
Good question.
Leading questions often are.

agwiii
1st February 2007, 17:10
I know some of the mods here, and like them. I know of another and dislike that person. I personally (not speaking for everyone here!) would rather the ones I know and like and the one I dislike didn't have a say in any disagreement I'm involved with.

A great example of a conflict of interest, Hazell. Ethical considerations would require that these mods disqualify themselves from your situation. I would hope they have the integrity to do so.