View Full Version : Brawn to head FOTA

Knock-on
7th August 2008, 17:42
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69702

Very worthy appointment I think.

ioan
7th August 2008, 19:47
Not exactly:

Honda Racing boss Ross Brawn is ready to take on responsibility for coordinating the technical aspects of new regulations currently being put together by Formula One teams.

As I remember the FOTA is headed by Luca di Montezemolo. :p :

Oli_M
7th August 2008, 22:36
I think this makes very good sense. Although to me the biggest and most important news in that article is that a "majority" is now only 7 out of 10 teams, rather than the 10 out of 10 that is currently needed.

I would imagine all teams will work very closely, particularly on the technical aspects - with Brawn acting more as a mediator with his experience?

Valve Bounce
8th August 2008, 00:26
:up:

ArrowsFA1
8th August 2008, 08:03
Very worthy appointment I think.
Indeed :up: Ross Brawn would be a fine choice, and this is a further indication that the F1 teams are right to be encouraged by the unity shown in creating FOTA. It appears that very positive steps are being taken.

PolePosition_1
8th August 2008, 08:23
I'm not so sure. At end of the day Brawn is still in the competition, if this role involves final decision making powers, I don't think its a good idea.

Brawn comes across as a good honest guy, but undoubtably his loyalities are going to be with Honda, and I think think its all open to slight corruption.

If he merely acts as a guide, thats a different story, he obviously has a lot of talent, and would be an asset. Anything more than that, I think they should get an expert who isn't part of F1 competition.

52Paddy
8th August 2008, 08:34
F1 outfits have been asked by FIA president Max Mosley to come up with a series of regulations for 2011 that will help reduce costs and improve the sport's environmental credentials.

If they do not do so by October this year, then the FIA will impose its own radical regulations - which could include the use of common parts and engine rules that limit the amount of fuel teams can use

Makes me shudder :mark:

But, yes, happy to see Brawn at the head of FOTA. :up:

Valve Bounce
8th August 2008, 09:26
I'm not so sure. At end of the day Brawn is still in the competition, if this role involves final decision making powers, I don't think its a good idea.

You may be right!! Let's vote for Max!!

Azumanga Davo
8th August 2008, 14:43

Brawn comes across as a good honest guy, but undoubtably his loyalities are going to be with Honda, and I think think its all open to slight corruption.

If he merely acts as a guide, thats a different story, he obviously has a lot of talent, and would be an asset. Anything more than that, I think they should get an expert who isn't part of F1 competition.

I don't believe that to be the case at all for two reasons. One, whatever decision FOTA takes on the future would have to be ratified by a vote and wouldn't always go Honda/Brawn's way. Two, he would easily be the more respected technical chap on the grid at the moment and would certainly have some sensible suggestions put forward that would have more chance of progressing the sport.

PolePosition_1
8th August 2008, 14:54
I don't believe that to be the case at all for two reasons. One, whatever decision FOTA takes on the future would have to be ratified by a vote and wouldn't always go Honda/Brawn's way. Two, he would easily be the more respected technical chap on the grid at the moment and would certainly have some sensible suggestions put forward that would have more chance of progressing the sport.

But if he is techinical figurehead.

I doubt he would spend much time and resources on something which would benefit other teams, presumably he'd concentrate on something which is useful.

I'm not talking huge advantage or anything, but to eliminate even the smallest doubt, I think it'd be better to put in someone who is no longer involved in the sporting side of F1.

Azumanga Davo
9th August 2008, 11:33
But if he is techinical figurehead.

I doubt he would spend much time and resources on something which would benefit other teams, presumably he'd concentrate on something which is useful.

I'm not talking huge advantage or anything, but to eliminate even the smallest doubt, I think it'd be better to put in someone who is no longer involved in the sporting side of F1.

It's better to have someone who is currently active in Formula 1, because its very easy to fall out of the loop on new developments and the like.