PDA

View Full Version : TK to Ganassi?

fugariracing
7th August 2008, 05:14
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/exclusive-kanaan-poised-to-join-ganassi/

And let the dominoes begin to fall. IMO, TK would be better off there than the train wreck that is AGR at the moment.

garyshell
7th August 2008, 05:19
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/exclusive-kanaan-poised-to-join-ganassi/

And let the dominoes begin to fall. IMO, TK would be better off there than the train wreck that is AGR at the moment.

You heard it here first, I am (with my tongue only party in my cheek) predicting PT to AGR.

Gary

jackmart
7th August 2008, 05:38
Sad day, I really like TK I hope he doesn't leave. I have also been impressed with PT so I would be happy to see him join the team. I can't see him taking any crap from the Andretti nepotism.

gloomyDAY
7th August 2008, 05:48
Great! Kanaan needs to be in an environment where hard work and dedication are appreciated, not stifled.

Bye AGR. No crocodile tears please.

MAX_THRUST
7th August 2008, 08:02
I hope TK is going to Chips team, but I doubt PT would go to AGR simply because Mikey, he don't like Pt very much, and you know what, I don' t think PT likes Mikey very much either. AS much as AGR are gonna need someone with good set up experience if TK leaves, I don't think Pt would know enough about these cars yet, or does he?

garyshell
7th August 2008, 17:11
I hope TK is going to Chips team, but I doubt PT would go to AGR simply because Mikey, he don't like Pt very much, and you know what, I don' t think PT likes Mikey very much either. AS much as AGR are gonna need someone with good set up experience if TK leaves, I don't think Pt would know enough about these cars yet, or does he?

I was joking about PT and AGR, but to your point I don't think Paul needs that much experience with these cars. The teams already have a huge database of baseline data. With that I think Paul can come to grips with the car very quickly. Where he would be a BIG help is when the new car arrives. At that point all the data goes out the window and PT would be a REAL asset. His ability to setup a car is well known.

Gary

Mad_Hatter
7th August 2008, 17:13
PT going to AGR probably wouldn't help the mindset over at AGR. Mutoh is doing well, but Grumpy, Pops, and the Brat push the team downhill. Also, where does this scenario leave Matos?

ChicagocrewIRL
7th August 2008, 17:57
this is WHACK !!! Wheldon with no ride ?

Mr. "I'm bitter because Dario got my NASCAR seat" may have no ride next year.

That is funny to me.

ZzZzZz
8th August 2008, 03:23
I'm sure Wheldon would have a ride.

TK is one of the best drivers and has the personality, input/feedback skills and everything else a team and sponsor could want. I just want to see him in an environment where he isn't being held back. He deserves more respect!

mlj
8th August 2008, 05:15
This rumor is downgraded to 'false' today. According to this SPEEDTV.com article, Tony Kanaan decided to stay with AGR for one more year despite making a verbal agreement with Chip Ganassi to switch to his team. "I went to bed on Wednesday night thinking about my career options but when I woke up Thursday morning I was convinced I wanted to stay with my guys at AGR," said Kanaan on Thursday night. "I decided to stay with AGR and 7-Eleven and it's a good contract that should be my last one in Indy cars." Ganassi, who said he began negotiating with the 2004 IRL champion on Aug. 2, claims he was floored by the news.

"It's unbelievable," said Ganassi. "I talked to him (Kanaan) on Wednesday night and he said we were fine, we were great and we're a go. "Then I get a call from his agent who says Tony has flipped and he's staying with AGR. He said something about Tony not liking one of the clauses in the contract but I didn't change anything."

garyshell
8th August 2008, 05:33
What is TK thinking??? I think he would have been a lot happier at Ganassi.

Gary

icehammer97
8th August 2008, 06:01
How does Dan take this? It could be that he feels unwanted at TCG and won't resign. If that is true could this be the start of PT to TCG? I hope so!

Lemmy-Boy
8th August 2008, 06:48
The rumor mill can come to a close. TK is staying with AGR. SPEED TV is reporting that he signed a 5 year extension.

Source: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-kanaan-snubs-ganassi-signs-1yr-agr-extension/

Osiris333
8th August 2008, 07:12
PT is better off trying to put a deal together with Walker. Andretti has never gotten over the fact that Tracy outran him when they were teammates at Newman\Haas in '95, and Gannassi is not going to let PT come in and blow Dixon away, which is exactly what would happen. At least Walker will give him the best equipment he can get his hands on. Chip is all about agendas and playing favorites.

Wheldon? He's just a middle of the pack talent that's taken up a good seat for way too long already. Almendinger or Scott Speed would look awfully good in Target red.

seppefan
8th August 2008, 08:31
PT is better off trying to put a deal together with Walker. Andretti has never gotten over the fact that Tracy outran him when they were teammates at Newman\Haas in '95, and Gannassi is not going to let PT come in and blow Dixon away, which is exactly what would happen. At least Walker will give him the best equipment he can get his hands on. Chip is all about agendas and playing favorites.

Wheldon? He's just a middle of the pack talent that's taken up a good seat for way too long already. Almendinger or Scott Speed would look awfully good in Target red.

I get the feeling that the top two, Gannassi and Penske are a little like F1 in that they try to reduce risks by taking proven drivers. Love the idea of AJ or Scott. Not sure how I would feel drafting Scott at 200mph but I wont be ! TK has made a big error staying with Mikey.

icehammer97
8th August 2008, 10:10

PT has proven that he doesn't need the best car to be good it is not like if he is winning in a number 2 car Chip will tell him to let Dixion win (like PT would listen anyway). As for him being better off with Walker. He is what I am thinking. He could either be the number two guy on a team that is 1st and 3rd right now or he could hope a team that has run one race (with help from another team) can get a deal together for next season. I have a hard time thinking hoping Walker can get the ride is better then taking an established ride with a top team. Remember Walker tried getting a car for PT at Indy this year and couldn't get that either.

MAX_THRUST
8th August 2008, 15:17
Interesting points about TCG having favourites. Clearly then Dixon must be this years favourite.

Chip has taken some gambles in the past with drivers, like Juan, who was great, Zanardi, who also was great. Minassian oopps that didn't work, but Junky was ok. Bruno did race with Chip didn't he or has my memory gone to the out house?

Where is Dan going next year or is Chip looking to drop his wages this year?

Osiris333
8th August 2008, 15:40
Wheldon's got to be out, don't you think? He's getting regularly blown away by Dixon, who frankly isn't even that good. Chip will find somebody else.

Tracy? I can't see that relationship working.
Seabass? Maybe, if he loses his job a STR.
And again, let's AJA and Scott Speed back in open wheel where they belong.

SarahFan
8th August 2008, 15:43
Wheldon's got to be out, don't you think? He's getting regularly blown away by Dixon, who frankly isn't even that good. .

if the current points leader and I500 winner isn't that good....what does that say about the rest of the field?

champcarray
8th August 2008, 17:31
So is anyone else surprised that he stayed with AGR?

From the ICS web site:

Kanaan, 33, has re-signed with the team for five years - for an undisclosed amount, of course - essentially providing an exit strategy and financial foundation for his family's future.

"This is what I wanted it to be," said Kanaan, who has 13 IndyCar Series victories and won the 2004 championship - AGR's first of three. "I've been here for six years and it will be another five so hopefully I'll be able to have a nice retirement party by the time I finish my contract. I'm happy that I know where I am going to be."

garyshell
8th August 2008, 18:17
Last night when I first saw the report it was a one year extension. I wake up to see a five year deal. Man they must have thrown so big $$$$$ in Tony's direction to get him to stay an babysit.

What the hell is TK thinking???

Gary

SarahFan
9th August 2008, 04:10
Wheldon's got to be out, don't you think? He's getting regularly blown away by Dixon, who frankly isn't even that good. Chip will find somebody else.

Tracy? I can't see that relationship working.
Seabass? Maybe, if he loses his job a STR.
And again, let's AJA and Scott Speed back in open wheel where they belong.

Dixon isn't even that good ......just fluke he has another pole today

Dr. Krogshöj
9th August 2008, 13:15
For me, it is dissapointing news. I was hoping TK would move to Ganassi. Nevertheless, I wish much success for TK and finally an Indy title.

My advice to TK: if your teammates don't treat you as a teammate, do the same with them. Never let them pass even if their strategy is different, don't share you setups, don't be shy to attack them on the last corner. And please, beat the hell out of them.

Mad_Hatter
9th August 2008, 20:16
The more that I think about this, the more I begin to think honda may have had more than usual to do with this. AGR is still the only factor honda team in the ICS and in 2011 factory bucks should be back into competition. Honda, I doubt, would want their factory team with little useful feedback, so they made a bit of an effort($$$) to keep Kanaan there instead of TCGR who has been traditionally Toyota backed.

SarahFan
10th August 2008, 04:54
The more that I think about this, the more I begin to think honda may have had more than usual to do with this. AGR is still the only factor honda team in the ICS and in 2011 factory bucks should be back into competition. Honda, I doubt, would want their factory team with little useful feedback, so they made a bit of an effort($$$) to keep Kanaan there instead of TCGR who has been traditionally Toyota backed.

interesting thought

underpowered
10th August 2008, 07:30
Wheldon's got to be out, don't you think? He's getting regularly blown away by Dixon, who frankly isn't even that good.

Dude... Are you watching the same series as I am. Have some respect for Dixon.

underpowered
10th August 2008, 07:34
"I've been here for six years and it will be another five so hopefully I'll be able to have a nice retirement party by the time I finish my contract. I'm happy that I know where I am going to be."

He doesnt sound very hungry. Maybe Chip is lucky he didnt sign....

Jag_Warrior
10th August 2008, 14:15

Good points. Yeah, I can see why Honda would want him to stay with AGR. My question is, why would he want to stay in that Daycare Center of a team? But there was some mention of a clause in the TCGR contract that Kanaan didn't like. But as you suggest, maybe it was the payment clause. :D

Ol' Chipster certainly seemed to be taken off guard by Kanaan's move. Didn't see that one coming, did he?

Mr Jinxx
13th August 2008, 17:38
Alex Lloyd is probably behind all this.
He gets TK to talk to Chip, to get ready to do a deal, then use this as leverage to get AGR to up their offer.
In the meantime, Dan gets deeply demoralised that Chip would have signed TK immediately, whilst Dan is still not signed up, so Dan goes to RLR or Vision, where he would lift either team and be appreciated.
Thus freeing up the #10 car for Alex Lloyd.

nigelred5
13th August 2008, 20:17
The astrounauts didn't land on the moon either did they? ;)

I suspect it was simply frustration with the prince and princess of AGR that had him looking and Honda Yen and familiarity kept him where he wanted to be in the first place.