PDA

View Full Version : Only 2,000 tickets left for Kentucky race

ChicagocrewIRL
6th August 2008, 22:00
http://www.kentuckyspeedway.com/newsline/news.asp?sid=724

Looks like great attendance is expected for the weekend in Sparta. The main grandstands hold 66K + so it's great news that only 2,000 tickets remain to be sold from now through saturday.

The previous record crowd at KY Speedway was 62,000 +. This coming weekend's crowd should shatter that mark.

Good job Kentucky Speedway on promoting and marketing your event. You're a great example to the events that don't put effort into promoting their events. Show people what IndyCar is all about and they will come.

Sad to say I won't be there this weekend but plans are in the works for 2009. Huge crowds lend major gravity to keeping this event.

MDS
6th August 2008, 22:26
It's a good sign, but it doesn't really mean there are only 2,000 empty seats, only that there are 2,000 empty seats for the public through the speedway.

It could mean that more sponsors purchased blocks of tickets who may or may not show up. They could wholesaled more tickets to brokers. They could have given away more freebies. It's good, but its to early to expect record-breaking crowds. I remember one race where a sponsor bought out an entire section and 12 people ended up in it race day. Sure, the track made some money off the deal, but it looked horrible.

Here's hoping for the best.

speeddurango
7th August 2008, 02:13
Great then, evidence is still looking better all the time, really hope this upward swing would continue given the recent disppointing announcements.

-Helix-
7th August 2008, 04:56
Should be a sellout then, since the walkups should easily take care of those 2k or whatever is left.

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot were freebies though considering it's an SMI track. They might be trying to get more IRL dates at their tracks by showing how well they can promote the races.

Whatever the case, it's still great news. Hopefully the stands look packed on TV.

Gluaistean
10th August 2008, 15:19
sure was not a big crowd. I bet it was two thirds full. Angles shown were deceptive until they showed the crown head on. Many open spaces.

SarahFan
10th August 2008, 15:21
Should be a sellout then, . Hopefully the stands look packed on TV.

it wasn't....they didn't

ChicagocrewIRL
10th August 2008, 21:25
It was a sellout, not everyone showed up.

ykiki
11th August 2008, 05:20
It was a sellout, not everyone showed up.

Not sure which is worse - selling only 2/3 of the tickets or selling all of the tickets and having 1/3 of the folks feel that attending is not worth the money they spent on tix.

My hope? Sponsors had blocks of tickets and simply didn't distribute them all.