PDA

View Full Version : Renault suspicious over Ferrari refuelling rig

Viktory
6th August 2008, 15:18
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080806064737.shtml

Will be interesting to see what happens. I was also surprised at how Kimi got out ahead of Alonso. Maybe Kimi was able to save fuel while behind Alonso since the lap times were so much slower than he could have done.

ioan
6th August 2008, 15:51
I've just read the same story here:
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=35637

To be honest I didn't understand either how they did it, but I was happy that Kimi managed to get in front of Fernando.

MAX_THRUST
6th August 2008, 15:52
Clearly Fernado is not interested in a Ferrari drive after all, otherwise he would have kept his mouth shut.....

ArrowsFA1
6th August 2008, 16:04
I'm guessing, as Viktory said, Kimi was able to save fuel while behind Alonso.

6th August 2008, 16:22
Given that Kimi could go a lot faster with a clear track, then it would appear that he went a lot faster due to a clear track.

That said, if ever there was a GP where the refuelling rigs should be tested, then Hungary was it.

555-04Q2
6th August 2008, 16:29
Hmmmmm...Ferrari and possible irregularities...heard this somewhere before.

PolePosition_1
6th August 2008, 17:00
F1Live website says it was 2 laps, and pitpass says it was 1 lap.

Which one is correct? I thought it was 1 lap tbh, but trust F1Live more.

However to the topic, yeah I honestly couldn't believe it, for Kimi to go so wide, I looked at the time with my live timing up ( I'm a geek I watch F1 with the TV and live timing lol), and noticed he lost something like 0.8s with the error at turn 2, yet still managed to come out infront, and by a comfortable margin.

I'm not saying Ferrari are cheating, but it would be incredibly interesting to see how they managed it! Because fair play to them it worked amazingly!

Roamy
6th August 2008, 17:04
figuring that you can't pass at this track they could have fueled him heavy on his first stop thus allowing a few options for the second stop. I as sure all the stops are on video.

ioan
6th August 2008, 19:18
F1Live website says it was 2 laps, and pitpass says it was 1 lap.

Which one is correct? I thought it was 1 lap tbh, but trust F1Live more.

According to the FIA chart:

http://www.fia.com/Hungarygp/documents/HUN_08_Race_Lap_Chart.pdf

they pitted in consecutive laps (50 and 51).

Mikeall
7th August 2008, 00:16
Raikkonen's first stop did seem to be quicker but maybe Shell is less dense than Elf, or the Ferrari engine is more efficient than the Renault, or Raikkonen simply used a more efficient engine mapping.

Hawkmoon
7th August 2008, 00:45
If Ferrari were doing something to quick fill the car why didn't they do it at the first stop? If memory serves Raikkonen and Alonso pitted on the same lap for the first stop so Ferrari should have used this "quick fill" system to get the Finn ahead of the Spaniard so that he wouldn't have spent the next stint looking at the Renault's gearbox.

janneppi
7th August 2008, 07:40
Is there a pit time chart in the FIA pages? Räikkönen was missing for some reason from the formula1.com charts, comparing Massa to Alonso, they seemed to spend about the same time on the pits.

leopard
7th August 2008, 09:22
I think Kimi was doing the right thing to drive safely to save more fuel while was behind Alonso, as all of his effort to overtake the spaniard failed, although it was obvious he drove a faster car.

PolePosition_1
7th August 2008, 09:37
I think likelyhood is Kimi was saving quite a bit of fuel, he wasn't all over Alonso, you got impression he was just waiting for Alonso to stop.

But at same time, he made a mistake on his in-lap costing approx 0.8s, surely if he had been saving fuel, he'd have kept on going? Not pit the lap right after with risk of not getting infront of Alonso.

I dunno, its just confusing how they done it.

CNR
7th August 2008, 09:48
there is a lot of bs you could say but i am sure all refuelling rigs will be checked after the fires in the pit stops

maybe it is just a case of Kimi starting the race with more fuel and not wasting it stuck behind a slow Renault.

Shai-Hulud
7th August 2008, 10:20
Is there a pit time chart in the FIA pages? Räikkönen was missing for some reason from the formula1.com charts, comparing Massa to Alonso, they seemed to spend about the same time on the pits.

During the coverage of the race on Dutch tv it had been mentioned multiple times that keeping track of Kimi was rather difficult due to transponder failure. This might explain why he's missing and would make it really difficult to analyse the exact differences between him and Alonso.

Knock-on
7th August 2008, 10:55
figuring that you can't pass at this track they could have fueled him heavy on his first stop thus allowing a few options for the second stop. I as sure all the stops are on video.

I'd guess this is the case.

Can't believe Ferrari would use illegal rigs and there is no proof of the such.

Easiest explanation is usually the most obvious one.

Rover V8
7th August 2008, 20:23
During the coverage of the race on Dutch tv it had been mentioned multiple times that keeping track of Kimi was rather difficult due to transponder failure. This might explain why he's missing and would make it really difficult to analyse the exact differences between him and Alonso.

I'm sure ITV mentioned the possibility of a transponder failure as well- there was definitely a mention of Kimi having disappeared from the timing screen

Knock-on
8th August 2008, 10:49
I'm sure ITV mentioned the possibility of a transponder failure as well- there was definitely a mention of Kimi having disappeared from the timing screen

Have Ferrari invented time travel?

Is Kimi the new Dr Who?

Tune in for the next thrilling installment of Formula Time Warp!"

(Everybody ready?

"It's a Jump to the left..
and then a step to the riiiiiiiiight..
With your hands on your Hips..."

Azumanga Davo
8th August 2008, 15:48

I think the faulty transponder would have been responsible for false readings, therefore I would believe this to be a non-story.