PDA

View Full Version : Albinos

Drew
5th August 2008, 22:54
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7527729.stm

Tanzania albinos targeted again

Tanzanian police say another albino man has been murdered - the 26th victim in the country in under a year.

I just read this and was quite surprised. The 26th murder of an albino in Tanzania. Now that surprises me, because I have never actually seen an albino in real life, the only albino I remember seeing is the guy on Big Brother. Are there many albinos about or am I just being somewhat ignorant?

leopard
6th August 2008, 04:01
This story reminds me of the same superstitious way long time ago when the mortality of pregnant woman was high. This remains an old story for me as it happened before I was born.

The graves of pregnant woman with baby inside have the extra safeguard for 7 days as it can invite theft to take the thumb of the baby out. They believe that it can make them invisible when stealing.

99% Working hard might be more a sense to make people wealthy. We shouldn't forget that 1% of luckiness is also a determining factor :)

GridGirl
6th August 2008, 07:49
I went to school with two Albino siblings. The lad it was so obvious but the girl had the most amazing hair. She was and still is stunning. :) Neither of their parents were Albinos although I guess it must be genetic in some way.

leopard
6th August 2008, 07:59
Something that touching is that they usually suffer from being under the sun. ;)

Storm
6th August 2008, 08:00
Drew, 0you probably don't notice them as so many guys are that pale anyways up there :p :

Here there isn't a huge amount although I do see albinos often and ofcourse they stick out like a sore thumb..a sister of one my mates from school had that condition and I do see a guy at my workplace or gym too..I forgot where..

leopard
6th August 2008, 08:58
Gym, do they have enough strength for it? :)

ShiftingGears
6th August 2008, 09:34
Are there many albinos about or am I just being somewhat ignorant?

It's a recessive condition so they are quite uncommon. It would be more likely if its an inbred population, however.

...which makes 26 attacks even more uncommon.

Hazell B
6th August 2008, 20:42
It's a recessive condition so they are quite uncommon.

Seen as a fault in humans, yet bred for in some animals - just shows how warped some animal breeders are.

There was an older sister and two young (twin I think) brother albinos who lived near me when I was a kid. Their eldest sister was in my year at school, and just a normal fair haired, blue eyed person.
The youngsters all went to another school as they'd been picked on in infant school. They also had to stay in, so we never really saw them much.

JasonD
6th August 2008, 21:24
Gym, do they have enough strength for it? :)

What does having albinism have to do with strength?

JasonD
6th August 2008, 21:28
Something that touching is that they usually suffer from being under the sun. ;)

Yes complete lack of (or close anyways) pigment is a real pain. Severe burns, blisters and skin cancer are all real concerns.