PDA

View Full Version : The future of Alonso

ShiftingGears
4th August 2008, 11:35
Set to be decided in the summer break...which is starting now. So, where do you think he will end up?

Lets get the ball rolling. Firstly, it is rumoured that he will end up in Honda before he ends up in Ferrari.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/04/formulaone.motorsports

Storm
4th August 2008, 12:07
I doubt he will go to Honda unless he knows for sure that he has a seat at Ferrari for 2010.

Renault seem to be slowly improving over the season but may be not fast enough for him to stay.

BMW is another option but then he has to make a long-term commitment to it as its on the verge of breaking into the "winning" car category but a driver of his calibre and some more technology improvements are needed.

PolePosition_1
4th August 2008, 12:13
Set to be decided in the summer break...which is starting now. So, where do you think he will end up?

Lets get the ball rolling. Firstly, it is rumoured that he will end up in Honda before he ends up in Ferrari.

I aint got a clue. I wouldn't be THAT suprised to see him at Ferrari next season. I just got a sense Kimi isn't that happy, so wouldn't be too suprised to see him quit the sport or move teams. But things change so quickly in F1 I can't guess anything.

Personally I think he'll stay with Renault, he knows the team, he's happy, they respect him very highly. And I think he's gaining respect at Renault from the paddock and F1 fans in general. His performances this season considering car he is driving have been pretty awesome. So don't think he is losing much stock while being at Renault in the midfield.

I personally don't trust Honda to succeed, they've had and got all the resources, and just never seem to be able to do anything with it.

Knock-on
4th August 2008, 12:16
I couldn't see why Ferrari would want him but I can now.

If Kimi goes, there is a good chance he will go there but Massa wont like it as we know what will happen and Massa is slowly maturing into a Championship contender. I still think he is too erratic at the moment to win the Championship but he doesn't deserve to be a #2.

Dave B
4th August 2008, 12:32
I still think it'll be Kubica who ends up at Ferrari, although probably not until 2010. The "Alonso to Honda" rumour has credibility IF they will offer him a one-year deal; but I'd be surprised as Brawn is trying to turn them into regular race-winners and they need a driver who is willing to make a committment, not to constantly be looking enviously towards the red cars.

52Paddy
4th August 2008, 12:54
Honda (and their former BAR) have yet to convince me that they can take the title, constructors or drivers. They always seem optimistic, and they have had very experienced staff over the years such as Craig Pollock, David Richards and currently Fry and Brawn. Yet, something is always lacking and at the moment, they seem to be in the bottom three or so teams. Barrichello may be well past his prime, and Button is arguably in the same position. I'd be afraid that, if the Honda package was not driver orientated, it could be a big mistake from Alonso.

Having said that, Alonso could be exactly what Honda need. It would be great for Alonso's already solid reputation if he could perform in what seems an inferior car (the Renault could be arguably considered not quite superior this year anyway!)

Long term, I don't see him staying with Honda. He's a Renault type guy and if they can produce a car similar to what gave him his two world titles then I don't see why he wouldn't stay. Failing that, I doubt he will go to McLaren because of Hamilton and Ron Dennis. Ferrari seems possible but it would be to replace Kimi rather than Massa, I reckon. Then, as someone mentioned, there is the difficult question of who is #1 and #2.

Ultimately, its all quite misty.

truefan72
4th August 2008, 20:22
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/04082008/58/alonso-set-7-6m-honda-switch.html

wow, I am stunned, not the move I expected, Should hae stayed at Renault for another year, perhaps improve on the results and then decided what to do for 2010.

This move does start the domino effect in teams.

Renault and torro rosso have a seat open. I do suspect that another team will be back in F1 2009. BMW possibly will have a seat open, so will force india.

Interesting times.

Mark
4th August 2008, 20:46
Crazy move for him :s

VkmSpouge
4th August 2008, 20:51
Why would Alonso want to go even further down the grid?

Powered by Cosworth
4th August 2008, 21:28

My guess is Honda have put a bloody lot of development into 2009 car which they have shown him, that and the money.

JSH
4th August 2008, 21:37
Ross Brawn's pretty good at picking talent. He's really good at knowing whats needed.

Alonso's smart enough to know that maybe.... just maybe... teaming with Ross Brawn and Honda could be a very good move. A 2x WDC has that luxury.

grantb4
4th August 2008, 23:58

He must be on the Villeneuve program...

speeddurango
5th August 2008, 00:26
If that's money, it's possible, but if Mr Alonso ever wants to win the world championship he should just stick to one team. Really, wasting your time switching teams especially those slower teams isn't the best strategy for a relatively good F1 driver.

ShiftingGears
5th August 2008, 00:28
I would be considerably more skeptical if the 2009 cars weren't going to be radically different from the 2008 cars, and if Ross Brawn was not at Honda.

Kevincal
5th August 2008, 01:22
Honda?! ...ugh... Another year down the drain for Alonso then. It's a real pity things didn't work out at McLaren... Alonso should be with a top team. He's arguably the best driver out there for crying out loud... He's surely better than Massa, Heidfeld, Kubica or Kovalainen... Not to say these drivers are far behind Alonso, it's just that Alonso deserves a top car. I think he should probably just stay with Renault and work things out. The Renault is not a terrible car, it just needs some refining and it could be battling for podiums again this year (Piquet's fluke doesn't count...) and maybe wins next year. Either that or move over to BMW and take Heidfeld's seat. Heidfeld is very consistent, but he doesn't seem to care much about winning...

I also think Alonso would do a better job at Ferrari than Massa. Massa is so inconsistent. Too much so for being at Ferrari imo. Very unlucky in Hungary though obviously. Then there's Toyota. Sure Glock showed a flash of brilliance this past race, but overall he's nothing special. Toyota seem to be improving rather rapidly now. Alonso would fit good there with his former teammate Trulli... So if you ask me, Alonso should stay with Renault or go to Ferrari, BMW or Toyota... Honda is going to need a couple of years just to get back to battling for podiums again... Let alone wins. I also find it unbelievable that Raikkonen would retire any time soon...

AJP
5th August 2008, 01:28
He must be on the Villeneuve program...

good one.. ;)

AJP
5th August 2008, 01:29
Ross Brawn obviously has a lot to do with this decision if it is to come true...
What have Honda got in stall for next year then....?
Are they finally going to reach the top of the podium with Alonso...?
I doubt it...but would love to see otherwise.

CNR
5th August 2008, 02:48
I think that he will damage his credibility if he keeps jumping teams
what will happen if he gets to Ferrari in 2010 or 2011 and they have a year like 2005

truefan72
5th August 2008, 03:00
Honda?! ...ugh... Another year down the drain for Alonso then. It's a real pity things didn't work out at McLaren... Alonso should be with a top team. He's arguably the best driver out there for crying out loud... He's surely better than Massa, Heidfeld, Kubica or Kovalainen... Not to say these drivers are far behind Alonso, it's just that Alonso deserves a top car. I think he should probably just stay with Renault and work things out. The Renault is not a terrible car, it just needs some refining and it could be battling for podiums again this year (Piquet's fluke doesn't count...) and maybe wins next year. Either that or move over to BMW and take Heidfeld's seat. Heidfeld is very consistent, but he doesn't seem to care much about winning...

I also think Alonso would do a better job at Ferrari than Massa. Massa is so inconsistent. Too much so for being at Ferrari imo. Very unlucky in Hungary though obviously. Then there's Toyota. Sure Glock showed a flash of brilliance this past race, but overall he's nothing special. Toyota seem to be improving rather rapidly now. Alonso would fit good there with his former teammate Trulli... So if you ask me, Alonso should stay with Renault or go to Ferrari, BMW or Toyota... Honda is going to need a couple of years just to get back to battling for podiums again... Let alone wins. I also find it unbelievable that Raikkonen would retire any time soon...

If massa and Raikkonen can co-exist, if Heidfeld and Kubica can coexist, why could Alonso not see the immense benefit of being in one of the top 2 cars on the field. At the end of the day it is entirely his own doing that he isn't driving a Maclaren. Right now he would have been battling Kimi, Lewis and Massa, and Kubica for the WDC.

I wonder how his relationship is right now with NPJr. And I serously wonder How he would coexist with Button, given the projected improvements for Honda, there should be little in the way of performance between the two of them.

pits4me
5th August 2008, 03:35
His antics at McLaren made it clear he is very self-centered and doesn't make the team he's driving for a priority. I couldn't see him yielding to Massa if he were in the red pony this year.

Storm
5th August 2008, 07:18
This looks like a bad move.
I do not want to see his career going down from a high of 2 WDCs but sadly thats what its looking like..atleast he can be proud of what he has achieved till now...but I hope and feel that he is still hungry for more success (unlike Kimi?) especially after the McLaren year and his driving this year has been from great to desperate.

Unless this is 1 year thing, or Honda do manage to atleast be in the top 3/4 next year and moving up....

ioan
5th August 2008, 07:55
If that's money, it's possible, but if Mr Alonso ever wants to win the world championship he should just stick to one team. Really, wasting your time switching teams especially those slower teams isn't the best strategy for a relatively good F1 driver.

He has already won the World Championship, twice!

ioan
5th August 2008, 07:57
Interesting move!
He's clearly got the courage to take up a challenge, something many drivers wouldn't do.
Let's hope Honda will be doing well next season.

ioan
5th August 2008, 08:01
If massa and Raikkonen can co-exist, if Heidfeld and Kubica can coexist, why could Alonso not see the immense benefit of being in one of the top 2 cars on the field. At the end of the day it is entirely his own doing that he isn't driving a Maclaren. Right now he would have been battling Kimi, Lewis and Massa, and Kubica for the WDC.

Maybe he didn't want to be in Kovi's shoes, i.e. a second hand, rebuilt, not 100% McLaren driver who has to support "the best thing since slice bread"?!

And I serously wonder How he would coexist with Button, given the projected improvements for Honda, there should be little in the way of performance between the two of them.

Button, who?!

ArrowsFA1
5th August 2008, 08:07
Crazy move for him :s
More so for Honda IMHO. Why risk paying out a great deal of money for someone who (according to many reports) is on his way to Ferrari in 2010?

truefan72
5th August 2008, 08:31
Maybe he didn't want to be in Kovi's shoes,

you mean winning races, and podiums,
you mean pole positions and driving in the top 2 cars on the grid

I suppose he wouldn't want that, would he.

The best thing he could have done would have been to beg for forgiveness, find a way to be less self-centered then gone out and won races in the Mac's.

I would bet you, given the circumstances Kovaleinen has been in, he would have won one or two of those races. I think Alonso is that good of a driver.
But he chose another route and is options a are slowly tightening.

There are no guarantee's that Ferrari will sign him on 2010.A lot can happen between now and then

ArrowsFA1
5th August 2008, 08:40
There are no guarantee's that Ferrari will sign him on 2010.A lot can happen between now and then
True. Alonso may be better committing to Renault long term and contributing his infamous 0.6s to making them into winners again.

He's a great driver whose hope of getting into a race winning car otherwise are limited.

ShiftingGears
5th August 2008, 08:44
you mean winning races, and podiums,
you mean pole positions and driving in the top 2 cars on the grid

I suppose he wouldn't want that, would he.

Obviously not, considering 2007.

PolePosition_1
5th August 2008, 08:51
[quote="Kevincal"]

In Massa's defense he has been the most consistant of all drivers in the past 9 races. More so than Lewis, Kimi and Robert.

I think maybe your judging him on his past seasons and not this season...

MAX_THRUST
5th August 2008, 08:59
I agree with true fan 72>>>>

I think Alonso was foolish to try to force the teams hand last year, and arrogant to think Lewis would be anything other than the golden boy, especially when he performed well.

Is Kimi's poor performance this part of the season due to the fact he wants to go or he knows Alonso is coming and just doesn't care anymore???

If I was a team manager with a quick car I know I can put any driver from the grid in the car and they will perform. Just becasue drivers are in slow cars doesn't mean they are not pushing harder than the front runners.

Everything is relative to the machinery.....

So according to Iaon it will be Alonso who!!! (just like Button) if he stays at Renault much longer. He'd been better staying with Macs this year and getting a few wins when Lewis didn't.

PolePosition_1
5th August 2008, 09:02

I wonder how his relationship is right now with NPJr. And I serously wonder How he would coexist with Button, given the projected improvements for Honda, there should be little in the way of performance between the two of them.

To be fair, I think your being slightly niave here. If your relationship with your boss has completely broken down, the man who has the ultimate say in your overall environment, it must make it near impossible to work. And what is the point in winning if your not happy and comfortable?

As an Alonso fan I have mixed feeling as to whether its entirely his doing or not. You can't help but feel McLaren weren't expecting Hamilton to do as well as he did, and therefore they felt comfortable in making assumptions about the roles of Alonso and Hamilton, and assuring Alonso of these.

Obviously, when this was not the case, Alonso felt cheated....in some regards understandably. That said he should have just taken it on the chin really. But to lie the blame 100% on Alonso's foot isn't really reasonable in my opinion.

I think his relationship with Piquet is good. I don't get the impression Alonso gets that close to his team-mates (maybe an exception for Trulli), but he has spoken publicly in support for Piquet in the past.

Also - are you honestly saying that Button and Alonso are similarly matched on pace?

PolePosition_1
5th August 2008, 09:17
This looks like a bad move.
I do not want to see his career going down from a high of 2 WDCs but sadly thats what its looking like..atleast he can be proud of what he has achieved till now...but I hope and feel that he is still hungry for more success (unlike Kimi?) especially after the McLaren year and his driving this year has been from great to desperate.

Unless this is 1 year thing, or Honda do manage to atleast be in the top 3/4 next year and moving up....

Huh? His driving has been desperate this year?

What season have you been watching?

gm99
5th August 2008, 09:22
I think his relationship with Piquet is good. I don't get the impression Alonso gets that close to his team-mates (maybe an exception for Trulli), but he has spoken publicly in support for Piquet in the past.

I think Fisichella is quoted in the current F1 Racing that he got on very well with Alonso and that they're still mates. It looks to me like there was only one team-mate who he really wasn't close to...

As to the rumored Honda move, I think it would only make sense (for both parties!) if it was a long term project, not another stopgap on Alonso's "long walk towards Maranello". I really think that if Alonso were totally comitted to transform Honda into a winning team, he together with Ross Brawn could achieve that, but it surely would take a 2 or 3 years before they could even think of running for the championship.

Mark
5th August 2008, 09:24
So do you think Renault would only offer him a muti-year contract and Honda were the only ones prepared to offer him a 1 year deal?

PolePosition_1
5th August 2008, 09:49
So do you think Renault would only offer him a muti-year contract and Honda were the only ones prepared to offer him a 1 year deal?

Dunno, I think we should wait for comfirmation before we take that link for true.

I can't understand Alonso going to Honda for just one year, they're not going to be winning titles next year, midfield max, same as Renault, as he may as well stay with Renault for another year.

Unless as you say Renault aren't willing to give him a 1 year contract. Then it may be his only reasonable offer, however I'd be suprised if Renault weren't willing to give him a 1 year contract.

ArrowsFA1
5th August 2008, 10:03
So do you think Renault would only offer him a muti-year contract...
Doesn't he currently have a multi-year deal with Renault :confused:

leopard
5th August 2008, 10:27
Probably, Flavio would always provide a seat for Alonso wherever and whenever he is lost. He can take one of Renault drivers out in the end of a season once Alonso felt Honda is not at home and said willingness to drive back the Renault.

ioan
5th August 2008, 10:29
Doesn't he currently have a multi-year deal with Renault :confused:

Yep, with a performance clause that allows him to quit the team at this season's end.

Mark
5th August 2008, 10:38
And go to a team which is performing substantially worse than his current team. I can understand him going to, say, BMW. But Honda?

The only reason I can see him doing that is either he's absolutely certain that Honda are going to be world class next year, or he's absolutely certain that he's driving for Ferrari in 2010.

Or that he's decided his career is over and is taking the money, but I don't think that's his style.

leopard
5th August 2008, 10:44
Such clause is obviously a beneficial for Alonso, it wouldn't seem easy to find place that allow someone go whereas within in the running period of the contract, once they can not supply something meet with standard required.

Storm
5th August 2008, 10:55
Huh? His driving has been desperate this year?

What season have you been watching?

I said it has been from great at times to desperate at times....
Or did you not watch a few races this season where he has thrown it away by mistakes and gone backwards after qualifying decently - Germany recently?

Storm
5th August 2008, 10:58
..The only reason I can see him doing that is either he's absolutely certain that Honda are going to be world class next year, or he's absolutely certain that he's driving for Ferrari in 2010.

It has to be one of the 2 things above...otherwise it doesn't make any sense

jas123f1
5th August 2008, 11:27

It's difficult to believe that Alonso goes to Honda, why would he do it? for the challenge? I don’t think so, for the money? I don’t believe that either..

But Ferrari is an interesting team for every driver, also for Alonso I think.
The question is more if Ferrari is interested of him and I’m not that sure that they are. Kimi has contracted to end of 2009 and Felipe to end of 2010 - so Alonso's possibilities to get a Ferrari seat is there earliest 2010 and it’s a long time till that and much can happen before we are there. So if Alonso doesn’t get a FERRARI contract almost immediately (which is hard to think) he loses a bit of his position to make a good deal ...

Therefore I think BMW Sauber has been an serious alternative for him, the team is going forward and I have a feeling that Marío Theissen would like to replace one of his drivers with Alonso. Therefore I think BMW is as good and realistic alternative as well as Renault, but as both teams want to have at least 2 years contract (I think) and that’s not so good for Alonso’s Ferrari dreams – if he are thinking to replace Kimi – if Kimi possible ends his career in the end of 2009.

So my tip is (if Alonso leaves Renault) that he goes to BMW Sauber for 2009 and 2010 .. and perhaps but only perhaps Ferrari 2011.. :)

MAX_THRUST
5th August 2008, 12:25
Performance clause may only be for this the first year with Renault, after that it maybe different.

ROSS BRAWN, that's why most people want to goto Honda. After Rubens great result down to clever/sensible stratergy, why not. Your not going to win a championship, but next year is a whole new ball game with possibly alot of mechanical breakdowns., who knows where any of the teams will be next year?

ioan
5th August 2008, 13:40
And go to a team which is performing substantially worse than his current team. I can understand him going to, say, BMW. But Honda?

The only reason I can see him doing that is either he's absolutely certain that Honda are going to be world class next year, or he's absolutely certain that he's driving for Ferrari in 2010.

Or that he's decided his career is over and is taking the money, but I don't think that's his style.

He went to McLaren after they had their worst season in 2006.

ioan
5th August 2008, 13:43
Performance clause may only be for this the first year with Renault, after that it maybe different.

yep, after that his contract with Renault ends! :D

Garry Walker
5th August 2008, 14:07

But contract was signed in 2005, when McLaren had the fastest car of the year.

Mark
5th August 2008, 14:27

McLaren had won world championships only a few years before. What has Honda ever done?

And 2006 is far from McLaren's worst year.

ioan
5th August 2008, 14:29
McLaren had won world championships only a few years before. What has Honda ever done?

And 2006 is far from McLaren's worst year.

Well, their last championship win was 1999, and in 2006 they didn't manage to win any single race, something that didn't happen to them since 1996, I think.

ioan
5th August 2008, 14:31
But contract was signed in 2005, when McLaren had the fastest car of the year.

That's right. Or maybe the Renault was faster?

52Paddy
5th August 2008, 22:05
ROSS BRAWN, that's why most people want to goto Honda.

I reckon so too. Ross Brawn is a very solid man to have as team principal. In my opinion, regardless of how bad next year's Honda may be, the Alonso-Brawn combination will squeez every last millisecond out of it. While I still believe he could have made a wiser move, I don't think this will nessesarily have a bad impact on Alonso's career. He's already won 2 drivers titles, everyone knows he's fast. He's had to contend with different scenarios since his last title in 2006. The move to McLaren didn't go down well and the move back to Renault didn't go really put him back in the winners' circle. If he can deliver the most out of next years Honda, then I think his reputation is still safe, regardless of what actual results he gets. And I think he's doing that at Renault at the moment.

next year is a whole new ball game with possibly alot of mechanical breakdowns., who knows where any of the teams will be next year?

And a whole new bunch of rules to contend with. Adding to the infinite amount of factors which make a driver a winner, is how they will adapt to new dilemmas like slick tyres next year. Ultimately, MAX_THRUST, we don't know where anyone will be next year. No harm in speculating though. :)

veeten
5th August 2008, 22:40
Personally, I can give 2 reasons why this move to Honda...

#1 - Lewis Hamilton

#2 - Nelson Piqet, Jr.

Having to deal with one rising star was enough, now it looks like Piqet is showing the same signs of improvement. This is something Alonso was not looking to repeat. Honda may be the safe bet, as Barrichello isn't going to be much of an impediment, and there's no young charging lions looking to move through Honda just yet.

A safe bet, indeed...

jens
6th August 2008, 11:30
I have to admit that I would be slightly surprised if Alonso moves to Honda, but surprising moves have happened in the past. Why would he take Honda over Renault? Renault seems better (at least at the moment) and more like a home to him. Maybe he knows something we don't? Maybe in KERS department Renault is struggling to keep up with the rivals and he hunches there is not much to expect from 2009 either?

Ross Brawn or not. I'm still in belief that in current days one man won't make a huge difference. Everyone in a team has to perform at the highest level to have a shot at the titles! BMW and Toyota, who haven't hired so-called stars, are doing a better job than Newey's Red Bull or Brawn's Honda.

Anyway, Alonso doesn't seem to be in a mood of building up a team at the moment. He could try it with Renault if he wanted! I don't quite imagine him at BMW to be honest. What about all those Ferrari rumours? At times it has seemed like his move to Maranello is almost sure, it's just about the matter of time.

That's right. Or maybe the Renault was faster?

Renault wasn't faster, just more reliable. :p :

Valve Bounce
6th August 2008, 12:48

Good grief!! I was just joking when I started that rumour. :eek: