PDA

View Full Version : Timo & Jarno... the Toyota F1 Quest continues.

veeten
3rd August 2008, 16:15
Previously, I posted a thread about Toyota's conundrum with their F1 and NASCAR operations, and how the latter was producing better results than the former.

It now looks like TTE has finally turned the corner and has a challenger for the WCC. With Glock taking 2nd in the Hungarian GP, and doing very well during the quallifying rounds, Toyota is solidifying their place at 4th and looking to climb into the top three.

If Jarno is capable to put together some top 5 placements in the rest of this season, Toyota will be in with a shout, and may put some pressure on Ferrari, McLaren, and Renault next year.

But, first things first.

52Paddy
3rd August 2008, 16:18
One thing could ruin all that though. How long is Glock's contract with Toyota currently? I'm not entirely convinced he would turn down an opportunity in a better car next year if that arose. Then again, most of the better teams have driver lineups unlikely to change.

ChrisS
4th August 2008, 19:54
Glock has a 3 year contract so thats no problem

The thing is though, is Toyota making real progress against the other midfield teams or is this just Toyota with its great budget continuing to develop the 08 car when the rest have changed their focus to 09

speeddurango
5th August 2008, 00:16
The podium is a one off though, but Toyota has got the better pace this year, Trulli is constantly in the points and in the top 10, but they sort of need to keep this momentum going, they don't try to make it another 2005 season.

jas123f1
5th August 2008, 10:25
The podium is a one off though, but Toyota has got the better pace this year, Trulli is constantly in the points and in the top 10, but they sort of need to keep this momentum going, they don't try to make it another 2005 season.

It's a pleasure to see that all the hard and long time work start to give some results. Many of us has almost lost hope in Toyota and many were worried that they at last would leave F1 circus for that.. I would like to see them be on podium more often and also win some races.. once in a while.. :)

52Paddy
5th August 2008, 22:11
Glock has a 3 year contract so thats no problem

They must have a lot of faith him there then!

The thing is though, is Toyota making real progress against the other midfield teams or is this just Toyota with its great budget continuing to develop the 08 car when the rest have changed their focus to 09

I that is the case, then Toyota have their heads in the right place. And that doesn't take away from any of their efforts at this stage of the season. If other teams want to get a start on 2009 a little early, then so be it, but let it not stand as an excuse for being beaten!
But, you've also brought up an interesting problem. If that was the case, then the 2009 Toyota could be radically under-developed. Thats only hypothetically though. I don't think theres anything to worry about in all seriousness.

ioan
6th August 2008, 07:49
A fortuitous 2nd place and people are talking about Toyota challenge for the Constructors Championship!

Wait for a pattern to develop before launching such assumptions.

As a matter of fact Toyota already scored podiums, based on pace, not on people falling out from top positions, still they didn't challenge for anything in the following seasons.

Anderton
6th August 2008, 09:01
Saying that they can compete next year for the constructors is quite a drastic thing to say? Don't get me wrong, i do beleive that they are improving on pace, and it's a great thing to see. I just can't see them challenging for the constructors next year.

ArrowsFA1
6th August 2008, 10:42
Toyota team president John Howett believes that Japanese squad are back on the level of competitiveness they enjoyed in 2005 and are eyeing the 2009 season as a huge opportunity to make the big jump.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69695

jens
6th August 2008, 12:38
Toyota has collected already 35 points, which is equal to their total sum in 2006, so they are very close to statistically having their second best ever season in F1.

I'm not really worried about the focus shift of 08 vs 09. History has proven that this doesn't have that much of an effect and often those, who start concentrating on the next season (too?) early, fail miserably. Toyota themselves made once the same mistake too, when they prepared for the 2006 campaign. The main task is to understand and find the problems with the current car to maximize the performance. If you leave the current challenger there and start concentrating on new one, problems won't be found and they persist! I'm personally not going to speculate about 2009 just yet.

I'm really happy about Toyota's progress! What is more amazing that basically no-one else (besides themselves) believed in Toyota any more and folks were calling for their heads and departure from F1. Kudos to Toyota for keeping the belief and never giving up!

Go Toyota! :bounce: