PDA

View Full Version : Hungary Driver of the Day

wedge
3rd August 2008, 14:36
Massa deserved the win, great move on Lewis at the start

Glock - impressive second place. Would've been more impressed if he held off Kimi at the end.

yodasarmpit
3rd August 2008, 14:36
Massa closely followed by Glock.

Dave B
3rd August 2008, 14:38
Massa: fantastic start and did well to manage the pace relative to the McLarens; hugely unlucky to suffer an engine failure.

Glock: fast all through Friday and Saturday and won his podium on merit.

I honestly couldn't choose between them.

Donkey of the race at the moment would appear to be the refulling rig manufacturers.

Viktory
3rd August 2008, 14:47
Massa easily.

followed by Glock.

gm99
3rd August 2008, 14:47
Massa - what a brilliant start! He really would have deserved to win today.
Glock comes a close second for a faultless race.

ioan
3rd August 2008, 14:48
Massa, wonderful move on the opposition at the start.
Kimi also did well, but he needs to wake up earlier during the race, preferably before the start.

truefan72
3rd August 2008, 14:53
Massa & Glock hard to choose between them

...and yeah, Massa should have won the race. It's a cruel thing for the engine to go so close to the finish.

Glock did a phenomenal job all weekend and the 2nd place was well deserved.

Marshall
3rd August 2008, 14:59
Just like everyone else said, Massa and Glock.

Sleeper
3rd August 2008, 15:01
Glock and Massa equal for me.

markabilly
3rd August 2008, 15:03
Massa, for the one pass at the start.

yodasarmpit
3rd August 2008, 15:07
Kimi also did well, but he needs to wake up earlier during the race, preferably before the start.Massa for sure, however Kimmi was not so great. Recently he's only performed when he had clear space in front, he has great difficulty when he's behind anyone but a back marker.

gloomyDAY
3rd August 2008, 15:07
Massa. Very cruel fate, but he was superb!

VkmSpouge
3rd August 2008, 15:08
I would say Timo Glock just ahead of Felipe Massa. Glock was very good all weekend and took a wonderful second place. Massa drove exceedingly well all day and should have won.

MrJan
3rd August 2008, 15:11
Massa, calm and fast drive. :up: to Glock too.

ArrowsFA1
3rd August 2008, 15:22
Massa or Glock. Ferrari never looked that fast all weekend, but today Felipe was unbeatable. Glock possibly edges it for me simply because he got a Toyota to the podium, but both drivers put in superb performances.

mirek01
3rd August 2008, 15:30
Timo Glock :)

Knock-on
3rd August 2008, 15:51
Massa for sure, however Kimmi was not so great. Recently he's only performed when he had clear space in front, he has great difficulty when he's behind anyone but a back marker.

Massa for me was superb. Great race and cruel fate.

I don't know if with Lewis's extra fuel that he would have come out on top after the last stop but a puncture for Lewis means we will never know. However, he was great to watch today and on a McLaren "power" circuit, showed that the Ferrari is still the car to beat.

Heikki was solid and got his maiden win which although should have been a 3rd place, was still a good drive.

For me, I think Timo gets the drive of the race purely because he was punching above his weight and thoroughly deserved the podium.

As for Kimi, I think he's in with a shout of Donkey of the race. Very lucky to get 3rd but under performing hugely in a race winning car.

Rally has lost his Mojo.

wedge
3rd August 2008, 16:18
As for Kimi, I think he's in with a shout of Donkey of the race. Very lucky to get 3rd but under performing hugely in a race winning car.

Rally has lost his Mojo.

I mentioned this in the Kimi thread but he was stuck behind Alonso - hardly a numpty considering he's double WDC and used the same tactics to beat Schumi in Imola 2005 ie. lifting on the apexes earlier eg. after Kimi's first stop he almost rammed into the rear wing of Alonso!

and just as Damon Hill said in his guide to Defensive Driving At The Hungaroring you make your opponent do the hard work on the outside, dirty part of the circuit.

52Paddy
3rd August 2008, 16:27
Massa and Glock of course. Massa drove superbly and was very quick. Glock was faultless too and, although Kimi would have amounted more pressure at the end if it was for the caution he took for his engine, Glock was in a Toyota afterall and Kimi in a Ferrari. BIG difference!

Donkey? Well, Kimi did struggle to pass Alonso for most of the race even though he was quicker. Its funny actually, when he did get by Fernando, he got the clear air and set the fastest lap. :)

I don't think I could consider him the donkey of the race though. Bourdais was fairly uninspiring, even despite his starting position. Its like he was driving around unmotivated and the whole fire extinguisher issue was like a bad, sarcastic joke right in his face.

Interesting race all the same though :up:

Shalafi
3rd August 2008, 16:55
Massa...so unlucky but showed great character and driving ability!

veeten
3rd August 2008, 19:45
the way Glock was driving this weekend it's more like 'hungry', as in for a top finish. ;) :)

COD
3rd August 2008, 20:27
1) Glock
2) Kovalainen
3) Massa

gloomyDAY
3rd August 2008, 21:26
Massa raced today like he wanted the championship. Today's race was very different from others that Felipe raced this season. Very aggressive, perfect execution lap after lap, and fought with a lot of dedication. The desire is there and Felipe is in the hunt.

I'm still laughing a bit over the fact that Massa was perceived as the donkey of the race in Germany. According to some people's logic (SparkyKate, markabilly, Bezza, djparky, F1boat, theugsquirrel, mstillhere) if you get podiums you're still rubbish. :p

McLaren were supposed to dominate in Hungary. Massa and Ferrari didn't win but they managed to prove who can really dominate.

Nikki Katz
3rd August 2008, 23:03
Glock was great, but I really can't give this to anyone but Massa. I'm not a Ferrari fan but I was really upset when he broke down. He's been much better than Raikkonen all weekend, who seems even more withdrawn than usual.

markabilly
3rd August 2008, 23:35
Massa raced today like he wanted the championship. Today's race was very different from others that Felipe raced this season. Very aggressive, perfect execution lap after lap, and fought with a lot of dedication. The desire is there and Felipe is in the hunt.

I'm still laughing a bit over the fact that Massa was perceived as the donkey of the race in Germany. According to some people's logic (SparkyKate, markabilly, Bezza, djparky, F1boat, theugsquirrel, mstillhere) if you get podiums you're still rubbish. :p

McLaren were supposed to dominate in Hungary. Massa and Ferrari didn't win but they managed to prove who can really dominate.

gee i guess I messed up when I said Massa and only Massa was the driver of this race....I take it back :rolleyes:

jso1985
3rd August 2008, 23:45
While Massa gets the special mention, let me vote for my favourite driver as this might not happen again soon.

Timo Glock :up:

Rollo
3rd August 2008, 23:57
A picture paints a thousand words, and this thousand words is bitterly disappointing.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44887000/jpg/_44887601_massaretire226.jpg
Seriously, what do you have to do to turn a trick? I thought that this was just savage and ill-deserved for what otherwise should have been an well-earned win.

Massa gave Kimi a lesson in pluck, heart and ticker today.

Breeze
4th August 2008, 00:10
Kudos to Glock for a strong showing and a memorable weekend, but my vote goes to Massa for driver of the day. What a move at the first turn. Totally had me out of my chair screaming!

Course the same thing happend when his engine went, but only because it gave my forum FGP team first place points again. What irony.

jso1985
4th August 2008, 00:16
If Kimi can "teach" something to Massa now is how to feel when a well earnt win slips through your fingers due the car failing at a really bad moment!

CNR
4th August 2008, 01:17
if Massa was not so fast in the race Do you think that lewis would have been pushing so hard that he wrecked the tyre. :confused:

Lewis Hamilton today sent out a chilling warning to his Formula One title rivals by revealing: “Right now I’m at my best.” 2 Aug 2008

N. Jones
4th August 2008, 01:24
Timo Glock is the driver of the day. A great comeback from his accident in Germany!

tinchote
4th August 2008, 02:50
Massa for me.

The funny thing is that so many on these forums said for years that Massa was hired by Ferrari only because he was managed by Todt Jr. and, even then, just to play second fiddle to MS ;) :D

ShiftingGears
4th August 2008, 03:18

Well, when you don't defend your position at all, like Massa in Germany, would you expect people to shower you with compliments?

Massa was the driver of the day in Hungary.

ShiftingGears
4th August 2008, 03:21
if Massa was not so fast in the race Do you think that lewis would have been pushing so hard that he wrecked the tyre. :confused:

You don't know whether it was Hamilton's driving style that caused the puncture. The Bridgestone guys don't.

truefan72
4th August 2008, 04:38

If Hamilton was not behind Massa, do you think that he would have been pushing so hard and blew up his engine?

c'mon mate your synposis is just as flawed as the latter point.

It's called racing, stuff happens. ;)

Storm
4th August 2008, 08:31
Under pressure for 1 really poor race (Silverstone) and 1 decent race but where his rival smashed him and everybody else (Germany), Felipe Massa showed yesterday that he really has come of age as a racing driver.
Did exactly what he needed to do at the start and passed Kovy and Hamilton with a brave move on the outside. No mistakes and would have won the race comfortably only for his car to fail.

Driver of the day, Felipe :up:
Hopefully ge doesn't get too demotivated and we see him try hard again in next races and maybe yesterday's slightly lucky podium would make Kimi motivated too.

Garry Walker
4th August 2008, 10:56
Massa for sure, however Kimmi was not so great. Recently he's only performed when he had clear space in front, he has great difficulty when he's behind anyone but a back marker.

You do realize that due to turbulence you can`t go as fast with someone ahead of you as you can with clear track ahead.

Driver: glock, Massa

Knock-on
4th August 2008, 11:06
Massa and Glock of course. Massa drove superbly and was very quick. Glock was faultless too and, although Kimi would have amounted more pressure at the end if it was for the caution he took for his engine, Glock was in a Toyota afterall and Kimi in a Ferrari. BIG difference!

Donkey? Well, Kimi did struggle to pass Alonso for most of the race even though he was quicker. Its funny actually, when he did get by Fernando, he got the clear air and set the fastest lap. :)

I don't think I could consider him the donkey of the race though. Bourdais was fairly uninspiring, even despite his starting position. Its like he was driving around unmotivated and the whole fire extinguisher issue was like a bad, sarcastic joke right in his face.

Interesting race all the same though :up:

OK, Donkey of the race is a bit harsh but he is really p*ssing me off at the moment.

He just looks so inspired all weekend and qualifies like he doesn't give a toss.

He obviously has the pace as he showed in the last few laps when it doesn't matter so where was that pace for the rest of the weekend.

He's in argueably the best car, he's one of the most experienced F1 drivers and he's the current WDC. Can anyone claim he's excelling at the moment. I think he's hugely underperforming this year and thinks he'll just luck another title like last year.

longisland
4th August 2008, 11:58
Definitely Massa followed by Glock & Piquet Jr.

52Paddy
4th August 2008, 12:33
OK, Donkey of the race is a bit harsh but he is really p*ssing me off at the moment.

He just looks so inspired all weekend and qualifies like he doesn't give a toss.

He obviously has the pace as he showed in the last few laps when it doesn't matter so where was that pace for the rest of the weekend.

I'm not too sure about qualifying. Didn't actually see it.

But, I think he could have had a better race if he passed Alonso earlier. The longer he spent behind Alonso, the bigger gap Massa and Hamilton pulled away at the front. Alonso isn't the easiest guy to pass out there, even if his Renault isn't as bulletproof as in former years.

Dr. Krogshöj
4th August 2008, 13:12
Kimi also did well, but he needs to wake up earlier during the race, preferably before the start.

He'd better wake up Saturday morning because he isn't going to win from 6th on the grid, twice in a row now.

jens
6th August 2008, 10:44
Massa - wow! IMO one of the greatest drives of his career. A real shame about the engine. Hopefully this year car failures won't become fateful for his title challenge like they were last year.

Glock - fantastic! Hopefully his potential will finally start to unveil and he can iron out the inconsistency he has had in the first half of the season. Great pace throughout the weekend!

And finally another guy, who has got little attention - Alonso. He managed to keep Räikkönen behind him for 2/3 of the race and seemed very much competitive throughout the race in an inferior Renault.

Big Ben
6th August 2008, 11:44
Massa impressed me. He made to passes without touching anybody and kept a very good rhythm the whole race. He would have deserved the win.

Glock was very good too. His pace was really surprising.

555-04Q2
6th August 2008, 15:32
As always, the winner is driver of the race for me. So HK it is with his first win.

stevie_gerrard
6th August 2008, 16:45
Massa was outstanding, definately the winner here. Glock was superb too.