PDA

View Full Version : Why is Brundle never at the Hungarian GP?

FIA
2nd August 2008, 22:38
Why is Martin Brundle never at the Hungarian Grand Prix?

wedge
2nd August 2008, 23:16
Holiday

He used to miss the Canadian GP to do Le Mans.

Probably goes on holiday with the family or whatever private business is his business.

BeansBeansBeans
2nd August 2008, 23:35

I'm not sure, but if I had to miss one Grand Prix per season, I'd probably pick Hungary as well.

Valve Bounce
3rd August 2008, 00:07
Obvious: he doesn't speak Hungarian.
Next question, please!!

ioan
3rd August 2008, 00:11
Obvious: he doesn't speak Hungarian.
Next question, please!!

Good one! :D

VkmSpouge
3rd August 2008, 02:11

He has to go on holiday sometime and frankly which grand prix would you prefer to skip? :p :

Hawkmoon
3rd August 2008, 02:31
Why doesn't Allen go on holiday?

Valve Bounce
3rd August 2008, 05:23
He has to go on holiday sometime and frankly which grand prix would you prefer to skip? :p :

He could go during Christmas, but Santa wouldn't hear of it. :(

Azumanga Davo
3rd August 2008, 09:46
Why doesn't Allen go on holiday?

Because door locks are so expensive to change... ;)

Dave B
3rd August 2008, 10:22
It's at times like this when you appreciate just how difficult a commentator's job is.

Damon Hill is a great bloke, passionate about Formula One, intelligent and lucid. However, during yesterday's qualifying he never really sounded relaxed and never quite got into the groove. He answered James Allen's questions well, but the awkward silences were painful.

Obviously Brundle's had ten year's practice - this really isn't a criticism of Damon - but it just goes to show it ain't easy.

Anderton
3rd August 2008, 10:35
It's at times like this when you appreciate just how difficult a commentator's job is.

Damon Hill is a great bloke, passionate about Formula One, intelligent and lucid. However, during yesterday's qualifying he never really sounded relaxed and never quite got into the groove. He answered James Allen's questions well, but the awkward silences were painful.

Obviously Brundle's had ten year's practice - this really isn't a criticism of Damon - but it just goes to show it ain't easy.
Like Dave said, Damon Hill sounded quite uncomfortable yesterday, but he's obviously not used to commentating.
Brundle brings something to the commentary that other drivers can't.

Nikki Katz
3rd August 2008, 11:02
Hill's done it a number of times before and I never thought he did a very good job. He comes across as a nice guy but way too vague for a commentator. I guess he's just our biggest name recent(ish) retired driver.

However, I thought that Davidson was excellent when he commentated this race a couple of years ago, though perhaps that was due to Button's surprise win.

I'll really miss Martin if he's not around next year.

wedge
3rd August 2008, 11:11
Brundle brings something to the commentary that other drivers can't.

Anthony Davidson.

Did a cracking job for Five Live.

Has wicked sense of humour and forthright opinions. Called Brundle a fool on national telly for missing Button's win in Hungary 2006

Anderton
3rd August 2008, 11:16
Anthony Davidson.

Did a cracking job for Five Live.

Has wicked sense of humour and forthright opinions. Called Brundle a fool on national telly for missing Button's win in Hungary 2006
I never listened to that. Suppose he can commentate now Super Aguri are no more :(
I like a commentator with a slight sense of humour.

wedge
3rd August 2008, 11:20
Hill's done it a number of times before and I never thought he did a very good job. He comes across as a nice guy but way too vague for a commentator. I guess he's just our biggest name recent(ish) retired driver.

As Dave Brockman said, it shows how difficult the commentators' job is. Damon is good on insights and drivers' POV, its the awkward silences.

I remember Blundell covered Brundle when Brundle went off to Le Mans. I thought Blundell was awful.

52Paddy
3rd August 2008, 16:32
I actually thought Damon did a good job. The silences were painful and it almost made Damon seem degraded but when you look at him as an unexperienced 'fill-in' it softens it a bit. He wasn't boring. He held my attention, better than James Allen manages to do at the best of times. He was crystal clear when he was commentating and also stopped mid-way through a speech to hear the pit radio or mention some incident that was caught on camera. Thumbs up Damon :up:

Viktory
3rd August 2008, 19:40
At least he didn't think Trulli was Glock (pitstops). Maybe he should have said something about it though :p

Mark
3rd August 2008, 21:15
There is usually a 3 week gap around the time of Hungary so choosing that maximises his time away. As to why he gets it well it is in his contract that he gets one race off. Initially it was for Le Mans but just continued.

Nikki Katz
3rd August 2008, 21:44
At least he didn't think Trulli was Glock (pitstops). Maybe he should have said something about it though :p
That really confused me, especially as Glock had only pitted a few laps earlier and was in 3rd. I nearly yelled out "noooooo" when I thought he'd fallen to 8th for no real reason. Fortunately he hadn't.

wedge
3rd August 2008, 21:56
There is usually a 3 week gap around the time of Hungary so choosing that maximises his time away. As to why he gets it well it is in his contract that he gets one race off. Initially it was for Le Mans but just continued.

He likes to see his son racing as well. I would imagine FPA will be racing during the F1 summer break

*checks interweb*