PDA

View Full Version : McLaren front wing development

wedge
2nd August 2008, 15:45
Clearly inspired by BMW and Honda.

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/2008/hun/f1-2008-hun-xp-0524.jpg

markabilly
2nd August 2008, 15:54
Looks like a tri-plane from WWI....with that much stuff everywhere, it ought to be fast

ArrowsFA1
2nd August 2008, 15:56
Mark Hughes writes about McLaren's development in this week's Autosport, and the revised front wing seems central to the improvements the team has made in recent weeks. I've probably got this wrong, but as I read it the new wing allows smaller radiators, which in turn makes the car more aerodynamically stable at the rear. While Lewsi preferred a pointy front end and sorted out the rear himself, this was hard on the tyres. Now, the car is less hard on the front tyres and more stable. While that would have been less to LH's liking, work done in McLaren's simulator (Hughes makes the point that McLaren are well ahead of Ferrari in this area) means he's more than happy with the way the car is working. And it shows!!

ioan
2nd August 2008, 16:05
So we got another Dumbo on the grid.

wedge
2nd August 2008, 16:28
Mark Hughes writes about McLaren's development in this week's Autosport, and the revised front wing seems central to the improvements the team has made in recent weeks. I've probably got this wrong, but as I read it the new wing allows smaller radiators, which in turn makes the car more aerodynamically stable at the rear. While Lewsi preferred a pointy front end and sorted out the rear himself, this was hard on the tyres. Now, the car is less hard on the front tyres and more stable. While that would have been less to LH's liking, work done in McLaren's simulator (Hughes makes the point that McLaren are well ahead of Ferrari in this area) means he's more than happy with the way the car is working. And it shows!!

He can still alter the set up for how hard to use the tyres, alter driving style to generate load on the fronts.

The car is definitely more aerodynamically stable through the quick corners. Its so neutral and finely balanced. Damon Hill said Lewis was driving within his comfort zone but I think its down to the car being so precise and the cliche of smooth is quick, whereas most days the car is on the edge of adhesion and that was when you knew Lewis was quick.

Sleeper
2nd August 2008, 16:44

That article was reffering to the gap added to the leading element of the front wing (effectively giving it four plains). As I understood it, it reduced front downforce slightly but worked the front tyres less so they last longer but also made the wake of the front wing more usable, alowing for smaller radiator inlets and so less drag and a better airflow to the rear wing increasing downforce there. It lead to a distinct change in the handling charecteristics of the car (not something that can be changed on a whim with the set up of the car, as wedge suggests) and Hamilton spent the two weeks between Silverstone and Hockenheim getting used to the handeling of the car in the teams simulater. We all saw the results.

The dumbo wings in the picture above are just more flow conditioners, just like those that cover all the cars. A case of "nothing to see here" in the end.

truefan72
2nd August 2008, 17:34
I rather like this improvement and they havent' adopted the shark fin, which at the moment seems like they don't need it. I guess that by years end, all cars will be running this component.

wedge
2nd August 2008, 22:10
The dumbo wings in the picture above are just more flow conditioners, just like those that cover all the cars. A case of "nothing to see here" in the end.

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2008/797/567.html

These horn-like winglets halfway up the MP4-23's nosecone have been introduced by McLaren in Hungary. It's a solution not dissimilar to the 'delta' winglets on the BMW Sauber and one that provides a better quality of airflow to the car's sidepod inlets and rear end. It does this by improving the management of the airflow exiting the front wing. This doesn't directly increase front downforce, but instead improves the aero efficiency and downforce load in the central and rear sections of the car.

rjtart
3rd August 2008, 06:40
I think I've found the true inspiration for all the appendages sprouting up on today's F1 cars – the 1958 Firebird III.

SGWilko
3rd August 2008, 12:18
I think I've found the true inspiration for all the appendages sprouting up on today's F1 cars – the 1958 Firebird III.

Didn't the [rinky dink] Pink Panther used to turn up in one of those in the cartoons?

Storm
4th August 2008, 10:18
All these wings are ugly! :(
BMW ones aren't as bad but the Honda ones are horrible.

Garry Walker
4th August 2008, 10:47
. Now, the car is less hard on the front tyres and more stable.

Didn`t look like that in the hungarian GP :D

Knock-on
4th August 2008, 11:28

Actually, the tyres looked OK and he ragged the soft ones pretty hard with no issue.

I think we'll find it was an outside influence.

wedge
4th August 2008, 12:20

It seemed the super-softs would make the car slide more, graining phase most likely.

More progressive, controllable slide, instead of snapping mid-corner.