PDA

View Full Version : [O/T] Top Gear

darknessrock
28th January 2007, 22:39
Top Gear...
GREAT! :) :) :)
Nice to see the boy's back on form!
Now How about that oval drive Hamster..................................

Jordygirl
28th January 2007, 23:21
Totally agree. Sunday nights were not the same without the boys, even if Clarkson drives me mad sometimes. Hamster on the Oval - bring it on. :up:

LessThanSte
28th January 2007, 23:49
Well, having watched the crash, its not as bad as i thought it would be. I kinda expected it to be a little like scott riggs wreck at talladega a year or so ago, you know where it fired him up in the air.

Still, looked nasty anyway. Thing is, all those people who said that he shouldnt have been driving because of lack of training, doesnt account for the fact that, no matter who it was, they'd have crashed equally as badly then.

The only thing that should maybe be mentioned is that, were it on a drag strip, he'd have had a few yards to a concrete wall, hit it at roughly 15 degrees and ran along it until the car stopped. On a runway, you dont have that luxury and anything that gets out of control is gonna get scary when the grass comes along.

As for the show itself, wasnt the best top gear episode, though the road paving thing was excellent. The jag review and jamie oliver (boring!) seemed a little hastily put together, though that jag was gorgeous (and even more so in silver!).

Still, great to see them back and you could see the emotion on jeremy's face when talking about the crash afterwards.

LessThanSte
28th January 2007, 23:57
Oh, for anyone who missed it;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/media/programmes/topgear/bb/topgear_280107_clip1_16x9_bb.asx

JDPower
29th January 2007, 02:40
though that jag was gorgeous (and even more so in silver!).
Are you joking, it looks like a Hyundai!

Great to have it back though and I thought they handled the whole crash thing very well, and found it quite touching the way they were with Hamster.

Speedworx
29th January 2007, 09:12
Great to see them back!

SteveA
29th January 2007, 11:02
The only thing that should maybe be mentioned is that, were it on a drag strip, he'd have had a few yards to a concrete wall, hit it at roughly 15 degrees and ran along it until the car stopped. On a runway, you dont have that luxury and anything that gets out of control is gonna get scary when the grass comes along.

Well, depends how far past the finish line you have got. Micke Kagared's car disintegrated as it went over the line at Santa Pod, and ended up in the field in a similar fashion to The Vampire.

Talking of jet cars, there is of course another danger, as demonstrated at The Pod in November:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRWdMFWAAcM

timtime
29th January 2007, 11:51
Enjoyed the show and it was good to see RH back in the saddle, I did think he looked very drawn though. I think the Jag is a nice looking car and for what its worth the Hyundai used to receive a lot of praise for its looks. I prefer something a bit quirky so I'll stick to me 300C.

On the subject of Santa Pod the wall goes all the way down the shut off area now. I think it was in place for the start of last season. Roll on Easter I'm looking forward to sniffing some nitro.It is shaping up to be an interesting year with the various new funny cars, Andy Carter in the ex Hakan Nillson top fuel car should be an intersting combo and Roel Koedam on the TF Supertwin is something I'm particularly looking forward to.

Tim

SteveA
29th January 2007, 15:08
I do wish TG would get their facts right though. 314MPH is not the "fastest anyone's ever travelled in Britain". Just last year a Top Fueler was clocked at 318MPH at Santa Pod. The problem is there is never a "return run" to backup TF speed records, so they don't count!

Believe it or not, the fastest speed at Santa Pod is 386MPH with a 1/4mile ET of 3.58 seconds, set by the late Sammy Miller in 1984 in his rocket car. Don't get any ideas, Hammond!

timtime
29th January 2007, 17:44
We must not forget Matin Hill's run at the Easter Thunderball 2005 acheiving 336.1 and the world record for the 1/4 mile in a Jet funny car.

I await with interest his new project the new jet powered bike.

Tim

ASCAR24/7/365.5
29th January 2007, 17:48
interesting...in all the debate about top gear i havent heard anyone say...poor guys for loosing their car. i realise that someones life is more important and i think hammond is an awesome guy but i cant help feeling sorry for the vampire crew who have not only lost their car but also have a police enquiery on their hands. unfortunately its one of those freekish accidents...ive never seen a front tyre on a dragster blow out before so it will be interesting to see what caused it..if they ever do find out. agreed tho awesome return for top gear and nice to see drag racing...well what ever you class that as getting some publicity...really did seem like he was enjoying the car till it all went wrong.

SteveA
29th January 2007, 18:09
They're quite big wheels and tyres for the front of a dragster. I have seen the front tyres go on top fuelers (usually after a wheelie!), but because they're so small they usually run on the rims without sending the car out of control.

JDPower
29th January 2007, 19:20
Talking of jet cars, there is of course another danger, as demonstrated at The Pod in November:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRWdMFWAAcM
:s hock: I wasn't aware that happened, damn lucky to escape unhurt.

interesting...in all the debate about top gear i havent heard anyone say...poor guys for loosing their car.
Some people never cease to amaze me :rolleyes:

ASCAR24/7/365.5
30th January 2007, 19:15
wat do u mean by that JDPower..?

im not saying richard hammonds life isnt important..corse it is...its the most important thing bar none...but i do feel sorry for the vimpire crew after investing so much money and time into a car and then to have it written off.

SteveA
30th January 2007, 21:56
Apart from new paint, I'm not sure The Vampire has had much money invested in it since I first saw it in 1989 (when it was blue).

I think they've had good value out of it!

racing59
31st January 2007, 23:37
Top Gear...
GREAT! :) :) :)
Nice to see the boy's back on form!
Now How about that oval drive Hamster..................................

Never underestimate the dark side of the force.....