PDA

View Full Version : Hungarian GP Qualifying and Race thread.

Knock-on
1st August 2008, 13:56
Come on Dave and VB, you boys are really slipping :p :

Knock-on
1st August 2008, 13:57
Massa and Ferrari rampant in Practive one but McLaren showing strong in P2.

Knock-on
1st August 2008, 14:40
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:20.554 35
2. Piquet Renault (B) 1:20.748 + 0.194 38
3. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:20.760 + 0.206 33
4. Alonso Renault (B) 1:20.928 + 0.374 35
5. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:21.009 + 0.455 35
6. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:21.010 + 0.456 36
7. Heidfeld BMW Sauber (B) 1:21.138 + 0.584 46
8. Kubica BMW Sauber (B) 1:21.363 + 0.809 36
9. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:21.505 + 0.951 42
10. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:21.581 + 1.027 34
11. Glock Toyota (B) 1:21.662 + 1.108 39
12. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:21.733 + 1.179 43
13. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:21.837 + 1.283 34
14. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:21.902 + 1.348 33
15. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:21.955 + 1.401 41
16. Button Honda (B) 1:22.150 + 1.596 41
17. Fisichella Force India-Ferrari (B) 1:22.197 + 1.643 36
18. Sutil Force India-Ferrari (B) 1:22.358 + 1.804 37
19. Barrichello Honda (B) 1:22.448 + 1.894 33
20. Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:22.945 + 2.391 5

Very strong showing from Renault.

I know it's only practice but warning bells for Ferrari.

jens
1st August 2008, 18:46
McLaren is the obvious favourite. Their advantage in last year's qualifying was so clear that drivers even had time to solely concentrate on each other and start blocking. :p : Hockenheim showed that McLaren is now quick on every kind of circuits, and Hungaroring, which demand more mechanical grip, should well suit them or at least even more than other circuits.

Ferrari is probably the second force. I personally expect Räikkönen to be the stronger of the two Ferrari guys this time. Massa has really never impressed me in Hungary, except his debut race in 2002, when he finished narrowly out of the points. BMW might interrupt Ferrari a bit. Alonso has shown that Renault has good qualifying pace, so he may be high up on the grid. Toyota should fight for points as also Red Bull and STR (with Vettel). And why not even Williams. Hungaroring is called "Monaco without walls" and at Monaco Rosberg was really flying until he started knocking his front wings off.

Hungaroring is Jarno's worst circuit in F1 calendar, so I dare not to have too high expectations - as the track is quite abrasive, then he has usually struggled with tyre wear in races. But on the other hand, who knows - if the car is well-balanced and enables to overcome the issues, then he may put in a decent drive too like in 2005, which I personally regard as Jarno's best ever Hungarian GP, when he finished 4th and kept good pace throughout the race, although finished behind his team-mate.

But it's really time for Timo to shine and to collect the good for the team this time. If he struggles to beat Jarno on this circuit, it will be even harder during the rest of the season!

Shalafi
1st August 2008, 18:57
Well, Kimi was a little worried after practise because of big time difference to Hamilton. He is having troubles to turn Ferrari in some corners. Its better than in Hockenheim, but should be better. He still thinks that they can have it a better in qualifying, but its difficult to say will it be good enough.

Heikki, in the other hand, is very pleased with the car and thinks that he can really fight for pole tomorrow.

So, Macs seems to have an edge here.

pettersolberg29
1st August 2008, 19:26
Force India not last or second last is the biggest shock!

ioan
1st August 2008, 22:08
Force India not last or second last is the biggest shock!

They are using their new seamless unit. Not sure they will use it for the race though.

Oli_M
2nd August 2008, 00:28
Speed TV commentators reckoned that most teams used little fuel in P1 to assess the graining they expected to experience - and that Ferrari used noticably less fuel than McLaren during this time.

Looking at P2 where its assumed they would all have probably done a low-fuel run in a quali simulation, seems very close on pace. Renault def up there - Alonso has always gone well at this track - often in not the best car - possibility for a outside bet for pole??

speeddurango
2nd August 2008, 04:26
I wouldn't really agree with Pter Windsor's assesment of performance based on fuel load, simply by looking at Renault, unless they are all of a sudden very fast, otherwise by finishing 2nd and 4th only indicates a lot of people are still carrying some extra.

Dave B
2nd August 2008, 11:33
Come on Dave and VB, you boys are really slipping :p :
I was up at 4:30, I should have snuck on and started the thread while you were still in your jim-jams :p

Anderton
2nd August 2008, 13:40
McLaren obvious favourites, they seem to have the pace. Gutted Coulthard didn't make Q3 :(

Anderton
2nd August 2008, 14:00
A McLaren 1,2. Hamilton on pole and Kovaleinen 2nd. Great to see, hopefully the McLarens will hold position tomorrow :D

jens
2nd August 2008, 14:26
Oh damn. Toyotas were so incredibly quick, but in the end still dropped backwards. Timo was 2nd before the last attempt, but I assume he made a mistake on his last try and didn't improve the time, hence "only" P5. Would have liked to see him at the press conference for the first time, but this wasn't bound to happen... And if Jarno isn't clearly the heaviest out of the Top10, I would be very disappointed (he was easily in Top5 both in Q1 and Q2). But Timo faster than Jarno at the Hungaroring - well, it was expected. :D Toyota has generally been quick at Hungaroring too - they seem to excel in hot weather.

Hm. Maybe there is some truth in the assumptions like McLaren is better with race fuel load (Q3), while Ferrari seems to shine with emtpy tanks. It's quite an interesting turnaround, because last year it was McLaren, who seemed quicker over shorter stints. Anyway - as expected McLaren still the team to beat. Kubica came literally out of nowhere to take P4. Shame Heidfeld was blocked in Q1. Honda and Button surprised a bit with their result (P12). A bit disappointed with Williams. If they can't shine on this type of circuit, then their chances during the rest of the season are fairly limited. And the two upcoming street circuits are not as twisty and narrow as Monaco either, so not looking good for Team Willy. And Fisichella faster by Sutil almost by half a second, which was quite usual at the start of the season.

VkmSpouge
2nd August 2008, 14:30
Front row lock out for McLaren, if they can hold that into turn 1 it might be impossible to shift them in the race.
Timo Glock was probably the star of qualifying. Excellent pace throughout the session and managed to beat a Ferrari.
Jenson Button also put in a very good lap to get 12th place.
Kimi Raikkonen is looking out of sorts again.

truefan72
2nd August 2008, 15:09
Front row lock out for McLaren, if they can hold that into turn 1 it might be impossible to shift them in the race.
Timo Glock was probably the star of qualifying. Excellent pace throughout the session and managed to beat a Ferrari.
Jenson Button also put in a very good lap to get 12th place.
Kimi Raikkonen is looking out of sorts again.

good assessment!

markabilly
2nd August 2008, 15:36
There is now really only one question: Can kimi or ferrari fans depend on Lewis being consistent and dependable the same this year as he was last year?
Because Lewis will have to choke again this year or he will be WDC

And will SB be punished for maybe interfereing with Nick H.?

Dave B
2nd August 2008, 16:27
Can't see Seb being punished, he himself was being blocked and in any case Heidfeld was just plain slow today.

pettersolberg29
2nd August 2008, 18:45
As a Heidfeld fan, I must say that he was poor today - BUT I believe he was blocked.
It wouldnt have made any differences really - just got Nick about 12th instead of 16th.

His only hope now is a one stop strategy with lucky safety cars (or rain)!

mirek01
2nd August 2008, 20:26
McLaren clearly in front. Toyota looking very good and Renault both cars in top 10.It will be interesting race tomorrow.

ioan
2nd August 2008, 20:48
As a Heidfeld fan, I must say that he was poor today - BUT I believe he was blocked.
It wouldnt have made any differences really - just got Nick about 12th instead of 16th.

I agree he wasn't exceptionally fast, however 12 is still way better than 16th for a start.

pettersolberg29
2nd August 2008, 20:53
12 is obviously better - but no points either way probably.

jens
2nd August 2008, 21:08
From 12th on the grid it may be possible to aim for points if the strategy works out perfectly. But from P15 (after Bourdais' penalty) it'll be difficult with any strategy on a circuit like Hungaroring if the safety car won't appear.

ioan
3rd August 2008, 12:56
WOOOOW! What a start!

ioan
3rd August 2008, 14:33
And what a pity! More luck needed next time.

janneppi
3rd August 2008, 14:43
Hip hei! :)

Viktory
3rd August 2008, 14:48
heart-breaking end to the race....

ioan
3rd August 2008, 14:50
Hip hei! :)

What's there to be happy about? :(

truefan72
3rd August 2008, 15:00
Congrats Heikke, tough luck LH. That tire effectively cost him 1st or 2nd place.

In the end
a good day for Mclaren,
a great day for Toyota & Glock,
tough, tough break for Massa ( even though I was a bit surprised at his speed)
ever so slight redemption for Raikkonen
Solid performance for renault, Good Job Alonso and points again for NPJr. ( I think they are going to give Toyota and BMW a good challenge)

It was a good race, but sadly came down to a blown tire and a engine blowup to provide any real drama (except for the start I hear, which I unfortunately missed because I overslept)

VkmSpouge
3rd August 2008, 15:07
Very surprising Hungarian Grand Prix.

Well done to Heikki Kovalainen on his first victory, though it was presented to him on a silver platter by Massa's exploding engine.
I felt really sorry for Felipe Massa, he had a deserved race win coming to him. His move on Lewis Hamilton at the first corner was very good.
Timo Glock drove excellently all weekend and took a much deserved podium.
Kimi Raikkonen looked out of sorts until the last few laps, I'm still trying to work out just how he leapt over Fernando Alonso in the pits because the gap to the Renault had been several seconds just after Raikkonen's off...wormhole, witchcraft or good driving it did finally wake Raikkonen up.
Lewis Hamilton got unlucky with that puncture but still not a terrible race day for him with his championship up to 5 points.

markabilly
3rd August 2008, 15:09
Exciting race based on the first corner, the flat tire and the engine blow up.

That all took about three laps out of 70
Then there was Kimi running fast for about ten laps trying to catch Glock until he backed off for whatever reason.
Brings it down to 13 of 70, leaving a remainder of 57 laps of the usual boredom...

ArrowsFA1
3rd August 2008, 15:15
Great drive by Massa which was worthy of the win. Hamilton/McLaren had no answer to his Ferrari today, puncture or no puncture. I'm delighted for Heikki. He may have lucked into it this time but a win's a win. Great drive by Glock too.

wedge
3rd August 2008, 16:06
Stunning pace from the Ferraris, perhaps another example of the car being poor over a qualy lap on new tyres.

Great drive by Massa which was worthy of the win. Hamilton/McLaren had no answer to his Ferrari today, puncture or no puncture. I'm delighted for Heikki. He may have lucked into it this time but a win's a win. Great drive by Glock too.

Apparently Lewis had more fuel. I think it would've been very close at the final round of stops, I wouldn't say for sure who would've won the race before Lewis' puncture.

janneppi
3rd August 2008, 16:08
What's there to be happy about? :(

Heikki's first win and Kimi's now in better position in the WDC. There was nothing to be happy about the race itself. ;)

wedge
7th August 2008, 13:41
Looks like Massa did his homework:

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=Ted_Kravitz&id=43602

Felipe Massa’s great start came courtesy of his Brazilian mate Lucas Di Grassi, who pulled off exactly the same trick in Saturday’s GP2 race.

Felipe was watching the race with his brother Dudu (not sure if this is his real name or one of those Brazilian nicknames like Pele or Fred) and came out to cheer Di Grassi on the podium.

The Renault test driver would have told his Ferrari friend how good the grip was off P3 on the clean side of the track, and the rest is history.