PDA

View Full Version : Kovalainen's contract renewal

ioan
1st August 2008, 09:30
What is your view on McLaren mid-season renewing the contract for their clearly under-performing driver?

Does Hamilton get his first lapdog?

leopard
1st August 2008, 09:38
Perhaps because he agreed the renewal was made without increasing the amount he received this year.

ArrowsFA1
1st August 2008, 09:42
It's a great signing for Heikki and McLaren :up:

Storm
1st August 2008, 10:00
Its a great signing for Heiki and McLaren AND Hamilton :)

leopard
1st August 2008, 10:12
How if finally combination of Hamilton + Heikki does not work out, they fail to win the titles this year, isn't this still good? :)

Mark
1st August 2008, 11:00
Remember it's only the last couple of races where Hamilton has had the upper hand, aside from that Hekki has kept up and even bested him on a few occasions.

harsha
1st August 2008, 11:22
good deal for the Finn

but not doubting his pace,just that he seems to have a brainfade when stuck behind slower cars...doesn't seem to be ruthless enough to overtake them

Knock-on
1st August 2008, 12:12
Remember it's only the last couple of races where Hamilton has had the upper hand, aside from that Hekki has kept up and even bested him on a few occasions.

Yep, Heikki has pace but has struggled to translate that into the positions he deservs.

I'm sure HK and McLaren will iron this out and have 2 strong drivers so I'm glad they've retained him.

wedge
1st August 2008, 12:47
Could it be that Alonso is off to a different team for 2010, Kovy will fill the Renault spot, hence the 1 year extension?

Only in qualy trim has Kovy pose any sort of significant threat, race pace is questionable.

Second season syndrome? Some drivers seem to go through this phase. A new team, another season, a new car a with different characteristics. Some drivers need more time to adjust.

gloomyDAY
1st August 2008, 16:27
Sweet!

Everyone seems like happy little elves at McLaren.
Keep the vibe for next year and hopefully some championships.

Nikki Katz
1st August 2008, 19:39
It's a bit weird to see it renewed on the back of a few poor races, though he has at least picked up some points now. But I think they need to give him more than half a year to show himself. If he's still where he's been the past few races this time next year I feel we might be seeing a change. But give him a chance, he was at least quick up until a few races ago, even if he could never finish without major incident.

jens
1st August 2008, 19:53
As I wrote in another thread, then I'm sure that Heikki is more capable than he is showing at the moment if he can find the right mindset. Probably McLaren knows it too and tries their best to help Heikki in finding a good approach to Grand Prix' weekends.

Also a good deal from Heikki's perspective. Some may moan about lap-dog status, but there is no better option for HK than McLaren at the moment. And if you want to become a WDC, you have to be ready to drive against any team-mate and try to beat him.

truefan72
1st August 2008, 20:00
As I wrote in another thread, then I'm sure that Heikki is more capable than he is showing at the moment if he can find the right mindset. Probably McLaren knows it too and tries their best to help Heikki in finding a good approach to Grand Prix' weekends.

Also a good deal from Heikki's perspective. Some may moan about lap-dog status, but there is no better option for HK than McLaren at the moment. And if you want to become a WDC, you have to be ready to drive against any team-mate and try to beat him.

:up:
well said

harsha
1st August 2008, 20:07
i wanted Rosberg in the team next year....would have been interesting to see Rosberg Vs Hamilton

markabilly
2nd August 2008, 16:40
i wanted Rosberg in the team next year....would have been interesting to see Rosberg Vs Hamilton
And that "interesting" factor is why they preferred H. "please pass me Lewis" K

Jag_Warrior
2nd August 2008, 22:06

Yeah, I'd also like to see Rosberg in a better car than Williams can currently provide. But Frank has already said that he'd be crazy to let go of Rosberg. And Rosberg has said that he'd only leave if Williams granted him an out... he wouldn't fight to leave. I'd love to see Rosberg get a win in the Williams, but I don't see it anytime soon.

As for Heikki, I like him too. But unless he picks it up, he'll be Lewis' "Coulthard" - not the lapdog that Barrichello was to Schumacher, but not much more than a reliable wingman when times are tough. Personally, I hope he proves to be more than that.

ShiftingGears
3rd August 2008, 01:36

I haven't seen anything from Rosberg that would suggest he is anywhere near Hamiltons level.

Valve Bounce
3rd August 2008, 03:05
What is your view on McLaren mid-season renewing the contract for their clearly under-performing driver?

Does Hamilton get his first lapdog?

I think there's quite a lot of upside in the future for Kovi.

jas123f1
3rd August 2008, 09:36
I'm asking me .. Who they should sing if not Heikki?

Rubens? ;)

Anderton
3rd August 2008, 11:52
HK has hasn't been too consistent this year, he's got the pace but he isn't really putting it into his races. Hopefully next year he will have a better year with McLaren, but we'll have to wait and see i suppose.

markabilly
3rd August 2008, 16:42
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69647

Team equality

Dennis added: "The proof of the pudding is in the eating. You could go back through the entire history of McLaren, you could talk to any driver that has driven for McLaren and you will not find anyone - save for one - who will not verify that this team always runs on the basis of equality and always will."

I beleive the reference is to FA, however, RD demonstrates the lack of candor which has made him famous, as I would think that Lauda might have a bit of disagreement with that....esp given all the stuff that went on, (car problems and such) and how at the last race, Mac had all these posters showing his team mate winning the WDC, but it turns out that did not quite happen........ :s mokin:

COD
3rd August 2008, 21:26
Underperforming winner :laugh:

gloomyDAY
3rd August 2008, 22:13
Underperforming winner :laugh:
LOL! I love the irony.

AndySpeed
3rd August 2008, 22:13
Glad to see Kova's contract renewed. His season hasn't been about under-performance, it's been about bad luck - the Tyre related accident in Spain, the puncture in Turkey, engine stalling in Monaco...

Now that other drivers have also tasted a bit more poor luck, and Heikki hasn't, he's starting to look closer in the WDC standings. :)

Rollo
4th August 2008, 00:47

Anyone Hungary?

Recipe
Ingredients:
1 crow
stuffing of your choice
salt and pepper
shortening
flour
2 Pie crust mixes
2-3 hard-boiled eggs

Stuff the crow. Loosen joints with a knife but do not cut through.
Simmer the crow in a stew-pan, with enough water to cover, until nearly tender, then season with salt and pepper. Remove meat from bones and set aside.
Prepare pie crusts as directed. (Do not bake)
Make a medium thick gravy with flour, shortening, and juices in which the crow has cooked and let cool.
Line a pie plate with pie crust and line with slices of hard-boiled egg. Place crow meat on top. Layer gravy over the crow. Place second pie dough crust over top.
Bake at 230°C degrees for 1/2 hour.

Enjoy :D

jso1985
4th August 2008, 01:02
That's why you don't have to be like Hamilton... ;)

Even if you're "at 100%", things can you wrong and the things you say might haunt you back :P

Valve Bounce
4th August 2008, 08:54
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69647

Team equality

Dennis added: "The proof of the pudding is in the eating. You could go back through the entire history of McLaren, you could talk to any driver that has driven for McLaren and you will not find anyone - save for one - who will not verify that this team always runs on the basis of equality and always will."

I beleive the reference is to FA, however, RD demonstrates the lack of candor which has made him famous, as I would think that Lauda might have a bit of disagreement with that....esp given all the stuff that went on, (car problems and such) and how at the last race, Mac had all these posters showing his team mate winning the WDC, but it turns out that did not quite happen........ :s mokin:

I think Ron suffers from MDD,

Memory Deficit Disorder

ArrowsFA1
4th August 2008, 09:28
Ron Dennis: "...this team always runs on the basis of equality and always will."

The problem is with the interpretation of equality. As an example, Ron would say that Lewis and Heikki were provided with eual equipment, and an equal opportunity, in Germany. The fact is Heikki was slower during that race. If people want to interpret that as 'team orders', or one driver being favoured over another, then nothing that Ron says or does will change that opinion.

leopard
4th August 2008, 09:42
It worries me that it hasn't yet completed. Drivers like Heikki or Felippe have the equal equipments with their teammate, they would have an equal opportunity particularly in races their teammate has smaller opportunity to win than them. ;)

Garry Walker
4th August 2008, 11:52
HK does not deserve a seat at a top team at all, he is not a great driver at all.

DexDexter
4th August 2008, 12:20
HK does not deserve a seat at a top team at all, he is not a great driver at all.

Well, he may not be good enough for you, but he's good enough for Mclaren and Renault, but obviously you have better insight than they do, don't you?

slinkster
4th August 2008, 12:25
I was really pleased and I must admit a bit relieved to hear this. I was getting a little worried about Heikki's seat since he's had a few disappointing races this year. However I think he's still got potential and I hope he'll get chance to demonstrate it with Mclaren. :)

aryan
4th August 2008, 14:50
Heikki has had very bad luck overall this year, he has had 3 races of DNF solely due to mechanical failure, i.e., not his fault. Yes, he has had a couple of disappointing races as well, but who doesn't? If had been a bit luckier with those DNFs, he would be up there among the top 4 in terms of points.

Obviously his win was a change of luck for him, good on him for grabbing his chance with both hands.

Now, with his contract sorted out for next year and having a safe seat, hopefully he can concentrate more on the job at hand and help McLaren in the WCC.

4th August 2008, 16:35
Ron Dennis: "...this team always runs on the basis of equality and always will."

Well yes, but then he also said....

http://www.autoracingdaily.com/news/alternative-fuel/ron_dennis_there_is_no_way_anything_incorrect_woul d_ever_happen_in_our_team/

So surely it's no big surprise that people have doubts about whatever passes his lips.

ioan
4th August 2008, 19:07
Well yes, but then he also said....

http://www.autoracingdaily.com/news/alternative-fuel/ron_dennis_there_is_no_way_anything_incorrect_woul d_ever_happen_in_our_team/

:rotflmao: :up:

ArrowsFA1
5th August 2008, 09:01
:rotflmao: :up:
Laugh away. The fact is Heikki was slower during the German GP. If people choose to interpret that as 'team orders', or one driver being favoured over another, then so be it.

Another fact is that Heikki has a new contract with McLaren because, as they have consistently maintained, he is doing a good job. As I said a number of times Heikiki would come good, and his win in Hungary will see him as a stronger, more confident driver in the races and seasons to come.

Considering that both drivers are only in their second seasons, McLaren have one of the strongest, if not the strongest, driver line-ups on the grid.

Shalafi
5th August 2008, 10:07
Laugh away. The fact is Heikki was slower during the German GP. If people choose to interpret that as 'team orders', or one driver being favoured over another, then so be it.

Its a team order because Lewis needed that to get past Heikki because he didnt get past him fairly by driving. In every race other teammate is quicker, other is slower. Due to qualifying, start, own mistake, mechanical failure or safety car, "slower" car might be (and many time is) in front of the "quicker" car.. So your view is that in those cases the "slower" car should move over every time and its not a "team order"? Or does it only apply when its about Lewis?

ArrowsFA1
5th August 2008, 11:01
In every race other teammate is quicker, other is slower. Due to qualifying, start, own mistake, mechanical failure or safety car, "slower" car might be (and many time is) in front of the "quicker" car.
I believe I said elsewhere that every decision made by a team during the course of a race weekend could be considered a team order, given that the FIA rule is so (deliberately) vague. The choice of tyres, fuel loads, when to pit etc etc etc are all decisions made by the teams that affect the outcome of the race.

So your view is that in those cases the "slower" car should move over every time and its not a "team order"?
That assumes that every case is the same, and the rule is clear. They're not, and it is not.

ShiftingGears
5th August 2008, 11:02
Its a team order because Lewis needed that to get past Heikki because he didnt get past him fairly by driving.

Tell me that Lewis wasn't going to get past Heikki without team orders.

Shalafi
5th August 2008, 11:06
Tell me that Lewis wasn't going to get past Heikki without team orders.

We will never know. ;) We can just speculate.