PDA

View Full Version : Wilson crash

icehammer97
31st July 2008, 21:58
Picked this off of an indycar.com message board

McDONALD’S DRIVER JUSTIN WILSON UNINJURED IN CRASH DURING TEST TODAY AT KENTUCKY SPEEDWAY

SPARTA, Kentucky (July 31, 2008) --- Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing driver Justin Wilson was uninjured during a crash at approx. 2:45 p.m. EDT today while participating in a one-day test at the 1.5-mile Kentucky Speedway from 2:00 to 10 p.m. It was the first test on an oval for the team since the pre-season test at Homestead-Miami Speedway March 24-25.

After completing an installation run and a subsequent pit stop to analyze the race car, Wilson returned to the track and was near the end of his first run when he lost control of the race car between Turns 1 and 2 and made contact with the Turn 2 wall. The car, a new chassis which made its racing debut in Watkins Glen where he started second, sustained an excessive amount of damage and is unlikely to be repaired in time for the IndyCar Series Meier Indy 300 race here on August 9. Wilson’s other McDonald’s race car is being driven by teammate Graham Rahal at this test while his No. 06 Hole in the Wall Camps race car is being repaired after being hit two separate times in Edmonton. Following are Wilson’s comments:

JUSTIN WILSON, driver of the No. 02 McDonald’s Dallara/Honda/Firestone: "I had run about eight or nine laps and was just up to speed and was in the middle of Turns 1 and 2 and suddenly I felt the car straightening out. It no longer went where I was steering. I’m not sure what broke but I had no steering and I was heading straight into the wall. Obviously I am disappointed because we didn’t even get any testing done and there is a lot of damage to my good race car that we had determined would be my road racing car. The plan was initially not to run it here or on the ovals in general and keep it as good as possible but Graham’s only car was damaged in Edmonton so he had to use my oval car at the test while his is being repaired. The new car was already proving to be faster and I was enjoying it but it didn’t last for long.”

The instant classic
31st July 2008, 22:26
Picked this off of an indycar.com message board

McDONALD’S DRIVER JUSTIN WILSON UNINJURED IN CRASH DURING TEST TODAY AT KENTUCKY SPEEDWAY

SPARTA, Kentucky (July 31, 2008) --- Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing driver Justin Wilson was uninjured during a crash at approx. 2:45 p.m. EDT today while participating in a one-day test at the 1.5-mile Kentucky Speedway from 2:00 to 10 p.m. It was the first test on an oval for the team since the pre-season test at Homestead-Miami Speedway March 24-25.

After completing an installation run and a subsequent pit stop to analyze the race car, Wilson returned to the track and was near the end of his first run when he lost control of the race car between Turns 1 and 2 and made contact with the Turn 2 wall. The car, a new chassis which made its racing debut in Watkins Glen where he started second, sustained an excessive amount of damage and is unlikely to be repaired in time for the IndyCar Series Meier Indy 300 race here on August 9. Wilson’s other McDonald’s race car is being driven by teammate Graham Rahal at this test while his No. 06 Hole in the Wall Camps race car is being repaired after being hit two separate times in Edmonton. Following are Wilson’s comments:

JUSTIN WILSON, driver of the No. 02 McDonald’s Dallara/Honda/Firestone: "I had run about eight or nine laps and was just up to speed and was in the middle of Turns 1 and 2 and suddenly I felt the car straightening out. It no longer went where I was steering. I’m not sure what broke but I had no steering and I was heading straight into the wall. Obviously I am disappointed because we didn’t even get any testing done and there is a lot of damage to my good race car that we had determined would be my road racing car. The plan was initially not to run it here or on the ovals in general and keep it as good as possible but Graham’s only car was damaged in Edmonton so he had to use my oval car at the test while his is being repaired. The new car was already proving to be faster and I was enjoying it but it didn’t last for long.”

and things like that is why i hate being a race fan at times,
but i hope everything will be ok for him, he was having a good year

gm99
1st August 2008, 10:08
and things like that is why i hate being a race fan at times,
but i hope everything will be ok for him, he was having a good year

A good year??? Apart from his podium finish last week-end, Wilson has had an absolutely dreadful year with plenty of incidents and mechanicl failures. For a driver who used to win races and run near the top of the championship throughout his Champ Car career, languishing down in 16th position in the IndyCar standings hardly qualifies for a good year.

But good to hear he wasn't injured in the crash...

The instant classic
1st August 2008, 11:58
A good year??? Apart from his podium finish last week-end, Wilson has had an absolutely dreadful year with plenty of incidents and mechanicl failures. For a driver who used to win races and run near the top of the championship throughout his Champ Car career, languishing down in 16th position in the IndyCar standings hardly qualifies for a good year.

But good to hear he wasn't injured in the crash...
could be wosre of a year, he could be wrecking every week like marco,
mechaicl failures i cant blame him on that, he does well till the car gives out

ChampUSfan
7th August 2008, 17:09
could be wosre of a year, he could be wrecking every week like marco,
mechaicl failures i cant blame him on that, he does well till the car gives out

Well, he doesn't have a great year...he's only 16th in the Standings. I guess he will be better in '09 cause he will "have the habit" to race on ovals.

The instant classic
7th August 2008, 17:13
Well, he doesn't have a great year...he's only 16th in the Standings. I guess he will be better in '09 cause he will "have the habit" to race on ovals.
i wolud say a great year better then most champcar guys have this year,
but i agree 2009 i think many driver will know how to race on ovals more. in 2009 i think the racing will be better,, and in 2010 with the new car everything will be right on track, cuz then most guys will understand the ovals more i hope

The instant classic
7th August 2008, 17:52
anyway i will replay some more later i need to work on my racing blog ;)

ChampUSfan
10th August 2008, 14:38
anyway i will replay some more later i need to work on my racing blog ;)

Interesting. You can give us the link of your blog so we can have a look

The instant classic
10th August 2008, 14:42
Interesting. You can give us the link of your blog so we can have a look
i can but not here, cuz i do go under some other name on indycar.com
and i come out on my blog and tell all why i made that name, and i really dont want many ppl to know that, but i give you a hint, the name of my blog is in your name there champ ;) lol

ChampUSfan
10th August 2008, 16:00
i can but not here, cuz i do go under some other name on indycar.com
and i come out on my blog and tell all why i made that name, and i really dont want many ppl to know that, but i give you a hint, the name of my blog is in your name there champ ;) lol

Funny hhahahahah cause a blog is never private...everything you write on, everyone can read it and know it!!

ChampUSfan
10th August 2008, 16:01
ok let's return to racing cause we are not here to talk about blogs...

The instant classic
10th August 2008, 16:01
Funny hhahahahah cause a blog is never private...everything you write on, everyone can read it and know it!!

true but i keep my blog very low key and knowone ever comes to my blog so
yeah :\

The instant classic
10th August 2008, 16:06
ok let's return to racing cause we are not here to talk about blogs...
we can but im kind of done here anyways
i have other things i want to try, and do, i wanted to try and make some review video on my facebook page, and such, and i want to spend time with my real friends so kind of done here i may do my picks , but the racing year is almost over so im done here see you all next year :)

MDS
10th August 2008, 16:29
Crashes like this are what I hate about open wheel racing on ovals. One tiny mistake or broken part can demolish a car, injure or kill your driver and you have no idea what caused it.

I think that wreck effectively killed any chance Justin had at making it into the top 10 this year.

The instant classic
10th August 2008, 17:15

open a private message champ, and message me msn, or whatever you like, i will give you my blog link, i dont like to post it over websites, last time i did that on the site i was on, someone hacked me :mark:

pitwall3
11th August 2008, 06:54
[quote="1

JUSTIN WILSON, driver of the No. 02 McDonald’s Dallara/Honda/Firestone: "I had run about eight or nine laps and was just up to speed and was in the middle of Turns 1 and 2 and suddenly I felt the car straightening out. It no longer went where I was steering. I’m not sure what broke but I had no steering and I was heading straight into the wall. Obviously I am disappointed because we didn’t even get any testing done and there is a lot of damage to my good race car that we had determined would be my road racing car. The plan was initially not to run it here or on the ovals in general and keep it as good as possible but Graham’s only car was damaged in Edmonton so he had to use my oval car at the test while his is being repaired. The new car was already proving to be faster and I was enjoying it but it didn’t last for long.”[/QUOTE"]

Me thinks they should start looking at the reliability of the the front suspension on these ---------s. There appears to be a problem. Happening for too frequently this year.

nigelred5
11th August 2008, 12:53
I still just feel bad for JW. He finally lands THE ride to have in Champcar, the #1 car at NHL, and bang, reunification pulls the rug out from under him. He would have been the clear favorite for the CC Championship this year. I have to say of all the drivers that lost out with mergification, even those that lost a ride totally, JW was the biggest loser.
Instead, it's been nothing but a tumultous year for NHL. Struggling with learing a new series and a different chassis. Now We are faced with the loss of a legend in American racing with no idea how that will affect the team in the oncoming years. I just hope the team will retain the current name and JW can get NHL back at the pointy end of the grid for 09. I was really hoping PN would see his team finally win one at Indy.

ChampUSfan
12th August 2008, 17:04
Crashes like this are what I hate about open wheel racing on ovals. One tiny mistake or broken part can demolish a car, injure or kill your driver and you have no idea what caused it.

I think that wreck effectively killed any chance Justin had at making it into the top 10 this year.

Totally agree. I also hate crashes. To be honest I don't understand ppl watching the IRL just to see a big crash. Totally stupid.

Did Justin raced with his backup car (I dont even know if he has one) ?

ChampUSfan
12th August 2008, 17:05
open a private message champ, and message me msn, or whatever you like, i will give you my blog link, i dont like to post it over websites, last time i did that on the site i was on, someone hacked me :mark:

I don't want your msn---sorry

ChampUSfan
12th August 2008, 17:07
I still just feel bad for JW. He finally lands THE ride to have in Champcar, the #1 car at NHL, and bang, reunification pulls the rug out from under him. He would have been the clear favorite for the CC Championship this year. I have to say of all the drivers that lost out with mergification, even those that lost a ride totally, JW was the biggest loser.
Instead, it's been nothing but a tumultous year for NHL. Struggling with learing a new series and a different chassis. Now We are faced with the loss of a legend in American racing with no idea how that will affect the team in the oncoming years. I just hope the team will retain the current name and JW can get NHL back at the pointy end of the grid for 09. I was really hoping PN would see his team finally win one at Indy.

I also hope they will keep the same team name. I'm also a fan of NHL hope they will retain JW for '09. Is he already under contract? any thoughts?

The instant classic
12th August 2008, 17:07
I don't want your msn---sorry
good :)

The instant classic
12th August 2008, 19:21
Totally agree. I also hate crashes. To be honest I don't understand ppl watching the IRL just to see a big crash. Totally stupid.

Did Justin raced with his backup car (I dont even know if he has one) ?
sad part is, thats why most fans watch racing. for the crashs,
i know when some drivers go on there roof, do you see some fans cheering?
to me for the fans that cheer when someone crashs, its crazy, cuz you dont know if that driver is ok,

for me i was in a car wreck when i was 6 years old, and for me it freak me out, and took a sometime,, for my body to getover what just happend,, and for the IRL drivers to take hard hits, and try and get yourself togerther, and have fans laugh or cheer on the wrecks is nuts!!

i say for the fans that come only for the crashs and robin miller cuz he seems to find it funny,, i say put them behind the weel and let them,, smack,, into a wall at 215mph, then lets see how much they enjoy the crash then,

and for justins car, i dont think hes got a back up car, i belive every ex champcar guy got handed 1 car for the year, something like that?

garyshell
12th August 2008, 22:06
sad part is, thats why most fans watch racing. for the crashs,

There are some, but certainly not "most".

Gary

The instant classic
12th August 2008, 22:08
There are some, but certainly not "most".

Gary
i was more pointing at nascar with that comment

garyshell
12th August 2008, 22:30
i was more pointing at nascar with that comment

I'll even go so far as to give you a higher number there, but still not "most".

Gary

The instant classic
12th August 2008, 22:35
I'll even go so far as to give you a higher number there, but still not "most".

Gary

i agree with you, but go to a dega race for nascar, and after the big wrecks, the fans are cheering it,

last year i went to a champcar race, and the fans that where,, standing around,, me couldnt,, even tell you who the drivers, where,, i have seen 3 types of race fans,,
1. the party fans, that dont care about racing they come to get drunk
2. fans that come to see the wrecks,
3. you me and others the real fans that come to see a great race :champion:

ykiki
13th August 2008, 00:32
I like watching sleek cars go screaming past - tv can never replicate the sheer sense of speed as a race car goes by. When I'm in that kind of mood, I often don't think of whether it was a "good race" or not. It was for me simply because I was there.

The sights, the smells, the sounds, the rumble or scream of the engine that you can actually feel in your body - those are just some of the reasons why I watch. A wreck? Not for me. That would only damage those magnificent machines. Or even worse, it could damage the skilled operators who get behind the wheel to provide me with the incredible delights that tingle my senses.