PDA

View Full Version : Volvo to enter WTCC full time?

AndySpeed
31st July 2008, 18:04
According to this week's Autosport, Volvo are looking at competing full-time in the 2009 WTCC.

It would be great to see this happen, the car is stunning looking and the WTCC could do with another manufacturer to make the grids look more interesting as, in my opinion, there are a few too many BMWs and SEATs.

Crucially, the small news story says "Derek Crabb has revealed he is close to announcing a 2009 programme with the C30, in addition to a continued attack on the Swedish Touring Car Championship. He refused to say whether this would be in the WTCC or in another dmoestic series."

Given the agreement between the BTCC and STCC it could still be possible that a couple make their way onto the UK scene next year...

Eurotech
31st July 2008, 21:28
I thought the C30 was not eligable for points in the WTCC so itd be a waste of time.

LiamM
31st July 2008, 22:02
I thought the C30 was not eligable for points in the WTCC so itd be a waste of time.

It needs to be fully homologated and to have special dispensations applied (its only 3 door), the FIA allowed it to race at Brands outside of the points as it wasnt FIA homologated - as they have done with the LADA this year. If they was to enter full time, this would take place

Eurotech
31st July 2008, 22:55
cant wait to see it racing - will it be a works enty in the WTCC or not or is this a stupid question because it has already been answered above?

VXRDartford
1st August 2008, 07:59
cant wait to see it racing - will it be a works enty in the WTCC or not or is this a stupid question because it has already been answered above?

It is not answered above but the person from Volvo being quoted is the Volvo motorsports director and the team that ran the C30 at Brands are the offical Volvo sanctioned team so it would be a works effort.

SEATFreak
1st August 2008, 08:06

I don't know. Polestar ran Robert Dahlgren's Volvo at Brands and will run a second alongside Robert for Tommy Rustad at Monza. Do you think if Polestar are going to run the Volvo's (possibly and/or likely to be WTCC) next year Volvo will be a works team?

Whether or not Volvo will be a works team it will be great having two new marquees to look forward to seeing next year; what with Toyota looking set to enter with Philip Geipel's Geipel Motorsport with Philip in one Auris and an un-named teammate in another.

On the homologation issue, though Volvo will have to be homologated as Lada's were, as far as I am aware it will be because of different issued. With Lada it was the intake and outlet ports on the cylinder heads that did not conform to the regs. With Volvo, again as far as I am aware, it will be as much to do with the fact they run bio-ethanol. Last year at Anderstorp I am sure Dahlgren couldn't score points because it was bio-ethanol.

VXRDartford
1st August 2008, 10:10
it is because it is run on biofuel which will become standard next year and also it is 3 door which would have to be approved by the wtcc.

It is also built under the swedish national s2000 regs so it would have to be built to the wtcc s2000 regs to be eligable

AndySpeed
1st August 2008, 11:41
I don't know. Polestar ran Robert Dahlgren's Volvo at Brands and will run a second alongside Robert for Tommy Rustad at Monza. Do you think if Polestar are going to run the Volvo's (possibly and/or likely to be WTCC) next year Volvo will be a works team?

Volvo already are a works team. Polestar are much like your Triple Eight Engineering for Vauxhall or Northern South to SEAT - still a works entry.

VkmSpouge
1st August 2008, 16:21
Well that article doesn't just say WTCC, it also has any other domestic championship, could be the Danish Touring Cars.

Eurotech
2nd August 2008, 22:40
could be the british touring cars - now that WOULD be good :D

Marshall
3rd August 2008, 08:06
I would love to see Volvo back in the BTCC.

I think that these S2000 regulations are really starting to get some momentum now.

SEATFreak
3rd August 2008, 09:11
I would love to see Volvo back in the BTCC.

Sadly you may not get to se your wish. Though I am reasonably confident we will have Independent Volvo's in the BTCC, purchased by teams the calibre of Motorbase and Team Eurotech from the STCC before long. Watching the ITV4 coverage of the WTCC race from Brands Hatch after the repeat of the 3 BTCC races from Oulton Park I head the commentator mention Volvo were very keen on a programme in the WTCC. What he said is vague so whether or not he said exactly, and whether or not he had any hard and reliable source to make that statement, I am not so sure.

But I am sure he said a programme in the WTCC.

Marshall
3rd August 2008, 14:37
I'd be happy with them anywhere. The more manufacturer support in touring car racing, the better. And as you alluded to, the more cars built, the further they'll spread in domestic series.

c8nay
5th August 2008, 01:01
I head the commentator mention Volvo were very keen on a programme in the WTCC. What he said is vague so whether or not he said exactly, and whether or not he had any hard and reliable source to make that statement, I am not so sure.

But I am sure he said a programme in the WTCC.

I know Cleland said something about talking to other Volvo Dealers about trying to get the money together to fund a programme in the BTCC. Don't know how serious they are, but he was certainly enthusiastic about the Volvo all weekend (I'm sure his Volvo Dealership had nothing to do with that though!).

SEATFreak
5th August 2008, 08:17
I know Cleland said something about talking to other Volvo Dealers about trying to get the money together to fund a programme in the BTCC. Don't know how serious they are, but he was certainly enthusiastic about the Volvo all weekend (I'm sure his Volvo Dealership had nothing to do with that though!).

Cleland? As in John Cleland? What influence does he have in the Swedish marquee that he could be the brains behind a works BTCC team?

It would be simply awesome for me to see an experienced driver running a team in the series where he made his name but how is he involved in Volvo exactly?

AndySpeed
5th August 2008, 11:52
John Cleland runs a Volvo dealership up in Scotland - http://www.clelandvolvo.co.uk/

SEATFreak
5th August 2008, 13:54
John Cleland runs a Volvo dealership up in Scotland - http://www.clelandvolvo.co.uk/

Wonder if any of his staff could be used. I mean I am sure smaller teams are composed of personnel aquired from dealerships. Though if a works team I would imagine actual professional personnel could be brought in if the money is there to do it.

According to the "people" link on the website his boy Niki is a technician along with Chris Bell. And Phil Milligan and Jimmy McGovern are Master Technicians. I wonder if they could be used as technicians in the team. Be nice to think we could have yet another father and son working in the same BTCC team. But according to the "heritage" link Niki and another son in Jamie, are also racing. So am I the only one who thinks it would it be even nicer again to think Jamie, and not just Niki, could be given the role of the drivers instead of pit crew if their dad is running the team?

MBailey06
5th August 2008, 15:32
Its a nice idea but lets not get too ahead of ourselves here, its just a rumour and until there is more concrete evidence its harder to make judgement on it.

rob01
5th August 2008, 16:50
just wanted to say i think it would be great to have another manufacturer involved.