PDA

View Full Version : road safety even the best s***f up

CNR
31st July 2008, 08:38
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1040035/F1-superstar-Michael-Schumacher-hits-pedestrian-overtaking-elderly-driver-van.html

F1 superstar Michael Schumacher hits pedestrian while overtaking elderly driver in his van

"The last thing you expect on a quiet afternoon is to be run over by Michael Schumacher - it was unbelievable,' Mr Kingham, 39, told the Daily Mirror:

'He came from behind me to overtake two old ladies in a little Fiat. The first thing I knew I was flat on my face after the collision.

'When I realised who had hit me I thought I had concussion.'

ioan
31st July 2008, 10:10
I'll wait for a clear cut on the story because this one is looking a bit overcomplicated.
However if true it doesn't look good for Schumi.

Mark
31st July 2008, 10:16
Hmm, strange one. From the look if it he was in a Land Hand Drive van. Considering he was going from Silverstone to Kent I don't know why that would be the case. Unless the photo is of something else entirely?

What the article is very vague about (the entire thing doesn't say much) is if the ped was on the pavement or the road when Schumi clipped him.

Knock-on
31st July 2008, 10:21
He probably thought the pedestrian looked like Damon Hill :laugh:

ioan
31st July 2008, 10:38
Hmm, strange one. From the look if it he was in a Land Hand Drive van. Considering he was going from Silverstone to Kent I don't know why that would be the case. Unless the photo is of something else entirely?

The picture says it's from a Fiat advert, the van also has Italian registration numbers. ;)

What the article is very vague about (the entire thing doesn't say much) is if the ped was on the pavement or the road when Schumi clipped him.

Yeah, the guy claims he was putting some kind of bars on his garage door and that he was standing on the edge of the road, and that he then landed on the engine cover of some other parked car! A strange story.

I suppose if any of this is true we will get a press release from MS press people soon enough.

ioan
31st July 2008, 10:40
He probably thought the pedestrian looked like Damon Hill :laugh:

Actually he's looking more like Martin Brundle! :laugh:

Viktory
31st July 2008, 11:48
apparently it wasn't Shumi's van that clipped him "Martin Kingham was clipped by Schumacher ass he was closing his garage" :p

GridGirl
31st July 2008, 13:13
BBC are now reporting on it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/7534890.stm

Glad the guy is OK, but why is Michael Schumacher driving around Kent in a van, you'd think he'd want something a little racier :s

Dave B
31st July 2008, 13:32
... why is Michael Schumacher driving around Kent in a van...
He'd probably just been to Calais on a beer run! :p

harsha
31st July 2008, 14:31
A spokesman for the seven-time Formula 1 world champion confirmed the incident had taken place and that Schumacher had co-operated with police.

oh well...seems like an accident

CNR
31st July 2008, 23:34
other reports are that
http://wot.motortrend.com/6270643/auto-news/as-the-schumi-turns-michael-schumacher-hits-pedestrian-briton-unharmed/index.html

Schumacher was overtaking a slower car in his Fiat van in the town of Lydd and hit the end of a closing gate. Auto dealership owner Martin Kingham was struck by the smashed gate and was sent "spinning" on to the hood of an adjacent car.

you have to wonder if the gate was out on the road when it was hit.

marshman
1st August 2008, 02:04
Narrow road, no pavement, , MS overtaking another car in 30 mph zone hit a pole the car dealer was using to secure the front of his premises.

Considering MS is the German member of the commission for global road safety and is quoted as saying "All drivers make mistakes, even the most skilled, and the key point is to try to make sure that the consequences of human error are not fatal." Well MS you got that one right.

He goes on "We need to make people aware of the real human cost of road traffic injuries. Five hundred children are dying every day and thousands more are being disabled or injured. This is why I support the campaign to Make Roads Safe.” Well practise what you preach, overtaking in a 30mph zone on a narrow road that you are not familar with is to say the least irresponsible, you could have killed the guy.

tinchote
1st August 2008, 03:03
Narrow road, no pavement, , MS overtaking another car in 30 mph zone hit a pole the car dealer was using to secure the front of his premises.

Considering MS is the German member of the commission for global road safety and is quoted as saying "All drivers make mistakes, even the most skilled, and the key point is to try to make sure that the consequences of human error are not fatal." Well MS you got that one right.

He goes on "We need to make people aware of the real human cost of road traffic injuries. Five hundred children are dying every day and thousands more are being disabled or injured. This is why I support the campaign to Make Roads Safe.” Well practise what you preach, overtaking in a 30mph zone on a narrow road that you are not familar with is to say the least irresponsible, you could have killed the guy.

You could have also registered to criticize Gilles Villeneuve, o Jacques Villenueve, Juan Pablo Montoya, or any other of all the F1 that have been seen/caught doing more than 200km/h on public roads ;)

ioan
1st August 2008, 08:09
Well, maybe he could have payed more attention.
Te question is if he was going over the 30 mph limit?
Or did he overtake in a dangerous spot?
Or did the other guy make sure he can stick his barrier out over the road when he did it?
For me it seems the other guy wasn't really in control of his barrier when everything happened. Otherwise I doubt that the Police would have left MS out of the hook just like that when someone was harmed as a consequence of the accident.

gm99
1st August 2008, 10:23
...seems like an accident

Well, what else should it be? Even though I'm not MS's biggest fan, I don't expect him to drive around England deliberately attacking shopowners ;)

Anyway, shouldn't this thread be moved to the "History" section, like all the other MS topics?

Knock-on
1st August 2008, 11:09
This has nothing to do with F1 really. It's just that it's a ex driver.

People have accidents every day regardless of what their former profession was. If he was breaking the law, he will answer to the Law. If not, it is a simple accident which is why we have insurance.

Nothing to see here. move on :D