PDA

View Full Version : So do you remember what your first car was??

Dan Eaves Fan
28th January 2007, 15:03
this was my first car Mini Neon 998cc. i was so proud to be a owner of a classic. sadly i had to sell becuase she started rusting quite badly and couldnt afford to repair her.

What was your first car??

agwiii
28th January 2007, 15:45
Everyone remembers their first! :D My Sprite had the all too typical axle snapping problem. It's demise was a shifter fault that cause 2nd gear and 3rd gear to engage at the same time. Of course, that locked everything up solid. It was in the rain, making a left turn, and ...

Ian McC
28th January 2007, 17:27
:eek:

I believe it was one of these!

BeansBeansBeans
28th January 2007, 17:44
1987 Ford Fiesta MkII. A bit like this one...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d3/Fiestamk2.jpg/250px-Fiestamk2.jpg

GridGirl
28th January 2007, 17:50
A white 1990 1.1 Renault 5 that sounded like a tractor until it warmed up. I can't fathom now how I used to drive a car without power steering!

Iain
29th January 2007, 07:05
:eek:

I believe it was one of these!

What is that? Is it an NSU rotary-engined car?

Mark
29th January 2007, 08:07
I remember the first car I owned very well indeed. In fact I should do, I drove it to work this morning :p

First car I drove was a Rover Metro diesel, horrible thing, with a horrible driving instructor. Only had two lessons before I fired him and got a new instructor with a Nissan Micra petrol, that was back in the days before Micras went all curvey.

ArrowsFA1
29th January 2007, 10:09
The first car I ever drove was a Morris Minor just like this one:
http://www.morrisminorclinic.co.uk/images/thumb_white_restored.jpg
The first I ever had use of as a qualified driver was a Citroen Dyane like this one:
http://motoprop.co.za/vimages/CitroenDyaneGreen.jpg

And the first car I ever owned was a Triumph Toledo like this:
http://www.triumphdolomite.co.uk/triumphpics/toledo.jpg

After that came a Honda Accord, Fiat Panda, Fiat Uno, Honda Civic. Volvo 480ES, 2 Ford Fiesta XR2's, Mazda MX3 and now a Mazda MX5.

:s mokin:

AndyRAC
29th January 2007, 11:49
First car was a Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus, 1981, actually not a bad car, could've done with a 5th gear though.

LotusElise
29th January 2007, 13:10
Love your old cars, Arrows! I've got a soft spot for anyhing BMC so your Minor is perfect!

ArrowsFA1
29th January 2007, 13:29
"Bumble", as the Minor was known, was a lovely car and a family treasure. It had belonged to my Grandfather who had previously had a black split screen example, and I remember him selling that and going to the garage with him to collect the white replacement. When he died some years later my mother took over the car and, very bravely, later allowed my sister and me to learn to drive in it. "Bumble" survived those experiences somehow and spent a quieter time in Bath with my parents. Sadly she had to be sold, and we learned later that she had her roof removed and was made into a convertible, only to be written off in an accident soon afterwards.

Ian McC
29th January 2007, 21:18
What is that? Is it an NSU rotary-engined car?

Yes it was! Someone got it for me, actually it ran ok, until I managed to break it :(

schmenke
29th January 2007, 22:47
...sadly i had to sell becuase she started rusting quite badly...

Perhaps you should have parked it elsewhere... :erm:

CarlMetro
30th January 2007, 01:15
First car I ever drove was an Austin 1100 that belonged to my Mum, then a Morris Marina 1.3 Coupe.

The first car I owned was a 1985 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6L. It was a four-door saloon in midnight blue and only had four gears.

Sirius
30th January 2007, 01:50
It was a 1974 Fiat 124 Sport Spider.

Great little car and loads of fun to drive!

Sirius

Tazio
30th January 2007, 03:03
My first car was a 1965 Corvair Monza. Black with red interior. I bought it from my boss in 1971 for $300.00. It was in really good shape. Not for long however! I used to scare the Cr@p out of my friends getting that thing sideways, and usinng the sidewalk curbs fors turning assistance. alot of fun!

Dan Eaves Fan
1st February 2007, 18:52
Perhaps you should have parked it elsewhere... :erm:

I had no were else to park it. limited space in my drive way with an added swimming pool as you can see from the pic. lol

Captain VXR
1st February 2007, 19:27
No space on the street?

Donney
2nd February 2007, 10:13
My first car was a sister to this, and by the way it was one of the first examples of Hybrid motoring. How come? You would ask, well it had a whole in the floor so if I didn't want to pollute more than necessary it could be driven a la Flinstone :p :

Sadly I had to get rid of her because I could not pay the insurance anymore.

mate
2nd February 2007, 11:52
My first car was Holden genimi

GARYGAZZA
2nd February 2007, 19:41
My first car was a 1966 Austin 1100.Comfortable car but was forever brazing plates in it(Brazing was a legal repair for m.o.t test then)

captin 1 VXR
3rd February 2007, 08:18
http://www.m3e30.se/bilder/m3_89_his.jpg :D :D one of the best cars i had from new :s mokin:

XR8
3rd February 2007, 08:32
Why do you guys drive so small cars. My first car was a 1956 Dodge Kingsway complete with 250 cubic inch sidevalve six.Did about 6 mpg as I remember and used about a litre of oil every week.Thats when I could afford to drive it.We used to take up a collection for fuel on the weekends and drive until we used it up.

Captain VXR
3rd February 2007, 08:38
http://www.m3e30.se/bilder/m3_89_his.jpg :D :D one of the best cars i had from new :s mokin:

:s mokin: Amazing first car.

captin 1 VXR
3rd February 2007, 08:46
well when u start work at 15 and it was the building boom .. lets say i took more home in my pay packet than . than i do in 2 weeks now ... .and pulling power with the girls was cool . she got writen off after some young muppet wanted to park his metro turbo in the boot .. other wise i would still have her

speedy king
5th February 2007, 01:13
Erm.......your 18 mate..... when was this last week? :s

My mate has just bought a 1982 1.4 Vauxhall Chevette :p : I've got a 95 Peugeot 306 1.9 D-Turbo Sport

speedy king
5th February 2007, 01:15
Why do you guys drive so small cars. My first car was a 1956 Dodge Kingsway complete with 250 cubic inch sidevalve six.Did about 6 mpg as I remember and used about a litre of oil every week.Thats when I could afford to drive it.We used to take up a collection for fuel on the weekends and drive until we used it up.

It's called UK daylight robbery (i.e car insurance) :(

Dan Eaves Fan
5th February 2007, 19:03
No space on the street?

no i have my own private drive but doesnt have alot of space.

captin 1 VXR
5th February 2007, 19:28
Erm.......your 18 mate..... when was this last week? :s

i am 35 but never put my real b day down unless its a a law required form :D i was born in 72 :(

schmenke
5th February 2007, 20:16

I fondly remember one of our family cars that my dad purchased second hand way back when... A 1976 Ford LTD station wagon. The thing was a beast! 400 c.in. V-8 engine! I don't know what it weighed, but it wasn't much less than a Sherman tank :D . I took about 37 minutes to go from 0 to 60, but once up there it cruised along nicely at 75mph (you just had to plan the service stations well in advance :D ).

It also seated 8 (yes, 8) comfortably, and in a pinch you could squeeze in another two kids or circus midgets :D , and have room to spare for luggage :s hock: