PDA

View Full Version : Alipne rally - Rallye des alpes - competition numbers

Gerbil
28th January 2007, 12:32
Hi,

I am a new boy, but wondered if anybody could suggest a source of information about numbers carried by cars in this rally in the 1950-60's.

I have a old rusty Rallye des Alpes plate which bears a Union Jack in the centre and has the number 67, but no year is mentioned on the plate. I found the plate in a hedge when I was a kid, probably in the late 1950's. I have tried unsuccessfully to find lists of competitors for the various years to try to find a British entry numbered 67.

Any information would be welcome.

FAL
28th January 2007, 17:32
Do you mean the "Coupe des Alpes"? If so can you speak/write French? Forum Auto (Rallyes Historiqes section) has a thread "Plaques des 50s et 60s" about exactly this sort of thing. If not, can you post a photo ?

Gerbil
28th January 2007, 18:37
Re: Coupe des Alpes, I don't know. My plate says Rallye des Alpes. I can muddle through in French, so will try to look where you suggest . Were you referring to me sending the French site a picture?

FAL
28th January 2007, 21:52
Try asking on:
http://www.forum-auto.com/sport-auto/theme40/sujet378146-175.htm

I'm not sure if it originally had the name "Rallye des Alpes" - maybe, if it's that old. Certainly the national flag used to be on competitors' plates on the Coupe des Alpes. You could post on here or on the Rally History thread (two or three people on here use Forum auto as well) but if anyone knows, the guys on the Forum auto "Plaques" thread will.

Gerbil
30th January 2007, 17:14
Thanks for link.
Just to clarify matters , the lettering on my plate is :- on the upper part, Automobile Club de Marseille Provence and then the number and flag, then lower part, Rallye International des Alpes. It has a pale blue background, with white lettering, but is somwhat rusty. The back is much greener, suggesting that the front has faded.

I guess that I will have to translate all this into French now!

FAL
30th January 2007, 22:25
That sounds interesting - I believe it was called "Rallye des Alpes" in early
50s. If it has AC M et P it sounds the real thing. Post a photo on that site if possible - suggest the "Plaques" thread although they have a "Coupe des Alpes " thread too. I will look in. Bernard ("Berfarigoulette") seems to be the French Alpine Rally expert.
This would also probably be better on the "Rally History" thread in the WRC section of this forum, although that thread has a tradition of statistics rather than more general questions - hence the suggestion of Forum Auto.

FAL
14th February 2007, 17:26
The guys on Forum auto have been standing by and expressing interest - any photo for them yet? (it will be 1957 or earlier, as you have described it).