PDA

View Full Version : Briatore says F1 needs an overhaul

ArrowsFA1
29th July 2008, 12:29
Renault team boss Flavio Briatore believes Formula One needs an overhaul in order to satisfy the fans and get the teams to have a bigger say.
The Italian also feels the sport is hurting due to Max Mosley focusing on his personal problems.
"His absence is felt as there's no project for F1. The teams feel abandoned," Briatore told Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper.
Speaking about the issues Formula One is facing, Briatore said: "The Concorde agreement, the number of races, the costs, the spectacle, the imperative increase of revenues. Formula One needs to be re-designed.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69508

Throughout his time in F1 Briatore has consistently commented on the need for the sport to focus more on the fans, and he's saying it again. The meeting taking place at Maranello today should be interesting...

cosmicpanda
29th July 2008, 12:36
the teams feel abandoned?

Weren't they going to break away from him at one stage?

AndyRAC
29th July 2008, 12:46
It needs to remember it's supposed to be a sport. And entertainment. Of course technology mustn't be forgotten about, but sometimes it concentrates too much on being the 'pinnacle'.

Valve Bounce
29th July 2008, 13:39
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69508

Throughout his time in F1 Briatore has consistently commented on the need for the sport to focus more on the fans, and he's saying it again. The meeting taking place at Maranello today should be interesting...

You left out the bit about Bernie taking 50% of the money.

ArrowsFA1
29th July 2008, 13:52
The link's there for everyone to read the full article :) Briatore also says "The problem is that us, Renault, have stuck to the letter of the current regulations on frozen engines, and we've been buggered: others didn't do that and are far ahead" so he's covered quite a few topics :eek:

29th July 2008, 14:07
Briatore also says "The problem is that us, Renault, have stuck to the letter of the current regulations on frozen engines, and we've been buggered: others didn't do that and are far ahead"

That was the bit that got my attention.

ioan
29th July 2008, 15:19

Thanks for pointing that out VB! :)
Lately, well since last June, Arrows concentrates a lot on criticizing Max while protecting Bernie! I'm curious what might have happened last June in order to trigger such a behavior? :D

Dave B
29th July 2008, 15:32
Briatore also says "The problem is that us, Renault, have stuck to the letter of the current regulations on frozen engines, and we've been buggered: others didn't do that and are far ahead"

The FIA have begun the annual process of checking engines, starting with McLaren.

If they find nothing wrong then either the FIA are incompetent or, heaven forbid, Briatore's talking round spherical objects.

I know where my money is...

ioan
29th July 2008, 15:33
Briatore also says "The problem is that us, Renault, have stuck to the letter of the current regulations on frozen engines, and we've been buggered: others didn't do that and are far ahead" so he's covered quite a few topics :eek:

This is strange.
Or maybe not so strange given that it was reported that a team, not a front runner, complained and as a result the FIA are investigating Hamilton's engine.

Let's see what else happens.

As for the money, Mosley already made it clear that the new Concorde Agreement will go through only if Bernie takes less money in the future.

ArrowsFA1
29th July 2008, 16:17
Lately, well since last June, Arrows concentrates a lot on criticizing Max while protecting Bernie! I'm curious what might have happened last June in order to trigger such a behavior? :D
FFS, read the title of the thread and the contents of the link provided ioan :rolleyes:

ioan
29th July 2008, 16:43
FFS, read the title of the thread and the contents of the link provided ioan :rolleyes:

I did! I also read what you quoted in the first post, about Max not doing his job as FIA president because he has to focus on his personal problems.

ArrowsFA1
29th July 2008, 16:49
I did! I also read what you quoted in the first post, about Max not doing his job as FIA president because he has to focus on his personal problems.
Which came directly from the first few paragraphs of the Autosport article, which in turn related to what Flavio Briatore was quoted as saying.

My comments about the article related to Briatore's wish to see F1 doing more for the fans.

gloomyDAY
29th July 2008, 17:13
I'm not the biggest fan on Flavio, but let 'em have it!

Finally, someone with the temerity to stand up to the shenanigans in F1.

Mickey T
29th July 2008, 18:10
i'd give his engine comments more cred if renault's engine customer wasn't regularly outqualifying - and outracing - them.

that indicates the rest of the renault people aren't doing enough with the engine they have.

you don't often see toro rosso outqualifying ferrari, after all.

Bezza
29th July 2008, 19:54
There is nowt wrong with F1. Every season since the boring 2004 season has been an improvement. A lot of this is to do with the loss of Schumacher and his dominance. But the racing is better now and more open, and with the new rules for 2009 it will open up even more.

I am against anything like reverse-grids and two races a day for F1.

ioan
29th July 2008, 22:22
There is nowt wrong with F1. Every season since the boring 2004 season has been an improvement. A lot of this is to do with the loss of Schumacher and his dominance. But the racing is better now and more open, and with the new rules for 2009 it will open up even more.

:up:

Lemmy-Boy
29th July 2008, 22:46
Flavio is right. Changes need to be made.

Despite the fact more teams can challenge for a win, F1 still needs an overhaul. With little on track passing, along with a processional line up throughout a given race, F1 is still equivalent to watching paint dry on my living room wall.

Yes, F1 is the pinnacle of racing technology. Unfortunately, all this technology means jack $h*t when it comes to entertaining race fans, who pay a lot of money to see all this technology go around in circles.

Valve Bounce
30th July 2008, 00:05

I suspect Arrows gets 5% commission on the 50%, don't you? :p :

Valve Bounce
30th July 2008, 00:07
Which came directly from the first few paragraphs of the Autosport article, which in turn related to what Flavio Briatore was quoted as saying.

My comments about the article related to Briatore's wish to see F1 doing more for the fans.

HaHaHa!!! ioan's got you riled. :p :

jso1985
30th July 2008, 00:30
I don't trust Briatore much when it comes to change F1, in the end he's just a bussinessman that stated some 20 years ago he's no that much interested in the sport.

But hey! I'm in for any improvements as long as they are not "artificial", ie reverse grids, success ballast and other crap that makes other categories "more interesting"

Rollo
30th July 2008, 01:27
I don't trust Briatore much when it comes to change F1, in the end he's just a bussinessman that stated some 20 years ago he's no that much interested in the sport.

Que?

Briatore has had his fingers in pies at Benetton, Renault, Ligier and Minardi; has sold rebadged Renault engines to Williams, Benetton, BAR and Arrows; also has shaped and directed the careers of Schumacher, Alonso, Webber, Kovalainen, and Trulli.
Not that much interested?

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/f1-information/whos-who/whos-who-b/flavio-briatore/

"All the team owners are orientated towards the technical side rather than the entertainment side, and this is a big fault. Every meeting that I go to, people are talking about pistons and suspensions. Nobody goes to a race to see that kind of thing… People come to see Schumacher and Senna racing each other." - Flav - 1994 :eek:

He realises that people will be interested if it's a sport, and as a result, his job is more secure. I don't see this latest round of comments as being particularly out of character at all.

ArrowsFA1
30th July 2008, 08:03
HaHaHa!!! ioan's got you riled. :p :
Absolutely right Valve, although ****** off may be more accurate (along the lines of I am sick and tired of ioans nagging about cheaters (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128434)) ;)

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/f1-information/whos-who/whos-who-b/flavio-briatore/
- Flav - 1994 :eek:

He realises that people will be interested if it's a sport, and as a result, his job is more secure. I don't see this latest round of comments as being particularly out of character at all.
Indeed, they're very much in character. Perhaps Flav's experience of selling jumpers for Benetton before he came to F1 has given him a perspective that other team owners don't have.

Knock-on
30th July 2008, 10:52
I tend to take most things Flav says with a pinch of salt as he does tend to pontificate a bit.

If you sift through the crap, you do see little hidden gems though.

All this bluff and bull about engines detracts from the real issues he addresses.

ioan
30th July 2008, 10:56
Those who want excitement and suspense and so on better go to Indycar or CART or whatever it's called nowadays, and take Briatorre with you.
I'm interested about the technology in F1.

wedge
30th July 2008, 11:32

What about 2003? 2004 was 'boring' because Ferrari had the strongest car but most people tend to forget there was good races and competitive for the rest of the field.

It's wasn't that long ago that McLaren would veto anything the Technical Working Group came up with, on the grounds it would diminish F1 being the pinnacle.

Over the past few years we've seen changes for long life components, cost cutting, more driver skill, overtaking.

IMHO there's something not quite right with Flavio. Probably covering up the real issue of the next Concorde agreement.

Then again F1 needs people like Flav to give F1/FIA a kick up the backside and keep the elitism in check.

ioan
30th July 2008, 12:23
IMHO there's something not quite right with Flavio. Probably covering up the real issue of the next Concorde agreement.

Yep, covering his footy business partner, Bernie!

ArrowsFA1
30th July 2008, 12:37
Yep, covering his footy business partner, Bernie!
Well he does seem to be complaining that "Ecclestone takes 50% of all revenues". Mind you, all that money may come in handy for Ian Dowie and QPR this year :p

Big Ben
31st July 2008, 21:28
I very good step forward for f1 in general would be if this leech would pack his bags and hit the road.