PDA

View Full Version : Tom Chilton

ATF
28th July 2008, 09:44
Just wondered what everyone thinks of Chilton's performances this season, and particularly yesterday?

The race 3 accident was clearly his fault but I'm not sure why Ted Kravitz was having such a pop at him after race 1 - I'd say the collision with Turner in race 1 was a racing incident. If anything, Turner was a bit naive to think Chilton wouldn't come back up the inside and he shouldn't have tried to cut across him before he was completely in front! With the advantage SEAT have in a straight line, if DT had hung on around the outside, he would have been able to get ahead of Chilton before the hairpin anyway!

A couple of years back, after the 2004/05 seasons, I thought sticking him in the VX would really boost his career, but if anything he doesn't seem to be able to perform as well in the top teams. I know TD aren't really having the best of seasons but he should be doing better than 10th, shouldn't he?

jackmarsh
28th July 2008, 10:32
I wondered when this subject would come up.

No doubt that yesterday race 3 was a poor mistake, and I'm sure Tom would put his hands up. Race 1 I think was a racing move, Matt Neal has done that all his career.

Regarding where Tom is in his career. VXR was a disaster for him, lost all his confidence, messed his head up somewhat, but won't go into details.

With Team Halfords, he is enjoying it again, by his own recognition he has had a poor first half of the season, he has gone and is going to many lengths to rectify this, not just on the racing side of things, but also physically and mentally.

Since the six week gap he has had a third and a second, a puncture when running in second, a mixed race (race 2 yest), a silly mistake and a drive from the back of the grid (race 3 snett) - I think putting race 3 aside from yesterday his driving performances and certainly qualifying is a vast improvement on the first half of the season. When he gets it mentally right he will be good, bust consistency is the key!

I hope he can get a win under his belt, and then we may see a completely different TC.

VXRDartford
28th July 2008, 12:57
Even the comentators were fed up with him in the last race. Can't remember the exact quote but neither were surprised he cause the accident in race 3.

Not a fan of him myself has not really shown any sort of good form since he raced the older Civic. Would not be surprised if A. Jordan got his drive

SEATFreak
28th July 2008, 13:32
Not a fan of him myself has not really shown any sort of good form since he raced the older Civic. Would not be surprised if A. Jordan got his drive

Nor am I. And everyones knows what I am like as far as judgement is concerned. :D

I don't think he has ever shown any sort of good form in any car - let alone the old spec Civic. Most surprisingly for me in a factory Vaxuall. Feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong but I just think if you perform poorly in terms of points and results in a Vauxhall like seemed to do in the two years he was with then, can you really perform well in most other cars?

Was never really what I would call a consistent high finisher I know that for sure. He only finished in the top 5 seven times out of the thirty races last year. And in 2006 he finished in the top 5 nine of the thirty races.

I see him being replaced for sure. Whether it is Andy Jordan remains to be seen. I think TD could go for Stephen Kane.

#1JamesThompsonFan
28th July 2008, 13:48
I see him being replaced for sure. Whether it is Andy Jordan remains to be seen. I think TD could go for Stephen Kane.

Why not Adam Jones? Jones all ready can race front wheel cars and will be on the pace straight away. No doubt, Kane has very much excelled recently, but for my money, Jones has performed all year.

VX_Rules
28th July 2008, 13:49
I don't think the Jordans will split next year, I think personally AJordan got the drive in the Civic at Snett Test was because I'd imagine the Jordans would want S2000 cars for next season...

But Chilton, I really don't know whats happening to him, He's becoming a liability, and making silly moves like Plato (What was he doing to poor George at the back of the field?!) And he's even begining to talk the talk like Plato too.

I agree with how the comentators were getting fed up, I'm sure Harvey almost swore at one point. :?

It will be interesting for next season as I can see alot of drivers getting dropped.

For example don't even get me started on Jelley......

wedge
28th July 2008, 14:15
I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt at VXR but this year we've seen the limits of his talent and the strength in depth now in BTCC

jackmarsh
28th July 2008, 14:35
they are some valid points here, firstly I think Jones is worthy of a 'works' drive, who it would be with is anyone's guess.

Im not too sure what SeatFreak is talking about saying he didn't see any talent from Chilton in the old Civic, he won an award in 2005 for his performances in that car!

I belive that the talent is there, it is harnessing it and putting everything into the right direction. Turkington was less than impressive in his year at Vauxhall, yet nobody would say he is not talented.

I'm not defending Tom as I believe he hasn't performed to his ability this season, I'm also pretty sure he will get disciplined regarding the move in race 3. prob a grid deduction and points on racing licence.

However since the mid season break his qualifying and racing - bar race 3 yesterday - has been much improved.

Spyder
28th July 2008, 14:59
I think Tom is getting desperate and has lost it a bit. It must be very frustrating after having many years in top cars and never finishing very high in the championship and then seeing new drivers like Adam Jones and Andrew Jordan coming in on tight budgets and doing so well. It would probably do him good if he had a season out and drove in something like ALMS or ELMS, he has the funds for it. Personally I would like to see him in a one make series like Clios or Seats to see how he would fare but I cannot see him doing that.

AndySpeed
28th July 2008, 17:12
I don't think the Jordans will split next year, I think personally AJordan got the drive in the Civic at Snett Test was because I'd imagine the Jordans would want S2000 cars for next season...

Agreed, especially since Andy Jordan is one of the few full time employees of Team Eurotech...

VkmSpouge
28th July 2008, 19:47
Chilton has picked up pace in the second half of the season but needs consistency.

AndyRAC
29th July 2008, 07:54
While he's not the only one, some of the driving standards leave a lot to be desired. Isn't it meant to be 'Racing' - not a 'Destruction Derby'. I know we want entertainment, but I don't class ramming people off the track as racing.

SEATFreak
29th July 2008, 09:14
Im not too sure what SeatFreak is talking about saying he didn't see any talent from Chilton in the old Civic, he won an award in 2005 for his performances in that car!

Before speaking I highly advise you to research what your about to alledge before putting it down as fact.

Firstly, I am not in any way shape or form aware of Chilton being given an award back in 2005. Something I didn't expect to have to tell you since you know all to well about me and what I contribute to this forum. I do. Because I do you ought to.

Secondly and finally nowhere do I even allege directly in my post I didn't see talent from Tom in the old Civic. As far as I am aware I do not and cannot even recall 2005 from the point of view of certain drivers form.

I only said "I don't think he has ever shown any sort of good form in any car - let alone the old spec Civic" because I thought it was the best thing to say which agreed with what I felt VXRDartford had meant.

It was an empty comment which meant nothing. It was purely just said as something which I felt kept peace and harmony by agreeing with another statement.

jackmarsh
29th July 2008, 09:43
Peace and harmony?

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that 99.9% of readers on here would take that quote as saying that your opinion was that Tom Chilton has not shown any sort of form in any car - let alone the old spec Civic??? - Surely this means that you dont think he has ever shown any form? The six wins he has picked up in the BTCC were all in that car, including a double at Snetterton, the second with full ballast.

At the end of the day ATF asked a question about this season - and to answer that as I have previously, it has been sub-standard, with a few good moments. Knowing Tom well he is going to extensive lengths to increase his consistency, especially on the mental side.

Also having spoken to him about the race 3 incident, he said it was completely his fault but rather than taking out the championship leader he swerved onto the grass and was then a passenger, but acknowledges that it was a poor bit of driving, hence the punishment that has been given out.

- points penalty on racing licence
- a fine
- and a grid deduction

Lets judge everyone at the end of the season. I remember people slating Rob Collard on here after a couple of rounds but he has completely turned his year around since Croft. It can and does happen.

Jack

SEATFreak
29th July 2008, 10:28
Correct me if I am wrong but I think that 99.9% of readers on here would take that quote as saying that your opinion was that Tom Chilton has not shown any sort of form in any car - let alone the old spec Civic??? - Surely this means that you dont think he has ever shown any form?

Then, like you, the 99.9% would be wrong. It meant nothing because I am too scared to give an opposing opinion because I live in constant fear getting in trouble with everyone for it.

Nothing of what I say I mean. I only say it because it is what I have guessed everyone wants me to say. You ought to have known that. What I want to say and what I do say are not the same thing. What I want to say isn't what people like. What I do say is.

My view, which I decided not to go with, is that I actually think Tom, like the others, is a decent driver in a very decent car. I don't agree with the view that certain drivers are poor driver. I can't until I am not able to know better by getting inside the car and see how their driving or their heads and see what their processing in terms of judgement.

#1JamesThompsonFan
29th July 2008, 10:28
I was clearly 'judging' Jones and Kane on the season so far. Why wait until the end of the season, otherwise this part of the forum would be very very empty

SEATFreak
29th July 2008, 13:15
Why not Adam Jones? Jones all ready can race front wheel cars and will be on the pace straight away. No doubt, Kane has very much excelled recently, but for my money, Jones has performed all year.

I was clearly 'judging' Jones and Kane on the season so far. Why wait until the end of the season, otherwise this part of the forum would be very very empty

I know you were. I wasn't saying anything against Adam Jones as a replacement for TC in the event Steve Neal does decide to release Tom. I am probably Adams biggest fan. I like him and the team a lot and I'm really pulling for him to win the Independents title.

I was just innocently guessing at others who could come in to TD and do a good job.

tisme
29th July 2008, 14:11
Agreed, especially since Andy Jordan is one of the few full time employees of Team Eurotech...

Just as Matt Neal is a full time employee at Dynamics....

Nothing is garanteed in this game!

Willing to money on that Andy?

#1JamesThompsonFan
29th July 2008, 14:29
Lets judge everyone at the end of the season. I remember people slating Rob Collard on here after a couple of rounds but he has completely turned his year around since Croft. It can and does happen. Jack

Sorry SEATFreak. I was just trying to say, why should we wait until the end of the season to discuss driver/teams perfomances?

For the record, I agree with you. Having said that there is no need for people to get hot and bothered because of the way someone views a situation. It is that persons views and should not be shouted down because it differs from others views. Otherwise this would be a "Agree with everything that is said" forum, not a "discussion" forum

ATF
29th July 2008, 15:47
I agree with what people have said about his driving getting a bit desperate, but that wasn't always the case. He had some good, clean, fair races in 2005, like Mondello and Snetterton.

And like jackmarsh said, he won with full ballast at Snetterton in the old Civic - don't think anyone else has even done that - so the talent is there. Even if the 2005 was a bit weak, he still beat the likes of Plato, Neal and Muller.

VX_Rules
29th July 2008, 17:12
Not in response to all the Handbags at dawn, but to the Jordans, Neal still is working at TD isnt he though?

Iain
29th July 2008, 18:00
Works for the Rimstock PLC wheels business yes. The raceteam is seperate.

Eurotech
30th July 2008, 21:56
While he's not the only one, some of the driving standards leave a lot to be desired. Isn't it meant to be 'Racing' - not a 'Destruction Derby'. I know we want entertainment, but I don't class ramming people off the track as racing.

What about banger RACING!?!

Eurotech
30th July 2008, 22:05
and also, ladies, stop jumping on SEATfreak whenever anythink is said that you don't agree with because this forum is for expressing personal opinion not for agreeing with other people and I dont care about the 99.9% because that maybe alot of people but there are also a lot of people in China and it doesn't make them right.......

#1JamesThompsonFan
30th July 2008, 23:12
and also, ladies, stop jumping on SEATfreak whenever anythink is said that you don't agree with because this forum is for expressing personal opinion not for agreeing with other people and I dont care about the 99.9% because that maybe alot of people but there are also a lot of people in China and it doesn't make them right.......

The point I was trying to make

Eurotech
31st July 2008, 00:11
thats cos were on the same wave length ;)

jackmarsh
31st July 2008, 12:50
the 99.9% comment had nothing to do with peoples' opinions it was to do with how a post - in the grammatical sense would be read. If you write - 'let alone in the old spec civic' - that immediately should mean that is the focal point of the argument. as the point that is being argued it being enhanced with the words 'let alone' and the following piece of evidence.

It had nothing to do with the differing opinions of people, otherwise forums would be pretty much pointless.

to comment on another part of this thread, I believe A + M Jordan will be driving this years TD Civic's next year. The BTCC spec Integra has got to reach its use by date shortly.

thetrooper_scot
31st July 2008, 13:42
I don't rate Chilton at all these days. He has had the car to perform well but hasn't be able to do it. He also seems to blame a lot of his crashes on other people, similar to what Matt Neal does.
Yes he did do well with the old Civic but that was years ago. I think it's time he left the BTCC and maybe take up endurance type racing where it's not so much close racing. Darren Turner seems more suited to the longer endurance races as well.

AndySpeed
31st July 2008, 18:16
Just as Matt Neal is a full time employee at Dynamics....

Nothing is garanteed in this game!

Willing to money on that Andy?

Agreed again! Nothing is guaranteed at all, but the chances are perhaps higher that Andy Jordan will stay with the team if the plans look good for 2009 and he is, after all, one of the employees.

And I think I'll pass on the money there. ;)

Rover V8
31st July 2008, 18:47
I think it's time he left the BTCC and maybe take up endurance type racing where it's not so much close racing. Darren Turner seems more suited to the longer endurance races as well.

Given the higher speeds in sportscars, Chilton's ability to drive into people could be real trouble there- his sportscar performances with Zytek have been a bit mixed so far....

Eurotech
31st July 2008, 22:48
maybe aston martins arent as unlucky!

tisme
1st August 2008, 00:05
Agreed again! Nothing is guaranteed at all, but the chances are perhaps higher that Andy Jordan will stay with the team if the plans look good for 2009 and he is, after all, one of the employees.

And I think I'll pass on the money there. ;)

Wise move Andy... putting money on Andrew staying at Eurotech would not be wise!

Anyway, we are going way off thread here.. shouldn't we be talking about Tom Chilton?

NEXT!

jackmarsh
1st August 2008, 10:22
Eurotech what gives you the right to act like you own the place?

I was merely defending a comment that was made regarding one of my posts!

Whenever I used to post on here the comments and opinions were interesting and the banter between posters was good fun.

There is no need whatsoever to tell me to drop the whole ******* thing. Not on!

BDunnell
7th August 2008, 20:04
I just don't get Chilton this year. Was the old Civic really the only touring car in which he could excel? He was genuinely excellent in that car, and I thought that driving the shorter-wheelbase Halfords Civic this season would help him regain some of that form. How wrong I was. It's a real shame, as I always thought the Chilton-doubters on here were being unfair.

SEATFreak
8th August 2008, 08:29
If you write - 'let alone in the old spec civic' - that immediately should mean that is the focal point of the argument.

How could it be the focal point of the argument without one choosing it to be the focal point? In what way is it the focal point? I didn't write or want it to be the focal point. The focal point surely ought to be the point of the post in it's entirity and not just two words.

BDunnell
8th August 2008, 09:50
How could it be the focal point of the argument without one choosing it to be the focal point? In what way is it the focal point? I didn't write or want it to be the focal point. The focal point surely ought to be the point of the post in it's entirity and not just two words.

:yawn:

Eurotech
8th August 2008, 21:36
agreed.