PDA

View Full Version : Kanaan Last?

bones
26th July 2008, 14:32
The word I heard while walking around Edmonton was that Kanaan has to start from last because the team had to change engines due to damage.Is this true? If so, why? Aren't the engines all Honda supplied sealed spec-engines? If they are, it shouldn't matter if they replace engines, everything should remain the same.

TK should make it very exciting starting from last!

Hoop-98
26th July 2008, 14:56
The word I heard while walking around Edmonton was that Kanaan has to start from last because the team had to change engines due to damage.Is this true? If so, why? Aren't the engines all Honda supplied sealed spec-engines? If they are, it shouldn't matter if they replace engines, everything should remain the same.

Because the engine was damaged due to TK's actions, the spin....

rh

garyshell
26th July 2008, 16:58

Because the engine was damaged due to TK's actions, the spin....

rh

Yeah, but bones has a point. If all the engines are identical, why does this rule even exist. It makes PERFECT sense in an era of team provided engines. (We all remember qualifying engines, don't we?)

Gary

NickFalzone
26th July 2008, 19:04
Barnhart has answered this question from the press before, and he had a seemingly legit answer. I can't remember what it was though, and lacking that I agree it seems kind of silly to have such a strict rule on a spec engine package. This is probably not it, but potentially the richer teams could use one engine for practice and qualifying, then go to a fresh one for the race. Honda's engines have very rarely crapped out, but it's possible that going to a brand new race engine could give a couple HP.

trinksuk
26th July 2008, 20:52
The rules state that in the event of an 'unscheduled' engine change that resulted from 'abuse' by the team, the driver in question has to start from the back. Over revs, over heating, spinning engines backwards etc all fall in this category, unfortunately TK was a victim of this.
There is no advantage to starting with a fresh engine over a part used one...