PDA

View Full Version : PT Watch @ Edmonton

garyshell
24th July 2008, 20:34
First practice is underway.

PT is third! .16 sec behind first place Tony Kanan.

Gary

icehammer97
24th July 2008, 20:36
It is still early. The good thing is it doesn't seem that it has taken him long to remember how to drive fast. I notice they are still about 7 seconds slower then the CC guys were running at the track.

SarahFan
24th July 2008, 20:41
30 min in

the two penskes

the 2 Gannassi

kaanan...and another token AGR

and PT

I :)

garyshell
24th July 2008, 20:41
It is still early. The good thing is it doesn't seem that it has taken him long to remember how to drive fast. I notice they are still about 7 seconds slower then the CC guys were running at the track.

Who cares about the speed difference? It's a different car, different engine, different tires. CC ain't coming back, so the comparison rings hollow.

Gary

garyshell
24th July 2008, 20:43
Graham Rahal to P1!!!

garyshell
24th July 2008, 20:45
Dixon, Andretti, Helio and Viso better Tony's time but PT jumps back to P2.

jimispeed
24th July 2008, 20:49
Who cares about the speed difference? It's a different car, different engine, different tires. CC ain't coming back, so the comparison rings hollow.

Gary

Maybe so, but it's important to remember what once was, and not to settle for less as a fan of open wheel. It's very hard for me to watch the Indycars right now. Anyone who doesn't know what I mean only needs to break out a DVD of Champcar previous...

Of course it's a preference, but it's quite a difference for me.

I'm hoping for a much more exciting future for Indycar!!

Until then, I'll have to deal with it....

garyshell
24th July 2008, 21:12
Maybe so, but it's important to remember what once was, and not to settle for less as a fan of open wheel. It's very hard for me to watch the Indycars right now. Anyone who doesn't know what I mean only needs to break out a DVD of Champcar previous...

Oh, just give it a rest will ya. Look, I was a dyed in the wool Champ Car fan too, but they are gone. It's over. Kaput. You keep harping about not settling for less. Well what are you going to do? Do you have any control over what we get to see? Is your constant hand wringing going to do ANYTHING to get a DP01 back on the track? Just be glad we have PT, Rahal, Wilson, Bruno, etc. out there competing.

Go break out your DVD, enjoy it. But please stop trying to rain on those of us who have moved on and want to enjoy what we have available.

I too hope for an exciting future, until then I guess I have to endure folks still living in the past.

Gary

icehammer97
24th July 2008, 21:13

That is what I was going for. It is sad how much slower these cars are then the old CCs. Hopefully the new Indycar will be more like the old CART days.

garyshell
24th July 2008, 21:17
That is what I was going for. It is sad how much slower these cars are then the old CCs. Hopefully the new Indycar will be more like the old CART days.

Why is that so sad? Can you stand at the edge of the track and without the aid of a stopwatch know how much slower they are than they were a year ago?

Stop living in the past.

Gary

gofastandwynn
24th July 2008, 21:35

Well just keep complaining, maybe they will go faster :rolleyes:

garyshell
24th July 2008, 21:41
Checkers and PT is P7. Not bad for his first outing!

Gary

Easy Drifter
24th July 2008, 21:49
How fast doesn't make any difference. It is the racing that counts. Some of the best races I ever saw were the old Honda BF Goodrich series when their Mosport times were about 2 minutes. Lap record about 1.10. Formula Vee often put on a show.
And yes I was a CC fan.

garyshell
24th July 2008, 21:55
How fast doesn't make any difference. It is the racing that counts. Some of the best races I ever saw were the old Honda BF Goodrich series when their Mosport times were about 2 minutes. Lap record about 1.10. Formula Vee often put on a show.
And yes I was a CC fan.

Abso-freakin-loutely!!! Some of the best/most exciting racing I ever saw was the old Renault Le Car series! Slow but damn exciting fun racing.

Gary

Easy Drifter
24th July 2008, 22:00
'Stompin' Danica' 18th. PT must have blocked her. :angel:

garyshell
24th July 2008, 22:27
'Stompin' Danica' 18th. PT must have blocked her. :angel:

Or Milka must have thrown a towel at her.

Gary

indycool
25th July 2008, 01:29
PT 8th quick at the end of practice.....not bad at all in different car and first time out in awhile.

SarahFan
25th July 2008, 02:47
PT 8th quick at the end of practice.....not bad at all in different car and first time out in awhile.

after letting it sit for a few hours....and shaking off that I stood firmly on the CC side of things and that might be clouding things a bit...

I gotta say...it's better than 'not bad at all'

it's damn impressive....

he ran with the big boys (teams: KV, Penske, AGR, gannassi) and the young guns (Briscoe, power) and the vets /league leaders (kanaan, Dixon, wilson, Helio) all day..

consider it's a vision car (never done well on a strret/road) and he hasn't ever sat in the car and hasn't raced in 6 months

exceded my expectations....can anyone say he didn't exceed thiers?

Dagger
25th July 2008, 02:59
PT is proving a point that he is still one of the top open wheel pilots in the world. Maybe a bit off of his game from a few years ago, but still at the pointy end of the stick.

Hopefully a sponsor or two will pony up and get him a full time ride.

spiritone
25th July 2008, 03:05
Well here we go boys and girls, a 39yr old driver comes to his first race in the tough irl with a bottom feeder team and where does he end up, 8th. Sorry gary but real race fans do notice the 5 sec difference, the outdated cars and the droaning engines. Maybe some of you fans overestimated how good the irl boys really were.

Better hope that tracy doesn't get an oval ride because that was what he was really good at. REMEMBER INDY.

Easy Drifter
25th July 2008, 03:55
NEWS FLASH, NEWS FLASH!!!! CART/CC is dead. Get the ***** over it. What we see is what we get. It ain't perfect but what is? Either enjoy it or buzz off. Moaning and whining about the past is counterproductive.
All I want is good hard racing and IRL are providing as much as any series.
As I and others have pointed out laps times mean nothing as far as quality of racing goes.
I have been around this sport for over 50 years as a spectator, marshall, steward, driver, gopher, mechanic, crew chief, team mgr., tech inspector, fabricator, designer and senior race official and now a spectator again.
I have seen series prosper and then die, usually due to incompetence from the 'powers that be'. If IRL and TG ***** up this series will die too.
Something will replace it. In the meantime sit back and enjoy what we have. Long winded rant over.

SoCalPVguy
25th July 2008, 04:19
PT is seventh only 0.4 sec. behindleader castroneves - in a "one off" first time effort using a cast off car and rookie crew.

Meanwhile princess Danica is 1.5 sec. behind the leader.

Shows where the talent really is.

Gluaistean
25th July 2008, 04:51
Oh, just give it a rest will ya. Look, I was a dyed in the wool Champ Car fan too, but they are gone. It's over. Kaput. You keep harping about not settling for less. Well what are you going to do? Do you have any control over what we get to see? Is your constant hand wringing going to do ANYTHING to get a DP01 back on the track? Just be glad we have PT, Rahal, Wilson, Bruno, etc. out there competing.

Go break out your DVD, enjoy it. But please stop trying to rain on those of us who have moved on and want to enjoy what we have available.

I too hope for an exciting future, until then I guess I have to endure folks still living in the past.

Gary

Why the attitude when the man only pointed out the differernce between the two cars?To me it is relevent. If I were at Road America this year and could see the difference between the two cars it would have an impact and I'm as rabid a fan as the rest.
Gary, as much as I enjoy your posts you need to give it a rest with the arrogance also.

An F1 fan watching a Ferrari against a Minardi a few years back would have a hard time adjusting to a complete Minardi soec field.

Cart750hp
25th July 2008, 05:17
Those people who still couldn't get over the reality that CC is dead, hopefully you guys will be able get through it. At this point, it's more sickening than sanguin used to talk (I know that guy got a new name this time and he's here with a different name).

I don't see a point of comparing the former CC drivers when they were driving a totally different car than the IndyCar. Get over it. They are now driving the IndyCar and now shows who are the competitive ones. True, this is the first year they are driving these ugly cars, but they are doing a fine job. Tracy, very impressive. But there is something in this race that Tracy is expected to do good in order to extend his ride. I never doubt Tracy is a sorry driver but he's at the point where he has to do it or go elsewhere. This is his veteran experience comes and so far it's working.

But if you guys are still couldn't get over the issue that CC drivers are better than the IRL.......hopefully you included Kanaan, Dixon, Castroneves, Briscoe on the "CC" driver list of yours.

Dr. Krogshöj
25th July 2008, 06:45
Those people who still couldn't get over the reality that CC is dead, hopefully you guys will be able get through it. At this point, it's more sickening than sanguin used to talk (I know that guy got a new name this time and he's here with a different name).

I don't see a point of comparing the former CC drivers when they were driving a totally different car than the IndyCar. Get over it. They are now driving the IndyCar and now shows who are the competitive ones. True, this is the first year they are driving these ugly cars, but they are doing a fine job. Tracy, very impressive. But there is something in this race that Tracy is expected to do good in order to extend his ride. I never doubt Tracy is a sorry driver but he's at the point where he has to do it or go elsewhere. This is his veteran experience comes and so far it's working.

But if you guys are still couldn't get over the issue that CC drivers are better than the IRL.......hopefully you included Kanaan, Dixon, Castroneves, Briscoe on the "CC" driver list of yours.

You are rigth. In fact, more than half of this year's races were won by drivers who completed at least one full season in CART/CCWS. (Dixon, Rahal, Power, Kanaan, Hunter-Reay).

after letting it sit for a few hours....and shaking off that I stood firmly on the CC side of things and that might be clouding things a bit...

I gotta say...it's better than 'not bad at all'

it's damn impressive....

he ran with the big boys (teams: KV, Penske, AGR, gannassi) and the young guns (Briscoe, power) and the vets /league leaders (kanaan, Dixon, wilson, Helio) all day..

consider it's a vision car (never done well on a strret/road) and he hasn't ever sat in the car and hasn't raced in 6 months

exceded my expectations....can anyone say he didn't exceed thiers?

Looks like Vision just found a real road course instructor for Ed and AJ. I mean I have nothing against Bryan Herta, but PT can literally lead the way and help a lot in terms of setup etc.

Hotlavaaaa
25th July 2008, 08:01
Did PT do any testing at all?

MAX_THRUST
25th July 2008, 11:03
This is so unfair!!!!!! Shut up Danica.....

-Helix-
25th July 2008, 12:09
Good to see he can still drive.

Keeping it out of the wall come race time is another issue though.

Not sure where everyone is getting all this "bottom feeder team" and "rookie crew" BS though. Vision is far from a bottom feeder team. They've just never had anyone that can drive road courses. And isn't the crew the old Forsythe one? If anything, that gives PT an advantage. Not that he really needs them as he's already driven this track before, unlike most of the other drivers.

MAX_THRUST
25th July 2008, 12:19
Talent always shines through......

Well i got the info it was a bottom team from you guys on the web that wanted to put his abillities down. I think regardless of what has been said what he has done in first practise is enough to make people say "hey, he's still got it and the public wil love hm and hate him, there's good marketing there". Congratulations TG. Good move. Well Done Walker.

So where's Danica again????

I wish I could watc this race.......

chuck34
25th July 2008, 13:20
Ok I hate it when threads get de-railed, but this one has been a bit and I just have to chime in.

Everyone that only wants to watch CC because they were faster I have a question. If all you want is pure speed, if that is the only thing that matters, if that is the only thing you care about, why are you fans of CC? They aren't the fastest thing around. F1 would kick their @ss at pretty much any track. I'm sure you all knew that, but did you know this: Super Karts would run circles around CC and probably F1 at a lot of places. Those things will take a corner way quicker than anything I have ever seen. So all of you that are whining about IndyCars being slower than CC, shut up, go watch some kart racing, and leave us alone.

I know I have stopped watching all racing since the old Can-Am went away. Nothing compares to those things.

bblocker68
25th July 2008, 16:03
8th place, just like I predicted, lol!!!!!

Jimi, those Champcars looked awfully slow compared to the Reynard and Lola in 1996 too, but we learn to get on with it. Those cars were beauties compared to the Panoz, but we adapt and move on.............or we face extinction.

Dr. Krogshöj
25th July 2008, 16:07
Talent always shines through......

Well i got the info it was a bottom team from you guys on the web that wanted to put his abillities down. I think regardless of what has been said what he has done in first practise is enough to make people say "hey, he's still got it and the public wil love hm and hate him, there's good marketing there". Congratulations TG. Good move. Well Done Walker.

So where's Danica again????

I wish I could watc this race.......

I know internet message boards are not a good indicator, but look at this forum or *****. More threads are being started about PT than Danica. :)

Why is it that you can't watch the race?

indycool
25th July 2008, 16:23
Sure. Every paper in Canada is going nuts over Tracy being there and the race itself. It's a good draw.

garyshell
25th July 2008, 16:40
Looks like Vision just found a real road course instructor for Ed and AJ. I mean I have nothing against Bryan Herta, but PT can literally lead the way and help a lot in terms of setup etc.

I keep telling you guys, Herta was hired to teach the Heimlich Maneuver.

Gary

bblocker68
25th July 2008, 17:16
I think he had to give it to himself a few times, MUHUHUHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!

when does practice start, anyway???

tkg26 96789
25th July 2008, 17:19
Personally, I'd like to see PT start from the last position on the grid. Tony George should just offer PT $10,000 for every car he passes in green flag racing. Edmonton is like Cleveland, so it would be like the epic run thru the field which Zanardi or Sebass were famous for. I'd really watch that race on TV. I think that would be more exciting to watch... What sponsor wouldn't want that kinda attention....

Maybe we would even see PT bring out the famous Chrome Horns on Roth, Milka, Danica, AJ and others...

garyshell
25th July 2008, 17:23
I think he had to give it to himself a few times, MUHUHUHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!

when does practice start, anyway???

Right now!

Gary

gofastandwynn
25th July 2008, 18:07
Also, PT is in the easier of the 2 groups, so he should not have a problem advancing in knockout qualifying.

Group 1
Castroneves
Meira
Servia
Briscoe
Patrick
Dixon
Manning
Rice
Junqueira
Bell
Andretti
Viso
Camara
Wilson

Group 2
Foyt
Power
Wheldon
Kanaan
Hunter-Reay
Moraes
Carpenter
Tracy
Roth
Mutoh
Bernoldi
Dominguez
Rahal

SarahFan
25th July 2008, 18:30
can PT make it to the final 6?

indycool
25th July 2008, 18:33
I think he could, depending on how it unfolds. He's clearly fast enough to contend.

SarahFan
25th July 2008, 18:42
I think he could, depending on how it unfolds. He's clearly fast enough to contend.

i suspect the final 2 minutes of the top 12 is going to be wild....dare i say even more fun the final 6

SoCalPVguy
25th July 2008, 21:14
PT !!!! 0.35 sec. behind leaders.

princess danica - 1.9-sec. !!! As yourself "What the ***** are you doing out there ?"

Marty... get outta here, ya' bum -5-seconds - sheesh, bottom half of the Atlantics field... Look for an angry visit to your pits from .... Milka !!!

Great effort by PT in a 1-off, first time, second hand junk car that didn't even have the right road course "bits"--- look at where his teamates are.... -1.6/-1.8 sec's off the pace.

Combined Practice Results
http://autoracing1.com/article.asp?id=558 (not "premium content")

indycool
25th July 2008, 21:20
Geez, calm down. First of all, Tracy is a well-known good race driver. Second, it ain't a junk car. Third, he's been there before, Fourth, the shot at Danica ain't germane. Fifth, who said it didn't have the right "bits?" And sixth, delete the gobbeldy-gook.

SoCalPVguy
25th July 2008, 22:44
Geez, calm down. First of all, Tracy is a well-known good race driver. Second, it ain't a junk car. Third, he's been there before, Fourth, the shot at Danica ain't germane. Fifth, who said it didn't have the right "bits?" And sixth, delete the gobbeldy-gook.

PAUL TRACY (No. 22 Subway/Vision, eighth): “It went as well as you could hope for. We hoped to come in and have the car run all day, and we did that. The crew did a great job. They had a very small amount of time to get the car ready, only a couple of weeks. Derrick (Walker) and his group did a great job. Tony (George) giving us this car to use, but going from an oval setup to a road course setup, so it was missing a lot of the bits. We’re pleasantly satisfied with how it went. I haven’t driven since Long Beach, and I haven’t driven much at all – I’ve had one test day – since Surfers (Paradise) last year. Hopefully, things will come back a little easier tomorrow and we can work on the race setup. It’s going to be a tough one. It’s a tough race, and these guys have been driving all year.”

A shot at the princess is always germane.
If that car was so good why was it sitting around as a spare when good cars are in shortage right now.
I don't think you can say gobbeldy-gook anymore, it is now a more PC gobbeldy-vietnamese for you veterans out there.

speeddurango
25th July 2008, 23:18
That first 4 statements were right, but they are all positive sides, and can't really be a right statement for the whole truth. There are other sides which are left completely unmentioned.

Old3Fan
26th July 2008, 19:11

Gary

And we all just have to endure you Gary. It works both ways you know............Old3Fan

garyshell
26th July 2008, 23:21
32 laps to go and PT in 4th place!!!!

Go PT, go!

Gary

Mad_Hatter
26th July 2008, 23:52
Great run by the Walker guys and PT!
:bounce:

garyshell
26th July 2008, 23:52
And he finishes in fourth!!!!! So much for a guy who was "washed up, over the hill, out of shape...".

Way to go Paul, Well done! :burnout:

Gary

icehammer97
26th July 2008, 23:56
Hope this leads to a full time ride as he showed what he can do.

Anyone know what happened to Servia since he lost 4th on the last lap with a big lead over PT.

SoCalPVguy
27th July 2008, 00:01
Wooo Hooo... fourth palce in a one off, firsttime effort using (at best) a "used" car...

A full time PT would really energize this series.

I watched the ENTIRE (never left me seat) race for the first time (either IRL or CCWS) in three years just to root for PT.

FIAT1
27th July 2008, 00:23
P. T. you are the man. Fantastic.

MDS
27th July 2008, 00:57
I think all of you "I am Indy" folks who are still carrying an axe over the split owe Paul an apology for doubting his ability.

He took a dog of a car that Ed Carpenter had wreck five or six times and drove it into fourth place while not causing any problems for anyone. If you noticed he had some of the least amount of downforce on his car out of anyone on the field, probably had to do that because its slow from being wrecked so many times by some hack driver.

PT just gave Tony George his best finish of the year. Who would have thought that in December?

-Helix-
27th July 2008, 01:08
Wooo Hooo... fourth palce in a one off, firsttime effort using (at best) a "used" car...

A full time PT would really energize this series.

I watched the ENTIRE (never left me seat) race for the first time (either IRL or CCWS) in three years just to root for PT.

A "used" car? lol wtf? What car ISN'T a "used" car? I like how you keep trying to play it off as Tracy having such a worse car as everyone else.

Newsflash: Practically every car in the series is a junker except for maybe one or two which Dallara actually built brand new for this season.

Impressive run for Tracy nonetheless. He definitely had a chip on his shoulder.

The most hilarious part about all this though is how bad he made all the other transition drivers look. All the other transition drivers have been in this car all season, yet Tracy beats them all in his first race.

MDS
27th July 2008, 02:24
All the other transition drivers have been in this car all season, yet Tracy beats them all in his first race.

Uh, Justin Wilson finished ahead of him.

SoCalPVguy
27th July 2008, 02:30
I like how you keep trying to play it off as Tracy having such a worse car as everyone else.

Tracy himself is quoted that the car did not even come to them with the proper parts to be configured for a road course:

PAUL TRACY (No. 22 Subway/Vision, eighth): “It went as well as you could hope for. We hoped to come in and have the car run all day, and we did that. The crew did a great job. They had a very small amount of time to get the car ready, only a couple of weeks. Derrick (Walker) and his group did a great job. Tony (George) giving us this car to use, but going from an oval setup to a road course setup, so it was missing a lot of the bits. We’re pleasantly satisfied with how it went. I haven’t driven since Long Beach, and I haven’t driven much at all – I’ve had one test day – since Surfers (Paradise) last year. Hopefully, things will come back a little easier tomorrow and we can work on the race setup. It’s going to be a tough one. It’s a tough race, and these guys have been driving all year.”

Mad_Hatter
27th July 2008, 02:37
Tracy's former team bets against him (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080726.INDYSIDE26/TPStory/Sports)

Scoreboard

garyshell
27th July 2008, 05:26
Tracy's former team bets against him (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080726.INDYSIDE26/TPStory/Sports)

Scoreboard

Tracy's former team bets against him

JEFF PAPPONE
July 26, 2008

Edmonton -- It only took one day back in the cockpit for Paul Tracy to get angry at someone, but, in his defence, he was clearly provoked.
Apparently, some of his former Forsythe Championship racing crew bet Tracy's new team that the 2003 Champ Car champion would be a bust in his Indy Racing League debut.
"They made bets against me that I wouldn't break the top-20 all weekend because they think the problem at Forsythe was me and not the team," said Tracy, who signed a one-race dead with Vision racing to compete in Edmonton this weekend.
"They bet some people on my team that we would be lost all weekend and not competitive. In practice, the cars they were running were in the 20s and we were in the top six or seven, so it was nice to rub some salt in their wounds."

Tracy earned his team members some extra bucks by putting his car seventh in Thursday's first practice session for today's Rexall Edmonton Indy. The veteran from Toronto struggled through his last Champ Car season with Forsythe and ended 2007 in 11th place in the points standing.
While the Forsythe did not join the IRL, the outfit is offering technical expertise to existing teams through a newly formed consulting business. Although he made his former team eat their words, the same can't be said of his aching body, which hasn't fared well so far.
"Obviously, it is going to be a grind and a test for everyone here," he said. "I am not in the best shape I've even been in, but I am not out of shape, either.
"I have some bumps and bruises and wear spots on the body that get calloused as you drive through a season, so I'm rubbing the skin through to the bone, but that's the nature of this track."

He who laughs last, laughs best! Enjoy the laughter PT, you earned it! :laugh:

Gary

45 Below
27th July 2008, 09:13
Definitely a great run by PT. I hope he gets a full-time ride.

indycool
27th July 2008, 14:54
A great performance by Tracy and I hope he's able to stay in the series. Especially good for the Canadian fans and a pretty excited Edmonton crowd. Good for him, good for the series. And no, I don't believe it was a "junk" car.

MDS
27th July 2008, 15:33
And no, I don't believe it was a "junk" car.

Look at his front wing, Paul ran much less downforce on his car than every other car in the field. There are number of probable reasons for that, but the most likely is, the car is a Dog and Tracy had to put a radical set up on it to make it work.

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules/ew_filemanager/08content/indycar/honda/edmonton/edmonton-paultracy.jpg

indycool
27th July 2008, 16:46
He finished fourth. To quote Johnny Rutherford: "I've never seen a driver go very fast without a car and I've never seen a car go very fast without a driver."

-Helix-
27th July 2008, 22:02
Uh, Justin Wilson finished ahead of him.

Ok, Mr. Literal. But good for Justin for finally getting a respectable finish. Point is, it only took PT one race to do that. JW and the rest of the transition drivers have had all season.

Sure, Rahal won his first race but it was mostly due to fuel strategy and he hasn't had those kind of results since.

Tracy himself is quoted that the car did not even come to them with the proper parts to be configured for a road course:

PAUL TRACY (No. 22 Subway/Vision, eighth): &#8220]so it was missing a lot of the bits.[/U] We’re pleasantly satisfied with how it went. I haven’t driven since Long Beach, and I haven’t driven much at all – I’ve had one test day – since Surfers (Paradise) last year. Hopefully, things will come back a little easier tomorrow and we can work on the race setup. It’s going to be a tough one. It’s a tough race, and these guys have been driving all year.”

The word "was" is a key word in that statement. "Was" usually denotes that at one point in the past it lacked some of these so-called "bits" (whatever that means - pretty undescriptive statement to base a whole belief that he was driving a junker on) but at the present point in time, or at the moment of time in which this statement was spoken, it did have these "bits".

Just because a team had to go out of their way to get a car race-ready instead of getting a brand new machine out of the box does not mean he was racing a junker. :rolleyes:

Chamoo
27th July 2008, 22:18
Look at his front wing, Paul ran much less downforce on his car than every other car in the field. There are number of probable reasons for that, but the most likely is, the car is a Dog and Tracy had to put a radical set up on it to make it work.

The reason he ran that wing was because he destroyed the road course front wing in practice when he spun and barely clipped the tire barrier. I assume they only had one road course front wing readily available before the weekend, so they painted an older front wing as a back up just incase.

nigelred5
27th July 2008, 23:54
Whatever wing he was running, it seemed to work fine for PT. Good to see PT on track and in good form with zero preparation.

MDS
27th July 2008, 23:58
I also find it interesting no one is pointing out how much he showed up the rest of Team Nepotism's hacks. No testing, a cast off car Carpenter smashed into a wall like a kid with a Matchbox racer five times last season, and a raw crew and he put in Vison's best finish of the year.

Imagine how many races Vison would have won with PT in the Menards seat.

The reason he ran that wing was because he destroyed the road course front wing in practice when he spun and barely clipped the tire barrier. I assume they only had one road course front wing readily available before the weekend, so they painted an older front wing as a back up just incase.

Even so he had far less downforce than anyone else out there, and without the front downforce the car is difficult to turn, making his performance all that more noteworthy.

MAX_THRUST
28th July 2008, 08:12
I didn't see the race, but the results show Tracy 4th overall. It doesn't matter how he got there, but he was there, and on merit. Low downforce wing on a bumpy track like Edmonton, good going.

Surely he's gonna get a ride the rest of the season. TG must be chomping at the bit for PTs signature. Bet the other two drivers are feeling uncormfortable!!!

speeddurango
28th July 2008, 12:29
That car wasn't a junk car, well maybe, but it's definetely not a 4th place car there, with the downforce the car got and the usual Vision racing performance on a road course, comparably it's not really a car you would expect to see running up front naturally. And not to point out what an unprepared whole crew of team that only got ready for the race in just one week.

Dave Brock
29th July 2008, 20:35
A washed up has-been finishes 4th driving a ***** in a series that will never turn a wheel which is dominated by a pipsqueek chick racing over her head for a washed out F-1 wannabe....and all the bottom dwellers have an orgasim.
There HAS to be a place on the NET
where REAL racing fans discuss REAL racing history
this place has yet to mature into that mode. :rolleyes:

indycool
29th July 2008, 20:47
Well, tell us what you REALLY think, Dave.

Dave Brock
29th July 2008, 21:03
Well, tell us what you REALLY think, Dave.

Few can handle the truth...and fewer still seek it out......12% of the population is whacked out and 90% of the rest are happy being fed media pablum by talking pretty faces.

It is fortunate that YOU are able to formulate a humorous response, but I doubt most will even understand this interaction.....Reagans dumbdown the populace was more effective than anyone could imagine.

weeflyonthewall
29th July 2008, 21:35
That car wasn't a junk car, well maybe, but it's definetely not a 4th place car there, with the downforce the car got and the usual Vision racing performance on a road course, comparably it's not really a car you would expect to see running up front naturally. And not to point out what an unprepared whole crew of team that only got ready for the race in just one week.

Your point? Much better finish than most IRL fans expected?
Its PT and Walker for heavens sake. A top ten was inevitable, the top five became a major statement. Next race.......

speeddurango
30th July 2008, 00:11
Not really inevitable, I'm not going to give you my reasonings here. Just to tell you that from what I've heard, his Forsythe crews were betting him not getting into top 20s, and from his own words in Saturday qualifying, his performance of positionging himself around 6th 7th 8th exceeded people's expectation, and by the way, if a top 10 is so easy then Subway shouldn't have just signed a deal with them for one race only.

I would say both PT and Walker did a genuinely outstanding job all weekend long, but if you think a top 10 can be easy for them before the weekend, I would say you need a reality check, there are teams like AGR, Chip Ganassi, Penske, and other strong transitional teams like NHL and KV racing, that's at least 10 strong cars and drivers combination, oh and the likes of Ryne Hunter Ray, Darren Manning. Honestly it's not a weak field, and as I said both his crew and himself basically got to know their cars for the first time this weekend, there were well enough of obstacles ahead of them.

spiritone
30th July 2008, 00:33
Sorry easydrifter i don't have to get over it and as long as my name isn't taken off by the moderators i'll be here to remind you of how good champcar really was and how the wrong side won. To top it all off, quess what, i've been involved in open wheel racing for over 50 yrs too and i now race with my son and grandson in sprint car racing.

For all you irl's, the car that pt drove was not a penske, ganass, or an agr (although that would have been a handicap) it was a bare tub, put together by a made up team in its first race, racing against the so called superior drivers and teams of the irl. So maybe he should be given his due.

If tg has a lick of sense (which i have grave doubts about) he will get this guy into his series as fast as possible and give it some credibility. Sorry marty but the irl needs a canadian in this series real bad.

-Helix-
30th July 2008, 01:16
A washed up has-been finishes 4th driving a ***** in a series that will never turn a wheel which is dominated by a pipsqueek chick racing over her head for a washed out F-1 wannabe....and all the bottom dwellers have an orgasim.

If Tracy is a washed up has-been and out performed the rest of the transition drivers that easily (except Wilson, sorry. Though Wilson has had all season in the car unlike Tracy), what does that say about the product Champ Car had? Obviously he's not washed up and he proved he can compete so what's your point?

Oh, and thanks for clearing up that Danica dominates IndyCar. I was under the impression that Dixon was on top of the points standings.

indycool
30th July 2008, 01:18
Sure, PT brings something to the party and with presumably two races in Canada next year, he would be a welcome addition to the series. I suspect it's a matter of sponsorship and his salary. TG and Vision thought enough of Tracy to work with Walker to get him in the show at Edmonton and Tracy did very well...should open some eyes.

SarahFan
30th July 2008, 15:21

your rediculous