PDA

View Full Version : Triple Crown......

maxmach
23rd July 2008, 15:52
Ok, I've often wondered this, I'm sure you guys must have too. Whenever they mention a crown, triple or otherwise, they, the illustrious "they", always say the same kind of thing, the Indy 500, Calif. speedway, Michigan,etc. I, I think it should be different.
It should be one of each discipline, a high speed oval, low speed oval, road course and street course. The Quad Crown if you will. Like, whoever wins the most points at the I500, Milwaukee, Long Beach and say Road America wins the "Quad Crown".
What do you think?

F1boat
23rd July 2008, 16:36
Nice idea, but most IRL drivers missed Long Beach...

Phoenixent
23rd July 2008, 16:42
Champ Car tried that with the Canadian races. I was the dumbist thing I have ever heard of. The triple crown should only have been awarded to a driver that won all three events. Thats not what Champ Car did they awarded to on total points won.

There is on only will be one true triple crown. It is on the 2 mile of greater oval for 500 miles. It is the most grueling events for open wheel cars. Back in the day USAC awarded 1000 points for a win on a super speedway and there was only three of those tracks on the schedule.

There has been only one true winner of the Triple Crown. Al Unser Sr. 1978 scoring wins at all three 2.5 mile tracks in one year.

Your idea is sound on a special award for winning on different tracks. It would be like the old Nascar Winston Million where you had to win at Three different types on tracks.

weeflyonthewall
23rd July 2008, 17:18
Nice idea, but most IRL drivers missed Long Beach...

2009?

SarahFan
23rd July 2008, 17:32
who cares who wins the most points in three eevents...that's what the championship is for...

triple crown should be WINS

Alexamateo
23rd July 2008, 17:42
Nascar's Winston Million was their sport's "Triple Crown" of the Daytona 500, the World 600 @ Charlotte, and the Southern 500 @ Darlington. Winston added the Winston 500 @ Talladega because they sponsored the race, and gave the prize to any driver winning 3 of the 4 races.

Nascar's "Triple Crown" was won twice, by Lee Roy Yarbrough in 1969 and David Pearson in 1976, although there was no special award or recognition. Jeff Gordon won the same 3 races in 1997 to win the Winston Million, and Bill Elliot won Daytona, Talladega, and Darlington to win the Million in 1985.

I agree with Phoenix, a triple crown should be for winners only and for 500 mile races, although Tony George evidently doesn't want any other 500 milers except for Indy.

That said, If a sponsor wants to put together a prize for who gets the most points in the Canadian races (yes I know there's only one this year), or a road racing king, or whatever, then more power to them.

Cart750hp
25th July 2008, 04:58
The "Triple Crown" that CC tried to promote was a disaster, much more of a "Cripple Crown". It was a good idea to have some sort of a mini-championship series in a 16-20 race schedule but CC management screw the whole thing up. They didn't build or put an effort to market it or even make it more exciting for the fans, the drivers, the teams and for the sponsors. Oh well, it could work with IndyCar now that everyone is in one roof. For IndyCar, just one step at a time.

MAX_THRUST
25th July 2008, 12:27
I hate to say it, but the IRL is far more organised than CCWS was, and i think the irl could pull it off.

Three big 500 miler oval races would be great, as that is what the history was, and winner only. The problem being if the guy doesn't finnish race two after winning the first then the third event is pointless.......

Just do what CART did, Michigan and Fontana were Million dollars for first, which Vasser won both I think.

A million for Indy, Michigan, California, but then again I like the idea of it being Long Beach, Indy, and one other. For me that should be Cleveland, but as it isn't on the schedule, I'd go for Surfers paradise, simply to raise more interest in the event in the US when the guys are racing miles from home on a different time zone. What do I know though.

Keep it simple works, unlike NASCAR's top ten go into the shoot out or whatever it is, ITS DAFT!!!!