PDA

View Full Version : Toyota's disintegrating rear suspension-transmision

ioan
23rd July 2008, 13:09
Was there any comment from the Toyota team explaining why the rear suspension-transmission let go on Glock's car?

It was rather unusual because there was no braking involved, although maybe the huge centrifugal forces combined with the vibration from the kerbs might have provoked it.

23rd July 2008, 16:32
Was there any comment from the Toyota team explaining why the rear suspension-transmission let go on Glock's car?

It was rather unusual because there was no braking involved, although maybe the huge centrifugal forces combined with the vibration from the kerbs might have provoked it.

It was under heavy acceleration though, which, if there was a fatigue crack in the assembly, would have been enough for it to reach its critical point.

ten-tenths
23rd July 2008, 19:28
i dont think it helped that the driver went off track as well.

Sleeper
23rd July 2008, 19:35
i dont think it helped that the driver went off track as well.
He was running over the kerb, just like everybody else.

The part I'm worried about is that this is not the first suspension failure we've seen on the Toyotas in recent years, though I think its the first this year and by far the most spectacular. It also didnt appear to be an internal part like previous failures but they are still having too many in this area.

Robinho
23rd July 2008, 20:28
http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=43445

Toyota has been investigating the cause of Glock’s crash and has traced it to a right-rear suspension failure.

It has yet to determine what triggered the breakage, but has ruled out the possibility that it was caused by Glock running wide over the kerb at the exit of the final corner.

“Immediately after Timo's incident at Hockenheim, an investigation to determine the cause began at the track and continued at the factory,” the team said in a statement.

“This has been traced to the right rear toelink/trackrod.

“After studying data from the car, it has been determined that there were no exceptional circumstances immediately before the incident and Timo running wide at the last corner on that lap was not the cause.

“The team is now conducting a thorough analysis of the loading data from earlier in the race to determine if an event occurred which caused this.