PDA

View Full Version : News from Cleveland.com.......

jimispeed
22nd July 2008, 22:56
Grand Prix of Cleveland race promoters were at Mid-Ohio Saturday morning lobbying for the Burke Lakefront Airport event, but they were gone by early afternoon with nothing to report. They are fighting to get the race on the IRL's 2009 schedule. But with each passing day Cleveland's chances appear less promising as the anticipated July 31 schedule release date nears.
Still, grassroots support remains strong. As one crew chief said, "Perhaps when they see Edmonton [Canada, which is also at an airport event] they'll be more excited about Cleveland." Edmonton will host the IRL next Saturday.

bblocker68
23rd July 2008, 17:00
Keeping my fingers crossed. Cleveland has been my favorite race since the first year they ran there. Nothin like a road course with super wide lanes to pass on.

gofastandwynn
23rd July 2008, 20:27
Just throwing this out there for those in the cleveland area, but would it be possible to move the time of year for Cleveland? For example everybody used to have problems with the heat at Kansas in July, so they moved it to late April.

In know the lake my factor in (see Cubs), but would moving it to maybe late April or early Sept work?

Dr. Krogshöj
23rd July 2008, 20:34
I don't think the problem is the date, it's the proximity of the established and highly successful Mid-Ohio race. Just like the problem for Road America is Milwaukee. The IRL doesn't want to split these markets.

bennybigb
23rd July 2008, 21:33
How typical of the IRL to not race at Cleveland.

Indycars have a long history there. The fan support is great, the races are great and all of the teams and drivers love that place.

So yeah, it makes total sense that the IRL will not race there. Maybe we can find a 1.5 mile D shaped oval to run on instead.

This series will never move forward. Better get used to mediocre racing, because that is all the IRL ever has, or ever will offer.

DavePI2
23rd July 2008, 22:08
well lets see, kill kentucy and give cleveland it's date. I know it will bother those that prefer ovals but Kentucky doesn't deserve a race. It's not like the louisville and cincinnati markets are going to care. Those folks only understand tin tops.

david

Wilf
23rd July 2008, 22:40
well lets see, kill kentucy and give cleveland it's date. I know it will bother those that prefer ovals but Kentucky doesn't deserve a race. It's not like the louisville and cincinnati markets are going to care. Those folks only understand tin tops.

david

No, Kentucky is a fairly new race facility, kill one of the old ovals like Indy, it's had more than it's share of races. Kill it and give someone else a chance. They can't fill their grandstands anymore so they don't deserve a race.

-Helix-
24th July 2008, 01:52

Indycars have a long history there. The fan support is great, the races are great and all of the teams and drivers love that place.

So yeah, it makes total sense that the IRL will not race there. Maybe we can find a 1.5 mile D shaped oval to run on instead.

This series will never move forward. Better get used to mediocre racing, because that is all the IRL ever has, or ever will offer.

It's been what? 5 months since the merger? It's not like a series that already has an established schedule can just pick up any track they want. They have to be able to fit it in and so far they haven't been able to.

It's also not the IRL's fault if the race isn't financially feasible.

I love Cleveland as much as the next fan, but you can't please everyone. You'd need a 200 race schedule to do that.

garyshell
24th July 2008, 02:09

david

Excuse me? And you would know what folks in Cincinnati prefer how? If you REALLY knew about the folks here, you would realize that a significant portion of the folks going to Mid Ohio drive from Cincinnati. Same for the Indy 500.

Gary

garyshell
24th July 2008, 02:12

First, Cleveland has always been my favorite race on the schedule. But having said that I question how "great" the fan support was. Seems to me that each year the head count was down. Several promoters took a stab at it, none seemed pleased with the result. I would like to see it return, but some promoter has to be able to turn a profit for that to happen.

Gary

indycool
25th July 2008, 01:36
Gary just said it before me. It's always a good race at Cleveland. Fans can see almost all the track from the stands and for a road course, that's something different. The teams like it. The drivers like it. But every promoter who has risked it has lost their caboose. If Penske can't do it in his hometown, that oughta say something. If IMG can't do it in its hometown, that oughta say something.

jimi, I'd be interested to know exactly who you're talking about when you say "Grand Prix of Cleveland race promoters." Lanigan fronted the last one, either alone or with silent partners. He has been pretty quiet. So who is now a "Grand Prix of Cleveland race promoter?"

weeflyonthewall
25th July 2008, 02:18
Lanigan and Mi-Jack promotions?

jimispeed
25th July 2008, 05:35
jimi, I'd be interested to know exactly who you're talking about when you say "Grand Prix of Cleveland race promoters." Lanigan fronted the last one, either alone or with silent partners. He has been pretty quiet. So who is now a "Grand Prix of Cleveland race promoter?"

This information is quoted from cleveland.com