PDA

View Full Version : Nasn/espn Nascar 2007

colinspooky
27th January 2007, 12:12
Hi
I am new around these parts. They are leaving this dead late to sort aren't they?
:eek:

RaceFanStan
27th January 2007, 19:47
The NASCAR seasons start mid-February, time is running out. :eek:

from NASN.com :
http://www.nasn.com/content/nasn/portal.nsf/content/index-nascar
Here’s the rundown on NASCAR Coverage

We are currently in negotiations with NASCAR regarding coverage for the upcoming season.
As soon as there is anything to report on the situation, we will announce it here.

Mark in Oshawa
27th January 2007, 19:52
Umm Colin, The have until the summer, Fox will be broadcasting the first half of the season...

Mark in Oshawa
27th January 2007, 19:54
my apologies...NASN...I didn't realize you were talking about the European coverage....

djparky
28th January 2007, 21:12
err yeah well if NASN only shows the second half of the season then I'll be cancelling my subscription straight away

I live in hope it will show up on Motors TV- so they can show both Busch and Nextel Cup races

colinspooky
29th January 2007, 16:15
err yeah well if NASN only shows the second half of the season then I'll be cancelling my subscription straight away

I live in hope it will show up on Motors TV- so they can show both Busch and Nextel Cup races

Hmmm - don't get Motors - just on Sky, or at least not offered by Telewest.

colinspooky
29th January 2007, 16:16
Umm Colin, The have until the summer, Fox will be broadcasting the first half of the season...

my apologies...NASN...I didn't realize you were talking about the European coverage....

Phew - was worried then. :eek:

cgs
29th January 2007, 16:36
ESPN (Disney) bought NASN over the winter

dwboogityfan
29th January 2007, 18:03
Am worried that we have not heard any news on coverage by now, but NASN have a history of leaving it late.
Either way, I am sure NASCAR will want some European coverage so I live in hope...

SOD
29th January 2007, 19:36
If NASN is still in discussion with NASCAr, then there's nothing to fear. Unless there's a bidding war between different broadcasters for the rights to NASCAR.

colinspooky
30th January 2007, 12:07
anyone know of another company in the running?
:confused:

cgs
30th January 2007, 13:10
five?

BobbyC
31st January 2007, 13:58
Disney holds international rights, so this is just a ruse. Once Disney seals the deal and probably gives it the ESPN branding, they will just make it official.

Alsicole
1st February 2007, 00:24
This is getting stupidly late. I do wonder if NASN is holding off making an announcement to try and stop us from cancelling our subscriptions. If they don't say something soon, I'm going to cancel and buy a race pass for the internet instead.

Speedworx
1st February 2007, 20:07

Motors have dropped Busch series as they can't afford it.

RaceFanStan
1st February 2007, 20:26
That's NOT good news for people across the pond ! :s

djparky
1st February 2007, 22:34
so what are Motors TV going to show then? they've already canned the TOCA race coverage- are we in for more "magazine" programmes?

Shame about Busch coverage- i didn't see all the races but I watched a few of them

Speedworx
2nd February 2007, 00:51
so what are Motors TV going to show then? they've already canned the TOCA race coverage- are we in for more "magazine" programmes?

Shame about Busch coverage- i didn't see all the races but I watched a few of them

This is the english version of a what a MotorsTV employee put about the busch series on the french forum:

Hello with all I know that you all of are impassioned of Nascar but you suspect well that nobody can more be disappointed than me of the current situation. Indeed, at the time when I speak to you, there is not and there will be no Nascar Busch on Motors TV in 2007. Two principal reasons: - new requirements of our American “friends” concerning the rights of retransmission; they understood well that the NBS was very gravitational and want to touch the dividends immediately of them… - the fact that Motors TV, in same time, cannot be allowed to increase in a considerable way its budget purchases. I want to still believe that one will arrive at a deal of last minute when one realizes that everyone is losing: you of course, but also us and our desire for proposing best mechanical sports, and Nascar to you itself which will realize well that Busch is more diffused in Europe! (A roof for a series which seeks to extend!) Wait and see thus…

RaceFanStan
2nd February 2007, 03:11
Now that Motors TV is NOT willing to pay what NASCAR has demanded could be a good thing.
NASCAR must now realize their product is worthless if they cannot sell it.
I bet the brass @ NASCAR are rethinking the value of their product on the international market.

Busch Series racing is good but obviously not at any price.
Motors TV should be admired for standing up to NASCAR's greed. :D :up:

BobbyC
2nd February 2007, 04:23
Motors have dropped Busch series as they can't afford it.

I predict it will be ESPN North American Sports (NASN) because of NASCAR's international righs are held by ESPN International, and as Disney melds NASN into ESPN International, it will have the deal for NASCAR's three major series, as international rights are held by ESPN.

http://www.jayski.com/pages/espn.htm

Speedworx
3rd February 2007, 17:31
Fears are growing that there will be no live NASCAR Nextel Cup coverage for fans in Britain and the rest of Europe in 2007 as satellite TV station NASN struggles to reach an agreement with the series.

NASN, whose parent company Setanta Sports has been bought by ESPN, has broadcast live or as-live coverage of every Nextel Cup race for the last three years. However their existing NASCAR contract finished at the end of 2006 and with barely a week to go before the 2007 season kicks off with the Budweiser Shootout, fears are growing that fans in Europe will be blacked out.

Even though ESPN have returned as a Nextel Cup broadcaster in the United States in 2007, their coverage isn't due to begin until the second half of the 2007 season with FOX and TNT covering the first 18 races, including the prized Daytona 500.

Thousands and thousands of UK viewers alone have subscribed to the stand-alone NASNA platform over the past three years to watch unprecedented live coverage of the Nextel Cup action, with subscribers even getting to stay with the action as the domestic broadcaster in the U.S. goes to a commercial break.

http://www.crash.net/news_view.asp?cid=2&id=142760&bhcp=1

This isn't good :(

gary_580
4th February 2007, 22:30
Hmmm - don't get Motors - just on Sky, or at least not offered by Telewest.

NTL show MotorsTV

GARYGAZZA
5th February 2007, 21:06
Telewest Does Not Show Motors Tv But It May All Change After Thursday When Virgin Media Take Over.

cyd
9th February 2007, 17:10
Telewest Does Not Show Motors Tv But It May All Change After Thursday When Virgin Media Take Over.

Hope so, cause Men & Motors is absolutely hopeless. Five TV shows a 50-minute highlight show on Friday nights after the race. Otherwise, there is always huddling around a small computer screen for hours......... :mad:

We cancelled NASN last fall when they started goofing around with coverage.

Was there any coverage of Daytona 24 hours?

GARYGAZZA
9th February 2007, 20:39
The Daytona 24 hours highligits are on Eurosport on sunday night.

GARYGAZZA
10th February 2007, 21:38
Go to www.viidoo.com (http://www.viidoo.com%20download).Download the tvu player,tune into FOX channel 10011 at 1am GMT 11/02/07 Bud shoot out on,also Daytona500 qualifing at 1900 hrs GMT 11/02/07.Its worth a try and its free.

cyd
11th February 2007, 20:31
The Daytona 24 hours highligits are on Eurosport on sunday night.

Thanks Gary, I noticed that in the TV listings late yesterday. Looking forward to seeing JPM on a podium again.

GARYGAZZA
11th February 2007, 20:47
Hi cyd thats ok.Have you tried viidoo.com yet?Watching Daytona 500 qualifing live on fox now.How do you guys put up with all the adverts!Tought uk was bad.

cyd
12th February 2007, 20:48
Hi cyd thats ok.Have you tried viidoo.com yet?Watching Daytona 500 qualifing live on fox now.How do you guys put up with all the adverts!Tought uk was bad.

Yes, we know about the TVU player. It just crashes the computer after about an hour. I managed to watch Colin McRae last summer on the XGames and bits of the last few NASCAR races. Unfortunately, I missed qualifying last night. Ah, well.

Commercials? That's when we go get a beer and make our popcorn :D

Pieter Dams
13th February 2007, 09:13
hey guys, i installed the TVU player last night. looks like i'll get to watch the Daytona 500 live after all! but can any of you tell me where i might download a NASCAR race in case i won't be able to watch it live?

pieter

Rocsta
13th February 2007, 10:24
Just watched the Shootout highlights on Channel 5 and they had a ticker at the start of the race saying to watch out for full coverage of the 500 on five on Sunday the 18th, didn't say if it's live but it could be :)

Pieter Dams
13th February 2007, 10:54
i just checked channel 5's tv guide and they only seem to only show the 50 min highlight show.
anyone got any ideas where you can download a race after it's been run?

Rocsta
13th February 2007, 11:11
You're absolutely right, there is nothing showing in any programme guide for coverage on Sunday on either five or five US, but this is what the ticker said at the start of the programme "Next Sunday 18th February - look out for the whole of the NASCAR Daytona 500 here on five", no mention if it's live but it could be.

This must be a very late deal and they haven't had time to update the programme guides yet

cgs
13th February 2007, 11:21
it must be live because they won't have time to cut together a highlights for broadcast on the same day!

Rocsta
13th February 2007, 11:36
Yes I assume it will be live but it may be delayed coverage, I didn't mention anything to suggest it may be edited highlights hence why they said "...look out for the whole of the NASCAR Daytona 500....." ;)

cgs
13th February 2007, 11:57
also, its a good sign that they have films scheduled during the '500 because they are more likely to replace them than if it were regular programmes.

uskram
13th February 2007, 12:14
Just spoke to a very helpful lad at 5 tv and he's said that they were told this morning, that they are broadcasting delayed coverage starting at 12.10 am Monday morning (just after midnight Sunday) Ye-hah!

cgs
13th February 2007, 12:29
bring it on!

Pieter Dams
13th February 2007, 16:50
YES! that is great news! thanks a bunch, you guys :D

GARYGAZZA
13th February 2007, 21:20
Fantastic news!BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY LETS GO RACING.