PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal procedure?

ioan
22nd July 2008, 15:26
The engine of car number 22 is kept sealed in order to carry out further checks according to Article 5 of the
2008 FIA Formula One Technical Regulations. These checks will be done before the Hungarian GP.

http://www.fia.com/germanygp/documents/GER_08_Race_Report.pdf

It's on the last page.

DonJippo
22nd July 2008, 16:39
I would say yes it's normal FIA checking all is ok with the engine, does not mean they are expecting to find anything strange.

ioan
22nd July 2008, 16:46
I was asking because it seems that this time the FIA has released the results of the technical checking process later than usual.

Valve Bounce
23rd July 2008, 08:09
Maybe they are hoping to find some Gremlins in the engine. :eek:

ioan
23rd July 2008, 10:24
Maybe! ;)

Usually team take the engine back after races and put them through thorough tests to see how the different components managed worked during it's lifetime.
If the engine is to be used again than they will take it apart and rebuild it after verifying that everything is OK and the engine is able to do another race.

I found it unusual to have the engine impounded by the FIA.

SGWilko
23rd July 2008, 10:31
Maybe! ;)

Usually team take the engine back after races and put them through thorough tests to see how the different components managed worked during it's lifetime.
If the engine is to be used again than they will take it apart and rebuild it after verifying that everything is OK and the engine is able to do another race.

I found it unusual to have the engine impounded by the FIA.

Where you say 'used again' do you mean within the two race rule? The engine is sealed by the FIA during its cycle is it not? These seals can only be broken in the presence of an FIA official, and only for certain limited criteria. AIUI that is.

ioan
23rd July 2008, 10:45
Where you say 'used again' do you mean within the two race rule? The engine is sealed by the FIA during its cycle is it not? These seals can only be broken in the presence of an FIA official, and only for certain limited criteria. AIUI that is.

Bummer!
I think you are right, even if I was sure that they do it. :(

SGWilko
23rd July 2008, 10:53
Bummer!
I think you are right, :(

I'll print that off and show my wife - she says I am always wrong. :laugh:

Dave B
25th July 2008, 10:07
Completely normal and routine:

The FIA has begun its annual routine random checks on all Formula One engines, with Mercedes-Benz the first manufacturer whose power unit will be examined.

Formula One's current regulations feature an engine freeze, which prevents manufacturers from making technical changes over the course of the season from the specification that is lodged with the FIA at the beginning of the year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69428

Valve Bounce
25th July 2008, 11:00
Bummer!
I think you are right, even if I was sure that they do it. :(

No way Jose!! No work is permitted on that sealed engine! However, the FIA has the power to examine the engine to make sure it doesn't exceed 2.5 litres, etc., etc.

Knock-on
28th July 2008, 12:55
I would imagine that the engine they have used has had it's 2 races and was end of life.

Otherwise, I don't think Mercedes McLaren would be too happy about a couple of FIA grease monkeys pulling it apart and putting it back together for next weekend :laugh: