PDA

View Full Version : Rockingham campaign

Radders
27th January 2007, 11:27
In an admittedly poor and unstructured approach to lobby the various motorsport bodies involved in the decisions, I've started this thread, after looking at the BTCC.net circuit guide to see Rockingham denoted with the comment "Layout to be confirmed," with the vague hope that somebody with some clout might read and help assist their decision to keep the chichane in the Rockingham layout this year (off the front straight). It's mega and ranks as one of my all time favourite viewing spots for sights, sound and poo yourself excitment as 20 crazy people try to funnel down one by one. Marvellous!

Reading this paragraph over it sounds like some of the other useless threads that have appeared in the past - "What colour do you think Vauxhall should be this year," and that kind of rubbish - I promise this thread is intended for the prosperity if of touring car fan's every where.

Thank you for your time.

savage86
27th January 2007, 12:07
I dont think it will work, the chichane was why a lot of series didnt come back. However i cant see the harm with the BTCC cars they wont take off like the F3 car did.
However they have sidelined the chichane in 2006 on saftey grounds and to get people on side. Personally i think only somthing like a personal request from bttc to put it back will change their minds.

acorn
27th January 2007, 13:06
the chicane has always been one of my main reasons for sitting in the t1 stand...... guaranteed action!!!!!

would the single seaters on the bill be happy with it, probably not.

if the chicane were used for the saloons, would they use the old layout ie rejoining the oval at t3 instead of the new layout which re-joins at t4 exit?

is it practical to use 2 different(road course) configurations on the same day(additional marshals required)?

i wasn't at the gt meeting in late'06 which didn't use the chicane (or the run from t3 through t4) and you don't get the same impression when watching on the box so can't comment on whether the non use of the chicane detracts from the spectacle.

LiamM
27th January 2007, 14:44
Turn 1 is only blocked off by cones, and what I remember the chicane isn't used on the first lap - lots of cars, little room. If the single seaters didnt want to use it then they dont have to, just put the cones in a different place!

Funks
27th January 2007, 14:45
Not a 'racing' example but nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KdHyC6n4h4

Radders
27th January 2007, 15:43
Aaaannnnddddd......unclench

jonv
27th January 2007, 16:21
and the accident that put many off the turn 1 chicane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgx0PrnL34U

Radders
27th January 2007, 16:34
Whilst that is undoubtedly a terrifying accident, an F3 car (or whatever it was - no roof so not all that bothered!) weighs probably half that of a touring car and many more times the downforce. Can't see it being a possibility that a Super 2000 car would flip like that, rubbish excuse for taking the corner out for GTs or touring cars

Hazell B
27th January 2007, 18:19
It's mega and ranks as one of my all time favourite viewing spots for sights, sound and poo yourself excitment as 20 crazy people try to funnel down one by one. Marvellous!

As somebody who sat on your left while you were pooing yourself with excitment, I second your sentiments :up:

Even if it's just for one race, even one lap, it would make the day worthwhile.

Phil H
27th January 2007, 18:48
Personally, I do not want to race through the first chicane, I dont want to be in the Clio pack trying to get through there, its too dangerous.

Funks
27th January 2007, 19:11
Interesting you say that Phil... the word too stands out right before the word dangerous. Every other race anywhere else in a Clio is only dangerous. :laugh:

Certainly see what you are getting at. :up:

Les
27th January 2007, 19:13
all I remember seeing is Ben Winrow hitting the corner - ummm let's see, Clios second round with a lot of rookies out there all funneling into it - no thanks! I'll go with Phil

Marc W
27th January 2007, 22:31
Also it isn't going to be too good for the Formula BMW and Renault support races as they weigh even less than an F3 car.

Radders
27th January 2007, 23:54
Flipping heck, lets all get health and safety about motorsport....

Couldn't really give a hoot about the single seaters through there though, if they run the oval fine, just the heavy weight, low downforce tin tops is what I'm after!

Hazell B
28th January 2007, 01:20
It wouldn't have to be for all the races, though. I can see some wouldn't be safe, so why can't the track be altered with cones (or something suitable) for the touring cars only?

It wouldn't take that long and would add enourmously to the enjoyment.

Mark in Oshawa
28th January 2007, 02:04
I don't see a problem with that chicane except it should be sharper if it is to serve a purpose.

Of course, What do I know?? I wont likely be sitting in the stands at the Rock...

speedy king
28th January 2007, 02:22
Drivers make the choice to drive, it's down to them to use a bit of common sense a deal with the circuit just like any other. Single seaters i can understand but i see no reason why tin tops shouldn't use it. Yes Ben Winrow had a big one but the cushion barriers which were there served their purpose and were fine, blimey, same weekend and Rob Huff was pitched in to the concrete wall!!! He was fine...funny how we worry about a chicane for the tin tops with good barriers when they're hurtling along rubbing side by side with a concrete wall by their side :s

Bring on the chicane....

Radders
28th January 2007, 10:30
Here, here

acorn
28th January 2007, 12:35
Personally, I do not want to race through the first chicane, I dont want to be in the Clio pack trying to get through there, its too dangerous.

but you're unlikely to be in a "pack" when you first go through the chicane. you have to remember they don't use it on the first lap and after that the field tends to get into single file(unless someone gets a really good tow down the start finish straight which is less likely with the new layout).

acorn
28th January 2007, 13:00
I don't see a problem with that chicane except it should be sharper if it is to serve a purpose.

it's one and only reason for being there is because the (road course) rules don't allow the use of 2 (left in this case) banked corners one after the other.

LiamM
28th January 2007, 14:23
This might be rather stupid but if they drivers think its dangerous, why dont they just not go full pelt into it and maybe break a little more and carry less speed?

Iain
28th January 2007, 15:02
Because not everyone will do that and they'll just fly past the people who do brake.

I think it's a bit of a Mickey Mouse corner like Dingle Dell was. Ok it looks spectacular, but you can't get cars side by side through there. I'd rather see the cars go into turn one side by side instead.

Funks
28th January 2007, 15:33
No, you can't overtake or get side-by-side... but some corners are there to challenge a drivers racecraft. There are many corners at circuits around the world that you can't get past at.
Having said that, Zanardi found a way to pass Herta at the Corkscrew. :dozey: :p :