PDA

View Full Version : Paul Tracy at Edmonton: contender or pretender?

ChicagocrewIRL
21st July 2008, 19:36
Does anyone REEEEALYY expect Paul Tracy to be competitive in a one-off entry in unfamiliar equipment with Vision Racing and Derek Walker ???

I see his entry into this race as just pure WINDOW DRESSING. I think no matter how good you are,you cannot just come walk in, get in a ride, and expect to run up front just like that. If he had been in at least one or two more races this year I would say yeah he is a contender.

I hope I have to eat my words, but PT just don't crash out any of the championship contenders with your "daring" driving.

icehammer97
21st July 2008, 20:13
Does anyone REEEEALYY expect Paul Tracy to be competitive in a one-off entry in unfamiliar equipment with Vision Racing and Derek Walker ???

I see his entry into this race as just pure WINDOW DRESSING. I think no matter how good you are,you cannot just come walk in, get in a ride, and expect to run up front just like that. If he had been in at least one or two more races this year I would say yeah he is a contender.

I hope I have to eat my words, but PT just don't crash out any of the championship contenders with your "daring" driving.

I think there is a chance he could do well. Look at what Ryan Brisco did in his first race for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing in 2006 and the Glen. Started 10th finished 3rd. Now yes he had run in the IRL before which PT hasn't but it didn't seem like the former CC drivers had that big of a problem in the first RC race of the year. Also PT, and the other former CC drivers, know this track while the IRLers don't and it will take a session or so just for them to figure our the track. Is he a favorite to win? no. Could he finish in the top 10? very possibly. Will he finish the best on his team? As long as he finishes yes.

bblocker68
21st July 2008, 20:23
8th place.

Easy Drifter
21st July 2008, 20:38
He will upset the 'Princess'. Then the fireworks will start!

gm99
21st July 2008, 21:07

Well, if Tracy really is not competitive, the championship contenders shouldn't really be anywhere around him, should they ;) - unless of course they are lapping him...

IMO, Tracy (and the other former CC drivers) do have one advantage - having run on the track previously. Personally, I can envision two szenarios for PT: Either he will drop out rather early on because of trying too hard or he will have a solid mid-pack finish (around P8 to P12).

NickFalzone
21st July 2008, 21:49
He'll either crash or finish in the top 10.

turbo-engine
21st July 2008, 22:35
Paul Tracy at Edmonton:

1) contenter?
2) pretender?
3) offender?

1) nope
2) maybe
3) YES! I bet that he'll push at least two cars off the track. http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

And I guess he will watch out for Seb Bourdais

ChicagocrewIRL
21st July 2008, 22:47
Looking back at the history of one-off efforts, the one and only successful, and most successful one-off was Al Unser Sr. winning the 1987 Indianapolis 500; from no-ride in the 87 season, to 4 time Indianapolis 500 Champion.

I can't really think of any other examples of successful one-off efforts. I think successful would be defined as a podium finish.

celtichound
21st July 2008, 23:49
The optimist in me would like to say "never say never". The realist says... a win or a podium....while not impossible, is extremely unlikely. Unfamilar car, unfamilar team, little testing, not a great combination. It is a track he is familar with, just not one he's had much success at. Also, several other drivers (Rahal and Wilson to name a couple) have also raced here....much more successfully, so I think that negates any possible preceived advantage.
There are several drivers/teams he should finish ahead of.....if or course he doesn't cause or get caught up someone elses misfortune and/or he has mechanical issues. Lord knows I've more than once said "what the he_ _ were you thinkin'". Anyways I wish him good luck, I think he's going to need a great deal of it.

icehammer97
22nd July 2008, 00:10
Looking back at the history of one-off efforts, the one and only successful, and most successful one-off was Al Unser Sr. winning the 1987 Indianapolis 500; from no-ride in the 87 season, to 4 time Indianapolis 500 Champion.

I can't really think of any other examples of successful one-off efforts. I think successful would be defined as a podium finish.

Don't forget when JPM and Helio (the first win) won Indy in one offs with teams not in the seires.

harvick#1
22nd July 2008, 06:17
PT will finish 15th at best

he will be in contact with atleast one driver

MAX_THRUST
22nd July 2008, 09:39
I wont get to see the race, but as long as he doesn't do a San Jose on anyone, (re- TAg incident) or is he being paid to do that?

I'm sure he will beat many of the back markers, you know Danica and Andretti. Seriously, though PT target should be to beat all Andretti Green drivers. Michael said he was too old and didn't want him in his team, so lets see PT rub that in Andrettis face please.....

Gluaistean
22nd July 2008, 10:52
He will upset the 'Princess'. Then the fireworks will start!

Made me spill my coffee.

Chris R
22nd July 2008, 11:10
If Darren Manning can finish second at the Glen then I do not see why Tracy can't win.... Seriously, do you think Walker's car will be any worse than Foyt's?? Tracy has two things going for him - #1. he has been on the track before and #2 - he is out to prove a point... That being said - podium or crash.....(maybe even both :p )

Rex Monaco
22nd July 2008, 15:27
After the first practice, PT will be confronted by Danica because he cut her off as he left the pits.

He will clearly be heard saying, "ST%U B%&#@, or I'll get Milka to kick your @$$." She will then stomp away mumbling something about how she's the show.

But seriously, while probably not a contender for the podium, he will place in the top 10 and ahead of Danica. And that's all he needs to do for his first time back out.

bblocker68
22nd July 2008, 15:59
PT doesn't need Milka to roll Danica. His mom will do it with pleasure and then go after Bev :)

pits4me
22nd July 2008, 18:45
Many speculated his one-off at Indy would amount to nothing. He proved them wrong. Those who know Paul know what he is capable of when he has a big chip on his shoulder. A Thursday thru Saturday schedule could fall in his favor.

Dr. Krogshöj
22nd July 2008, 19:48
Who cares? Drive the car PT, race.

garyshell
22nd July 2008, 19:50
Who cares? Drive the car PT, race.

Abso-freakin-loutely!!!! My sentiments exactly! I am just so pumped to know he will be back in the car. Little else matters.

Gary

Easy Drifter
22nd July 2008, 20:50
To be serious for a change, a lot will depend on the shape he is in. We all know he has a weight problem and if he he hasn't been keeping fit he will fade quickly.

garyshell
22nd July 2008, 21:04
To be serious for a change, a lot will depend on the shape he is in. We all know he has a weight problem and if he he hasn't been keeping fit he will fade quickly.

Actually we know he HAD a weight problem. He then started working out under pretty hardy regimen and got into good shape. No telling how that has held over though.

Gary

drewdawg727
23rd July 2008, 00:50
I think he will do well at the race.
He isn't in a one off...he is racing in the rest of the road races this year (minus Surfer's)

celtichound
23rd July 2008, 03:29
I think he will do well at the race.
He isn't in a one off...he is racing in the rest of the road races this year (minus Surfer's)

Thats great info :) , whats your source?

drewdawg727
23rd July 2008, 03:43
I saw it on this board I believe..

ChicagocrewIRL
23rd July 2008, 03:43

oh really ???? Sez Who ???

Rex Monaco
27th July 2008, 16:06
But seriously, while probably not a contender for the podium, he will place in the top 10 and ahead of Danica. And that's all he needs to do for his first time back out.

He finished 4th and WAY ahead of Danica Patrick.

"I was fighting with many different drivers, passed a lot of guys, made a lot of really daring passes in the infield," he said.

"My car wasn't so strong in the faster corners, where I could run up on guys. So I had to really make my moves in the infield.

"I did that on Justin (Wilson). I did it to (Ryan) Hunter-Reay and Danica, Dan Wheldon. They were all done in the tight, twisty stuff, which is hard to get by."

Old3Fan
27th July 2008, 16:46
Typical Paul in the Wall, he will give them the chrome horn, too old and too fat , he doesn't have a chance thread. WELL he finished 4th. Two days in the IRL and having not driven since the LBGP he is in my opinion one of the top 5 drivers now running in the IRL. Marko the menance and Danica the IRL poster, (do you know who I am) child and 3/4 of the the rest of the IRL drivers can't carry Pauls water bottle. This driver needs to be in the series. He has a tremendous loyal following, is colorful and tells it like it is. This guy is a winner. Being one of the first 100 members of this forum I have heard this stuff since the beginning and it is really getting old. I only recognize maybe 10 forum names now from the past and what really bugs me are some of the 1st posts or new member posts who seem to me to be pretty ignorant about racing in general.

FORMULA-A
27th July 2008, 17:01
Typical Paul in the Wall, he will give them the chrome horn, too old and too fat , he doesn't have a chance thread. WELL he finished 4th. Two days in the IRL and having not driven since the LBGP he is in my opinion one of the top 5 drivers now running in the IRL. Marko the menance and Danica the IRL poster, (do you know who I am) child and 3/4 of the the rest of the IRL drivers can't carry Pauls water bottle. This driver needs to be in the series. He has a tremendous loyal following, is colorful and tells it like it is. This guy is a winner. Being one of the first 100 members of this forum I have heard this stuff since the beginning and it is really getting old. I only recognize maybe 10 forum names now from the past and what really bugs me are some of the 1st posts or new member posts who seem to me to be pretty ignorant about racing in general.

Completely agree. Seeing PT make some Bad A** passes on supposed IRL Vets and CHAMP CAR guys was just wonderful. He may be difficult, he may be a diva but he BE A DRIVER. I also thought it was very cool and classy to see HELIO and then Justin talk about how great it was to race against him. I think we have a glimpse of what this series can be. To this observer it would seem that we can get the series on the road to redemption if we could see some (SOME) of these great drivers in GREAT Machinery that sounds better and LOOKS BETTER.

beachbum
27th July 2008, 18:46
I saw it on this board I believe..Well, if you saw it here, it has to be .............?????

bblocker68
27th July 2008, 18:53
***** to be a PT hater today, lol.

He'll never do any good in IndyCar :)

weeflyonthewall
28th July 2008, 16:56
PT running on the grass down pit lane when the Princess tried to squeeze him out? The Canadian Intimidator returns in style with a solid top five. Imagine if he had a car like Dixons?

garyshell
28th July 2008, 16:59
PT running on the grass down pit lane when the Princess tried to squeeze him out? The Canadian Intimidator returns in style with a solid top five. Imagine if he had a car like Dixons?

It was actually Ryan Hunet Reay. The announcer said Danica at first and then corrected it once they saw the green added to the blue and black initially show.

Gary

inthemarbles
28th July 2008, 18:27
I am so proud of Paul Tracy! He ran a great race and showed what a true professional he really is. And can we please stop with all the San Jose references? PT was NOT the aggressor in that whole thing. He tried to walk away several times and Tag kept at him until Paul simply had enough and retaliated. Also, with all due respect to Seabass, PT had many opportunities to clean his clock and never did.

Old3Fan, I couldn't agree with you more!

hacker-pschorr
28th July 2008, 18:50
Good job Paul!!!! I was unable to see the race, I scared a few people at the sports bar when I saw the highlights later that night (I yelled somewhat loud).

Who did Danica bump into? They kept showing the clip over and over, but I could not place the car.

speeddurango
29th July 2008, 03:27
He walked in, got in a ride, and ran up front.

FORMULA-A
29th July 2008, 04:43
Good job Paul!!!! I was unable to see the race, I scared a few people at the sports bar when I saw the highlights later that night (I yelled somewhat loud).

Who did Danica bump into? They kept showing the clip over and over, but I could not place the car.

Danica was wacked by her teammate, MARCO after both repeatedly ignored commands from their respective race callers (Kyle Moyers for MS. Thing and Mikie for Marco) to let TK by. After the race DP claimed her radio wasn't working... my sources tell me it was. Kyle Moyers thought so during the race as well.

Civic
29th July 2008, 05:45
Now we just need 'dinger.

bblocker68
29th July 2008, 16:06
:) +1

dataman1
29th July 2008, 19:06
Danica was wacked by her teammate, MARCO after both repeatedly ignored commands from their respective race callers (Kyle Moyers for MS. Thing and Mikie for Marco) to let TK by. After the race DP claimed her radio wasn't working... my sources tell me it was. Kyle Moyers thought so during the race as well.

FYI, This year Marco's radio is connected to Paul Ziggy Harcus who calls the shots. Reports in the paddock at Homestead stated Ziggy was hired before the start of the season, brought in by Michael to push the kid.

domaza
29th July 2008, 20:23
Great ride!

ZzZzZz
1st August 2008, 22:43
Where's ChicagocrewIRL's follow-up post? Is PT better than you thought? Was this a fluke? Will bringing him in be a coup for Indy Car? What are your thoughts?

ChicagocrewIRL
2nd August 2008, 23:16
Where's ChicagocrewIRL's follow-up post? Is PT better than you thought? Was this a fluke? Will bringing him in be a coup for Indy Car? What are your thoughts?

Well hey there ... and yes I have eaten my words with fava beans and a fine chianti.

Paul Tracy IS the real deal, IMHO, not washed up, not a has been, but a matured skilled driven individual who single handedly could raise the ICS in the media. I have never been a fan of Paul Tracy but I concede he is NOT a pretender anywhere he drives.

But yes he did still lose to Helio and will always lose to Helio no matter how many times we replay it.

jimispeed
2nd August 2008, 23:58
Well hey there ... and yes I have eaten my words with fava beans and a fine chianti.

Paul Tracy IS the real deal, IMHO, not washed up, not a has been, but a matured skilled driven individual who single handedly could raise the ICS in the media. I have never been a fan of Paul Tracy but I concede he is NOT a pretender anywhere he drives.

But yes he did still lose to Helio and will always lose to Helio no matter how many times we replay it.

How could we replay it?? I've been trying to find video/investigations on this incident for years, and I can't find it anywhere!! A few articles, but no pics or video!!

IMO PT won, and I would love to see the evidence to prove it.....

ChicagocrewIRL
3rd August 2008, 00:39
How could we replay it?? I've been trying to find video/investigations on this incident for years, and I can't find it anywhere!! A few articles, but no pics or video!!

IMO PT won, and I would love to see the evidence to prove it.....

I have it on videotape transferred to DVD and the side by side synchronized replay ABC did shows clearly the wreck by Laurent Redon and Buddy Lazier occured milliseconds before Paul Tracy completed his pass. The yellow came on BEFORE Paul Tracy's nose was in front of Helo's right front tire.

Mad_Hatter
3rd August 2008, 01:04
Really ChicagocrewIRL? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_frzAK-Md8)

FORMULA-A
3rd August 2008, 03:48

Hah! Agreed MAD HATTER! Not to get too X-Filesy but there is a high camera angle that was supposedly the END OF THE DISCUSSION but it has NEVER BEEN seen. Although the shot that we just got directed to seems to be it. Just like Tracy's car owner, BARRY GREEN, who just left after that INDY and is still, I believe, sailing on his sailboat somewhere.

INDY CONFIDENTIAL

garyshell
3rd August 2008, 04:43
I have it on videotape transferred to DVD and the side by side synchronized replay ABC did shows clearly the wreck by Laurent Redon and Buddy Lazier occured milliseconds before Paul Tracy completed his pass. The yellow came on BEFORE Paul Tracy's nose was in front of Helo's right front tire.

If the wreck occurred milliseconds before the pass was complete, pray tell how was the yellow brought out in those intervening milliseconds. If this were true, it would be the fastest reaction to a wreck by race control in the entire history of racing.

Gary

jimispeed
3rd August 2008, 06:12

Now why couldn't I find that???

Thanks a million Mad_Hatter!!!!

I still believe PT got it!! There is further evidence I have seen, but haven't yet found it!!

Rex Monaco
3rd August 2008, 15:20

The commentator says, "now we move the image over to the right"

And they do so, AFTER Tracy has completed the pass.

Then he says, "there is a caution light there that has just switched on."

End of discussion.

markabilly
3rd August 2008, 15:59
Clearly the undisputed evidence is that PT was the winner of the race, but not the winner of the affection of Tony G and the IRL.....and the latter was more outcome determinative than the former as to when the pass was completed

maxmach
3rd August 2008, 20:18
Hey, I think the thread was about PT at Edmonton, not Indy. Everybody knows who really won there. Anyway, PT showed himself well at Edmonton, and once again I will say, anyone who has a high level of driving skill and a personality is welcome. We need those type of people. Anything that makes the racing exciting and gets their names,and the irl name in the paper is good. Just remember, it takes both.

ZzZzZz
4th August 2008, 11:57
If the wreck occurred milliseconds before the pass was complete, pray tell how was the yellow brought out in those intervening milliseconds. If this were true, it would be the fastest reaction to a wreck by race control in the entire history of racing.

Gary

Yeah, going by his delusional wording there...

The truth is there was enough time, and the caution *should* have been shown before the pass, but it wasn't. Ruling the other way would have left Penske upset about the incompetent officiating.

It's also quite possible Helio let off because he was told to expect a caution (which didn't come when it should have. So I think by the rules PT should have gotten the win, I don't think he quite earned it.

Either way, it has nothing to do with how good he is. Did Mikey suck because he never won Indy? No. Was Arie a great driver because he won Indy? No, just good.

garyshell
4th August 2008, 16:11
Did Mikey suck because he never won Indy?

Nah, Mikey sucked because he was a whiner. <big ol' grin> Sorry, I could not resist getting in a poke at my least favorite CART driver ever.

Gary

inthemarbles
4th August 2008, 19:21
Nah, Mikey sucked because he was a whiner. <big ol' grin> Sorry, I could not resist getting in a poke at my least favorite CART driver ever.

Gary

What do you mean, "was"? :laugh:

garyshell
4th August 2008, 19:36

Gary

What do you mean, "was"? :laugh:

No argument there!

Gary

pits4me
5th August 2008, 03:27

Gary

Don't forget everything was hooked into the TG time-warp protection module to ensure an IRL winner. :D

Any evidence supporting a clean PT pass was quickly dispensed with. Maybe we'll see Paul on Canada's Dancing with the Stars this fall.

MAX_THRUST
5th August 2008, 15:33
At the time I remember thinking TG didn't want a non IRL car to win and he certainly wasn't going to upset the Captain by saying PT won, especially a CCWS team at that.

However now I think TG would love the next 500 to finish so closely. I will always believe PT won it but never got the acolade, and Helio won it once. Its not about favouritism for me, I do think PT was stuffed for pollitical reasons. I hope PT gets a shot at it next year and a drive for the season.

HAs there been any news on a drive for the rest of season...